June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

I'm starting this because many of us have tested or will be tested soon. 

Feel free to ask questions, vent, etc.

Re: GD Support Thread

• You were reading my mind.  My 1-hour GTT is Friday.  I had it last time so I'm just assuming I'll have it this time too.  For better or worse, it kept me really healthy during my last trimester 4 years ago!  Anyone know if I can just offer to skip the 3 hour test if I fail the first? #jokingnotjoking
  • I selfishly started this because I'm having trouble with my fasting sugar (for the first time ever in any pregnancy). They're putting me on insulin and I'm super bummed. I'm super controlled and have never had any issues, I sort of feel like a failure. 

Hoping someone can commiserate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mezalune, I skipped the three hour and just went right to testing. I've been testing for about 3 weeks now. 
  • I have my test on Monday. I lucked out and passed the test with dd. My mom had GD with two of her three pregnancies and although that has nothing to do with me, it still has me on edge. 

@Stankonia2014 did you have GD with all your other pregnancies as well?
  • @itsfine, I did. DD1 was undiagnosed thanks to wonderful military care, but DD2/3 were diagnosed and I had zero issues with regulating my blood sugar with diet alone. 
  • I anticipate that I'll have it again. I also had a lot of trouble regulating my fasting number and ended up on insulin too @Stankonia2014 :| Will you have to go in for stress tests and ultrasounds because if it?
  • I have my one hour on Wednesday.  They said I don't need to fast so should I just eat breakfast like normal?  I'm overweight so I'm nervous I'm going to fail.
  • Thank you for this thread! I am BEYOND frustrated! I'm diabetic in life, not just pregnancy.. and my numbers were amazing. This pregnancy I CANNOT get my fasting number under control. This morning it was 151!!! They have been increasing my insulin weekly at my appointments, and I'm still unsuccessful. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Heliumgirl717, yep, starting 3/21 I'll go for weekly NSTs, I just scheduled them to 6/8.

@EmeraldNC, yikes! That sucks. I read or heard somewhere that boys cause wonky numbers. Which would be true for me. Are you having a boy?
  • @lmudra My test is this week too - they told me I only needed to fast (no food or water) for the hour before, but the nurse said to keep an eye on carb levels in whatever I ate beforehand as it can skew the test. 

I passed the 1 hour by a single point with DD so planning on some turkey bacon and other low carb treats (not an egg eater, sadly) to help me not starve but not fail!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • @Wino0920 My 1 hour is tomorrow too... let's do this.

This is my first pregnancy and my first GCT ever. I've had insane, uncontrollable sugar cravings this entire pregnancy so it's going to be hard if I have to cut it out. I actually moved my test UP two weeks because I've had horrific carpal tunnel syndrome the last few weeks, and Google told me that this could be a sign of diabetes. I started getting paranoid.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • @EmeraldNC, interesting! I don't know how much truth there is to it though.
  • @Wino0920 My 1 hour is tomorrow too... let's do this.

This is my first pregnancy and my first GCT ever. I've had insane, uncontrollable sugar cravings this entire pregnancy so it's going to be hard if I have to cut it out. I actually moved my test UP two weeks because I've had horrific carpal tunnel syndrome the last few weeks, and Google told me that this could be a sign of diabetes. I started getting paranoid.
    Good luck, girl!!!
  • lmudra said:
    I have my one hour on Wednesday.  They said I don't need to fast so should I just eat breakfast like normal?  I'm overweight so I'm nervous I'm going to fail.
    I would eat something sensible like whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I wouldn't eat anything sugary like cereal, pancakes etc. 
  • I have mine in two weeks. I stupidly scheduled that appointment for 6:30 PM which means I will have to watch what I eat ALL DAY! Ugh! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Stankonia2014, I'm sorry you're dealing with insulin already. It seems like it's completely out of your control, so please be kind to yourself! I think this thread is a good idea as we approach this testing. 
    I struggle with reactive hypoglycemia and insulin resistance in regular life due to PCOS. If I eat the wrong foods, my blood sugar skyrockets and then drops really low. My last pregnancy, I struggled with numbers in the low 40's on a regular basis. All it took was cereal with milk or carbs without protein.  Because of this, they let me skip the glucose and go straight to testing my blood sugar. I have the option this time again and I'm stressing about it big time. It's tricky because it wasn't an official GD diagnosis, but I had a strict diet set by a nutritionist and serious blood sugar control issues. I was on metformin for a while, but that was a disaster. Maybe I can help with food ideas and support when some of us get a diagnosis. I've learned everybody's body reacts differently to different foods and it takes some patience and creativity. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • keniialisekeniialise member
    edited February 2017
    What is your range numbers they want you to be in daily? I just want to see if they are the same or if different places have different standards. Mine are 70-120, tomorrow is my last day of the two week testing and I just went over for the first time tonight - I'm just wondering if this means I could have GD. 
  • I had GD with dd, It was pretty well controlled with diet though. I think I had 3 high readings after meals and my fasting was always normal. I did get crazy low numbers twice though, in the 40s. I decided just to skip the test this time and start the diet and testing myself. My new lancets are due to arrive tomorrow so I guess I will be starting Wednesday. 

@mezalune when I had dd 4 years ago they weren't doing the 1 hr test anymore for anyone. The 3 hr test made me sick and not eating until noon was terrible. Doing that with a kid in tow this time sounds terrible, that's why I'm skipping it. I'm in California, btw. 

@lmudra I don't think body type changes your chances much, not with gestational diabetes at least. I have personally known 4 people to have GD Including myself and none of us were even close to over weight. I am at my heaviest 115, 5'2. My cousin is the same. I'd say we have a pretty average diet. My cousin got it out of the blue with her second. My boss had it and she is so tiny and ate REALLY healthy. My husbands cousin has it too, she is tall, but very thin and healthy. the one thing that did up my chances is a family history of diabetes. 

• @keniialise, mine is < 120 post meal and < 95 fasting.
  • @lmudra, being overweight isn't an automatic. In my last mom's group I was the only overweight one that had GD, the other women who were diagnosed in my group were actually within normal weight. One was even a Crossfiter and model. 
  • @keniialise, I was told 95 fasting, 115 after meals, but I was consistently over 115, so they re-set my limit to 135. I am thinking that you going over one time might not be a problem. Good luck! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @lmudra my doctor said fasting is best, but if you want to eat something, protein is the best way to go (something like eggs and bacon/sausage if you're doing it in the morning). He said to stay away from carbs like bread and anything with natural or added sugars, including fruits, juice, syrup, etc. The nurse told me some women get really nauseous if they chug the glucose drink on an empty stomach, and if you vomit you obviously have to redo it.
  • My test is in 2 weeks... I scheduled it for their first appointment of the day so that I don't have to worry about watching what I eat or anything like that. 
    I do get super sick and pretty much glued to the bathroom if I have too much sugar (even before pregnancy) so I'm really nervous to have to drink this stuff.  :#
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I just ate a big serving of cheesy scrambled eggs before my test last time and did fine. I am hypoglycemic so I wanted to play it safe. This time I'll probably be even safer and just eat hard boiled eggs. I can't handle much sugar or I'll crash hard. 
  • What is 'standard' for testing timeline?

I called today as I'll be 25w at my appt this Friday to verify whether or not I was having it done and they said no, that they will give me the drink at my '24w' appt and I'll be tested at my 28w appt... so in ~ 3 weeks.

I like the idea of not having to wait around after drinking it... definitely was not my experience last time.
  • @michaela0704, I think 24-28 weeks is standard. I tested early due to previous GD. I know some docs test early if you're overweight. 
  • @michaela0704 I was given the drink at my 24 week appt to have the test done at 28 weeks as well. 
    For those of you with GD in previous pregnancies, did you have any symptoms? It seems like a lot of the symptoms mirror common pregnancy symptoms like increased hunger, thirst, and urination. 
  • My one hour test is two weeks from today. I have a history of prediabetes so I'm pretty nervous. Last I knew I was not prediabetic anymore, but its been awhile since my last test. I'm trying to watch my sugar intake but I'm having a hard time passing up on free cake/sweets at work.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @michaela0704 Both this time and last I was given the drink at my 24 week appointment to take for my 28. 
  • @MKRLTX, not really, many of the symptoms mirror typical pregnancy symptoms. I will say I was excessively thirsty, but then again, who knows if it was GD related.
  • This has been a concern for me this pregnancy as I have PCOS-IR and have been ridiculously thirsty over the past week... I'm drinking more than 100 oz. of water when I used to be terrible at drinking water in general, I can't seem to get enough, I'm just not thrilled about the prospects...
  • I'm taking the 3 hour test tomorrow. I'm nervous because last pregnancy, even though my numbers ended up being fine and I did not have GD, I got incredibly dizzy and nauseous at the lab and had to lay down the whole 3 hours on some table in a back room. It was so embarrassing. Really hoping it was a fluke and I don't repeat it tomorrow. For what it's worth, I think my reaction was the minority and most people handle the test just fine. Good luck to everyone!
  • A few thoughts as I am catching up on this thread -

1. I have friends who are skinny minnie's and had GD, and friends that are severely overweight and didn't have it.  Being overweight can increase your risk, but doesn't mean you'll have it.
    2. My range is <90 fasting, and <120 2 hours after a meal (or <135 1 hour after a meal)
    3. If you do get diagnosed with GD, please don't be discouraged... the diet really isn't that bad!  And I still am able to indulge and stay within my limits most of the time!  I had GD diabetes in my first pregnancy (over 3 years ago) and was fine after pregnancy.  Then last year, I did develop diabetes (likely onset by weight gain) and have been on a diabetic diet ever since.  I lost 40 lbs and my numbers were amazing.  Now, here I am pregnant again, and that pesky fasting number is driving me nuts!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MKRLTX said:
    @michaela0704 I was given the drink at my 24 week appt to have the test done at 28 weeks as well. 
    For those of you with GD in previous pregnancies, did you have any symptoms? It seems like a lot of the symptoms mirror common pregnancy symptoms like increased hunger, thirst, and urination. 
    No symptoms. It was a total shock for me. 
    I agree the diet really isn't that bad. It's probably how we should all be eating anyway. They provided me with a dietician last time who did tell me having GD does up your child's chance of having diabetes later in life. Seeing as my kids paternal grandfather died from not taking care of his, my dad has it and his baby sister had juvenile diabetes we do our best to stick with it eating healthy as much as possible. But hearing that sure did make me want to raise her with healthy eating habits. 
  • I had my GCT this morning. I was all prepared for an hour long wait, brought my laptop in so I could get some work done, etc, but I didn't end up waiting long at all. They gave me my drink and then I had my prenatal appointment after. By the time the midwife came in and she answered all my questions and we listened to the baby's heart beat, I only had about 15-20 minutes longer to wait before getting my blood drawn.

I'm still waiting for results which they said should be on the portal later today. I keep checking my email for a notification.

Since I don't have my results yet, I decided to eat a couple Girl Scout cookies. Blissful ignorance over here...
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • kat0607 said:
    @lmudra my doctor said fasting is best, but if you want to eat something, protein is the best way to go (something like eggs and bacon/sausage if you're doing it in the morning). He said to stay away from carbs like bread and anything with natural or added sugars, including fruits, juice, syrup, etc. The nurse told me some women get really nauseous if they chug the glucose drink on an empty stomach, and if you vomit you obviously have to redo it.
    I agree, my doctor said the same thing. I plan to fast and take the test first thing in the morning. Mine is scheduled for March 9th.  
  • I have been flagged for the 3 hour test because baby's abdomen was in the 90th percentile at my anatomy scan. I have been really nervous, but this thread has been great about calming my "what if I have it" nerves. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, ladies. Sending healthy vibes to all of you. 
  • Mine is tomorrow. So it doesn't matter whether we eat or not beforehand?