September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    Sometimes during the day my LO wants to breastfeed every hour or more, which makes me feel like a human cow,  but if he gets a bottle of pumped milk he seems to go longer in between feedings. I can hear him swalloing when breastfeeding so I know he is sucking effectively, so do you think the breast feeding is just more of a comfort thing for him too? Does anyone else have this problem. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @drabong88 I think it is more of a comfort thing. Xavier sometime does the same thing. Sleeps longest after his bedtime bottle but during day breastfeeds every 1-3 hours. There are times I think he is nursing to nursing not to eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh yes, I am definitely a human pacifier for my LO sometimes. She will switch to a very non productive suck and drift off to sleep all the time. Then she is still angry if I remove her. Her actual pacifier will calm her down if she is just looking for that comfort, if she is truly hungry she will very angrily spit out the pacifier and proceed to scream louder just so we get the hint.

• Options
    Ok I'm glad it's not just me. Some days I feel like formula feeding would just be so much easier but I remember that I need to suck it up and keep breastfeeding as long as I can, and I also remember how much I am saving not having to buy formula so that is probably my biggest motivation. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Molly was always a bit sloppy with the shield - I think sometimes the suction comes off making the pooled milk spill out. For me it's more messy than without the shield. We've been doing two days or so without it now. I've started pumping as well as per the LC so my nips are a bit sore today but we are doing well! It seems at night / when she's tired she doesn't latch as well so I may still use the shield here and there depending on how she's doing. A bad latch could cause more harm than good so I'm ok with using it if I have to. 
  • Options
    jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited October 2016
    Yeah Xavier is 7 weeks and I'm still using the shield. He can be a bit messy so I just keep a burp cloth under his chin to catch the mess. My breast are rather large so he can't get a good latch with that along with the inverted nipples. Maybe when he is bigger we can go shieldless.
  • Options
    I try to go without the shield a few times a day. We get messy either way really. It's funny because she will latch and eat for awhile, come off and refuse to latch back on without the shield. I would think it would be the other way around.  Ellie had been spitting up a lot lately too. We are both just a mess now all day long! Does anyone else deal with spit up? It just started this week and it's been a lot.
  • Options
    I went through that with Xavier. Still do from time to time. I've found best thing for him is to keep him upright or side lying for a bit after feeding. Seems to have helped quite a bit for us.
  • Options
    I'm now about 3-4 days without shield now and it's going well. Nips are still a little sore between BF and pumping but I'm managing. Molly has been doing this thing where far into the feed she drops the nipple almost all the way out and sucks on the end of the nipple and it KILLS to the point where I scream. It's also surprising when she does it. Oi!!
  • Options
    @rock1cherry Ouch! You should have seen my face when I read that. I can only imagine. How does she react when you scream? (That part made me laugh a little) It's not funny at all though, just sounds painful.
  • Options
    @molosmiles most times she just eyes me like what? Other times she is about to cry because I rip my nip out of there so quickly and push her away. I can't help it. That's the only reaction I know - it kills!
  • Options

@rock1cherry Omg, my LO does the same thing! And lately she has been doing a nice little stretch when she is almost done eating, which would be cute if she didn't still have my nipple in her mouth. Pulled and twisted.... not fun either.

Congrats on the no shield! It is easier without it, although nipples are very tender for some time. Keep up with lanolin as it really helps. I can stand in the shower now without holding my nipples so water doesn't touch them ...I call that progress!

• Options
    I am envious of you girls not having to use the shield. I try every day to not use it but they don't stay erect and he gets pissed when he can't latch right. So I still use it but am hopeful that I won't have to use it much longer.
  • Options
    @rock1cherry  My daughter does the same thing! It's almost like a game - how far can I pull back without letting go and still sucking? 
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited October 2016
    Any breastfeeding mamas out there supplementing with formula? I have been trying to increase my supply since I had a feeling my little guy was not getting enough milk in the evening. He would get fussy and cry at the boob. I met with a lactation consultant and she confirmed by weighing him after eating from each breast that he was not getting enough. He consumed only two ounces. Right now we've been supplementing with breastmilk that I have pumped and stashed, but that will likely run out soon. I'm nervous he won't like the formula or that it might upset his stomach since it's new. For those supplementing with formula or who have gone from breast to formula. How was the transition? Also any tips for increasing supply? I just started fenugreek, have been trying to pump more (including power pump sessions), eat oatmeal/lactation cookies. 
  • Options
    @BabyBoyH92016 My first had issues with formula so I had to try a few different brands until we found the right brand. Ellie however seems to drink anything I give her. For her it's more about the bottle, the wrong ones will give her gas. How old is your LO? I don't have any ideas for increasing supply other than what you've said already. The more nipple stimulation the better, especially from your LO.
  • Options
    Liking your posts to commiserate with you all. I can't believe I'm not the only one with that problem. I don't know if she gets lazy or what but yikes, ouch, it hurts so much! Sorry to hear you're all experiencing the same pain!

I need to use the lanolin more often. My nips are definitely painful now that I'm pumping and going without the shield. It was tough to stop using it but we are doing well now. 

@jenkar01 for me to go without the shield I have to really pinch my nipple/areola to get it flat to get in her mouth. My nipples were very flat and they've changed since I started breastfeeding. Hopefully you'll have more luck soon! It gets better. 
  • Options
     I have to do the same to get her to latch but when I pinch my nipples, milk goes everywhere. Feeding has become such a messy endeavor! Plus she pulls off a few times a feeding and it seems more so when I don't use the shield. She'll just lick the milk off my nipples. 
  • Options
    @molosmiles he's 6 weeks. I do try have him on the breast as much as possible, but after a certain point of nothing coming out he unlatches and starts to scream his head off. At that point it's time to give him a bottle. 
  • Options
    I was slowly reading replies and I'm glad I'm not alone, though I wish everyone was having an easy time breastfeeding!

My milk was very late, and the first few weeks after the birth were a nightmare. Sylvia had to be supplemented after day 2 when she kept losing weight and waking up howling. We started with donor milk, then switched to formula. I was originally on a triple feeding schedule: breastfeed first, then give supplement, and pump to try to increase my supply. I went from only getting 5ml of colostrum up to day 10 to now about 2oz of mature milk. I stopped pumping after week 3 because I was exhausted and miserable. I'm just now trying to start a pumping routine because I'm paranoid my supply is already drying up.

It's so hard to tell and I'm so paranoid. She won't have a check up until her 2 month visit two weeks from now and I'm terrified the pediatrician is going to tell me she isn't gaining enough. She's bigger, she's alert, never dehydrated, and meeting her milestones, but I still worry because of how awful those nights in the hospital were. I weigh her with me on the scale at home but all I can think about is her not being big enough. I wish I could let go of the anxiety and trust she's doing okay.

She breastfeeds, pulls away from the breast on her own, and seems satisfied. She won't take the supplement bottle the majority of the time, but I'm scared she's only refusing because she wore herself out trying to draw milk from a stone, so to speak. When she does take the bottle (usually in the evening) she'll drink 2 or more ounces, which is why I worry she's not really getting enough when she refuses the bottle earlier in the day. Also if I skip a feed and my husband gives her only formula, she'll still only eat 2oz, rarely 3, which I thought was kind of low for a nearly two month old?

I know I should call a lactation consultant, or someone who can weigh her accurately, but I don't want to hear more doom and gloom about how I can't feed my baby...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @jln27 if it makes you feel any better Xavier is almost 10 weeks old and only takes 2-3 oz when he takes a bottle. He usually only takes a bottle at bedtime and he sleeps for 4-6 hours after the bottle so I know he is satisfied. He gives plenty of wet diapers and has almost doubled his birth weight. As long as she is giving 6-8 wet diapers a day and seems like she is satisfied I wouldn't fret too much on it.
  • Options

Omg, my entire day seems to revolve around me wondering how my supply is doing ever since I switched to breastfeeding and only pumping a couple of times a day. I hate not knowing how much she is eating, but she has plenty of wet diapers and is putting on weight so I keep trying to reassure myself that she is doing okay.

I have been watching it more since I started back on the bcp. I even went out and bought 'mothers milk tea' that I have been choking down 3x a day just in case. I love the convenience of breastfeeding but I is seriously taking a toll on my sanity!

• Options
    Okay I just had a total freakout moment. Xavier went almost 8 hours without eating. Last night was the first time we did his bath with his bedtime routine and wonder if that is why. He had is bath and then took three oz, we wrapped him up and put him to bed. He stirred around 1:30am but didn't fuss or wake up. I woke up a little after 5am and he was still asleep. He woke up shortly after that. He is only 10 weeks old. Is this normal? 
  • Options
    jellybiehnjellybiehn member
    edited November 2016

Yup, I ha this same freak out too. My LO has bee an amazing night time sleeper for me so I cannot complain. She routinely sleeps 5-6hrs overnight, but it starting to stretch longer and it worried me. The last visit to the doctors I had, at 9 weeks,  she told me to wake her up every 4hrs at night! I was not too keen on that seeing as she was happy, having lots of wet diapers, and is a great little grower, and I was finally getting some sleep. I tried setting an alarm but I keep sleeping right through it. I just let her wake up on her own now, she knows when she is hungry.

Eta...i forgot to mention that she is 10weeks old now too

• Options
    @jenkar01 I think the only "normal" is that moms are going to worry! Its that worry that that keeps our babies safe. If we were cavalier then there might be an actual problem that would be missed

How great that your your little man slept so long (I would've freaked out too!). Here's hoping for a repeat tonight :smile:
  • Options
    @jenkar01 my son is 8 weeks old and he will sporadically sleep an 8 hour stretch.  Most nights he does a 5 hour stretch, wakes to feed then another 3 hours.  But it's totally normally.  I can't wait for the day that 8 hours a night is a regular thing.
  • Options
    It was amazing and scary at the same time. I felt so refreshed at 5am lol. He then slept another 4 hours after that feeding. I know but was probably a fluke but it gives me a glimpse into my future.
  • Options
    I'm too scared to let her sleep through the night, even though she's more than capable. For her middle of the night feeds she only stirs enough to eat, then goes right back to sleep. I'm going to wait until the pediatrician approves it, because the risk of hypoglycemia scares me to death.
  • Options

I actually just read a very scary article on hypoglycemia this morning. It seemed to be a risk when the mothers were waiting for their milk to come in and not wanting to supplement, not knowing they were starving their newborns. The babies cited in this article were all crying for food, but just not getting it. Really good article about not shaming mothers for supplementing and proper infant monitoring in the first few days of life. But it did seem to become an issue after a prolonged period without any nourishment, so I am gong to embrace my 2 extra hours and try to not go to my 'first time mom' stressed out zone! Too many other things send me their already. I actually googled '10 week old drooling' yesterday..... yeah. Lol

• Options
    @jellybiehn My google history would make a pretty good case file for excessive paranoia... I worry about hypoglycemia so much because she had it in the hospital until we started supplementing. Luckily we figured it out quickly and have been keeping her fed, but it scared me so bad hearing that she had spent the night screaming in the nursery until the nurses came to get my permission to supplement. Ever since then I constantly worry about her eating and weight gain.
  • Options

I guess worrying is just what we new moms do! Oh well, its all for a good reason. Our most important job is looking out for our little ones now.

I had actually not known how scary an issue hypoglycemia in newborns was until I read about it this morning. I am surprised it is not part of the teaching to new moms who are trying to breastfeed, and that more monitoring of their supply is not automatically being done. I was basically left alone and just had to record on a piece of paper whenever I fed her. It is defiantly something I will have in the back of my mind if I ever do all of this again.

• Options
    They checked Xavier's blood sugar before every feeding for the first 24 hours then every other feeding for 12 hours. He never had an issue with low blood sugars so I knew he was getting what he needed. They were checking it because he was small and a bit early. I agree though that it is crazy they don't mention something about it for something to look out for in first few days of life. I'm not worried about because I know this boy gets plenty to eat because I know what I produce plus he eats every 2-3 hours during the day and usually no more than 6 hours at night except for last night. I think he is hitting a growth spurt though because he has been sleeping more and eating longer today.
  • Options
    I was warned about hypoglycemia for her because I had GD, otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard about it either. She eats every 1.5-2 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night. She could go longer if I let her, because she usually stays asleep during her middle of the night feed, but I won't until the doctor clears it.

I saw several lactation consultations about my low supply but they couldn't say why I don't produce enough. The obgyn suggested possible breast issues, like I didn't grow enough of the right tissues. Even now it's hard to tell if I'm catching up and she's getting enough or she's just wearing herself out when she stops sucking. I can only go by the wet diapers and the fact that she's alert, hitting her milestones, and at least getting bigger. The pediatrician can confirm at her two month. I'm trying not to stress too much until then...
  • Options

Do I have to buy all new nipples if I am only feeding breast milk from bottles? Are the larger holes really just for thicker fluids or should I upgrade them as she gets older? Didn't even think about this until I saw them in the store again the other day.

The larger bottles are intimidating enough, how would ever make enough to fill that sucker! Glad she is content with the little bottles right now.

• Options
    jellybiehnjellybiehn member
    edited December 2016

Omg, just when I had thought I was getting into a good place with this whole breastfeeding routine! I noticed I had not been using my frozen breast milk stash so I thawed some of the earlier milk to use before it went bad. It definitely had a unusual odor but  thought maybe it was just a little freezer burned as it was in a plastic container with some air at the top. After thawing completely in the fridge, it was definitely sour! I tried thawing a later container this morning and it still tasted sour. So now I am thawing one of the bags I switched to, to see what it is like.

I have since read a lot about excess lipase and scalding milk, but wow that seems like a lot of extra work at 2am! And one site even said to stop drinking or washing with my tap water... really?

This would be devastating news if I was going back to work, but my stash was just for babysitting times or when we are out and about. I feel like just giving up on storing anything and just using formula for these instances. Or just store milk in the fridge until a week ( haven't noticed it going off early in the fridge) and then toss if not used.

Sorry this is kinda long, it is just so frustrating and my husband doesn't seem to get it.

Edited for so many typos... stupid tablet.

• Options
    That is crazy. Wonder why it is going bad? I would be devastated since I am back at work if my supply had gone bad.
  • Options
    hejo2016hejo2016 member
    edited December 2016
    @jellybiehn it probably is excess lipase but it's totally SAFE and fine to feed to LO! There's a good kellymom article about it if you haven't read it. I've heard stop taking any vitamins/supplements/omegas you are taking and that might help as well. Don't throw it all out! Hang in there, you're doing great!
  • Options

Yeah I have read that it is safe, but I literally gagged when I dipped my finger in to try it.... it might be hard to sell drinking it to my LO.  She did get 1/2 of a frozen 1/2 fresh milk bottle and had one of the worst afternoons ever, she screamed for hours and nothing would settle her. Don't know if I want to risk that again...

Thank you for the encouragement though, maybe now I can stop getting up at 2 am to pump those extra ounces! I'm trying to look on the bright side...

• Options
    Any breastfeeding moms cut out dairy? My little guy wakes up frequently at night because he has gas. We try gas drops now and then, but they dont really seem to work. Not sure if the amount of gas he gets is normal or if it's something in my diet.