April 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• Options
    @Koukonei I totally agree with everyone else...Adelaide is especially beautiful. I suggested it to DH but he shot it down. We're having a boy anyway so it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    This WAS one of my boy lists.

Still struggling to find this fierce little girl a name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Blueberry85 if you have a third you have to name her Winona! 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @catem07 That's unlikely to happen on several levels ;)  
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    @Knottie1458416769  We are struggling with girls names too! My husband and I agree on 0 names so far. 

• Options
    @Knottie1472824625 I love that you put a star next to Landon--I'm pretty sure that will be Baby Boy's name!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @kcasset Sorry you've had to be a lurker. Glad you're still able to pop on once in awhile. I personally love Katherine Paige, but possibly just because I love classic and my best friend's name is Kate. (Though I don't know what your nickname would have been). But I understand wanting something not common. That's been my debate too. Personally of the two of them, I like Paige better. Maybe it's just where I'm living, but there are a lot of Ainsleys around. Though I do like how Ainsley flows with a two syllable last name. Still, Paige is my vote. 
  • Options
    @kcasset My DD is Ainsley so I admit, I am biased. We chose it because it was traditional and loved that it was an old English surname. We also appreciated its uniqueness. Both my husband and I always had to be referred to as "first name last initial" because our names were very popular in the years we were born. 

That being said, Katherine Paige is a beautiful name and you could always use a C instead of a K or call her by her middle name. No matter the name, someone will always have a thought on it so what matters is what you and your husband love. 

PS. We have a one syllable last name but I think Ainsley would sound lovely with a two-syllable last name. Again, biased.  ;)
    DD March 2015
    Baby #2 due April 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kcasset In my opinion, Ainsley reads as a very trendy name, and the data from Social Security backs that up. It first enters the top 1000 in 2001, ranking in the 400s, and seems to have plateaued a bit the last few years in the mid-300s. So, something to consider if that would bother you at all.

My preference for classic/old-fashioned names has already been documented here, so my vote would definitely go to Katherine, but ultimately, as others have said, it really only matters what you and your husband think/feel, and if Katherine no longer feels like the name to you but Ainsley does, go for it.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    You all are the best! I really appreciate the insight.  I'll be better about not lurking so much before April.... 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    What do you all think...Does Miller as a first name invite too many beer jokes?
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    @cafedisco I don't think so, unless you were in an area known for the brand or beer manufacture in general. If it goes with your last name I think it's useable.
  • Options
    @cafedisco provided that miller lite is still a popular beer (and I imagine it will be) he will almost certainly have a nickname related to the beer in college. My maiden name is part of a liquor brand (that I don't even care for) and I got called that often. 

• Options
    @cafedisco  My name is Brandi, the alcohol references never bothered me growing up.. to be honest it's been a joke of ours that I should keep the alcohol name's going since my dad is Bud and when my daughter was named I had a friend who pointed out Abigail = A big ale  so it became a joke.. funny thing is the name my daughter likes is Walker.. maybe we could call him Johnny  :D
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    @cafedisco I didn't think beer either, but I'm not a beer drinker. I think it's a nice change to hear a name that tons of people aren't already using. I love Abraham, too, though if that's still a possibility. Is it definitely a boy??

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone want to help me choose between Henry and Albert? Henry is still my favorite boy name of all time, but we know so, so many of them. I feel bad for him and he's not even born yet. Albert is a family name, and I love that it's not as common yet still classic (but I think I love those features more than the name itself). Is it selfish to pick a name I love, rather than prioritizing other factors? I have a common name and hated that growing up. DH likes both and doesn't mind.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ladameperdue Since you asked, I really don't like Albert. It's an old man name IMHO. I'm actually married to a Henry (who got his name when it was nowhere near as popular as it is now.) I dislike Albert so much that I'd say go with Henry despite its popularity. 

• Options
    I need some opinions. We really like Lincoln for a boy, however my H's sister has a BIL and SIL (does make sense?) who named their boy Lincoln. We see them once or twice a year. Would it be weird if we named a boy the same as a relative of a relative?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @rachelmiller03 Would the babies share a grandparent (I'm envisioning family trees in my head and failing)? That's the only time I think it's weird, honestly. DH and I loved Claire for a girl, but his cousin used it for their baby a few years ago, and our kids and their kids share grandparents, so we thought it would be too close for comfort.

ETA We don't see them too often (2-3 times a year), but it's almost always around those grandparents, haha.
  • Options
    @ladameperdue he's definitely a boy!  Abraham is still in the running too. 

And to answer your question, I prefer Henry!  That was our top choice for years and we crossed it out for the same reasons you listed.  I don't think it's the end of the world to have a popular name, but for us, it was an important enough factor.  Albert is cute too though. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    @rachelmiller03 As long as you don't see them often and don't share grandparents..so If I have it right it's your husband's sister who's kids would share a grandparent with them (her husband's parents) so I don't think it's too close.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    @HappyAnjel- yep! that's the connection
    @SnarkasaurusRex- No, they would not share grandparents. Thank you both! I was hoping it would not be weird. 
  • Options
    We have decided on a name for dd, Laikynn Lee. I really do love it I'm just hoping it's not too off beat. I always feel bad for the kids that have their name pronounced incorrectly in school. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input- @catem07  @cafedisco @teamla Yes, I totally agree Albert is still in the old man stage. If it helps, a girl would have been Agnes. : ) I wonder if it's unusual to pick names not because of loving them, but based on other prioritized criteria the child might appreciate down the road...classic, family significance, not overused. Our first daughter is Edith. I didn't "love" it at the time, but it's so perfect for her now. I think the same would happen with Albert, but it's hard not to choose a name I do love in the moment ...it just feels selfish. Might have to wait until we meet him!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ladameperdue If you have an Edith already, I'm leaning more on the Albert side. They're great together! I like Agnes. :)