July 2017 Moms

Subchorionic Hemorrhage (SCH) Support

Re: Subchorionic Hemorrhage (SCH) Support

• Agreed with @yanchuss. Counting to 24 weeks to viability gives a sigh of relief, not that you're out of the woods but that baby has a good chance of survival. This isn't a game of "who's is worse" but hopefully it'll make you feel better - mine was 6cm by 5cm and I had another that stretched all the way down to my cervix. I know any bleeding is scary but hopefully it'll make you feel a little less nervous that yours is small!! We're always here to vent to, be nervous to, and hopefully be happy with when all our SCH's go away!!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @CallaLily25 I'm sorry that you've had to join this board. As others have said,  take it and try to relax. Your SCH will take care of itself, and even though it's hard,  try not to stress.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • CallaLily25CallaLily25 member
    edited February 2017
    Thank you so much, ladies. 

I guess the reason I'm so confused is that they told me just 10 days ago that there was no sign of anything. Then I had just a tiny bit of spotting and they brought me in for another ultrasound and now it's back and bigger? I was so relieved last week and now I wish I never went in today! 

So you don't think the screaming/yelling/crying would cause it to come back? 
    Me: 27   DH: 28
    Married: November 2015
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CallyLily25 It is odd.  I wonder if they somehow just missed it during the last ultrasound, especially since it's in the same place as before.  I wouldn't think that screaming and crying could cause something like this, but I really don't know. Regardless, I'm sorry that something happened last week that upset you so much. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @CallyLily25 chances are they missed it. I've never heard of screaming/crying making it bigger. I was told at 10 weeks I lost the baby and they even scheduled a D & C (turns out it was a "misread" and baby is fine). I had a complete breakdown and was crying/hysterical for almost an hour. Shaking, crying, sweating, definitely the most stressed I've ever been. It didn't affect my hemorrhage at all. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @CallaLily25, first off, I am so sorry you have to introduce yourself here to begin with. That said, and as all these other ladies have said, this particular cross cut of this group could not be more supportive, and so far, all of us have had happy outcomes, so the odds are in your favor. I know how stressful this can be, though, and it's not much comfort when you're stressed enough as it is.

I'm going to echo @yanchuss - I've said this before to others and the advice stands. It has been an enormous comfort to me to count down to viability, rather than term. Technically, viability is even still in the second trimester, so we are so close! And the bigger baby gets, the better your chances are. As the other ladies said as well, or babies are measured in inches at this point, and centimeters are much smaller, so you are in good shape on that front, too!

Lastly, no, I don't think that your stress in any way caused this. There is SO much in pregnancy that we don't understand yet and, as frustrating as it is to hear, there are some things we do not have control over. I'm a control freak, so I completely understand how infuriated and helpless that makes us feel, but you're only making yourself more worried by thinking that you did this to yourself. You did NOT.

Also, as confusing as it is to have them see one thing one week and then nothing the next, I would maybe reach out to @ebennett1007. She had one hemorrhage clear up only to have another show up later. She may be able to offer some comfort and insight in that regard.

Know that we're all pulling for you, stay far away from Dr. Google, don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions (seriously, their whole job is to answer them and to clarify if you don't understand), and we are all here if you need to vent, talk, or ask for advice. Keep your head up!
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That makes me feel so much better! I haven't had any "spotting" thus far (only tiny specks of blood in regular cervical mucus a few days ago), so had I not gone for the ultrasound, I'd be assuming all was ok. I'm not sure if that's better or worse...

Two doctors I've spoken to believe it must be the same one that got too small to detect easily and then just grew again because it's in the exact same place. I guess that makes sense because I would think it would be highly unlikely to get two in the exact same place. When I had asked the ultrasound tech last Monday, I only said I had had one and she said she didn't see anything. She didn't know where it was originally or where to look, so I'm wondering if at that point it was too tiny too see because even now, my doctor described it as a small "sliver". 

My doctor also said that it was only a little bit near the bottom edge of the placenta and was closer to my cervix. Does anyone know if position of the SCH makes any difference regarding threat to the baby? 

She said she was also surprised that I didn't have any bleeding considering its proximity to my cervix. She said this was a good sign and probably meant it was old, not active bleeding and that I may never bleed. If i don't bleed, does that mean it won't get smaller or will it just re absorb? I'm not sure if bleeding is a good or bad sign with SCHs or if it means nothing either way. Last time my SCH shrunk with no bleeding, but then bled a few days after it shrunk. So unpredictable!

They are letting me come in tomorrow afternoon for another ultrasound to give me peace of mind. I hope that it at least shows that it hasn't gotten bigger or has shrunk even 1 millimeter!

My doctor wasn't entirely clear, and I'll ask more questions tomorrow, but in the meantime...does anyone know how a SCH would cause a pregnancy loss this late (16 weeks)? Does it have to be pretty big? I guess I just am looking for some peace of mind that I have some time before I'd have to start worrying?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Going in for the ultrasound in a couple of hours. So nervous! I just hope it didn't grow.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CallaLily25 Good luck today! Hoping you get the good new you want :) also, don't be afraid to ask your doctor any questions you still have.

Keep us posted.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm beyond confused, but relieved: they said it was gone! The tech zoomed in and everything and couldn't see it. How can a 0.7 cm by 2.5 cm SCH disappear in 2 days? I have no idea. But the doc was in the room while it was being taken, and they both verified it. So I guess I should trust it? lol 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CallaLily25 that's great news!! Hopefully you'll have no more complications :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you @yanchuss! I'm trying not to doubt it, but it definitely seems strange. At the very least, I guess it's not any bigger if they couldn't see it...

I had a slightly fuller bladder today than I did when I went on Wednesday. Does anyone think that could've made a difference in what they were able to see? (they never asked me to empty it and my SCH was apparently near the cervix, so I don't know if bladder fullness would even make a difference)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • First of all,  @CallaLily25 I'm so glad it's cleared up! I just want to chime in about it showing up all of a sudden. For me I went it for my first ultrasound at 9 weeks 0 days and there was absolutely nothing wrong,  but at 9 weeks 6 days (11:40 pm) I went to the ER because a gush of blood and found out I had a SCH that was 8 cm, so it can definitely show up out of nowhere. And thankfully mine it gone now,  but it went down 4 cm in less than a week,  so I could definitely see a smaller one going away in less than that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can I join your group? I'm technically an August mom (due August 2), but my littlest guy is already measuring ahead by 11 days, so I'm guessing he'll come in July. 

At 12 weeks, I had  a gush of red blood. Ultrasound found nothing and I hadn't no further bleeding. Until the next week when I suddenly had another gush and several hours of trickling. Ultrasound found a SCH, but they were encouraged because it was nowhere near the placenta. Fast forward, not a bit of bleeding in the last two weeks. I went to an MFM yesterday (for other reasons) and they were shocked that I wasn't bleeding. I have a SCH that measures about 6x4x5cm. It's  right against both my cervix and the placenta. I'm on pelvic rest and decreased activity. I'm sitting as much as possible at work and at home. 

This is my second experience with a SCH. I had one in a pregnancy that I lost last year at 9 weeks. It likely had nothing to do with the hematoma, but I can't help but worry. The MFM says this can cause the membranes to weaken and rupture prematurely. Anyone know how common that happens?
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Hi Everyone. It appears I get to join the group, too. At 13w and 4d I had some red spotting. It was only seen when I wiped. I panicked though because I lost a baby in September. I called the doctor and they told me not to worry since it could only be seen with wiping. Almost exactly a week later, the spotting returned. I called again and insisted on being seen. After checking the heart beat and my cervix, I was told everything looked good. I asked for an ultrasound as reassurance anyway. The next day, the US diagnosed a smal SCH on the anterior of my uterus away from the baby and placenta. The baby looks great and was moving all around and even measured ahead! But the spotting keeps coming back and I don't have another US until March 1. I wasn't put on bed rest but was told no lifting and no sex within 48 hrs of bleeding. I'm so tired of worrying and spotting!! I hope all is well at my next US.
  • @a2003tiger this is my first experience with SCH so I'm not sure how often it causes the membranes to rupture. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers though!! This whole thing is scary and discouraging!!
  • @a2003tiger and @jamiew1213 I'm sorry you have both had to join this group, but I will say,  it is a very supportive group of women.  The only advice I can offer is take it easy and try not to stress.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi @a2003tiger and @jamiew1213 I'm sorry to hear about your continued issues. I wasn't put on bedrest at any point either, but I almost did a modified version. When I was home, I was pretty much on the couch or bed or sitting at the table. I was told not to lift my 3 year old. At work I took it easy- tried not got get too worked up over things. I hope you guys are able to relax a bit and take it easy until this passes. Will keep you in my prayers. 
  • Debating whether or not to go back to the hospital. I went to my OB yesterday since I was having severe cramping. The baby's heart beat was 163 and they ruled out any sort of uti/infection.  My OB said since I have a hemorrhage it was likely the hemorrhage causing cramps and irritation. She also said I'll likely bleed and be crampy this pregnancy. I haven't had any bleeding for a week and a half.

I woke up this morning with another gush of bright red blood and have had 5 more gushes since then. I don't really have cramping but I've looked at all the times I've been to emerg and it's almost every 2 weeks do the day. At this point I think it's just routine? I don't know if I should bother going back or just ride it out? It's less than I've bled in the past and usually they just give me an abdominal ultrasound with no info on the hemmorage and send me home 7 hours later.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @yanchuss ugh I'm sorry!!! I still would go, for piece of mind. Especially with the cramping there's no harm in going, besides spending all day there which I'm sure is frustrating. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @yanchuss I hope all is well with you today.  Did you end up going in? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The bleeding got worse so I went in. They still can't give me many answers, but think the bleeding is coming from a small sac of blood on top of my placenta? My hemorrhage got a lot bigger (it was originally 0.8x1.5x2.3) and now it's 3x5x7.2
    ..so I'm on full bed rest until at least 20 weeks. If the hemorrhage isn't gone by 20 weeks we'll have to look at other long term options.

The emerg dr said this still shouldn't cause any major concers/increase my risk of a miscarriage, but obviously the more I bleed and the bigger the hemorrhage gets, the worse it is. Honestly I'm expecting to me on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. It seems every time I'm on my feet for more than 5-10 min at a time, I bleed.

My husband and I are celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary on Monday so I'm surprising him and my step-daughter with a 3d ultrasound gender scan. Aside from that I'll be taking it easy and counting down the days to the 24 week mark. 

Hope you're all doing better!  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Bed rest is hard,  but it will hopefully help a lot!  Have your husband stock up on your favorite snacks so you can keep a stash next to the bed.  My husband got me a folding tray table to set up next to my bed and plenty of water bottles.  He also moved a TV into our room as well as a gaming system.  I would also suggest you ask your doctor about what kind of stretches/ leg exercises you can do.  After a few days my legs felt like I had ants all over them from lack of use. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lamphele said:
    Bed rest is hard,  but it will hopefully help a lot!  Have your husband stock up on your favorite snacks so you can keep a stash next to the bed.  My husband got me a folding tray table to set up next to my bed and plenty of water bottles.  He also moved a TV into our room as well as a gaming system.  I would also suggest you ask your doctor about what kind of stretches/ leg exercises you can do.  After a few days my legs felt like I had ants all over them from lack of use. 
    So weird, my husband literally did all of that haha! It's an Xbox 360 though so all I have for now are lego games. I'm thinking of taking up knitting and starting some cute baby items. There's only so much tv/video games I can play haha.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • yanchuss said:
    So weird, my husband literally did all of that haha! It's an Xbox 360 though so all I have for now are lego games. I'm thinking of taking up knitting and starting some cute baby items. There's only so much tv/video games I can play haha.
    I recommend knitting! So fun! (Or crocheting- easier to learn and make baby things from the start)
  • edited March 2017
    Seeing @JmUDuuuukes 07 jumped started my thinking of this thread. @yanchuss how are you doing? Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Thanks for bumping this thread @PurplePoppy424, I've been wondering about everyone too.

After my A/S today, my OB said that either my SCH is gone, or it's small enough that the technician didn't see it or didn't make a note of it. Either way, I can put it out of my mind.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was just thinking this yesterday! Happy yours is gone @GreenBean

someone somewhere on my AS screwed up because the formal report said my SCH is only 2cm by 2cm (whoop whoop!) after they told me it was still 5x4. Still sitting on my cervix so I will drop it out at some point but, a lot of it broke up and the old blood is floating in my fluid (we could see it as "debris" on the scan...so gross). 
  • Woo hoo @dancegurl1118 for a shrinking SCH and to @GreenBean for it being gone! Have my A/S on Monday can't wait!
  • @dancegurl1118, this makes me so happy to hear!!! I know how worried you were about how large it was, but it sounds like things are going well! I am a HUGE fan of how quiet this thread has been. Serious case of no news is good news sometimes, right?

@yanchuss, you are often on my mind. How are you and that sweet boy holding up?
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PurplePoppy424 @ktewart I haven't bled in almost 4 weeks, which is record breaking for me! Im still occasionally wiping bits of dry blood but not often. I go for my 20 week ultrasound on Thursday so on hoping for good news! 

@dancegurl1118 @GreenBean glad to hear you're doing better!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @yanchuss YESSSS! Love this update!
  • Great updates!  I'm very glad this thread doesn't have to be so active anymore.  I've been hoping that no news is good news. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Love all of these updates!! @yanchuss hope the a/s goes well on Thursday!
  • So happy to read all the good updates!! Good luck to those having a/s this week!
  • I just had my anatomy scan today and my hemorrhage is back.  She didn't give me an exact size,  but said it isn't has big a my original one.  No bed rest,  but told to take it easy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh! So frustrating @lamphele! That's great that there are no restrictions though.  
  • Sorry to hear that @lamphele that sucks! Hopefully it reabsorbs quickly!
  • tcaltabtcaltab member
    I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemmorage today. I was at work and suddenly started bleeding.  Not a gentle trickle but a sudden gush of bright red blood.  It took me 3 hours to get away from work so I could see my doctor.  By the time I saw her I’d mostly stopped bleeding, and baby’s heartbeat was strong on the Doppler.  She didn’t think an ultra sound was necessary, but put me on pelvic rest for the next 3 weeks.  This is my 3rd pregnancy.  The first 2 were so uneventful, but this one has already put me through the ringer and I’m only 14 weeks along.
  • tcaltab said:
    I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemmorage today. I was at work and suddenly started bleeding.  Not a gentle trickle but a sudden gush of bright red blood.  It took me 3 hours to get away from work so I could see my doctor.  By the time I saw her I’d mostly stopped bleeding, and baby’s heartbeat was strong on the Doppler.  She didn’t think an ultra sound was necessary, but put me on pelvic rest for the next 3 weeks.  This is my 3rd pregnancy.  The first 2 were so uneventful, but this one has already put me through the ringer and I’m only 14 weeks along.
    @tcaltab

I am sorry to hear that but this is an older thread and I am not sure how active most of these ladies are already since we already had our babies almost a year ago. I would suggest posting this in your BMB where you're more than likely going to get more responses. Best of luck though and sending positive vibes your way
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker