April 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• Options
    jdey22jdey22 member
    edited April 2016
    My Lo is 19 days old and BF. She eats like a champ but all of a sudden she is spitting up like crazy. It sounds like she has milk flem in her throat when she is sleeping. It came on out of no where. I am a FTM any suggestions to why or what to do to help?
  • Options
    jdey22 said:
    My Lo is 19 days old and BF. She eats like a champ but all of a sudden she is spitting up like crazy. It sounds like she has milk flem in her throat when she is sleeping. It came on out of no where. I am a FTM any suggestions to why or what to do to help?
    Is she burping well? Did you eat a lot of diary or spicy foods in the last day or two?

Try to keep her at an incline for 10-20 minutes after each feed. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    She is burping well and no change in diet. I will try to keep her inclined. Thanks hopefully it will help
  • Options
    jdey22 said:
    Is she burping well? Did you eat a lot of diary or spicy foods in the last day or two?

Try to keep her at an incline for 10-20 minutes after each feed. 
    She is burping well and no change in diet. I will try the incline. Hopefully that helps 
  • Options
    @jdey22 our baby makes the same noise and has been since she was about 10 days old (now 3 weeks). The pediatrician isn't concerned with it, but it drives us crazy. I think it's from reflux, and I'm going to ask about medication at her appointment his week. She only does it at night for the most part, and it keeps us up. We elevate her head of bed and swaddle her very tight which seems to help slightly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    rebelonerebelone member
    edited April 2016
    Silly question, but Grayson hardly ever faces to the right, his head is almost always turned to the left. He can turn his head fine, I think maybe he prefers one side over another? Anyone else's baby do that?

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Hoooooow do you get a freakin' newborn to go to sleep on their own? 10 days in and I can't nurse her to sleep all the time, especially with a toddler! This is absolute nonsense! And this is coming from a mom who has yet to be left with both of them alone! I don't know what to dooooo.

At 10 days old they still don't know the world. The only comfort they have is the smell of mom. It's the only thing familiar to them. I have 2 other LO and now a 3 week old. I understand it's hard with a toddler but try to keep your head up. It will get better. It takes time to adjust. Good luck
  • Options
    MrsZko said:
    So, Jack is 10 days old today and sleeps all day despite attempts to stimulate him or keep him awake. Last night he woke up EVERY HOUR.
    I'm desperate for sleeping advice. I know you can't really "sleep train" a newborn but I can't keep getting up every hour at night and still maintain my sanity during the day.....

In fact, out of exhaustion this morning I dropped 4 oz of freshly pumped breastmilk on myself and the bed. I DID cry over spilled milk.

HELP!!!!!
    Will he nurse if he's drowsy, during attempts at waking him during the day I mean? If you strip him to his diaper and keep tickling his feet or neck if he slows down? That way he's eating during the day and may actually sleep and do longer stretches at night? Every hour is not sustainable for you! Also, is his bed at night different than where he sleeps during the day? Some babies don't like their bassinets because they are flat on their back but sleep in a swing all day or ...MrsZko said:

MrsZko,
    He has no trouble nursing or taking a bottle. 
    I typically keep him in just a diaper during the day if we're just hanging at home.  
    During the day he's mostly in the bedroom or living room, but when it's nighttime/bedtime he's in his room in his crib. 
  • Options
    So, Jack is 10 days old today and sleeps all day despite attempts to stimulate him or keep him awake. Last night he woke up EVERY HOUR.
    I'm desperate for sleeping advice. I know you can't really "sleep train" a newborn but I can't keep getting up every hour at night and still maintain my sanity during the day.....

In fact, out of exhaustion this morning I dropped 4 oz of freshly pumped breastmilk on myself and the bed. I DID cry over spilled milk.

HELP!!!!!
    Ugh I'm so sorry. They can absolutely be stubborn little buggers when they want to sleep! Don't give up! I wake my LO every 2 hours to eat and its the only way I've been able to get decent stretches of sleep at nighttime (usually he sleeps a minimum of 4 hours for his "long stretch", but averages about 5 or 6 hours, and then another 2-3 hours after that before starting our day). Changing his diaper and/or taking off his clothes usually wakes him right the eff up haha, but you can try singing, tickling him, giving him raspberries, a bath, just get him irritated! Getting him on a consistent feeding schedule (even if he doesn't want to) will definitely help. Good luck!! 
    Thank you! 
    LO can go 4 hrs during the day between feedings (whether I like it or not) but when night hits he's up constantly. 

So you think forcing him to wake up to feed more frequently during the day will exhaust him at night and cause him to sleep long stretches, rather than get him in the habit of waking more frequently at night? 
  • Options
    mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    edited April 2016

HELP!!!!!
    Ugh I'm so sorry. They can absolutely be stubborn little buggers when they want to sleep! Don't give up! I wake my LO every 2 hours to eat and its the only way I've been able to get decent stretches of sleep at nighttime (usually he sleeps a minimum of 4 hours for his "long stretch", but averages about 5 or 6 hours, and then another 2-3 hours after that before starting our day). Changing his diaper and/or taking off his clothes usually wakes him right the eff up haha, but you can try singing, tickling him, giving him raspberries, a bath, just get him irritated! Getting him on a consistent feeding schedule (even if he doesn't want to) will definitely help. Good luck!! 
    Thank you! 
    LO can go 4 hrs during the day between feedings (whether I like it or not) but when night hits he's up constantly. 

So you think forcing him to wake up to feed more frequently during the day will exhaust him at night and cause him to sleep long stretches, rather than get him in the habit of waking more frequently at night? 
    Precisely. During the day my LO could definitely sleep much longer if I let him! By keeping him awake more during the day, you're more likely to have him full and tired at night before bed. At bedtime I'll feed him one more time too for some insurance, regardless of how long ago I just fed him (e.g. if our last feed ended at 9, at 9:30 I'll have him eat again). For this last feed I turn off all the lights except for our nightlight, turn on the white noise machine, and keep the TV in our room at a very low volume. I also make sure that he is READY for bed before switching to the last side (diaper is changed, pjs are on, etc) so there is less chance of him waking up before putting him down. During the day I make sure our lights are all on, shades open, etc to encourage this differentiation between night and day. Its such a delicate dance lol.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My LO is 3.5 weeks old and we have started implementing the "happiest baby guide to great sleep" by dr. Harvey karp, It's not really a sleep training program for infants, but more like setting up sleep cues that will help them now and in the future. It also really emphasizes letting your little one eat every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day so they are full by night time and have longer stretches of sleep at night. It has already made a huge difference for me as she is actually going back to sleep after her night time feeds. I was finding she could sleep 3-4 hours straight in the afternoon but in the middle of the night it was terrible getting her to go back to sleep. I was really annoyed when my MIL bought it for me, but it's been really helpful so far in understanding infant sleep and totally worth looking into for us sleep deprived mamas! I know you can look up information on it online for free as well!
  • Options
    ^^^anyone else have experience with that? 
  • Options
    Autumn had her two week appointment today.  She's the first kid not to make it back to her birth weight by two weeks.  In fact, she's only gained 4 oz in the last 12 days.  She's eating well, at least I think she is.  She's a very happy baby, nurses well enough, and definitely poops enough.  Her Dr isn't worried yet, but does want her weight checked in 2 weeks.  She's also still jaundiced, another first.  I'm wondering if I should do one bottle a day to see if that helps the jaundice any, and the weight.  She could just be tiny like my last, though.  I don't know.  
  • Options
    @rebelone yes my LO does this same thing, except he prefers to turn his head to the right. He is starting to get a flat spot on the right back side of his head, so I've been diligent about holding him more ( upright or in my lap while supporting his head, so he is not on his back all the time) and switching sides while feeding him, putting him down in his bassinet on opposite ends, and doing more tummy time, and laying him on a blanket on his back while putting a musical toy to his left to encourage him to turn his head to the left. I'm going to bring this up with his pediatrician next week. He turns his head to the left, so I don't think it is a problem with his neck muscles, just I think he prefers the right side.
  • Options
    Autumn had her two week appointment today.  She's the first kid not to make it back to her birth weight by two weeks.  In fact, she's only gained 4 oz in the last 12 days.  She's eating well, at least I think she is.  She's a very happy baby, nurses well enough, and definitely poops enough.  Her Dr isn't worried yet, but does want her weight checked in 2 weeks.  She's also still jaundiced, another first.  I'm wondering if I should do one bottle a day to see if that helps the jaundice any, and the weight.  She could just be tiny like my last, though.  I don't know.  
    We were in the same situation. I guess LO wasn't getting enough so now we've started feeding her every 2 hrs during day and 3 at night. I try to BF when I can, but I don't make enough for her so we feed her what I pump and if its not 2oz then we supplement with bottle. We were cup feeding before but she seems to eat more with the bottle. Good luck mama!
  • Options
    LO had jaundice issues but his billirubin levels were not high enough to need light therapy. Pedi told me that lowering billirubin levels was concurrent with weight gain and that I should breastfeed every 2.5 hours, no ifs ands or buts. That also meant waking LO to feed if he sleeps for longer stretches. I also wondered if I should supplement because maybe he's not getting enough milk from my breasts. She told me that as long as he has enough wet and poopy diapers (5+), there is nothing wrong with my supply and introducing formula might interfere with said supply. LO's weight was checked  after a week of this feeding schedule and he gained 10 oz. This is what worked for us. Maybe it worked too well cause now LO doesn't sleep for longer than 2.5 hours. :anguished: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redselig said:
    LO had jaundice issues but his billirubin levels were not high enough to need light therapy. Pedi told me that lowering billirubin levels was concurrent with weight gain and that I should breastfeed every 2.5 hours, no ifs ands or buts. That also meant waking LO to feed if he sleeps for longer stretches. I also wondered if I should supplement because maybe he's not getting enough milk from my breasts. She told me that as long as he has enough wet and poopy diapers (5+), there is nothing wrong with my supply and introducing formula might interfere with said supply. LO's weight was checked  after a week of this feeding schedule and he gained 10 oz. This is what worked for us. Maybe it worked too well cause now LO doesn't sleep for longer than 2.5 hours. :anguished: 
    Yeah seems he's getting enough! Our LO had enough wet and dirty diapers, but still wasn't gaining weight so we've unfortunately had to supplement. I pump every timr as well, but there's just not enough there for her :(.

On a side note, we just fed her 3.5oz worth and she spit some up and kept asking for more. Now I'm currently sat with her at the boob and she finally fell asleep, but I don't wanna move her in case she wakes up...bahhh dilemma!
  • Options
    LOs poopy diapers are starting to change. They are still that wonderful yellow but they are starting to be come very watery. We get the occasional good mushy poop but recently he's been sharting and it's pretty liquidy. Is this normal? He's getting a good count of poopy and wet diapers. I'm wondering if it's because of the bottle?
  • Options
    My LO won't sleep unless she's being held. This wasn't the case until a few days ago. It's like this during the day and at night. She'll fall asleep no problem in mine or DH's arms but the minute we put her down she wakes up and starts crying I don't know what to do. Nothing is getting done around the house and no one is getting any sleep. I am at a loss.
  • Options
    @rebelone I'm a lurker from July, but wanted to throw my experience in. Look up infant torticollis and see if it sounds like your LO. If it sounds familiar, talk to your per about getting a PT eval. Talking to other parents, not all less take it too seriously, but it can cause problems if not corrected, so you may want to be pushy. MY DD preferred looking to one side and when she was finally holding her head up on her own, we realized she was tilting it over the same shoulder all the time. She is still in PT for it at 19 months, but she's a particularly stubborn case. The sooner you do something about it, the better. If you can at night and naps, try to always turn the head to the least preferred side since it will likely wind up the other way after a while and babies with this condition or habit often get flat spots that require helmets. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    LOs poopy diapers are starting to change. They are still that wonderful yellow but they are starting to be come very watery. We get the occasional good mushy poop but recently he's been sharting and it's pretty liquidy. Is this normal? He's getting a good count of poopy and wet diapers. I'm wondering if it's because of the bottle?
    Pretty normal, I assume. My guy sharts more often than he legitimately poops. 
  • Options
    My LO won't sleep unless she's being held. This wasn't the case until a few days ago. It's like this during the day and at night. She'll fall asleep no problem in mine or DH's arms but the minute we put her down she wakes up and starts crying I don't know what to do. Nothing is getting done around the house and no one is getting any sleep. I am at a loss.
    My DS is like that some days but we are more stubborn at night. He seems to do best alone if swaddled tightly.
  • Options
    My DD1 was like that. I remember it being so frustrating. My husband and I would take turns with her sleeping on our chest. That lasted a few weeks until we finally discovered she would sleep in her car seat or the swing. She eventually adjusted and would sleep in her crib, but it took time. 

I used a rock n play for DD2 and so far with this LO. It was/is a lifesaver in our house! None of mine have been able to sleep laying flat from the get go.

I hope you get some rest soon.
  • Options
    Is anyone else's LO a really noisy eater? When I'm breastfeeding Everly she doesn't just swallow, she gulps. And every breath is something between a sigh and a grunt. I wonder if this is why I have to stop and burp her several times during a feeding to keep her from throwing all the milk up...
  • Options
    Is anyone else's LO a really noisy eater? When I'm breastfeeding Everly she doesn't just swallow, she gulps. And every breath is something between a sigh and a grunt. I wonder if this is why I have to stop and burp her several times during a feeding to keep her from throwing all the milk up...
    Yes. I asked about this earlier in the thread. My LO does this but it almost sounds like a gasp to me. Mine burps like crazy too!
  • Options
    Has anyone had a baby diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis? LO hasn't been able to keep down much the past two days and is very fussy. He is constantly asking for more but has various spit ups during the day and night (not yet projectile). So far he pees and poops as usual. We have a doc appointment next Tuesday but will have to go to ER if it worsens or if his diaper trends change for the worse. I've been having to bottle feed a few days as my nipples heal and slowly introducing the boob. I'm hoping it's just reflux due to the bottle- any solution for that? Doc said to keep LO elevated for 15 mins after each feeding and to adjust his bed with an incline so he's not laying flat. I hope it helps!
  • Options
    Has anyone had a baby diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis? LO hasn't been able to keep down much the past two days and is very fussy. He is constantly asking for more but has various spit ups during the day and night (not yet projectile). So far he pees and poops as usual. We have a doc appointment next Tuesday but will have to go to ER if it worsens or if his diaper trends change for the worse. I've been having to bottle feed a few days as my nipples heal and slowly introducing the boob. I'm hoping it's just reflux due to the bottle- any solution for that? Doc said to keep LO elevated for 15 mins after each feeding and to adjust his bed with an incline so he's not laying flat. I hope it helps!
    My LO doesn't have pyloric stenosis but I see a lot of littles that do as a pediatric recovery room RN. Constant Projectile vomiting and failure to thrive are what they are looking for. There will be an "olive" size lump per say on their pyloric sphincter. Basically it closes off the opening to the small intestine. It is a simply quick procedure and theis get to eat about 6 hours post-op! Usually done laparoscopically! Good luck mama
  • Options
    My LO doesn't have pyloric stenosis but I see a lot of littles that do as a pediatric recovery room RN. Constant Projectile vomiting and failure to thrive are what they are looking for. There will be an "olive" size lump per say on their pyloric sphincter. Basically it closes off the opening to the small intestine. It is a simply quick procedure and theis get to eat about 6 hours post-op! Usually done laparoscopically! Good luck mama
    Thank you for the info! So far he has regained and exceeded his birth weight but that was before all this started happening. We changed bottles to Dr Brown to see if it's just from that. He seemed more content with that one. Fingers crossed! He's been spitting up a pool while sleeping and all down DHs back (imagine a waterfall) yesterday. 
  • Options
    Andie41Andie41 member
    edited April 2016
    @Pmommy0416  Do you swaddle your LO? I'm a big fan of that. I have also put my LOs feet in the corner of the crib so they don't kick themselves awake. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:
    Gassy baby question 

I'm using mylicon and gripe water for LO due to her having terrible episodes of gas pain.
    its so bad she can't sleep sometimes and just cries and cries ( so do i).
    ive tried bicycle legs ,burping over my shoulder also sitting her on my leg and holding her chin in my hand while patting her back and I rarely can get a good burp/toot  but I know she needs to. 
    Many tips on how else to help her 

she also throws up in the morning ( although she sleeps in her mommaroo with her head elevated at night ) but the pediatrician didn't seem concerned 

Picture is the look of  relief on Adalynn's face once she is able to pass gas 

This was so us! My SIL told us to try cocyntal drops. They honestly saved our sanity and relieved her gas pain within 5-10 minutes. They are homeopathic so I don't feel guilty giving them to her. I have read tons of reviews and everything swears by them. They are already pre-measured so you just have to give them to your LO. Honestly I would have paid a million dollars for them lol. Showing a picture of them below :) 
  • Options
    rebelonerebelone member
    edited April 2016
    Anyone's baby sleep 4 hours at a time after 2 weeks? I can't remember how long they should sleep in a stretch...I never had a baby that was a good eater / sleeper like this one before. He just turned 2 weeks today, and well, he's 10+ pounds. 

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    @rebelone LO was back to birth weight at 6 days old so I didn't have to wake every 3 hours then. Most nights our first stretch is 4-4.5 hours (to bed at 10-10:30), then she is usually every 2-2.5 the rest of the night. She's 2 weeks 2 days. She was up 10ozs from birth at her 2 week check, which is great seeing as they only expect them back at birth weight by then.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    rebelone said:
    Anyone's baby sleep 4 hours at a time after 2 weeks? I can't remember how long they should sleep in a stretch...I never had a baby that was a good eater / sleeper like this one before. He just turned 2 weeks today, and well, he's 10+ pounds. 
    Yes....complete different experience than with my first who was jaundiced so had to eat often, and woke a lot, screaming. This little guy was back at his birth weight quickly and will do a 5-6 hour stretch some nights then every 3-4 hour afterwards. Not every night but my doctor said not to wake him...some babies just sleep better. I'm definitely not complaining but I was nervous at first especially since it was so different with DS1!
  • Options
    Look up oversupply or forceful letdown.... usually that's the issue....
    Don't give up mama
  • Options
    rebelone said:
    The first two days at the hospital, LO slept for four or five hours stretches. Then we had jaundice issues, so I had to wake him up every 2 1/2 hours to eat. He's one month old now and he doesn't sleep for longer than three hours, much to my chagrin. :confounded: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes ! I bought a wipe warmer which seems to hell. Babies don't like being cold
  • Options
    rebelone said:
    My #3 was waking just once at night when she was a month old. That all changed once she hit the 4mo sleep regression. It also caused my period to come back sooner than the first two.
  • Options
    Yup had to get one since LO loves to pee with the cold. We have to cover him just in case there is a cool breeze.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the Windi? T had been incredibly fussy the last 2 days. He's just inconsolable. He burps, but he tenses his body up so much that I think there's gas lower.
  • Options
    I have one too and I agree, baby likes it better.