July 2017 Moms
Options

Subchorionic Hemorrhage (SCH) Support

I thought I would start a new thread for anyone diagnosed with an SCH....

I'm currently on day 2 of a 2 week bed rest to try and help the SCH discovered yesterday to resolve. My OB, who I adore and admire told me yesterday I have 50% chance of continuing the pregnancy. So keeping my feet up and trying to keep busy.

Anyone else have an SCH?
**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
~~ married 8.11.07
~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~

Re: Subchorionic Hemorrhage (SCH) Support

• Options
    As far as I know I don't but wish you all the best.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had one with my last pregnancy. If I recall correctly, it grew to 9cm which is quite large. I went to a perinatologist who said no flying, no falls, etc. It had re-absorbed by mid second trimester. I never bled or even spotted. 
    I wonder why your OB is saying 50% chance - location of the SCH? Or the size? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @akbride25- I think she i being extra Conservative based on my history. I had 2 pregnancies with little issue and then a loss in March with am SCH. Don't think SCH caused the loss but who knows. The location appeared to me far from pregnancy but maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. I go back Monday so can find out more then
    ~~ married 8.11.07
  • Options
    I had one during my second pregnancy.  I had no problems at all and it resolved on its own
  • Options
    Kimk1616Kimk1616 member
    edited November 2016
    I  had one with my first pregnancy but it absobed and caused me no issues.  That doesn't mean that I didn't freak out and worry about it for a long time! Good luck to you!!!
  • Options
    I had one with my last pregnancy (including bleeding) and thankfully it resolved after two weeks of bed rest. Hoping all goes well for you! 
  • Options
    Thanks @julzy, @Kimk1616 and @MissKrisBliss - I go back in this morning for another scan and to chat with doctor. 
    ~~ married 8.11.07
  • Options
    glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited November 2016
    What did your u/s look like? My OB didn't say anything about what looks like a SCH to me, and when I asked about it she said "oh the gestational sac just isn't filling up the uterus yet" - which I have never heard of, and I was measuring 8+5!

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    Its funny because now that I've had one in 2 pregnancies - I ask about all the stuff I see on the ultrasound. Mine does look similar to that, but on a previous ultrasound I saw some black and OB said "thats just shadow" so who knows if there is something more intricate they see at the margins of the bleed. 
    ~~ married 8.11.07
  • Options
    I had one my previous pregnancy, full out bleeding, I thought for sure I had lost my baby. I've also been diagnosed with one this pregnancy. As long as you are very careful not to overdo it, they usually resolve on their own. Your body is amazing and will do all it can to keep that little one safe
  • Options
    I had one with my last baby.  I was 11 weeks and started to bleed heavily.  I was on bed rest for awhile.  I was scared out of my mind.  That baby is now a healthy active 3 year old.  
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. I started bleeding heavily at 6.5 weeks and was passing clots the size of oranges. I was convinced I had miscarried since I've never bled that much before, even on a period, but went to the ER and was diagnosed with SCH. They did an internal ultrasound and I got to see the baby and heart beat (baby's heartbeat was 146 at 6.5 weeks). They told me the hemorrhage was far away from the baby and that everything should be fine. I'm now 9 weeks and have gone for another ultrasound and 4 blood tests between now and my 6.5 week scare to make sure my HCG levels are rising as they told me I could still miscarry. My HCG levels continue to rise and I was able to see my baby and their heartbeat again yesterday (heartbeat is now at 166), however I'm still anxious because I continue to bleed (not heavily) and have bad cramps throughout the day. Is anyone else experiencing cramps/bleeding? I'm really hoping it's nothing :( I know I'm still pregnant but every day I'm worried I'm going to pass the baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was just told I have SCH too. I've had cramping but no bleeding so far. I had an appointment this morning and my Doctor told me SCH is common common common, almost always go away on their own, and bleeding is common in first trimester. He actually told me not to freak out if I start bleeding. Remember Mama, you saw a strong heartbeat!!! That's so good and so amazing!!! I'm a nervous wreck though too!! Especially with my past pregnancy history! I'm here to chat if you want!
  • Options
    @ankanyo thank you so much for the reply. It actually made me feel a lot better! I don't know anyone else who has had a SCH while pregnant, so I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it. Have you miscarried in the past? I'm also here if you want to chat! It's so nice to have a group where others can relate.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We had our second ultrasound yesterday and found out we have a SCH with baby A. Our doctor recommended we not tell people about the twins quite yet.... we are praying that when we go back in 2 weeks we see it gone or shrinking! 
  • Options
    @ebennett1007 so sorry you're going through this :( most SCH's clear up in their own, so hopefully it's nothing! Sending positive thoughts your way.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have one too...found out a few weeks ago at a little over 7 weeks due to some spotting. My midwife assured me they are not associated with an increased risk of miscarriage...after reading your post I'm a little more worried. She also didn't order me bedrest or anything of the sort. Hoping everyone's SCH clears up on its own!
  • Options
    So, I go here now. After the one initial big gush (and another one overnight that pooled whole I slept), it seems to have tapered off to brownish spotting/discharge that varies in amount over the course of the day. I'm not in bed rest, but am on pelvic rest with orders to take it easy and not lift anything (a tall order, since I have a 26 pound 1 year old...) Hoping this passes without incident and these babies stay safe and snug in there till it's safe for them to come out. Does anyone have any insight into how long it took for theirs to pass?
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ktewart I have a check up on Tuesday and I'll let you know if mine has already healed up!
  • Options
    I'm here now, too. I had no idea what was going on and it ruined my Christmas dinner with family- and I think put a big damper on the whole holiday. Not how I imagined this going. I'm really thankful for the doctor I had because she was visiting that ER and didn't really follow their rules, ie she wanted to perform the ultrasound, so she came in and told me what she was seeing (the tech wouldn't tell me anything and wouldn't let me see the screen). She told me she saw a hb and that she saw a hemorrhage. I would have had to wait 2 hours for the radiologist to read it. It settled me down a little. I'm now on bedrest until I can see my OB and praying that this passes. I hope we all keep healthy babies comfy on the inside for 6 more months!
  • Options
    I go here for now too. I'm hoping for the same outcome as above. I'm 9w4d today and we had our ultrasound yesterday. I hadn't had any bleeding or strong cramping. I still haven't had any bleeding, but I have had a little cramping since the ultrasound. The ultrasound tech told me that out of 5 women she sees, 3 of them have these. My doctor said not to be worried and didn't limit any of my activities or anything. He even said I didn't need to stop running or anything. I'm starting to wonder though if I do need to start taking it easy. We go back at 12 weeks for another scan so I'm hoping it clears by then. 

• Options
    @PurplePoppy424 my doctor didn't limit my activity like going to the gym, but put my on pelvic rest. Sorry DH no fun on NYE. But I had bad bleeding. It is comforting to know how common these are. Hope yours absorbs on its own!
  • Options
    @JmU Duuuukes 07 That's good to hear! My doctor didn't even put me on pelvic rest. It really is comforting to know how common they are and how many ladies have them here! Thank you for the well wishes! I hope yours absorbs on its own as well!!
  • Options
    Don't mind if I also join as I was diagnose in the ER with SCH. Last night was such a nightmare with blood gushing down my pants. I then went to the bathroom where more blood filled up the toilet. My husband and I rushed immediately to the ER, where they drew my blood and then ordered me a scan. Preparing for the worst, there was our little baby kicking and moving away with a 166 HB. I was diagnosed with SCH- the nurse said "moderate size" but never gave us measurements or the location. By now, the bleeding has subsided and only there when I use the bathroom. Fast forward to the next morning when I followed up with my OB on call who put me on strict pelvic rest. Again, they didn't seem overly concern about it but said it's a fairly good size but not too large. The OB also said this generally will heal on its own. I think the pelvic rest today has been helping since I am now spotting brown. My question to everyone is: can you update me on outcome? I am hoping with pelvic rest it will heal on its own.  

• Options
    Joining this group for support.  I'm 10w today, and was diagnosed with SCH during a routine ultrasound at 6w6d.  I haven't had any bleeding.  When the doctor mentioned it, she didn't make a big deal of it, and said it would either reabsorb or bleed out.  No restrictions or follow up ultrasound.  It caught me off guard, and now that I've had some time to google it, I wish I had asked more questions, like how big it is, and whether it's near the placenta.  I have an appointment with a different OB this week (it's a large practice, and you rotate though doctors to meet everyone), and I'm planning to ask more questions and push for a follow up ultrasound.  Any suggestions about things to ask the doctor?

I'm really sorry the rest of you are going through this too, but it's oddly reassuring to know I'm not alone.  @ACharnelle, it's great to hear yours cleared up so quickly.  Best of luck to everyone, and Happy New Year!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mine has cleared up (in the most stressful way possible) but I'm thankful to report after knowing about it, with two days of heavy bleeding, passing a huge clot (the size of my palm), and not getting any sleep, it passed on its own. I know it wasn't there December 12th, we learned about it on December 25th, and I passed the clot on the 26th. So the max it was there for 2 weeks. Hang in there. I hope yours all pass/absorb as qickly as possible.
  • Options
    For anyone who is looking for stories, mine hasn't cleared yet (jmU Duuuukes 07, I am SO glad yours cleared, even if it was terrifying while experiencing it), but the doctor was able to tell me that all that's left in my uterus is a small pool of old blood that is not interfering with baby A or that baby's placenta, so she basically said to not worry about it unless I start having cramping and more red blood. In the mean time, I haven't bled in 4 days, so it sounds like these things are a lot more common than we realize!
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad to see so many of you have had yoyes clear! I'm freaking out again. I haven't stopped spotting since I was first diagnosed at 6 weeks. I'm 10 weeks 4 days now and I've started bleeding again and passing small clots. I don't have cramping anymore, but I'm terrified and pray that the baby stays :( I hate living in constant fear and I dread everytime I have to go to the bathroom. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @yanchuss I'm so sorry you're scared. I am too. There's a good chance that the clots are just the SCH passing. Lack of cramps is a good sign. Can you call your doctor? When's your next appointment?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @GreenBean my next appointment is Friday and my next ultrasound is in 2 weeks. My blood is starting to get more bright red which is not a good sign :( 

If you haven't had any bleeding, that's a really good sign. Plus they say once you've seen the heart beat, your chances of miscarrying are only 2%.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @yanchuss I'm glad you have an appointment soon. Did they tell you what sort of things to look out for and what to call them right away about? Honestly I would try to call your doctor. I really think it's just the SCH, but I'm not a doctor and I think they would want to at least know about increased bleeding. They might have an emergency line you can call today, or you can call first thing tomorrow. Otherwise if you're anything like me you'll spend the next week googling and stressed out. Your doctor can either tell you that it's nothing to worry about or to come in sooner.  

Sorry your year is off to a stressful start. I also really appreciate your reassurance - I just need to keep repeating that 2% number to myself. Keep us posted. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @yanchuss is there a way you can ask your doc for a 5 minute peace of mind ultrasound? That's what I did when I started spotting and that's how we found the hemmorage. We are so far along now that I think miscarriage would be extremely painful and as my friend who lost hers said "you KNOW it's happening." Hope you find some peace of mind soon!
  • Options
    @ACharnelle I've called my doctor but she's not in until tomorrow. Luckily the bleeding has stopped and I'm not passing anymore clots. I called the hospital and they said if I'm not bleeding continuously or having severe cramps, it's likely nothing to worry about. If I'm bleeding again I'll just go to emerg as I'm a worrier by nature and won't want to wait until Friday to find out. When I was diagnosed,  they told me it was a tiny hemmorage and it was far away from the baby. Really hoping it's nothing but it's hard not to worry! Thank you for all of your support, ladies! I didn't know early pregnancy could be so stressful. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So I started bleeding again today and went to my family dr. She said I likely didn't miscarry, but the only way to tell if my baby has stopped developing is via ultrasound. She tried to find the heartbeat with a fetal doppler but was unsuccessful. She told me not to worry as you usually don't hear a strong heartbeat until 12 weeks and I'm only 10 weeks 5 days. I'm trying really hard not to worry but I'm freaking out. Now I have to wait 2 more weeks for an ultrasound and my mind is running wild :( hope you're all having better luck! Praying baby is okay.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this and I wish they could have gotten you an ultrasound today. My thoughts are with you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Can you go to the ER and tell them you are bleeding? They will very likely give you an US there. I wouldn't mention that you had already been seen for it, of course.

(Are these people out of their minds? Wait 2 weeks for an answer???)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm with @GlitterFish. Every time I've had to go to the ER, I've received an ultrasound. It's not a super high resolution one, but it does the job. That is absolutely ludicrous to me that your doctor would say "wait two weeks and see what happens". Stress and anxiety are not good for you OR baby. Go to the ER and say you've been bleeding.

ETA: My ER discharge papers and my orders from my doctor explicitly state to go back to the ER if I have any more red bleeding, specifically to make sure everything is still ok.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I passed another clot so I'm in emerg now. It's packed but worth the long wait for piece of mind. Hoping for good news. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So they did an abdominal ultrasound and saw the baby but no heartbeat. The doctor is pretry sure I've had a missed miscarriage, but they didn't have enough staff to fit me in for an internal ultrasound to confirm. I have to go back tomorrow morning, but they've scheduled a dnc for after my ultrasound so it doesn't look good.  I'm devestated :( 
    BabyFetus Ticker