April 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• Options
    Has anyone tried the Windi? T had been incredibly fussy the last 2 days. He's just inconsolable. He burps, but he tenses his body up so much that I think there's gas lower.

----QBF-----

L had the worst day yesterday too. All day, hourly episodes of belly pain and inconsolable cry. Nursing hourly for comfort but I wonder whether it made his tummy worse... I was thinking of the windi too, and was wondering about Ppls experiences.

Today he's a bit fussy but sleeping, here's hoping the colic goes away.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    Has anyone tried the Windi? T had been incredibly fussy the last 2 days. He's just inconsolable. He burps, but he tenses his body up so much that I think there's gas lower.

----QBF-----

L had the worst day yesterday too. All day, hourly episodes of belly pain and inconsolable cry. Nursing hourly for comfort but I wonder whether it made his tummy worse... I was thinking of the windi too, and was wondering about Ppls experiences.

T has only been happy while sleeping. He's grunting and it sounds like he's straining. So sad.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Andie41 said:
    @Pmommy0416  Do you swaddle your LO? I'm a big fan of that. I have also put my LOs feet in the corner of the crib so they don't kick themselves awake. 
    Yes- we swaddle her. My DH is much better at it than I am so when I am up in the middle of the night for feeds and try to re-swaddle her it's not as good as it could be.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

----QBF-----

My LO has been more fussy than normal too, I think it might be gas. Interested in hearing Windi experiences.
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:
    The gas struggle is real.!

i met with my LC the other day and I found out she's not getting enough hindmilk so it was causing her belly to be upset and she was feeding more often due to not feeling satisfied.

so now I feed her, burp,then  put her back on the same boob and do breast compressions and squeeze the milk down for her.

she slept 5 1/2 hours in a row last night and has been taking nice naps during the day.
    shes passing a lot of gas and I think that's a good thing because it used to get stuck and she was miserable.

i had no idea about foremilk or hindmilk and was feeding her from one boob burping her then offering the other boob so she wasn't getting hardly any of the belly settling fatty stuff.

maybe this info can help somebody else too

Yay! I'm so glad she's finally feeling better!
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    Is gripe water safe for babies less than a month old? I just read something online that said no. LO will be 2 wks tomorrow and has been having lots of gas, spill ups, and upset stomachs. 
  • Options
    Is gripe water safe for babies less than a month old? I just read something online that said no. LO will be 2 wks tomorrow and has been having lots of gas, spill ups, and upset stomachs. 
    My doctor said that it was fine; just not highly effective! We've been using it off and on since DS was about a week old. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    Yes ! I bought a wipe warmer which seems to hell. Babies don't like being cold
    I have one too and I agree, baby likes it better.
    Same here! She likes the warm wipes so much better. Also, I switched wipe brands, and that seemed to calm her down, too. I guess pampers wasn't very gentle after all.

If it helps anyone, we started using Amazon brand wipes, the sensitive kind. They were a gift, and so far they seem to work well. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Elements-Wipes-Sensitive-Flip-Top/dp/B00M4M2W1W/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462166186&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+wipes

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    K&ElizabethK&Elizabeth member
    edited May 2016
    T turned 2 weeks in Thursday. Since then he's been so incredibly gassy, he's only pooping twice a day (really big ones), and it sounds like he's straining to go. He's also eating a bunch more which I attributed to a growth spurt, but do you think the 2 can be related? He went from the happiest baby to a grunting, fussy, unhappy little guy overnight.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    T turned 2 weeks in Thursday. Since then he's been so incredibly gassy, he's only pooping twice a day (really big ones), and it sounds like he's straining to go. He's also eating a banana much more which I attributed to a growth spurt, but do you think the 2 can be related? He went from the happiest baby to a grunting, fussy, unhappy little guy overnight.
    Eating a banana? Am I reading this right? I hope that's some kind of auto-correct mistake. If you're feeding your two week old a banana I definitely think that could cause him some discomfort. In the event that this isn't an auto-correct problem, both WHO and AAP don't recommend babies eat anything except breast milk / formula until 6 months.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    brenlo42 said:
    T turned 2 weeks in Thursday. Since then he's been so incredibly gassy, he's only pooping twice a day (really big ones), and it sounds like he's straining to go. He's also eating a banana much more which I attributed to a growth spurt, but do you think the 2 can be related? He went from the happiest baby to a grunting, fussy, unhappy little guy overnight.
    Eating a banana? Am I reading this right? I hope that's some kind of auto-correct mistake. If you're feeding your two week old a banana I definitely think that could cause him some discomfort. In the event that this isn't an auto-correct problem, both WHO and AAP don't recommend babies eat anything except breast milk / formula until 6 months.
    Yeah, obviously that is auto correct. I know a 2 week old can't eat a banana considering I'm not an idiot and this is my second child. It was supposed to say " eating a bunch more".
  • Options
    This is exactly my LO right now. He's 2 weeks today and the last two days he's been a scream machine. He's eating a lot more frequently, but he's extremely gassy and upset. I'm hoping this is just related to a growth spurt. It makes me feel better to know that he's not  the only one that's gone from calm, cool & collected to upset so quickly. 
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    This is exactly my LO right now. He's 2 weeks today and the last two days he's been a scream machine. He's eating a lot more frequently, but he's extremely gassy and upset. I'm hoping this is just related to a growth spurt. It makes me feel better to know that he's not  the only one that's gone from calm, cool & collected to upset so quickly. 
    Lets hope it passes soon! 
  • Options
    You ladies heard of purple crying? Usually starts at around two weeks. Maybe that is what you all are experiencing. My little guys has started it... But I also think he doesn't sleep enough.
  • Options
    korpatch said:
    You ladies heard of purple crying? Usually starts at around two weeks. Maybe that is what you all are experiencing. My little guys has started it... But I also think he doesn't sleep enough.
    I've never heard of purple crying.... will have to Google that. I know mine isn't sleeping enough though. She hit 3 weeks last Friday and has become a very restless sleeper :(
  • Options
    Definitely google it! It will make you feel much better! I read babies should sleep 15-17 hours a day. I'm lucky if my guy sleeps 13. He's so curious. He loves just laying around and looking. But he's been so fussy after being fed burped and changed, I think he just needs more sleep.
  • Options
    @runningwild @korpatch my LO is also a restless sleeper and he can not sleep for longer than 3 hours. Midwife says it's most likely a growth spurt and it shall pass. Hope so! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At Autumn's 2 weeks appointment, she was 7 ounces lower than her birth weight. The dr didn't seem too concerned about it, but wanted to do a weight check at 4 weeks.  Since then, I've been nursing her every 2 hours, and I also started to add in a 2 ounce bottle of formula before bed.  I weighed her this morning and according to my scale, she's lost more weight since her appointment last week. She's not a fussy baby! She has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, she sleeps well, and doesn't cry any more than I think she should.  Why is she not gaining?! Her next appointment is a week from now and I dread how it's going to go if she doesn't start gaining.  Where do I go from here? I've never had a child not gain weight. And to top all of this off, she now has a cough.  The other kids brought something home from school and despite all my efforts to keep her and myself away, she still ended up with a cough.  I could just cry.  
  • Options
    @SweetBriarBee are you feeding her anything else besides doing BF? Our LO was actually 7oz under her birth weight at 2 weekd as well and the pediatrician told us to feed her an oz of expressed milk or formula after Breastfeeding bc she wasn't eating enough. Hope everything goes well for ya!

Aaaaand if baby keeps crying after you've fed them what you thought you should...if you give them a pacifier, will they reject it or keep crying id the problem is they truly are still hungry?
  • Options
    @SweetBriarBee no advice, just hugs!
  • Options
    @SweetBriarBee no experience with this but I hope you get some answers at your next appointment. :heart: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    Maybe your scale is just different?  I've heard you need to always do weight checks on the same scale because they vary so much. Good luck!
  • Options
    BMwimmerBMwimmer member
    edited May 2016
    At Autumn's 2 weeks appointment, she was 7 ounces lower than her birth weight. The dr didn't seem too concerned about it, but wanted to do a weight check at 4 weeks.  Since then, I've been nursing her every 2 hours, and I also started to add in a 2 ounce bottle of formula before bed.  I weighed her this morning and according to my scale, she's lost more weight since her appointment last week. She's not a fussy baby! She has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, she sleeps well, and doesn't cry any more than I think she should.  Why is she not gaining?! Her next appointment is a week from now and I dread how it's going to go if she doesn't start gaining.  Where do I go from here? I've never had a child not gain weight. And to top all of this off, she now has a cough.  The other kids brought something home from school and despite all my efforts to keep her and myself away, she still ended up with a cough.  I could just cry.  
    We are in the same boat but LO turned 4 weeks today and we go in for another weight check tomorrow. She was born 7.1 at 2 weeks she was 6.11, at 3 weeks 6.12. They made a LC appointment for the following day and we did a weighed feed- from both sides she only gained an oz. so they said I had to start supplementing with an 1-1.5oz after each nursing session. I hope this has helped. But t is very disheartening that I have been battling low supply and have been taking supplements and eating oatmeal for 3 weeks (every single day) and my body just doesn't produce enough milk for her to gain weight. I hope your LO gains! Good luck mama- you're not the only one.

eta- idk why it says this is BMwimmer... This is Brandi81012. Never had an account with that other name
  • Options
    LO had his one month appt today. He has grown an inch and gained 3 pounds! I asked the dr how much he should be eating, because I swear he has a tapeworm or a bottomless pit for a stomach. He is eating 4-5 oz every 2.5-3 hours.  It baffles me!  The dr said to feed him less but more often throughout the day. Im not sure if I agree wih that. I can try giving him 3 oz but I dont want to deprive him if he is still acting hungry. Sometimes he will fall asleep halfway through a bottle and I wake him up to finish, otherwise he'll be wanting more within an hour.  At night Im trying to feed him a little more in hopes he'll sleep longer, but that approach isnt working. I told dh I think LO will eat if theres food in his mouth even if he's not hungry. So much for baby letting me know when he has had enough. :/

Also he has been fighting sleep lately. His witching hour is in the evenings, he just fusses and nothing we do pleases him. I cuddle him close or put him in a swaddle and rock him till he falls alssep. I read that babies can be fussy in the evenings if they are over tired,  but im having a hard time getting him to sleep for naps. if I put him down drowsy, he wakes up and fusses. Right now Im wearing him in the ktan wrap and rocking, and he finally fell asleep. 

How are formula feeding moms gauging how much to feed LOs? Im not sure where the line is of him eating enough to be satisfied and him eating too much or too little and still being hungry.
  • Options
    @BeatboxBaby   She doesn't cry after a feeding.  She cries during diaper changes, when I put her in her car seat, and if I have to leave her in bed a little longer than she wants while I'm dealing with other kids.  She's never really hungry cried. After I nurse her, she's always content and I can put her down and she'll be happy, but even with her seeming content, I can offer a bottle and she will down 2 oz like I never fed her.  She really is a happy baby.   

@myla14  My scale is usually pretty close to the drs, but not always.  It doesn't give me ounces, so it's kind of a guess there.  At her two week appointment, on my scale, she was 6.4 (not in ounces, in tenths). Which would be close to 6 lbs 6 oz.  A couple days later my scale put her at 7.3, and later that day was 6.2.  But, if I took an average of every weigh-in in between, she would still be at about 6.4. The 7.3 was an definitely an error.  I do hope that my scale is wrong, though. 

@BMwimmer  It definitely sucks, especially since I exclusively fed my last for 20 months with no issues.  I hasn't even been a year since I stopped nursing her!  

Last night I nursed her for about an hour, then offered her a 2 oz bottle.  She drank that very quickly, so I made another 2 oz just to see, and she drank that down as well.  Then she slept through the night and wouldn't even wake up enough to nurse more than once.  I've nursed her all morning and she's happy as can be.   

• Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @loveymay what bottle brand are you using? We started off with avent but LO was drinking it super fast and 3-4 fl oz every 3-4 hrs. We switched to dr brown and it has a slower flow. He now ranges between 1.5-3 max (usually 2) every 2-3 hrs. We switched to see if his gas and spill up would improve (some improvement noticed). 
  • Options
    I'm at my wit's end. LO has been up off and on only sleeping 30 min to an hour at a time since midnight thanks to gas. He keeps letting out lots of big farts but the relief only lasts about 30-45 minutes and he's squirming, grunting or screaming again.

Also the only way he will sleep at all is on his tummy on my lap. We've tried gas drops, gripe water, tummy massage, laying him on his tummy, burping, bicycle legs, bringing knees to chest... I'm completely out of remedies!

I'm running on an hour of sleep since 6AM yesterday. I can't believe I haven't passed out from exhaustion yet. 
  • Options
    @Knottie2891384   I have avent too, but the nipple seemed too big when we brought him home. We quickly bought some cheap ones from walmart, and thats what we've been using all this time. Idk if they are slow flow nipples or not. I'll check though, and get some Dr brown and see if that helps him.  He hardly ever spits up so I didnt think I was feeding him too much? He does have a lot of gas it seems, though he doesnt have issues with it getting trapped. He toots a lot, haha!
  • Options
    Anybody try the Cacoonababy? It's supposed to help with gastric reflux and is optimal for quality newborn sleep as it mimics the shape of the womb. LO really needs to sleep longer and better. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So I know I am a worry wart- and if it's normal I don't want to jinx anything but my LO has been pretty fussy the last couple of days... Not sleeping unless she is being held and waking every 1.5-2.5 hours at night for a feed. Well last night she slept 5 straight hours ( she did cluster feed all day yesterday) and this morning I have tried to nurse her twice but she has just fallen asleep at the boob. I am worried that she is too sleepy now. Is that even a thing? I just wish I could go with the flow and not worry about every little thing/and when habits change.
  • Options
    So I know I am a worry wart- and if it's normal I don't want to jinx anything but my LO has been pretty fussy the last couple of days... Not sleeping unless she is being held and waking every 1.5-2.5 hours at night for a feed. Well last night she slept 5 straight hours ( she did cluster feed all day yesterday) and this morning I have tried to nurse her twice but she has just fallen asleep at the boob. I am worried that she is too sleepy now. Is that even a thing? I just wish I could go with the flow and not worry about every little thing/and when habits change.
    My LO changes things up on me day to day. I don't think "normal" is a thing at this point. I'm a worrier too. But try to do my best to remember that worrying changes nothing. 

If it helps, my LO had a super wakeful day on Monday, barely slept and ate a lot. But then yesterday was the opposite.... she slept almost the whole day and only woke to eat about every 3.5 hours.
  • Options
    My LO changes things up on me day to day. I don't think "normal" is a thing at this point. I'm a worrier too. But try to do my best to remember that worrying changes nothing. 

If it helps, my LO had a super wakeful day on Monday, barely slept and ate a lot. But then yesterday was the opposite.... she slept almost the whole day and only woke to eat about every 3.5 hours.
    That does help. I agree that normal can't really be a thing yet, but I worry anyway! Lol.
  • Options
    My LO's sleep patterns are completely unpredictable. Some days he's up every 1 1/2-2 hours some days he'll sleep 3-4 hours. Yesterday he only slept 14 hours and was wide awake with gas pains and then when he felt better he was just overtired and stayed awake forever. He was up every 1 1/2 hours last night until 3:30AM when he slept for 3 hours the woke up, feed, change then back down for another 3 hours.

I think babies are just made to test the limits of exhaustion for mommies.
  • Options
    ^^^My LO is doing the same thing, the last few days or so he fusses if I put him down.  Unless he is asleep already, but then he wakes up not long after I lay him down. He will sleep for a few hours in my arms though. At night he is waking up every 2.5 hours, andit takes about 30-45 minutes to change his diaper, feed him then put him back in his bassinet. He then fidgets and squirms for what seems like forever. Im exhausted and cant get anything done during the day. I triedwearing him in my ktan, but he woke up crying. Not sure why. I hope this phase passes soon, I cant even take a nap when he naps now, since he cries when I put him down. 
  • Options
    My LO all of a sudden is super congested. I'm sucking snot out of his nose so he can breathe easier. I know a pediatrician won't do anything for him but I feel like because he's only 6 weeks, I should make an appt regardless. Am I being overly paranoid?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My LO all of a sudden is super congested. I'm sucking snot out of his nose so he can breathe easier. I know a pediatrician won't do anything for him but I feel like because he's only 6 weeks, I should make an appt regardless. Am I being overly paranoid?
    I would make an appointment if he has a fever. If not, I would try a humidifier and elevating LO's head

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Has he been around anything new that he may be allergic to? A new visitor with a perfumed lotion, a room with scented spray? If so sometimes just a bath can really help the congestion. 
  • Options
    Has he been around anything new that he may be allergic to? A new visitor with a perfumed lotion, a room with scented spray? If so sometimes just a bath can really help the congestion. 

-------

The only difference was we started testing out bottle feeding yesterday ( just once) He threw up a good amount last night. We gave him 2 today. I'm worried that he might be aspirating, he's wheezy too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers