April 2016 Moms

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• We are really lucky we get one 5-8 hours stretch. Usually 6.5 we take full advantage and go to sleep shortly after she does!
  • Any tips for baby acne other than "put breast milk on it" or "leave it alone"? I know I'm not supposed to put adult acne products on it, but maybe something I could eat to pass through my system to his? A natural remedy like coconut oil?

I stopped using baby oil and baby lotion on his scalp for a few days, which I was using for his cradle cap, to give his face a rest from being near so much grease. Also noticed his Shea shampoo has Argan oil, and gave that a rest too. We're on oil hiatus until he clears up a bit. 

I know it's probably my hormones, and I know it's not bothering him at all, but I feel bad seeing my baby all covered in pimples on his sweet little cheeks.
    I make sure to wipe his face with a cloth when we are done nursing. it seems to have helped or we just got past that stage. Who knows? Not me.
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsZkoMrsZko member
    I agree on leaving the baby acne alone. It just dries up eventually.... i think because its hormonal there isn't much to do about it. but it is too bad they get it. Their poor little skin just isn't as soft. But it will pass that's for sure! 
  • What size diapers are you ladies using? My baby is a little over six weeks and i feel like size 1 is getting too small. He was almost nine pounds when he was born and has never fit in newborn clothes and now is growing out of 0-3 mo
  • We're using size one. He is almost seven weeks and was born at 7lb 1oz and is now over 11lb. Size one was huge on him till about last week.
  • Size one fitting well at 7 weeks and around 10-11 pounds. 
  • MrsZkoMrsZko member
    Were just switching over to size 2 which says is good as of 12 pounds. I haven't weighed him in about 2 weeks (he'll be 6 weeks in 3 days) but weighed 11 and a half pounds at 4 weeks. So my guess is he's over 12, based on how quickly he's been gaining.
  • Our little guy is 7 weeks and is still in newborn diapers. We had to go swap out some size 1 boxes because we didn't have enough newborn size! Size 1 is huuuuge on him. At least the Pampers Swaddlers were. He was born 6lb 7oz and was 8lbs at his 1 month check up. We just have a little dude I guess because he still only wears newborn sized clothing as well. All 0-3/3 month are huuuuge on him.
  • We just started on size 1 (at 6 weeks) but they are still pretty big...trying them out though since we ran out of newborn size. At 5 week s she was 8lb10oz so we shall see! Still in NB clothes as well!
  • What size diapers are you ladies using? My baby is a little over six weeks and i feel like size 1 is getting too small. He was almost nine pounds when he was born and has never fit in newborn clothes and now is growing out of 0-3 mo
    Size one .  She's too big for certain NB clothes but too small for most 3mo so we are at a in between stage too.
    shes 10#8oz
  • Any tips for baby acne other than "put breast milk on it" or "leave it alone"? I know I'm not supposed to put adult acne products on it, but maybe something I could eat to pass through my system to his? A natural remedy like coconut oil?

I stopped using baby oil and baby lotion on his scalp for a few days, which I was using for his cradle cap, to give his face a rest from being near so much grease. Also noticed his Shea shampoo has Argan oil, and gave that a rest too. We're on oil hiatus until he clears up a bit. 

I know it's probably my hormones, and I know it's not bothering him at all, but I feel bad seeing my baby all covered in pimples on his sweet little cheeks.
    I make sure to wipe his face with a cloth when we are done nursing. it seems to have helped or we just got past that stage. Who knows? Not me.
    I second A damp cloth helps for sure  but my LO never got cradle cap however I think it's because I use this 3x a week at bath time and I used it on her baby acne a few times and I notice a huge difference when I use it on her face. I seriously think it's helped a ton with her baby acne. It's mustela foam shampoo for newborns .
    I have gotten it at BRU and target 
    Love all their products ! 
  • All y'all whose babies are still in newbown stuff, give your little one an extra snuggle. R is growing way too fast. I'm glad we aren't having the feeding issues I had with L, but R started out smaller, so she felt tiny and snuggly compared to L. She has sprouted quickly and is currently bigger than L was at 3+ months. The other day I tried a 6 month size outfit on her, expecting it to be comically large, but it fit and she wore it all day  :'(.
    kids with flags
  • He can only wear 3 month clothes now. He's very tall! The look huge on him around the middle.
  • LO is 6w5d and is still in NB diapers and clothes. 
  • How can you tell the difference between lo being gassy vs. overstimulated? I posted a few days ago about lo being overstimulated, but I'm really struggling to figure her out.

She feeds just fine with minimal gas (burping) over night. Usually sleeps 3-4 hour stretches. But during the day it's totally opposite. She cries a lot when she's awake and only takes small feedings. She has trouble falling asleep and then when she does she only sleeps 10, 15 minutes and wakes up and it starts all over again.  

Anyone have any advice? 

FWIW  I EP and bottle feed with Dr browns, and watch my diet carefully. 
  • Simethicone.
  • korpatch said:
    Simethicone.
    Tried it :( And gripe water
  • Then it might not be from swallowed air. That is the only thing I believe it works on. Have you tried gerber soothe drops? They are expensive, but were going to be the next step if the simethicone didn't work because they have probiotics in them. Many women swear by them.
  • @korpatch no I haven't tried those. I was thinking about it. I've been taking a baby&me probiotic that I would assume she gets through the breastmilk. Would I give the Gerber drops in addition? Or should I stop taking mine?
  • If call your pediatrician and ask.
  • LO is 7 weeks old and we just started putting him in size 2 diapers. When he starts leaking and/or peeing on me, then I know its time to go up a size, lol. Same thing happened when he outgrew nb diapers. He was 8lbs 3 oz and 21in at birth, and 11lbs 2in at his 1 month appt. he has outgrown a lot of his nb clothes and is wearing 0-3m and a few 3m outfits. 
  • edited May 2016
    Anybody else's baby's cough? Mason will occasionally let out 3-4 little dry coughs, back to back. It's not a consistent, all day cough as if he's sick. He doesn't have a fever, or seem upset at all. So I wonder... Allergies? Reflux? 

ETA: His pediatrician's office said he didn't need to come in if it wasn't accompanied by any other symptoms and didn't appear to be getting worse or making him uncomfortable, and that there was nothing I could give him anyway for just a cough... So what I'm looking for is antecdotal info from other mommies :) 
  • Anybody else's baby's cough? Mason will occasionally let out 3-4 little dry coughs, back to back. It's not a consistent, all day cough as if he's sick. He doesn't have a fever, or seem upset at all. So I wonder... Allergies? Reflux? 

ETA: His pediatrician's office said he didn't need to come in if it wasn't accompanied by any other symptoms and didn't appear to be getting worse or making him uncomfortable, and that there was nothing I could give him anyway for just a cough... So what I'm looking for is antecdotal info from other mommies :) 
    Roo is the same way he stays stopped up and has a cough whenever he cries. The pediatrician says it's not the flu and since it's not going away we figure it's allergies. She suggested a humidifier for his room. And saline drops and cleaning his nose out whenever needed. None of it fazes him so we just stay on top of keeping his nose clear.
  • LO will cough sometimes like that too. It doesn't seem to bother him so I haven't worried about it. He does have some nasal congestion though that we use saline drops for. 
  • WBORDERS said:
    LO will cough sometimes like that too. It doesn't seem to bother him so I haven't worried about it. He does have some nasal congestion though that we use saline drops for. 
    I think I've read too much about whooping cough and RSV so I am being a freak about Mason's cough and watching him like a hawk. My logical mind says don't worry about it, but the Internet has scared me so much! 

I think I would almost feel better if he had congestion so I could be like "oh ok, it's just a cold". 
  • @Missingchampagne my baby has the dry cough here and there too without nasal congestion. 
  • Anybody else's baby's cough? Mason will occasionally let out 3-4 little dry coughs, back to back. It's not a consistent, all day cough as if he's sick. He doesn't have a fever, or seem upset at all. So I wonder... Allergies? Reflux? 

ETA: His pediatrician's office said he didn't need to come in if it wasn't accompanied by any other symptoms and didn't appear to be getting worse or making him uncomfortable, and that there was nothing I could give him a
     nyway for just a cough... So what I'm looking for is antecdotal info from other mommies :) 
    My baby gets the occasional cough which is sometimes followed by a sneeze. I'm not sure what it's from but I'm not too worried.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a reflux cough, runny nose, and lots of sneezing. He had to go to the doc for a fever today that went down on its own. If it happens again, we have to take him to the ER.
  • wildtotwildtot member
    Any ones LO breath different at night? During the day LO breaths pretty quietly but at night he's like a little monster. He sounds congested sometimes or like he's got something in his throat (almost phlegm sounding). We'll clean out his boogies and burp him but he still sounds this way. I tried adjusting the angle of the bed but nothing changes. He doesn't appear to be sick. He gets the occasional cough and sneeze. 
  • Update on the cough:
    I ended up taking the little guy to the pediatrician to have him listen to his chest and do an exam, just in case. I had been sick and wanted to rule it out. The doctor suspected reflux was the cause, and recommended formula with a starchier makeup (especially at night) to give his body less to toss back up. He also recommended a humidifier, and since it was a dry sounding cough I picked one up on the way home. The cough is already better, without switching anything about his eating habits yet! I have been trying to pace him with his bottle (I pump and supplement), but I think the humid air is really helping him a ton already. So happy! 
  • Any ones LO breath different at night? During the day LO breaths pretty quietly but at night he's like a little monster. He sounds congested sometimes or like he's got something in his throat (almost phlegm sounding). We'll clean out his boogies and burp him but he still sounds this way. I tried adjusting the angle of the bed but nothing changes. He doesn't appear to be sick. He gets the occasional cough and sneeze. 
    Yes!! No clue why.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Anyone else's LO gasp for air? Mine has always had a little wheezy sigh breathing when he sleeps which the doctors say will probably go away or isn't anything to be concerned about. But he sometimes jolts awake gasping for air and it scares the crap outta me!! This happens during the day and at night. Should I be concerned?
  • Any ones LO breath different at night? During the day LO breaths pretty quietly but at night he's like a little monster. He sounds congested sometimes or like he's got something in his throat (almost phlegm sounding). We'll clean out his boogies and burp him but he still sounds this way. I tried adjusting the angle of the bed but nothing changes. He doesn't appear to be sick. He gets the occasional cough and sneeze. 
    Yes, my LO is so noisy at night. I talked to my pedi about it and he said it's normal for some babies to be/sound congested at night. It's only a problem if LO is in pain or is not eating. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited May 2016
    Anyone else's LO gasp for air? Mine has always had a little wheezy sigh breathing when he sleeps which the doctors say will probably go away or isn't anything to be concerned about. But he sometimes jolts awake gasping for air and it scares the crap outta me!! This happens during the day and at night. Should I be concerned?
    Mine started doing this then it turned into her choking on her silent reflux and she would stop breathing until I pick her up and suction out her throat or pat her back her over my shoulder.
    wheezyness can be a reflux issue but it's not uncommon for newborns to be congested per my pediatrician anyway

she sleeps elevated now and is not allowed to be on her back flat unless I'm changing her. She was put on nexium too

not tying to scare you I'm just sharing my experience
  • Anyone else's LO gasp for air? Mine has always had a little wheezy sigh breathing when he sleeps which the doctors say will probably go away or isn't anything to be concerned about. But he sometimes jolts awake gasping for air and it scares the crap outta me!! This happens during the day and at night. Should I be concerned?
    Mine does this pretty frequently too whether awake or asleep. She also has a heart murmur so I worry that it's related to that. I talked to her Cardiologist about it and he's not worried. He said it can be a normal newborn thing and that I shouldn't worry (although I still do).
  • Oof. LO was working hard on a number 2 after breastfeeding and was successful on both ends--he pooped and projective vomited everywhere. He's never done this before. I know projectile vomiting is something to watch out for so now I'm all worried and wondering if it was just from his positioning (lying down) or if its something else.
  • MrsZkoMrsZko member
    Oof. LO was working hard on a number 2 after breastfeeding and was successful on both ends--he pooped and projective vomited everywhere. He's never done this before. I know projectile vomiting is something to watch out for so now I'm all worried and wondering if it was just from his positioning (lying down) or if its something else.
    I bet it's cause he'd just ate, hadn't burped, was forcing and was laying down. Lo will do that but not projectile but often spit up. I blame the straining!
  • Oof. LO was working hard on a number 2 after breastfeeding and was successful on both ends--he pooped and projective vomited everywhere. He's never done this before. I know projectile vomiting is something to watch out for so now I'm all worried and wondering if it was just from his positioning (lying down) or if its something else.
    Don't worry about a 1 time projectile vomiting episode. The concern with projectile vomiting is if it happens every time congruent with weight loss/ not gaining.
  • This happened to my fellow the other night. I sorta freaked out, but he ended up wanting to eat more and kept it all down so... I'm guessing it was just a big gas bubble blocking his tummy.
  • ejledejled member
    @BeatboxBaby our little girl has been sleeping through the night...6.5 to 7.5 hours a night. It is absolutely glorious and I am thankful each and every morning as I know it probably won't last long. And no, we do not wake her to nurse because her weight gain has been right on track.