June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• @lifeislove87 thank you, you didn't scare me one bit! Honestly, the more information I know going into something typically the easier I can handle it. Fix that I pass  :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • It's official: failed my one hour with a 196.  Ugh.  Thankfully since this is my 2nd go-around, I get to skip the 3-hour.  Nurse educator and RD appt to be scheduled.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is my first pregnancy and I failed my one hour glucose tolerance test. I took it in the morning and didn't even eat anything beforehand. I have to go back on Friday for the three hour test and get my blood drawn four times. I'm pretty bummed. Please tell me it isn't that bad and ease my fears about possibly having gestational diabetes.  
  • @kyreno11, not eating before hand might be to your detriment. Try to eat some protein before the three hour. 

Honestly, GD isn't that bad, nor very hard to follow; diet wise. I really can still indulge in everything I used to prior, but in smaller portions and balance. 
  • @kyreno11 I agree with @Stankonia2014 Your sugar will likely be lower if you eat protein, even if you have a high fasting blood sugar. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Stankonia2014 I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything (even water) for 12 hours before my three hour test. 
  • My numbers are completely out. of. control. this week and I'm really frustrated... along with not being able to get a hold of my endo doctor! Geez!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry @EmeraldNC
    I hope your endo will get you called back ASAP.
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Update on me -
    My A1C was a 5.5 on Friday which is the best it has been for a while.
    The baby is measuring in at 2lbs, around the 70%tile.  I guess my ultrasound was actually to check on what they thought was either a cyst or a contraction.  The good news was it was a contraction I guess.  
    So all is well right now.  Doc is still happy with my progress.  
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• kyreno11 said:
    @Stankonia2014 I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything (even water) for 12 hours before my three hour test. 
    That's because at the 3 hour they are testing your fasting blood sugar initially... then how your body reacts every hour after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What is a good number for fasting blood sugar. When I wake up in the morning it's usually around 3.8 - 4.0 is that a good number or too low (I should add that I wake up feeling like shit every morning)
  • @EmeraldNC that's super frustrating, I hope your numbers start to get more back to normal and that you can get a hold of your endo.
  • @lifeislove87  What are you using to test your number?  I use a glucose meter and my numbers are supposed to be 90 or below.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have my 1 hour test today. I'm super nervous! I had McDonald's about 3 hours before the test! I hope that doesn't skew it. They told me I don't have to fast but that not eating an hour or 2 before would make it more accurate. I really want an ice cream sandwich but I guess I should wait until later for that :(
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • lifeislove87lifeislove87 member
    edited March 2017
    @EmeraldNC I have a one touch glucometer that they gave me at the diabieties clinic. I always forget that we use mm/mol, my number when I wake up has been 70-72ish.
  • My doctor went straight to a week of testing instead of the glucose test due to problems I have with reactive hypoglycemia. I started testing yesterday but my numbers are high this time. Ugh. 158 after lunch. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @lifeislove87 Those are really good numbers.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmeraldNC thanks, I'm still trying to figure this all out 
  • I failed the 1 hour test :( It needed to be under 130 and I was at 139. I'm assuming this is from what I ate earlier in the day. I just made my appointment for the 3 hour test next Wednesday morning. 

So if you have GD is it related to how much sugar you eat? Or what other crappy foods you eat? Or is it just another pregnancy symptom that some of us get and some don't?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • alm52386 said:
    I failed the 1 hour test :( It needed to be under 130 and I was at 139. I'm assuming this is from what I ate earlier in the day. I just made my appointment for the 3 hour test next Wednesday morning. 

So if you have GD is it related to how much sugar you eat? Or what other crappy foods you eat? Or is it just another pregnancy symptom that some of us get and some don't?
    In my experience, it's not really food related, but more genetics and sometimes weight related. Though I know very fit, active women who have it. Diabetes Mellitus runs in my family, my mother and grandmother has 'sugar diabetes' during pregnancy too. I'm also overweight now, though I wasn't overweight (and was very active) with DD1 and still had it.
  • @alm52386 I was overweight when I got pregnant with DD3 and had GD... Lost a lot of weight, and then was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  So obviously have GD with this child and I've been a healthy weight for about a year and a half now.  For me, it is genetics (although I do think my period of being overweight helped with the onset).  My mom and dad are both diabetic, as well as my paternal grandfather, and maternal grandmother and grandfather.

It is just like anything else... you can definitely have risk factors that may increase your likelihood of a disorder/symptom/etc... but the reality is... some women have it, and others just don't.

Good luck on your 3 hour! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How long does it take to start seeing good numbers?  I've just started testing today and so far my first two are high (before breakfast 115 and 1 hour after breakfast 156).  Does it take time for things to go to normal once you start following the diet?
  • Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited March 2017
    lmudra said:
    How long does it take to start seeing good numbers?  I've just started testing today and so far my first two are high (before breakfast 115 and 1 hour after breakfast 156).  Does it take time for things to go to normal once you start following the diet?
    No, you should see it right away. It will take time for you to figure out what spikes your BS or what you need to modify.

Are you washing your hands or using alcohol wipes before you test?
  • @lmudra I still have not seen a change in my morning blood sugars after diet change, metformin and insulin.  So it will depend on how your body reacts to the diet as far as your fasting blood sugar.  What did you eat for breakfast?  That number should be effected immediately from your diet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am washing my hands.  I had a piece of toast and peanut butter for breakfast.  They told me no fruit or cereal for breakfast.  She did say in the morning you are the most insulin resistant.  Hopefully lunch will be better!
  • What are you guys seeing for the high numbers? I just got a 188. Hmmmm. I guess chicken and rice is checked off the list. I obviously will talk to the doctor, but I feel like I need more than one high number to start that conversation. I know sometimes they can bounce around.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • LAMCH1980 said:
    What are you guys seeing for the high numbers? I just got a 188. Hmmmm. I guess chicken and rice is checked off the list. I obviously will talk to the doctor, but I feel like I need more than one high number to start that conversation. I know sometimes they can bounce around.
    Did you talk to a GD educator?  She told me how many carb choices I get per meal/snack. I'm on my first day of tracking.
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    What @lmudra said.  Your nutritionist/dietitian should have given you guidelines of carbs/fats/etc to be eating. 

eta: my GD nutritionist didn't refer to endocrinology until 3 blood sugars were out of range.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited March 2017
    My highest number has been 135 (after pasta), 2 hours post meal.  

Hit post itoo soon:  usually they like you to stick with 1/2 c of carbs, I usually have to literally measure 1/2 c. My dietician equated it to the size of a fist, I can have protein the size of a deck of cards. 
  • EmeraldNC said:

eta: my GD nutritionist didn't refer to endocrinology until 3 blood sugars were out of range.
    Same- they said 3 high readings and I need to call them.  Hopefully lunch is normal so I do have to call already!
  • Just tested- first normal reading!
  • Sitting in the waiting room at my Endo now...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What do y'all do for your evening snack (carb + protein)?
    I want a dessert like option...I'm not a salty snacked, especially at night.  Any ideas?

@EmeraldNC hope it goes well, let us know!!
  • So all they did was increase my insulin at night. I know this is to help my morning sugars but it makes me nervous because the higher up it goes (insulin) the more lows I have unexpectedly during the day. Sigh... Oh well. I'll give it a shot (Literally! Ha!) and see how it goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lmudra said:
    What do y'all do for your evening snack (carb + protein)?
    I want a dessert like option...I'm not a salty snacked, especially at night.  Any ideas?

My doctor suggests a cup of ice cream!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • EmeraldNC said:
    lmudra said:

My doctor suggests a cup of ice cream!
    Yes to the ice cream! It actually helped me to have a better fasting number the next morning. I don't know why, but it was the perfect snack. 

• My doc hasn't sent me to see anyone yet. They wanted me tracking for a week and said we'd take it from there. Normally my issue is low blood sugar. I had a plan and met with a dietician last time, but it was 4 years ago and I can't remember how much of what I am allowed to eat. 

@EmeraldNC, good luck with your new dosage. I hope it helps.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • lmudra said:

Snickers ice cream bars have 18g of carbs, Haagen Dazs peanut butter ice cream bars have 21g. Greek frozen yogurt is another good option I was given, but have yet to find.
  • Ok I found these froyo bars that have 5g of protein and 16g of carb.  The brand is Yasso.  Hopefully they're yummy!!!