June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• @Knottie42089123 Don't NOT eat if the doctor doesn't tell you not to.  From my understanding, when you don't eat your liver dumps sugar, so that could give you a high blood sugar.  I would eat 2 hours beforehand, probably not later than that... and eat high protein, low carb.  Things to stay away from would be fast food, candy, cereal (even the healthy kind, it's weird I know!).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed my one hour.  Like massively failed.  I'm getting referred to the diabetes clinic.  Tips and tricks from anyone who's been there?!?  Thanks!
  • I probably won't have the test for a couple more weeks. I haven't had any symptoms, but I am a little worried about it. At my second to last appointment, I was measuring two centimeters ahead, but at my last appointment, it was down to only one centimeter ahead. At the ultrasound, he had a large abdomen. I really really hope I don't have it, but I'm worried I could. 
  • lmudra said:
    I failed my one hour.  Like massively failed.  I'm getting referred to the diabetes clinic.  Tips and tricks from anyone who's been there?!?  Thanks!
    The diet isn't as daunting as it seems. All docs have different requirements, so it's hard for me to say what yours will be, It's mainly going to be watching your carb intake. I'm limited to 15-30 per snack and 45-60 for meals. 

Breakfast - I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast. I make mini baked frittatas on Sunday for the week. Eggs with any veggies, meat, etc., yogurt and pb/jelly sandwich, or oatmeal.

Lunch - I'm a leftovers eater, so my lunch usually consists of that or a chef salad. 

Dinner - meat, veggie, starch (1/2 c of potatoes, rice, pasta).

Snacks - veggies/ranch, cottage cheese, pb/apple, cheese/crackers, nuts, or protein bars.

I test 2 hours post meal and my blood sugar has to be less than 120. My morning fasting sugar has to be less than 95. This is the only pregnancy where I've had issues with my fasting not being within limit. I start insulin tonight. I have no advice on that as of yet. 
  • Just failed my one hour (like really badly) and was wondering if they will make me do the 3 hour or just go right to diet control. Also wondering, I ate pad Thai an hour before and butternut squash soup for breakfast (pregnancy makes me not want normal breakfast foods). Just wondering if I "made" myself fail. 
  • Just failed my one hour (like really badly) and was wondering if they will make me do the 3 hour or just go right to diet control. Also wondering, I ate pad Thai an hour before and butternut squash soup for breakfast (pregnancy makes me not want normal breakfast foods). Just wondering if I "made" myself fail. 
    Well, I don't think the pad Thai helped. If you haven't had GD in other pregnancies then you'll likely do the 3-hour. I do know women who have failed the 1-hour miserably and passed the 3-hour.
  • I wish I wouldn't have eaten before the test.  I had a small bagel with cream cheese about and hour and half before.  Not sure if that would've changed anything.  Maybe I'll request the 3 hour.  They told me they didn't need to do it bc my level was so high.
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    @lmudra I really doubt a bagel with cream cheese 1.5 hours beforehand would make you fail terribly.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Emerald27 and @Stankonia2014 I hope so, I've had so so many complications this pregnancy I really don't need another (not that anyone deserves GD or that I should be guaranteed an easy pregnancy). This is my first pregnancy that has made it this far so I don't know what to expect 
  • EmeraldNC said:
    @lmudra I really doubt a bagel with cream cheese 1.5 hours beforehand would make you fail terribly.

Ok that makes me feel better actually!
  • I'm type 2, I've been on Metformin and Bedtime insulin since the beginning of this pregnancy.  I started lunch and dinner insulin and it's been raised yesterday because my numbers have just been out of wack.  I have been diabetic for about 7 years now, since I found out I was gestational with my son and I was a lucky 5%ER of it never going away.  I'm happy to helprovide with questions and totally understand the sadness and how much it sucks to find out you are limited or have to watch what you eat.  I feel for all of you gals :)
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• I failed my 1 hr too with a reading of 178. My doctor told me not to fast. I then took the 3hr one last week and passed it. I tried to stay away for juices and sweets for three days before the test and the doctor told me to add a piece of bread to every meal. 
  • BS is 120 this morning.......... I. GIVE. UP.

Not really... but for right now, I am SO aggravated. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmeraldNC, I started insulin last night, how quickly should I see a difference? My fasting was 115 this morning.
  • @Stankonia2014 Well, according to my doctor, you should see a difference almost immediately.  I however, have YET to see a difference.  I started at 12 units of insulin a night, and am now up to 48 units.  They up it every week, but still no change.  In fact, this has been the worst week (fasting blood sugars wise) this entire pregnancy.  I am supposed to go to the endo doctor this afternoon... so I am sure they will increase it again, just not sure if they will jump a lot higher or not.  They've only been increasing it 2-6 units at a time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm chillin in the waiting room waiting for the timer to finish. The drink was not bad, it tasted like orange soda. 
  • So I went to my midwife appt yesterday after testing for a day. My fasting number was 64 and all my meals were in the 80s. She said I'm low risk and to wait a month and test again after a couple big meals full of carbs. I've been stressed this whole pregnancy about being diabetic and it turns out I'm more likely hypoglycemic. She told me I most likely failed the test with my dd because my body did not like being starved and then given just junk. It was very insightful after spending the second half of pregnancy with dd completely stressed out. 
  • @EmeraldNC, that's a bummer. Have they tried a different brand of insulin? 
  • @Stankonia2014 No, they haven't mentioned it.  But just since my last post, they have called and said they had to switch my appointment to tomorrow, which I can't do because I already am seeing my therapist tomorrow.  So, I guess I just wait until next week?  Honestly, I am not all THAT worried about it (just frustrated) because my fasting numbers were the same way with DD3 (I just wasn't diagnosed until about 30 weeks or later) and everything was fine... So, I am trying to stay positive about my numbers and this pregnancy too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Question around how a1c levels play into the equation for testing...

I saw my endocrinologist yesterday for my Hashimoto's and PCOS-IR.  She has been monitoring my glucose and a1c for years now due to the PCOS-IR.

Obviously those blood tests don't replace the GD test at my OB but I think the results should be relevant, right?
  • @michaela0704  An A1C between 5.7 and 6.4 percent signals pre-diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed when the A1C is over 6.5 percent.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • thanks @EmeraldNC !  My a1c levels have been high 4's and low 5's over the past few years, waiting on my b/w results now.  If my a1c is still below 5.7 does that have any significance for GD?  or is it only the fasting post-meal glucose levels?  I just notice everyone is discussing glucose levels but not really seeing how a1c plays into this... or maybe it just doesn't.  I'll ask my OB on Friday and my endocrinologist once my labs are back, but thought you (or others) may have some experience with this and could let me know your experience.
  • Well... I would think if your blood work showed a low A1C then it would indicate you did not have gestational diabetes.  HOWEVER, when I went in for my initial appointment at the Endocrinologist, my A1C was 5.2 and I obviously am still diabetic.  It WAS (hasn't been since I've been pregnant) very well controlled.  But it will be different for you since you aren't already diagnosed as diabetic.  Although I don't know for sure, I would bet if your A1C is below 5.7 then you're in the clear for GD.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Someone in another group was asking about this and I guess A1C doesn't indicate if you have gd according to their dr.  Not sure how/why but that might be why most dr's don't just test A1C as opposed to the drink.  I wonder what the science behind the difference is.  
  • This week has been rough for me as well when it comes to my morning numbers.  Running between 105 and 119.  I see my endo tomorrow but they raised my noon and evening insulin before meals to 6 units each.  I just hit 25 weeks, so now things start to get hairy for me again.
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• So I officially belong here,received the official GD diagnoses after another pretty big failure. I meet with the diabeties clinic in Tuesday. Any advice or anything to expect for a newbie. I already know the diet very well, I have an immediate family member with diabeities, just wondering if they are going to put me on insulin/ metformin right away or if they'll have me monitor my sugars first. 
  • @lifeislove87, I'm pretty sure they'll have you monitor for awhile and once they see your numbers, they'll decide if you need insulin at that point. 
  • @lifeislove87 They will likely do the educational part for you first, and see if you can control with diet and exercise.  If your numbers don't change, then they will discuss medication with you.  I think it is just different depending on doctor and patient.  My first pregnancy I just did insulin.  This pregnancy I am on metformin and insulin.  I have a close friend who was able to control with diet and exercise.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • danij0danij0 member
    edited March 2017
    @michaela0704 @lmudra
    The A1C is the average of a person's blood glucose levels over the past ~3 months. It is more often used to check long term for diabetics. The oral glucose test specifically looks at how quickly the glucose is cleared from your blood. A1C can be measured in pregnancy but GD normally shows up around 24-28 weeks so checking the levels of the previous 3 months wouldn't be a good indication.
    In my experience, when I had prediabetes my A1C was around 5.6% (so just under prediabetes level) but my GTT was higher than normal thus giving me the diagnosis. I haven't done my pregnancy glucose test yet, so no clue what will happen. My last A1C (a couple years ago was 5.0%). Hoping for the best.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @danijo That makes total sense why A1C wouldn't be a good indicator!  Thanks for posting this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tjvantjvan member
    I failed my 1 hour test with 141 (compared to 135) so I have to take the 3 hour test. So bummed!
  • @Stankonia2014 @EmeraldNC thanks for your input. I'm actually on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy due to incompetent cervix/risk of preterm labour, do you think that will make my sugars harder to control? 
  • @Stankonia2014 @EmeraldNC thanks for your input. I'm actually on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy due to incompetent cervix/risk of preterm labour, do you think that will make my sugars harder to control? 
    Sorry to hear that. Everyone is different, obviously, but I'm like the least active person ever and I effectively (in the past) managed mine with diet alone.
  • @Stankonia2014 thanks for the hope, not that insulin would be terrible, but with insulin and progesterone injections I'd feel like a pin cushion 
  • So I am absolutely horrible with needles... I've gotten a tad bit better about them since this pregnancy, however I still can't watch them poke me for blood work or shots... and they can't tell me when they're about to do it or my anxiety spikes. 
    IF I test positive for GD, do I have to go on insulin shots or is there another way to control it?? Because there is no way I'm poking myself, lol. I don't eat crappy or have a family history of it but I don't really know if that has any effect on my results. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • lifeislove87lifeislove87 member
    edited March 2017
    @BellaO21, nope you don't always need insulin when you are diagnosed with GD. As for needles, honestly you get used to them, this was an IVF baby and since my cervix is incompetent I'm on progesterone injections. They aren't too bad and it's very motivating when your end goal is a healthy baby. I should also add that I'm 5'7 and 135 pounds, I eat super healthy (all organic and homemade food, nothing processed and no junk food) and was excercising daily before bedrest, I failed both tests badly. Not trying to scare you it GD happens to some people regardless of your weight/eating habits. That being said statistics are in your favour and you are likely to pass !!!