May 2017 Moms

Clothes: Maternity and Otherwise

Re: Clothes: Maternity and Otherwise

• @nda_roxybabe, I'm a big fan of button up tops and dresses for breastfeeding.  Cownecks and wraps are good.  Around the house, I like shorts and tanks. I really like the ribbed maternity tanks from the Gap for nursing.  When I went back to work, it was easier to pump in skirts and blouses than dresses.  
  • I need jeans!! So my problem... I want a pair of dark skinny jeans so I can wear with boots of converse. I find that my legs are a little thick and when I find jeans that fit my thighs the waist is too big and they sag! I don't want to spend too much...I just bought a pair of Large Jessica Simpson ones from motherhood, they annoy me, the waist is too big they sag. Gaps size 10 fit perfect in week 8 when I bought them, now they are too tight on thighs, going to try to exchange them. Any other suggestions/ideas?
  • Loading the player...
  • @Cubslove12 Pea in the Pod Hannah fit. They stretch over my manly calves and don't stretch out too badly. They're not super cheap but they run sales not too infrequently if you get their emails. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @Cubslove12 Have you tried pink blush? I really like their skinny jeans. They are very stretchy. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @Cubslove12 I second Pink Blush skinny jeans. 

DH just informed me that we have to go to a gala next month for his job. Any ideas where to get formal maternity dresses that don't cost hundreds of dollars?
  • @MoshiMoshi7 Is there any place to rent one like Rent the Runway?

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @MoshiMoshi7 try Ross! I've had really great luck with finding formal dresses there! 
  • @hp_momma I don't have a link but my Destination Maternity had Jessica Simpson skinny jeans that fit me well.  No sagging, and tight all the way to the ankle.  I don't think they had real front pockets though, I agree I don't like that. 
  • Jen_Shoes said:
    @hp_momma I don't have a link but my Destination Maternity had Jessica Simpson skinny jeans that fit me well.  No sagging, and tight all the way to the ankle.  I don't think they had real front pockets though, I agree I don't like that. 
    My maternity jeans don't have pockets either. I don't get it!!! WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY???? they have fake pockets which I'll never understand on majority of pants. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Some of the pink blush styles have front pockets!

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I did just order a dress from pink blush for my baby shower. Has most people found the fits to be true and good quality?
    CP September 2019
  • @Cubslove12 I second Pink Blush skinny jeans. 

DH just informed me that we have to go to a gala next month for his job. Any ideas where to get formal maternity dresses that don't cost hundreds of dollars?
    I had to wear a formal full length gown during my last pregnancy and I had such a hard time finding a dress. If you have plenty of time you can look at ASOS and pink blush. I actually found a gown at Burlington coat factory that wasn't maternity but it had ruching on the sides and was perfect.. only $40 too. My sister had a baby 7 days before the event and ordered a dress from renttherunway.com , it's nice because they send you two sizes.

• sarah0985 said:
    I did just order a dress from pink blush for my baby shower. Has most people found the fits to be true and good quality?
    I ordered a couple things from Pink Blush and the sizing was ok but I didn't care for the quality. The fabrics are kind of cheap, I would say comparable to Old Navy. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @wombthereitis so ok for a one or two time use type of thing? So basically, I shouldn't expect weekly use which I wasn't anyway. 
    CP September 2019
  • I've had good luck with Pink Blush.  I have 2 shirts, 1 dress, and 2 jeans.  All of the quality seemed fine.  I've also had good luck with Asos for formal dresses.  I totally forgot about that site.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Thanks ladies, I totally forgot about Asos, I'll have to go check them out. When I googled, Rent the Runway has a bump friendly section, so hopefully there is something there.

And to add, I've ordered a pair of jeans and two shirts from Pink Blush and have been pleased with the quality of both. And they're all comfy, so I thought it was a win.
  • I got my shower dress from Pink Blush last time- I liked the style and price, but the quality was iffy. I'd liken it to a Forever 21 for preggos.
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @sarah0985 I have ordered quite a bit from pinkblush but I have to say their shirts and boyfriend cardigans are on the thinner side. I have a sweater that is thicker that is really nice and I ordered a pair of fleece lined leggings that I hate. So it all depends on what you get. The shirts I don't mind being thin because I wear a tank under. I have found that as I'm larger chested, pinkblush caters to smaller so keep that in mind. I just bought some dresses and a top I'm waiting to be delivered so hoping those are keepers 
  • Thanks ladies. At least I'm prepared for either good quality or at least suitable. My mom brings it next week when she visits for my shower so will see then. 
    CP September 2019
  • @sarah0985 I have ordered a bunch from pink blush and sent some back and kept some.  The quality is middle of the road as PP said but it's cute and for short term wear it's ok.  The only caveat I've found is that for busty body types you may need to size up in order to fit.  This wasn't across the board for me, so some styles were ok in my usual size and in some styles in the same size I needed the next size up to fit my boobs.  They are pretty good about quickly refunding on the returns but they are no Nordstrom...you have to pay for shipping both ways.  I like pink blush enough to order another dress or two for my showers if that helps.  
  • @rkstro2 thanks for that. I feel good about the sizing. I ordered a size up just in case. I'll report back my opinions. I also order 2 tunics
    CP September 2019
  • Short ladies: any tips on where to find cute, not too pricey (non-maternity) maxi dresses that won't simultaneously sweep the floor when wearing them?
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @kayemjay2 Last summer I found a number of maxi dresses in the petite section at JCPenney.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Thanks for all the recommendations. I want to feel cute, stylish and I want to show off my bump! Most of the clothes I have seen are not cute and fit weird. For some reason all maternity jeans are saggy in the butt, I don't get it! I have never had that problem finding jeans in the past, I have plenty of butt to fill in jeans! I don't want to spend a lot of money so definitely shopping at Old Navy, Gap (with coupons), Target, and Macys (with coupons). I have a few pairs of jeans, workout gear, and five shirts. I am 26 weeks today and I think I need to drive to a better mall (30 minutes away from home) and buy a few more items I feel beautiful in. I figure I will be wearing these clothes for the remainder of my pregnancy and for the first few months after baby is born. 
    Me: 30 - DH: 33 
    Married 06/26/10
    TTC Since December 2014
    Diagnosis: anovulatory cycles
    IUI #1: 04/17/16 (100mg Clomid & Ovidrel) = BFN 
    IUI #2: 05/14/16 (100 mg Clomid) = BFN
    IUI #3: 06/11/16 (100mg Clomid)= BFN
    IUI #4: 07/12/16 (Non-medicated) = BFN
    IVF#1: 08/28/16 = BFP!
    Baby Girl Coming 05/21/17 <3
  • You guys always have really smart responses, so here's one: I need ideas on where to shop for sweatshirts. Specifically a zip-up hoodie. It doesn't have to be super cute or name branded---I need an everyday workhorse that'll fit this bump. Thanks!
  • @SKZW Target had some maternity sweatshirts but they weren't zip-ups. I considered buying one and then I remembered I'm secretly hoping winter will end soon! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • SKZW said:
    You guys always have really smart responses, so here's one: I need ideas on where to shop for sweatshirts. Specifically a zip-up hoodie. It doesn't have to be super cute or name branded---I need an everyday workhorse that'll fit this bump. Thanks!
    Have you looked at Gap? I got one last time, it was in the activewear section of their maternity selection. 

May '17 labor memes
  • kayemjay2 said:
    Short ladies: any tips on where to find cute, not too pricey (non-maternity) maxi dresses that won't simultaneously sweep the floor when wearing them?
    I have some old navy maternity maxi dresses and they are very comfortable and flattering. They sell them in short, although you specifically said not maternity....
  • @starphish18 I love that! May be too fancy for my shower, but would be perfect for maternity photos!
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @sarah0985: that dress is super pretty, perfect for a springtime shower!
  • @skzw thanks. It was perfect. I was nervous cause I don't normally order clothes online. But I was very satisfied. 
    CP September 2019
  • @sarah0985 your dress is beautiful! I was looking at those bras, or at least something similar, but was hesitant to purchase them. I'm a 36DD the last I was measured, but have definitely filled out more. I'm thinking XL would be the size I'd order...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @babymc517 i would go with XL if I were you. I'm waiting to order anymore till after the baby to see how big I get. I would definitely recommend this brand. I havent run or done a workout with them but I've done yoga in them and felt enough support. My only complaint is that I can't buy only nude or light (all packs come with black and I don't need any more) and also, but it's a general nursing bra complaint, is how high they seem to come up. They're definitely full coverage and won't work with low shirts. They are a slight bit lower than my destination maternity bras though. 

On that note, has anyone found a low neckline nursing bra that doesn't break the bank and is comfortable?
    CP September 2019
  • thanks @sarah0985! I'm so hesitant to buy ones without the wire because I never feel truly supported. I may still get them anyway just to at least wear around the house if they aren't as supportive and might have to suck it up and get a wired one (even though my normal wired bras now are so uncomfortable) for when I actually leave the house. Ugh the downside of pregnancy I guess! 

Side note: I'm so stinking hot today! It's 71 here in SWFL right now and I feel like its 100! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @sarah0985 Love the dress!

I ended up ordering these 2 options for my shower:

Really not sure on this one, but I wanted 2 options:
     https://us.asos.com/asos-maternity/asos-maternity-deep-plunge-dark-floral-strappy-midi-dress/prd/7612419?iid=7612419&affid=14564&channelref=email&orderref=250971352

I'm definitely not petite height wise, but I don't mind if this is a bit shorter:
     https://us.asos.com/asos-maternity/asos-maternity-petite-midi-pinafore-bodycon-dress-in-floral-print/prd/6950339?iid=6950339&affid=14564&channelref=email&orderref=250971352

and this for my maternity photos, in dark green:
    https://www.lulus.com/products/mythical-kind-of-love-wine-red-maxi-dress/271074.html

All should be here when I get home, so fingers crossed!

Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • bubsaliciousbubsalicious member
    edited February 2017
    @nda_roxybabe oh my lanta I love the maternity picture dress and can't wait to see the pictures!
    @sarah0985 That dress is super cute! Maybe I do want a more fitted dress for my baby shower!
  • I ordered the short one from pink blush for my shower. Planning on a pink cardigan to go over. Then wearing the long gown for maternity photos. I am not a dancer but that's the dress photo. 

• @SWE2: I just spent an extra-long minute staring at her feet, trying to figure out the placement/direction of her left. Do you remember the Angelina Jolie black dress where she stood with her hip at a jaunty angle? Same thing, trying to figure it out; it seems too far back!
    P.S. Will you be wearing the white flowers in your hair too?