September 2016 Moms

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Miles has been cutting his feeding times down over the past week. He had a weigh in at his 1 month appointment, and even though his overall weight gain is on target, the last week he didn't gain as much as he should. The same time he went from 10 minute feed to 5 minute feeds. 

I have no idea what is causing this. He's EBF, and when he pulls off I switch sides, positions, etc. He just won't latch back on. Seems happy/content though and he has enough wet/poopy diapers so I dunno? I'm going to try to see the LC this week to see if she has any insight.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Thanks @jensou I'm super happy to see her gains. And considering she wasn't feeding or voiding at all the first few days, I'm especially proud. And oh yeah, go boobies! Ha! It was all about the schedule. Feed every two hours during the day, then three hour stretch at night. A week of that made all the difference. I pushed the envelope last night with making it more like 4 hours. Baby girl slept so well. Hoping I don't eat my words tonight. lol!!

@homebird does he fall asleep at the breast? My girl does and I just prop her up and burp her and then switch sides and wake her. Then she will latch. Sometimes she doesn't know she wants it. Then she will fuss a few minutes after and I gotta go back to feeding. Hope your LC can help! I know mine has been a blessing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thats awesome @rock1cherry !  Nice work!  I finally made an appt for my daughters tongue tie.  Our ped said it wasn't bad enough to worry about, but my nips still hurt and I can hear her "losing" her latch. The doc is a freaking hour away plus I'll have to go during rush hour, ugh!  Would love to do the procedure the same day, doubt thatll happen...
  • I've heard that tongue ties make breastfeeding very difficult @hejo2016 have you tried a nipple shield? May help...but maybe not. My LC wants me to ween my little lady off of it within the next month or two, but it's really helped us feed and get her on track. Plus my nipples are getting more erect so I can keep trying without it. One day at a time! Sucks your LC is so far away! Is there anyone closer you can see or get a second opinion from?
  • @rock1cherry Sounds like our babies are doing the same thing. My son is cluster feeding like crazy although he's on for 3-10 minutes then off for a couple minutes then back on for another 3-10 minutes and this goes on and on all day. When we went to our pediatrician appointment this week he had gained just under a pound in a week. The doctor didn't really have any advice on avoiding cluster feeding other than its a phase. Sounds like you LO is already getting past it. Hopefully we'll be there soon!
  • @Laraeq mine is still doing it, but she's doing it earlier now finally. It doesn't happen middle of the night but rather the evening. She falls asleep on me and then I move her then she wakes up and wants more. She seems like she has a never ending tummy! I don't know where she puts it all...
  • To those with cluster feeding babies, when did the cluster feeding start? My daughter is only 6 days old and wants to suck all the time. If I let her feed she'll spit it all up so we give her a pacifier. My first would never take one, but it really satisfies that need to suck. But I'm just wondering if the cluster feeding is still to come. 

• @molosmiles mine started cluster feeding around 9-10 days old I think. She's now 13 days old and is still doing it. Though instead of it being middle of the night it's earlier evening (8-12 ish), thankfully. I'm still exhausted from feeding constantly. 
  • Is it bad I don't even remember?? I'd say 2 weeks and 6 weeks old she really cluster fed. It's an effective way for baby to bump up your milk supply! After her 6 week one (we just made it) she started sleeping for longer stretches. 5p-8:30p. I'd love it if she would do that when I'm in bed but it's been nice to her dinner done AND eat it 
  • We struggled to get her to sleep between 11 and 12 (after a feeding), but she finally slept. We woke her at 4 and then again at 8 so we did pretty well again. Hoping it continues. 
  • @molosmiles mine cluster fed at 24hrs and then at 2wks for about 3 days. She's seemed to calm down a bit now, but yes, great way to boost milk supply!
    @rock1cherry our son had a severe tongue tie, wouldn't even latch on one boob, so this time feels not as urgent with this LO. But I shoulda made the appt a while ago... There is a doc closer, but our ped  didn't recommend him... 
  • lilaroslilaros member
    edited October 2016
    @molosmiles Mine started cluster feeding at about a week old. He's now 2.5 weeks. This morning he did feed for a longer (30 minutes!) stretch this morning which is a major improvement over his average 3-5 minute feeding sessions. I'm hoping that if he eats for longer, he'll slow down with the cluster feeding but who knows.
  • @Laraeq is he falling asleep after 3-5 minutes or won't latch back on? I can only imagine how exhausting that is. 
  • @molosmiles About half of the time he falls asleep and the other half of the time he pulls off and throws a fit if you try to get him to relatch. He gained a pound in a week so despite the short feeding sessions he is getting enough to eat. It's definitely annoying though, and I feel a bit like a dairy cow. Haha
  • For those using a nipple shield, any tips on how to get baby to latch when she has active hands/head? My DD ends up pushing the shield off making nursing a two person ordeal, one to hold the shield and the other to get the latch. 
  • @estephenson13 I put a burb cloth over my LO'S arm and shoulder and that sits under my breast. It catches the dribbles and keeps her arm down. She'll knock the shield off with her head still but I'm able to hold her with one arm and hold the shield with the other until she latches. It's much easier when using the boppy. 
  • @estephenson13 My LO does the same thing. Using a boppy helps a lot with this for me. I usually grab arms with one hand and nipple shield and breast with other whilst the boot is supporting him. He only tends to knock it off when he is in the side lying hold.
  • I've gotten much better at managing the shield. She still knocks it off a lot, but I'm persistent. I was told to wet the edges so it sticks. I use either a glass of water or I just lick my finger and rub it around the edge. It helps a bit! But persistence and practice are where it's at!
  • Swaddling those little arms in was a must when I was using the shield or else she would knock it off or end up punching a very tender nipple. Made positioning her easy as well. I think all the pumping has helped my inverted nipples become outies, still have a little trouble with the right side but we are getting there, have been off the shield for a couple of weeks but it is still close by just in case.

Reading online there was a lot about the shields interfering with your milk supply, but I just don't see how that is possible. Shouldn't it improve the supply as it enables baby to feed and empty your breast? I still wouldn't hesitate to start using it again if my nipples need a rest, but what have your LC's said about the shields ?

• @jellybiehn my LC wants me to try to ween away from using the shield if I can by her one month appointment. She said if we weren't off it by the appt she would help us and give suggestions. She said last time she could see a difference in my nipple and thinks LO could go without. I tried yesterday on one side and got a little feeding in. Then she got fussy so I went back to it. But I will keep trying. 
  • Thanks for all the shield help suggestions everyone!!
  • I'm a FTM, attempted to breastfeed with help of nipple shields as I have inverted/flash nipples. I gave up and am pumping and feeding and it's been working great (after I spent 2 weeks feeling like a failure!). 

My question is to all you BTDT moms is... how on earth do I know if he is eating enough? When do I know to increase volume? He is 4 weeks today and gets 3 oz at each feeding and is going almost exactly 2 hours between feedings during the day and then about 3-4 hours at night, but lately he is spending 1 night going every 1.5 to 2 hours and then back to every 3-4 hours the next. I don't want to overfeeding but don't want to undergrad either. The pediatrician just says that as long as he is happy and gaining weight I don't need to worry. 

Thanks!
  • @devilishturtles what your pedi said. With my first I was so concerned about over feeding that I would cut her off and she was never satisfied. I regret that now. I don't think newborns will overeat. Go with his cues. I'm having a better time nursing this time so I really have to go with babies cues to know when she is done. Do a quick Google search for average amounts babies should eat, but use that as a guideline not a definite for your baby.
  • I downloaded the Wonder Weeks app (audio book version) and its like 99 cents per "leap" but I remembered this helped me alot with my older daughter when we wanted to cluster feed or was fussy and I didn't know why. The book explains about the growth spurts (leaps) babies encounter from newborn until 20 months. I like it. Helped remind me what to anticipate and how to cope. Not too crazy about paying for the chapter audio but no chance I'll have time to read so listening while I nurse/pump works just fine :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • First Leap talks about how they are in need of extra comfort/cuddles because certain sense are very "on" and aware. They seek nursing as comfort more than nourishment, I thought I was losing it, I fed her and then changed her but she was still fussy and trying to nurse but not really eat then falls asleep... and wakes back up when i move her trying to nurse again :/
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loved it to commiserate with you @chavezrd2 my LO does the same thing. I went to put her down (she was already sleeping) at 11 last night. She stirred like five minutes after I climbed into bed so I got up and fed her and she fell asleep. I put her down. Five minutes later she's awake again. I change her diaper and feed her again. She falls asleep. I put her down and this went on and on for three hours last night. After that, she went down around 1:30. Slept til 4. Then fed and slept til 7. So I got about 5 hrs of sleep. Definitely gonna nap today!
  • Rock1cherry I could've written your post word for word. Went through the exact thing last night. The times your baby woke up are identical as well. All morning j am having to hold her just so I can nap. I'm exhausted!
  • After our doctors'appointment today, Olivia has lost 3 ounces! She hasn't regained her birth weight yet, but we were slowly making progress. Now I am a wide range of emotions. It happened to be that today was also the local breastfeeding support group, so I got to see a lactation consultant. She suggested a slightly different hold, emphasis on keeping Olivia's chin in and how to detect a crappy latch. She also suggested that if after feeding I think she is still hungry, I can supplement with some of the milk I have already pumped, as she also wants me to do that 8 times a day. I am worried about starving my daughter, not being anything more than a set of boobs, and how my husband is going to pick up the slack I am going to have to give him with this much of a time commitment. (Olivia eats every 2 hours at least.) I know new moms have trouble/don't know everything, but I wish my area of utter confusion wasn't feeding my daughter! 
  • Loving it for support for both of you. I've had my own doubts too. In the beginning I was barely feeding Molly as I thought she'd cue me. She didn't. So I didn't feed on schedule. Then we met with a LC and she got us on track. There's a reason why they exist. Breastfeeding, while natural, is not easy. It's super hard and challenging. I didn't expect it. Don't doubt yourself. You're doing great!! (I need to take my own advice) 
  • Ditto to what @rock1cherry said. I wasn't really feeding on a schedule at first until the pediatrician told us to and he has been gaining weight like crazy. I truly did not realize how stressful breastfeeding can be. There are still days I am an emotional wreck because I feel like a walking milk machine. It will get better(talking to myself and everyone else), I promise.
  • @skirtandsandals I'm sorry! Pumping is hard and time consuming. And 8 times per day!! I feel for you. Just remember that feeding your daughter and your mental health are just as important, there is always formula to supplement on those rough days.  Don't feel like it's you being confused, breastfeeding is no walk in the park for most of us. You are doing the best you can! 
  • Got my daughters tongue and lip tie clipped today. Glad they just did it and didn't make us come back for a 2nd appt. Hopefully she's not too fussy today and my boobs feel better!
    @skirtandsandals I second what the other ladies said, it's hard! All of it! Try not to beat yourself up over it! A fed baby = a happy baby and mom! Sounds like you're on top of things now!
  • @hejo2016 glad to hear you got the ties fixed today! Hopefully you'll have a happy baby and a good feeder after it heals. :)

@jenkar01 yes some days it looks like Molly is bigger than others. Her cheeks are filling out and her belly is filling out. It's cute. 
  • @hejo2016 what is the healing process and time for that? I'm glad they were able to get it done right away too. Yay!

My little one poops so much. I change her and she poops before she's off the changing table. She poops, I wait awhile so she gets it all out and she'll still poop in the clean diaper. I put her in the car seat and then poop. I know it means she's eating enough which makes me happy but I'm already over the poo! Ha ha. 
  • Oops thought this was the randoms thread. But I guess poo goes with feeding. .
  • @molosmiles within 48hrs she should be latching better. At 24hrs she should be feeling a little better. I'm going to give her Tylenol tonite, she's been clingy all day, which is understandable. Just hoping for a decent stretch of sleep tonite. We have to massage under her tongue and lip for a week to help with the healing and so it doesn't reattach.