June 2016 Moms
Options

Postpartum recovery questions and rants

Re: Postpartum recovery questions and rants

• Options
    amangels2 said:
    Does anyone else find they are crying all the time? The smallest thing will set me off, it's incredibly annoying.
    ETA: I am 9 days pp 
    I have cried at least once everyday (ugly cry too) and cannot seem to make it through a single book yet without bawling... Incredibly annoying and I guess par for the course according to my OB.  He said it would start to be worrisome if we continue to lose it daily after a month or so.  I am 8 days PP.
  • Options
    I had the same thing with my first. I cried because I was happy or sad or because someone said the word baby. I wasn't depressed, just overfilled with every emotion. Man, my hormones were crazy! It started to slow down after a few weeks, but I don't think I was completely through it for a few months. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok time to vent.  Hopefully it's just baby blues but every day feels worse.  I am almost  5 days pp and every evening I get horrible feelings of dread and sadness.  DS does these cluster feeds once a day where it's a non stop cycle of eating, peeing, pooping and crying when he's out down.  He won't nap in that time.  Every peep he makes make me worried it's gonna be him fussing and idk when he'll go down for actual sleep.  I cry, get sad, and sometimes think "what have I done?  Then during the day I'm suPer happy and calm and never wanna put him down.  I'm gonna talk to the midwife about it Thursday.
  • Options
    So much pain today!!! I'm super happy I ended up with a section but man I forgot how much pain there is, especially with 3 kids to take care of.
  • Options
    Ok time to vent.  Hopefully it's just baby blues but every day feels worse.  I am almost  5 days pp and every evening I get horrible feelings of dread and sadness.  DS does these cluster feeds once a day where it's a non stop cycle of eating, peeing, pooping and crying when he's out down.  He won't nap in that time.  Every peep he makes make me worried it's gonna be him fussing and idk when he'll go down for actual sleep.  I cry, get sad, and sometimes think "what have I done?  Then during the day I'm suPer happy and calm and never wanna put him down.  I'm gonna talk to the midwife about it Thursday.
    I'm sorry! That is so hard. 
    I hsd pp anxiety with my second, and I wish I would have gotten more help. Good luck talking to your modwife. Be super honest, and don't be afraid to push for whatever help you think you need. Talk to you spouse too, they can help you monitor your mood changes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry! That is so hard. 
    I hsd pp anxiety with my second, and I wish I would have gotten more help. Good luck talking to your modwife. Be super honest, and don't be afraid to push for whatever help you think you need. Talk to you spouse too, they can help you monitor your mood changes. 

Yeah I've been very open with DH and some close friends plus my mom.  They are gonna keep an eye on me and they totally understand.  I just hate this feeling and really hope it passes.
  • Options
    5 days pp and I still have these beefcakes : (. I think I'm going to take a diuretic today because they hurt so bad.
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    5 days pp and I still have these beefcakes : (. I think I'm going to take a diuretic today because they hurt so bad.

Ouchies.  That doesn't look fun.
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:

Ouchies.  That doesn't look fun.
    Right!!! I guess that's what I get for bragging about no swelling when I was pregnant lol!
  • Options
    Mastitis! Omg this is excruciating! Has anyone experienced this yet?! DS2 is 2 weeks old tomorrow and I noticed this past weekend that I was a little more sore and tender on my left side in addition to feeling like I had the flu. I went in on Mon and sure enough I have mastitis.  They prescribed antibiotics and I've been on them for a little over 48 hrs now.  I've been pumping and nursing constantly (or feels that way anyway) but it doesn't feel like it's getting better yet. They said to come back in if no improvement in a few days so I'll be calling tomorrow first thing. I'm hoping it's not an abcess :( 
  • Options
    etr152517 said:
    Mastitis! Omg this is excruciating! Has anyone experienced this yet?! DS2 is 2 weeks old tomorrow and I noticed this past weekend that I was a little more sore and tender on my left side in addition to feeling like I had the flu. I went in on Mon and sure enough I have mastitis.  They prescribed antibiotics and I've been on them for a little over 48 hrs now.  I've been pumping and nursing constantly (or feels that way anyway) but it doesn't feel like it's getting better yet. They said to come back in if no improvement in a few days so I'll be calling tomorrow first thing. I'm hoping it's not an abcess :( 

I hear doing frequent feeding helps prevent it from forming into an abscess. Pumping doesn't count though.  In my breastfeeding class the doctor/LC that thought it said that the breast doesn't drain the same on the pump as it does with the baby's suckleing motions, I think she even said pumping can make it feel worse depending on where on the breast it is.
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 Thx! Good to know. I always put him to nurse on the left side first which is what they told me to do. I never had this with DS1 so it's all new territory. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll feel better in the morning but my gut is telling me I'll be going back to the dr. Ugh!
  • Options
    etr152517 said:
    STM lurking from July. 

Dangle nursing brought some relief as well. Lay baby on their baby, and nurse while you're on all 4's. It looks weird, but gravity combined with the sucking helps a little. Good luck, and hang in there! 
  • Options
    Not mastitis (yet, fingers crossed), but my milk has come in with a vengeance!!! My already large boobs have exploded to at least double their size. Can't stand anything touching them. Baby girl is only three days old and she's literally gulping the milk down at every feed which makes her gassy. She's dealing like a champ, but I'm suffering. Cabbage and cold compresses aren't cutting it any more. I was hoping to avoid pumping since it stimulates more milk, but at this point I need to get the corners out of my breasts before I end up with bigger problems!!! 
  • Options
    etr152517 said:
    It's good you went in and good the antibiotics! With DS1, I thought I had a clogged duct and kept trying to handle the pain, not realizing how bad it was. I did end up with an abscess (you could see blood under the skin which made me realize something was wrong). It was absolutely the most awful thing. I ended up in the ER getting IV meds and getting my boob poked at by some weird old doctor... the next day the thing popped and spewed blood and puss everywhere. Sorry for the TMI, but it honestly was as disgusting as it sounds. I had a giant wound that would actually leak milk after that, but it eventually healed, we continued breastfeeding and that side has been the preferred side for both DS1 and DS2, so happy ending!

Just don't wait if you suspect something is up. I realized after that a clogged duct, and even mastitis, hurts, but it does not make you cry and curse in pain when you try to nurse - that's a sign of something more.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    @BPaisley omg! That's awful you had to go through all of that! It sounds terrible. Im glad you had a happy ending with all of it though! Luckily, DS2 nursed most of the night last night and I feel tons better this morning. I'm hoping we're past the worst of it. Thanks for the info gals!
  • Options
    Does anyone have a super crazy letdown and over production in one breast? I never had this issue with my son but LO is choking and gagging everytime she eats from the left side and never nurses long on that side poor girl. I've been trying to pump a little first if I feel really full but it doesn't seem to help much 
  • Options
    @etr152517 So glad to hear it's getting better! It sounds like your antibiotic is doing the trick!
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited June 2016
    Does anyone have a super crazy letdown and over production in one breast? I never had this issue with my son but LO is choking and gagging everytime she eats from the left side and never nurses long on that side poor girl. I've been trying to pump a little first if I feel really full but it doesn't seem to help much 
    Me but it both breasts. I tip I learned is have a towel ready and when you start feeling the let down, pop baby off and let it pour into the towel until it stops, then out baby back on. Pumping will only encourage more supply.  When baby is on lean back so that baby is tummy to tummy, face down and at an angle   I'll attach a picture. Since I started doing this he hasn't choked as much and since he's not gulping to try and get it down, he has less gas.

Hard to get a pic and he's sleeping cause he just ate but note how he's almost face down into me and his head is higher than the rest of him.

Eta: spelling

• Options
    @adiaz132003 great tips I'm sure that position will be much easier when they have some head control. I'm definitely gonna try the towel trick this is gonna make nursing in public tricky!! I hope this gets better after time. 
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 great tips I'm sure that position will be much easier when they have some head control. I'm definitely gonna try the towel trick this is gonna make nursing in public tricky!! I hope this gets better after time. 
    My LO is a week and I support his head from the side.  Nose stays clear cause when they nurse the head tilts back a little.  Took some practice but we got the hang of it.  After a few days of this mine is already getting better.  I think it takes a few weeks before our bodies regulate how much milk to make. 
  • Options
    Had baby Tuesday and now my boobs are rock freakin hard!  Ouchie. I'm not breastfeeding so it's a matter of waiting for the supply to go away.  I heard to try cabbage in my bra. Any other advice on how to help alleviate the supply and deal with the pain?
  • Options
    @laurendiaz02 cold cabbage leaves in the bra works so well. Ibuprofen for the swelling. You can also buy gel freezer packs and use for 20 minutes at a time for relief. Or, I just put my magic bag in the freezer and wrap around for a bit. Watch out for flu like symptoms and/or fever as it can be signs of S breast infection. 
  • Options
    Had baby Tuesday and now my boobs are rock freakin hard!  Ouchie. I'm not breastfeeding so it's a matter of waiting for the supply to go away.  I heard to try cabbage in my bra. Any other advice on how to help alleviate the supply and deal with the pain?
    A tight bra helped me. It's not fun

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99

I am hoping this starts to go away soon.  From what Dr. Google says, it can be several days. Makes it nearly impossible to sleep (can't get comfortable) between feedings for baby. Between the many stitches in my lady parts (which by the way hurt like a mother fucker when the dr. Was putting them in!?) and these rocks in my bra, I am a hot mess. Lol. Ugh!  
  • Options
    Argh!!! Whhhhhhhhhy, went for my check up... I have an external yeast infection.  Wonderful news for my stitches....... can't I just feel normal again?
  • Options
    I believe it is sudafed that can help you dry out. I would call your practice and ask.
  • Options
    Argh!!! Whhhhhhhhhy, went for my check up... I have an external yeast infection.  Wonderful news for my stitches....... can't I just feel normal again?
    Oh no!  Sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else.  I'm curious about your check up -- the only appointment I have is in 6 weeks with Kaiser.  So I guess they assume all is well until then?  Lol. 
  • Options
    Oh no!  Sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else.  I'm curious about your check up -- the only appointment I have is in 6 weeks with Kaiser.  So I guess they assume all is well until then?  Lol. 

Yeah I went to a birth center and they do a home visit after 24 hours, a 1 week visit to do the hearing test and a quick "how are you feeling" check then the 6 week.  
  • Options
    Hey ladies, I made the huge mistake of taking a mirror to check on my lady bits and dear god whhhhhhhhhy?!?!?!  Tmi but it looks like they never stitched me up that's how open I feel.  How long after delivery did it take for many of you to look/feel normal down there again.  Note I'm only 11 days pp.
  • Options
    Hey ladies, I made the huge mistake of taking a mirror to check on my lady bits and dear god whhhhhhhhhy?!?!?!  Tmi but it looks like they never stitched me up that's how open I feel.  How long after delivery did it take for many of you to look/feel normal down there again.  Note I'm only 11 days pp.
    I braved a look just yesterday and I apologize in advance because it doesn't really look like anything is different to me... I couldn't even see the stitches.  My LO was under 5lbs so that is most likely why my recovery has been very easy.  I am also 15 days PP.  Good luck to you in your recovery... From what I have been told everything really does go back to basically what is was before.  On the negative side my cooch smells worse than poopy diapers
  • Options
    I swear it goes back to normal! I didn't look with my first til I was 4 weeks pp and everything looked normal, however, once I got the 6 week ok to have sex it was extremely painful! I felt like a Virgin again.
    I'm almost 3 weeks pp and haven't looked yet, however, I feel like I've healed quicker this time. 
  • Options
    @adiaz132003

whhhyyyy. Lol. I was told to never look. 
  • Options
    @adiaz132003

whhhyyyy. Lol. I was told to never look. 
    I knoooow. The midwife told me not to but I was curious.... I have much regret. Haha
  • Options
    omg.  I'm definitely not looking.  With my first, I had two nasty tears and pushed for a good while.  I'll be honest- between the swelling, the healing & the subsequent scarring, it took at least a couple months to feel fairly normal.  I can still feel the "six o'clock" scar, but it doesn't bother me at all, and DH has never noticed.  This time around, I pushed twice & had only a skid mark, so I'm already in much better shape.  I'm 4 days PP, still taking motrin and going a bit easy, but I would say it's more discomfort/aching than pain.  I think in another couple weeks I'll feel pretty good, but we'll see.  
  • Options
    +1 on the sitz baths and add dermoplast spray. I'd say about a week before I started feeling any better with the previous 2. This DD is a week old today, but it turns out that I pulled some muscles in my lower back and down into my buttocks pushing during delivery, which I had no idea was even possible. As a result, I'm basically still waddling like I'm 85 months pregnant and having a hard time getting around. On the bright side, the bleeding seems to be slowing down faster this time than it did with the previous 2 babies.
    THANK YOU!!! I came on here to see if anyone was complaining from epidural soreness like I am. I've had three now and every time I get one I'm like, never again! But my leg is being weird and my tailbone area. I didn't consider it could be a pulled muscle! Oh my gosh. Birth is not for the weak.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    alileecam said:
    My ass hurts, y'all. I either sprained or perhaps broke my tailbone during my delivery (either way, they can't do anything about it says the doc
    .. can't cast a tailbone) and it's the worst part of this go-round for me. I feel so lucky to feel pretty good besides the terrible pain while sitting, getting up while sitting, etc. My pain medicine for it wears off pretty quickly so basically it just throbs most of the time. And feels uncomfortable when I have to poop... as if that wasn't already pretty uncomfortable postpartum! 

I had a second degree tear this time, but compared to the third degree tear I had with my first, it really hasn't registered at all (thank goodness!!!).

trapped in quotes!
    I was like, why does my tailbone hurt!?!? I'm so sorry you're going through that much pain! But I thank you for shedding light on mine.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    alileecamalileecam member
    edited June 2016
    @Boonhilde I am almost 4 weeks PP (!!!) now, and it still hurts! Not all day every day, but definitely now and then. I hope your tailbone feels better--it's kind of awkward in addition to being a pain in the ass :) 
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Options
    Not being able to take a bath until 6 weeks postpartum sucks. I just want to soak in a warm bath!!