July 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn/Postpartum Thread

Re: Newborn/Postpartum Thread

• Options
    Is anyone's LO having more green than yellow poops? The last two times Camille has pooped it's been more green. I read that green poop could be a foremilk/Hindmilk imbalance but it's not bubbly just green. I'm starting to worry that she's not getting enough Hindmilk. We also supplement with formula so this could be the culprit too. Any thoughts? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy Yes! I asked the pediatrician about it and she said it was probably because she wasn't emptying out my boob at each feeding so now I only offer one instead of both. I also supplement. I noticed more green poops though on days I use formula more. I read somewhere that an increase in iron can cause green poop. So I wondered if the iron in the formula affected it. 
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy Yes... like pp said it could be too much foremilk, but it also could be the formula if there is added iron in it.  I would say if the poop isn't frothy/mucousy and if you haven't had other signs of an oversupply than it's probably the iron but it's always good to ask your ped too.  
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    It's definitely not frothy and I don't think I have an oversupply as I can only get 2-4 ounces of breastmilk when I pump on both breasts. She does tend to have a lot of smelly gas usually more in the evenings and she has the hiccups about twice a day. Are there any other signs I should be looking for? 
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy- with DD1 when we switched formulas she had green poop and it's due to the iron. It eventually went back to normal.  If you're up to googling it, the pictures might be a good reference to determine iron fortified loop versus too much fore milk.  
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy It could also be something you're eating. Both my babies seemed affected when I had a lot of tomato (acidic).
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Her doctor and the LC seem to think it's the formula since we're supplementing and her poops aren't frothy. On to the next thing to worry about lol 
  • Options
    Has anyone had a LO with an umbilical granuloma? What procedures were done, and did it shrink down?

We went to DS's 1 month appt (he's 5 weeks as of yesterday) and the pedi said he has an umbilical granuloma, and his is fairly big. She carterized it in the office today, and I'm supposed to call back Monday to update her on the size. She said if needed, she would carterize again, but if it still doesn't shrink down, we would be referred to a pediatric surgeon to remove it.
  • Options
    DD is 3 weeks old and still hasn't lost her umbilical cord. It's not red or inflamed but I just want it to fall off already!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    Tmi, but has anyone else had sex again? I stopped bleeding two weeks ago, but got a little bit of spotting and cramping on Saturday. On Sunday we had sex, and since then I have been having period like cramps and I am gushing blood again. I keep bleeding through my pads. 
  • Options
    @MDmomma1217 My LO had a small granuloma. We noticed his cord smelled really bad and right before it fell off it was all slimy under there so we took him to the pedi. Initially he had a very small white/yellow growth in the middle so his belly button looked more like a nipple. His was small enough that the pedi said it should heal on its own but if not they could treat it at his one month appt. His belly button is really deep and I don't see it any more, but there's still a little dried blood around there I clean off every morning. Seems almost healed though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whataboutscience Glad to hear that it is healing well, hopefully you won't have to treat it any further. Since DS cord fell off we just noticed that the area had a bit of clear fluid leaking from time to time (not every day) but no weird smells or colors. It takes up his entire naval though, I'm hoping just cauterizing it does the trick.
  • Options
    LF93LF93 member
    @shaylalr I'm honestly afraid to have sex again, i had 5 stitches and even though they should be completely healed I'm very wary. Plus I have this lump at the entrance to my vagina and I used doctor google and think it could be a prolapse. Whatever that is! Scared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    @MDmomma1217- DD's umbilical cord took 1 month to fall off. It was still red and gross, so her doctor froze it. Her belly button looked huge. The doctor said she might grow into it or she might want cosmetic surgery when she is older. Two and a half years later, it looks normal! 
  • Options
    @shaylalr we tried last week at 6w PP but I was in a bit of pain so we didn't go through with it. Since then I've been bleeding again. Nothing huge, but enough to soak a pantiliner within a couple hours.
  • Options
    @lf93 I also had a bump and I asked my midwife to look at it. Apparently I wasn't stitched up perfectly, so one part jutted out more than the other. It was extra bumpy because of the rubbing and swelling. Hopefully that is the reason for you??

After googling and hearing some responses, I think I might have gotten my period already. It really does look and feel like it. 
  • Options
    I keep thinking I've started my period but then it stops. It doesn't help that I just got my Mirena last Thursday so I'm almost positive it's just spotting from that. I was a little crampy that morning, but I could have just been nervous for my appointment. So I really have no idea haha. I've had a couple rounds of pretty strong cramping since then, but nothing happens other than the random spotting. It's going to be so fun getting used to this thing. Ugh.
  • Options
    My period started yesterday. 9 weeks pp and breastfeeding. And holy crap is it heavy. I wasn't prepared for that!
  • Options
    Last time I got my period back at 4 weeks formula feeding. I am 4 weeks tomorrow. I'm bracing myself for anything. I quit bleeding at about 2 and a half weeks.
  • Options
    Oh man I haven't prepared for periods!! Dang I thought we were a ways away, breastfeeding. Ugh!! 
  • Options
    If you are BFing, don't worry too much. Everyone is different. I didn't start mine until DD was 10.5 months and she was consistently sleeping through the night at 4 months. My mom and MIL both had kids 15 months apart BFing though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My baby is grunting a lot too during sleep.  I pick him up and pat his back and he settles back down.  I'll be asking his pediatrician about this on Monday.
  • Options
    sboston06 said:

Here's a tip that might help someone else...if you have a yoga ball, your LO might enjoy being bounced by you while sitting on the ball. I find this easier than bouncing her in my arms while standing or sitting on the couch. 
    C Loves the exercise ball! Soothes her almost immediately. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sboston06- both my babies have been noisy sleepers. We moved DD into her own room early so we could get more sleep!  In her own room I could hear her cry but didn't wake up for all the grunts,stirring, etc. 

My pedi said that she wasn't concerned about DD2's noises. As long as she breathes well. DD2 gets noisy about 30 minutes before she wakes up, which means I am awake. I'm trying not to feed her until she is awake because I do not want to create bad sleeping patterns. However I want more sleep!  I know having baby sleep in our room lowers the risk of SIDS and is recommended until age 1, but DH is ready for her to be out of our room. We will see how much longer she is in our room. 
  • Options
    @holly142 until age 1?!  Yea that's not happening. We'll probably transition her to her own room and crib around 2-3 months. Hopefully!!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    I know!  I think DD was less than 2 months when we moved her out. At my parenting child class, the instructor mentioned the 1 year and since then I've read that. That is too long! 
  • Options
    AFAIK the AAP still recommends only 6 months of room sharing (though SIDS deaths are through one year old). My pediatrician and hospital paperwork mentioned this as well... That was our plan as that's when I will go back to work and would like him transitioned to his crib/room at that point. A year seems like a long time!!
  • Options
    DD was a super light sleeper and noisy so we all woke each other up and hated it. We moved her at 3 months with our pediatrician's blessing. DS seems to be a much heavier and more peaceful sleeper, so we might keep him with us longer just because the nursery is next to his sister's room and I don't want her to get woken up.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My LO grunts all day. He breathes fine, but just loves making noises. He's my first so I can't compare. He's very healthy though!
  • Options
    @holly142 Haha! Your DH sounds like mine. He's so bothered by all her grunts and wants to move her now. I refuse. Yet he's the first to dart over and look at her when she does make noise!! Hmm...ironic! We have a "room" within our room so I think the compromise I'm going to make is at 2 months we start shifting her a little further...more into the room in our room. I still want her to be close!!! But I understand the noises make it difficult to get good sleep. 
  • Options
    I have never even heard this room sharing suggestion! He has been in his crib in his room since night one at home.
  • Options
    @hannahmp we moved our LO before the end of the first week home! Now I'm wondering if we should move him back..?
  • Options
    @hannahmp @hreed7289https://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-content/uploads/Room_Sharing.pdf We definitely moved DD earlier than recommended, but here's some info on the recommendations and why. This source says 6-12 months of sharing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm not too worried about it. My pediatrician asked where he sleeps and I told her. She didn't say anything. 
  • Options
    My DD1 was sleeping through the night at 3 months and then we moved her at 3.5 months. 
  • Options
    We're currently room sharing. It made it easier after my csection. I'm also too paranoid I won't hear her otherwise. She is a noisy restless sleeper too so if she starts sleeping longer stretcheds at night i might switch earlier than 6 months. But whatever works for everyone is what we should do. We're great moms either way. 
  • Options
    With how easily DD woke, I'm sure she only started sleeping through the night because we moved her. If we waited until she was doing that first, she'd probably still be in here with DS.
    Pregnancy Ticker