June 2016 Moms

Postpartum recovery questions and rants

123457»

Re: Postpartum recovery questions and rants

• Anyone else still shedding? I feel like my hair is falling out more than ever, and its way more dry. I thought this was supposed to be over by now! 
    My hair is still coming out too. I lost hair til 9 months pp with my girls so I thought that was normal but maybe it's not lol...
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Anyone else still shedding? I feel like my hair is falling out more than ever, and its way more dry. I thought this was supposed to be over by now! 
    YES I am still shedding and it's getting embarrassing, I've developed a little bald spot in the front of my head where it naturally parts. I can't just pull my hair back in a pony tail now, I have to where it down and curly with gel to hide it. Fortunately it's winter so if I have to run out without my hair done I just throw on a hat.
    Meanwhile, the hairs just continue to come out on the comb and in the shower. Are there any vitamins that might help? (Besides prenatal which i'm still taking.)
    If you go to Sally's or some other hair product supply place they might be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Loading the player...
  • Anyone else still shedding? I feel like my hair is falling out more than ever, and its way more dry. I thought this was supposed to be over by now! 
    Yup. I chopped a lot of hair off recently so at least they're shorter, but now I have short little flyaway hairs growing in and more still falling out.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yes definitely still shedding... and I jinxed myself before by saying I hadn't gotten my period. Merry Christmas to me :s
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Yes definitely still shedding... and I jinxed myself before by saying I hadn't gotten my period. Merry Christmas to me :s
    That sucks!!! The first one is kind of a doozy.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Yes definitely still shedding... and I jinxed myself before by saying I hadn't gotten my period. Merry Christmas to me :s
    Yes I forgot how much I hate having my period! That's gotta be one of the best parts of pregnancy and BFing. Besides, you know, the baby :p
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Tawny87 said:
    Yes definitely still shedding... and I jinxed myself before by saying I hadn't gotten my period. Merry Christmas to me :s
    Yes I forgot how much I hate having my period! That's gotta be one of the best parts of pregnancy and BFing. Besides, you know, the baby :p
    Yes! Not getting a period is glorious, but when you do get them, there is hell to pay. At least for me. Mine are way worse than when I was on the pill.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • arteduc8arteduc8 member
    edited December 2016
    I got my first pp period the week I went back to work just before Thanksgiving. Not sure if the stress of that coupled with starting pumping had anything to do with it. Seriously sucks though. I thought with ebf I wouldn't get one for awhile. I got my second one just a week and a half ago, so it's looking like they will be regular. 

I'm also still shedding like crazy and hate it. I wear my hair in a pony tail so that my shoulders and back don't get covered in all the stray hairs. 

Has anyone had skin issues lately? I suddenly got a dry red scaly patch of skin right below my eyebrow a couple weeks ago and it won't go away. Now an identical one is showing up on the other eye. I'm thinking maybe excema, but it's not itchy. Never had anything like this before. The symmetry of this new one is weird. 

And on top of all that I'm struggling with my weight. I managed to only gain 20 during pregnancy and seemed to lose all but 15 immediately post partum. Then with breastfeeding I found I was constantly hungry. And the weight went right back on. I'm struggling with how many calories I can actually cut while bf and with finding time to exercise since I'm back to work FT. I already get up at 5am to get ready for work and the evenings are crammed with baby time, dinner, and chores. Anyone else in the same boat? 
  • arteduc8 said:
    I got my first pp period the week I went back to work just before Thanksgiving. Not sure if the stress of that coupled with starting pumping had anything to do with it. Seriously sucks though. I thought with ebf I wouldn't get one for awhile. I got my second one just a week and a half ago, so it's looking like they will be regular. 

I'm also still shedding like crazy and hate it. I wear my hair in a pony tail so that my shoulders and back don't get covered in all the stray hairs. 

Has anyone had skin issues lately? I suddenly got a dry red scaly patch of skin right below my eyebrow a couple weeks ago and it won't go away. Now an identical one is showing up on the other eye. I'm thinking maybe excema, but it's not itchy. Never had anything like this before. The symmetry of this new one is weird. 

And on top of all that I'm struggling with my weight. I managed to only gain 20 during pregnancy and seemed to lose all but 15 immediately post partum. Then with breastfeeding I found I was constantly hungry. And the weight went right back on. I'm struggling with how many calories I can actually cut while bf and with finding time to exercise since I'm back to work FT. I already get up at 5am to get ready for work and the evenings are crammed with baby time, dinner, and chores. Anyone else in the same boat? 
    Same boat! I gained 16 during pregnancy and lost 26 pounds within 2 weeks of having her and was stoked! I've since gained back 10 because of the insatiable appetite BFing has brought. I feel like a real life Cookie Monster  :#
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • arteduc8 said:

Sounds like eczema. I get small patches occasionally on my arms, usually when the weather gets colder. It's not usually itchy for me. Aveeno makes a pretty good over the counter eczema cream or you could always get a prescription from a dermatologist.
  • arteduc8 said:

Same boat! I gained 16 during pregnancy and lost 26 pounds within 2 weeks of having her and was stoked! I've since gained back 10 because of the insatiable appetite BFing has brought. I feel like a real life Cookie Monster  :#
    Realized I made a typo in my first post... Gained 20 lost 15 right after birth but have since gained it back breastfeeding. And yes, I too feel like a real life Cookie Monster. 
  • @adiaz132003 how are you doing??
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Ugggggh got my first period.  Waaaah.  It was good while it lasted.  Now I really have to buckle down and buy those washable pads that I've been putting off.
  • Ok I know we keep talking about post partum hair loss, but how much is too much? I've been losing it for months but now it's getting alarming. I pull huge clumps out in the shower and it continues throughout the day. I have long hair, it was always pretty full, and now my scalp is showing through.

I'm tempted to get my thyroid checked again bc I was on thyroid meds during pregnancy, but it was ok when the Dr checked it afterwards...
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Ok I know we keep talking about post partum hair loss, but how much is too much? I've been losing it for months but now it's getting alarming. I pull huge clumps out in the shower and it continues throughout the day. I have long hair, it was always pretty full, and now my scalp is showing through.

I'm tempted to get my thyroid checked again bc I was on thyroid meds during pregnancy, but it was ok when the Dr checked it afterwards...
    I lost until 9 months pp after my twins, I did not lose much this time with my son. I thought I lost a ton with my girls but I never had scalp showing.I don't know if this is because I have excessively thick hair? My advice would be to set up an appt. Good luck!!!
  • Anyone else still dealing with hemorrhoids? Mine flared over the weekend and started bleeding in the middle of a marathon training run. Like blood running down my legs flared (sorry TMI). I'm going to the doctor today, but this is such a literal pain in the ass!!
  • Anyone else still dealing with hemorrhoids? Mine flared over the weekend and started bleeding in the middle of a marathon training run. Like blood running down my legs flared (sorry TMI). I'm going to the doctor today, but this is such a literal pain in the ass!!
    Ouch, not that bad no. But, I could imagine that if there was any remaining irritation/swelling left, something like long distance running would irritate to the point of bleeding. I had problems for about 4 month PP, and still on the rare occasion when I definitely don't drink enough water. If you're marathon training you're probably already pretty hydrated but remember your water. And this may sound really weird, but you can always borrow some of Calvin's diaper rash cream to try to keep things from getting too irritated.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
    Ouch, not that bad no. But, I could imagine that if there was any remaining irritation/swelling left, something like long distance running would irritate to the point of bleeding. I had problems for about 4 month PP, and still on the rare occasion when I definitely don't drink enough water. If you're marathon training you're probably already pretty hydrated but remember your water. And this may sound really weird, but you can always borrow some of Calvin's diaper rash cream to try to keep things from getting too irritated.
    Yes, I'll be carrying a tube of aquaphor during my marathon in two weeks!! It's been super dry here (even by normal desert standards), and I think I may have been a little dehydrated. I'm getting a super fun suppository prescription from my Dr... I feel like an 80 year old...
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Ok I know we keep talking about post partum hair loss, but how much is too much? I've been losing it for months but now it's getting alarming. I pull huge clumps out in the shower and it continues throughout the day. I have long hair, it was always pretty full, and now my scalp is showing through.

I also took thyroid meds during pregnancy, but my levels checked out as normal at my 6 week postpartum appointment. A few months later I asked to have them checked again because I was having some anxiety and depression issues, and -- lo and behold -- they were more out of whack than they've ever been, with a TSH of 14. If I were you I'd go in for a recheck. 
    Oof, not that bad! I'm a rower, and once in a while a long piece will irritate them (and so did the stomach bug when I had that), but pretty minimal bleeding. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have them on and off forever. Good luck, hopefully you can get that taken care of. 
    I still deal with them but not as bad as you're experiencing. They will pop out and be uncomfortable but that's about it. I just assume they are here to stay. Maybe I should name her Ethel. Hahaha. 
    I still deal with them but not as bad as you're experiencing. They will pop out and be uncomfortable but that's about it. I just assume they are here to stay. Maybe I should name her Ethel. Hahaha. 
    I almost spit my ice cream on my desk. And yes, I am having ice cream in the middle of the day. I am going to be so fat once I stop breastfeeding
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
    I almost spit my ice cream on my desk. And yes, I am having ice cream in the middle of the day. I am going to be so fat once I stop breastfeeding
    I ate Savannah's blueberry waffles for breakfast, then had 4 lactation cookies. Ya know, because I need them. No judgement here, mama!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • edited February 2017
    Anyone else still dealing with hemorrhoids? Mine flared over the weekend and started bleeding in the middle of a marathon training run. Like blood running down my legs flared (sorry TMI). I'm going to the doctor today, but this is such a literal pain in the ass!!
     you were totally right about the diaper rash cream for the hemorrhoid issue. I was able to run my 12 miler with no issue. The rash cream worked way better than the plain old aquaphor!
  • I gained 50 pounds during pregnancy, now 7 months this later I'm down 41.  Most of it came off while BF, which only lasted two months.  Now I'm continuing to struggle with the last 9, and then my goal is another 10 after that.  I joined a boot camp type fitness gym and it has helped a ton but my problem is eating my feelings when I'm frustrated, which is often!  Lol.  Dang those guys Ben and Jerry for their half baked ice cream!!
  • I gained 50 pounds during pregnancy, now 7 months this later I'm down 41.  Most of it came off while BF, which only lasted two months.  Now I'm continuing to struggle with the last 9, and then my goal is another 10 after that.  I joined a boot camp type fitness gym and it has helped a ton but my problem is eating my feelings when I'm frustrated, which is often!  Lol.  Dang those guys Ben and Jerry for their half baked ice cream!!
    Don't be too hard on yourself, 9 pounds away from your pre-baby weight is awesome!!

I find that BFing plus being exhausted all the time I am constantly starving and craving sweets. I've actually gained 10 pounds since giving birth  (after all the swelling went away)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    My husbands company is doing the real appeal program so I am trying to follow along with him. The biggest thing they say leads to success is calorie tracking. Maybe if you write it down you will there will be less chance of eating your feelings.
  • adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited February 2017
    Of your trying to lose a few pounds I always highly recommend doing Paleo.  It was the easiest 10 lbs me and my husband lost and it was in one month.  I ended up having to start eating bread again cause I lost more than I wanted but DH loved it.  Once you get some good recipes, it's pretty easy to follow and there's no counting calories.  Paleogrubs.com is where we found our best recipes.
  • I.do good when I actually log my food into my fitness pal, plus it coordinates with my Fitbit.  I've been doing a lot better (beach season coming up!) .  I don't necessarily fall off the "wagon" as much as I tend to be too lenient with letting my feet drag, lol!