December 2016 Moms

Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

167891012»

Re: Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• That's the recommendation for my practice anyway though they will check if you request
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @Kate08Young and @slartybartfast ! I think after the first one I'll probably try to hold off unless something really is happening but I'm gonna guess prob not at that point. (Since I'm convinced I'll be pregnant forever!) 
  • Your cervix can be dialated to 3 for weeks. Or it can stay at 2 after hours of intense active labor. Checks have the potential to irritate and introduce bacteria. I totally opt out until active labor.
    Yep, this. I plan to opt out unless there's a reason. Also, you could not be dilated at all and go into full blown labor at a moments notice. There's really no rhyme or reason to it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've haven't found either cervix checks, or membrane sweeps for that matter @ ~ 38 weeks or later, to be that uncomfortable in either of my previous pregnancies.  That said, I agree that the checks are pretty unnecessary and can lead to a lot of angst depending on your personality (i.e. why am I not progressing/why isn't this baby coming already, I'm x cm dilated).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • I thought they were crazy painful and my practice doesn't do them til you're overdue...even my almost 42 week on sucked! 
  • SmashJam said:
    I thought they were crazy painful and my practice doesn't do them til you're overdue...even my almost 42 week on sucked! 
    Agreed. It was very painful for me, but they all commented on how my cervix was tipped the wrong way and that's why it was difficult. I'm, Thanks.
    I was 1cm and 30% effaced at 40 weeks with DD1, and the doctor offered to sweep my membranes. I was super done being pregnant, so I said 'sure!' Omg, pain. I was totally crying. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Questions: When your water broke, was it like a slow trickle? Also, any advice of how to prepare for water breaking and going into labor at work, in public, etc? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LauraH22, with both my previous labors, my water broke naturally sometime during transition at the hospital (I could feel a pop and then a large amount of fluid).  From what I understand, it's quite possible for it to be a slow leak as well though.

The only preparation I've ever made is purchasing a waterproof mattress cover, but you may want to have something like a towel (or even crib sheet protector maybe?) in your car just in case you're not at home or the hospital when it occurs.

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • LauraH22 said:
    Questions: When your water broke, was it like a slow trickle? Also, any advice of how to prepare for water breaking and going into labor at work, in public, etc? 
    Keep in mind, only 1/10 women experience water "breaking" prior to being in significant labor. Also, labor does not always begin right away after water breaks (if it does). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LAuraH22 when I went to the doc with DS because i thought my water had leaked in a "slow trickle" and it turned out I was just peeing myself (lol), they told me that it was relatively uncommon for water to break that way. Something about how that means the bag of waters tore at the top and was trickling down, and that was just not usually how it happened.
  • I have a question for all mom's out there...Is a bottle sterilizer really a necessity?  Can't I just use a dish washer?  
  • @caffeinenut I never had a sterilizer for my bottles or breast pump stuff - I just was diligent about washing everything.

• I have a question for all mom's out there...Is a bottle sterilizer really a necessity?  Can't I just use a dish washer?  
    Never used a sterilizer. Boiled everything prior to use and anytime someone was sick or something, otherwise washed in hot, soapy water. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Dish washer with heated dry is all you need. There are so many products out there that are unnecessary, a bottle sterilizer is one of them. 

• Soooo... LO won't stay on her back while sleeping. We have her in a halo sleepsack with the velcro swaddling wing things (amazing!) but even though we place her on her back, she keeps rolling onto her side or about 1/2 way to her side. Is that normal or something we should be concerned about correcting?

• @ea301 Technically you should be concerned. SIDS is a big thing, and back sleeping has the best supporting research.

Every time I asked L's pedi they said 'as long as its not his stomach, and he did it himself just watch him.'

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @ea301 your baby is impressive! My cousin used this side sleeping wedge thing for her daughter. If LO is in the (awesome) halo sack, I imagine she wouldn't be able to go onto  her stomach with the wedge. 

• @ea301 your baby is impressive! My cousin used this side sleeping wedge thing for her daughter. If LO is in the (awesome) halo sack, I imagine she wouldn't be able to go onto  her stomach with the wedge. 

Many of these have been recalled for suffocation risk. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bedsores? After being in a bed immobile for 48hours and only able to get up to pee 24hours after that (As of 2 hours ago I've been home from the hospital and have tried to move around, but my still swelling feet are pain factors here too) Pretty sure I have the very beginning stages of bed sores. My bottom is in a lot of pain. Has this happened to anyone and what did you do?
  • @BabyRobbinsAdventure I have been there, you will have to get up more. Take pain killers, and get up and move, it sucks, I know but it's the only way. Also, do you have a recliner that you can sit and lay back in? If you go between the bed and a recliner or chair, it helps just to sit on a different shape. 

• @BabyRobbinsAdventure I have been there, you will have to get up more. Take pain killers, and get up and move, it sucks, I know but it's the only way. Also, do you have a recliner that you can sit and lay back in? If you go between the bed and a recliner or chair, it helps just to sit on a different shape. 
    Truth. You must get up, you must move. It's the only way through it. Solidarity sister!!
    BabyFruit Ticker