April 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• Options
    How often are you bathing your little ones?
    He goes in the water everyday for soothing but we only give a proper bath (with soap) 3 times a week.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like we are bad..we only just started doing like twice a week xD
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like we are bad..we only just started doing like twice a week xD
    Don't feel bad. My LO only gets 2-3 per week. His skin is SUPER dry and it gets so much worse after a bath. I wipe him down/sponge bath daily to get the spit up out of his little folds and such but other than that he doesn't get fully bathed very often. It doesn't help that he HATES being bathed.
  • Options
    We do baths 2 times a week, maybe 3. They don't get too dirty at this age (unless maybe they spit up a lot or live where it's very hot). DS's hair will look a little oily after a few days though. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    How often are you bathing your little ones?
    I've been slowly increasing it. His first week home was only once, now he's a month old and we are at 3 times a week. On the other days, or weeks that we just do 2x a week, I'll take a warm washcloth and clean his hands and neck area where milk falls. He loves bathtime but even in the most lukewarm water, his skin gets very dry. 
  • Options
    Yikes! I feel like a bad mom. I've been doing it once a week. He HATES it! So it's really hard to do it any longer or more. I'm aiming for twice next week.
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    korpatch said:
    Yikes! I feel like a bad mom. I've been doing it once a week. He HATES it! So it's really hard to do it any longer or more. I'm aiming for twice next week.
    I was doing it once a week as well don't feel bad. Gonna start increasing it since I am witnessing an entirely new baby sleeping without a struggle. He didn't seem to mind the shower now that his umbilical cord has healed.
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    We have never given him a bath, but I take him in the shower 2-3x/week. His skin is not at all dry, tho. He's actually an oily little thing. 
  • Options
    We haven't given a bath yet, she still has her cord. I did wash her hair the other day and it totally changed color, lol. She was a little oily but you couldn't tell. Her hair is way blonder than we thought!
  • Options
    I only bathe DD twice a week and it seems to be working out just fine
  • Options
    We are planning on moving LO to her crib next week when she is 6 weeks.  I wanted to keep her in our room longer, but she is the noisiest sleeper from about 2 am until morning and my poor husband is a light sleeper. I have started having her take at least one nap a day in her crib. She seems to like the crib during the day, but I wonder if she will sleep as long at night. Currently we get one 4-5 hour chunk and then every 3 hours. I feel anxious about not hearing her through the monitor too. Has anyone else transitioned to the crib yet? Any tips? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My babies and I sleep better/longer once we put them in their own rooms. I promise you will hear them when they wake up. You have mommy radar now and it will not fail you. I still wake up to DS1 rolling over across the hall with his door shut.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kdrn913kdrn913 member
    We put our LO in her crib at 3 weeks because she is so noisy, cinstantly grunting, etc. she will sleep 4-5 hour stretches! Don't worry about hearing them! I'm pretty sure I would hear her even without the monitor! 
  • Options
    He's going in his crib at 6 weeks. He's out grown the bassinet! And he's sleeping for two huge chucks... So... It's time. I'll miss my night time symphony. Between him and his dad, it's a wonder I got any sleep!
  • Options
    My LO is still waking every 2 hours at 5 weeks so I'm jealous of all of u who get a few hours of sleep at a time .
    id LOVE to sleep for 3 hours at a time 
  • Options
    mumidimumidi member
    tara4910 said:
    We are planning on moving LO to her crib next week when she is 6 weeks.  I wanted to keep her in our room longer, but she is the noisiest sleeper from about 2 am until morning and my poor husband is a light sleeper. I have started having her take at least one nap a day in her crib. She seems to like the crib during the day, but I wonder if she will sleep as long at night. Currently we get one 4-5 hour chunk and then every 3 hours. I feel anxious about not hearing her through the monitor too. Has anyone else transitioned to the crib yet? Any tips? 
    We've been in the crib for a week.  It's going great.  We're all sleeping better DS included.  We got a 5 hour stretch last night and it was glorious. 
  • Options
    Ok... So anyone else's baby able to stand while holding onto your fingers? 
  • Options
    korpatch said:
    Mine! But I read that's normal and it will be a while before it means anything as far as what they're able to do on their own, they're still too floppy. 
  • Options
    I just wasn't expecting it?
  • Options
    tara4910 said:
    I'm staying at my parents for the weekend and forgot the monitor. I heard DD though two doors and down a long hallway and set of stairs. I had the radio on and the sink was running, so I'm going to say mommy radar is totally real. 
    Which is why I think monitors are useless! Mommy radar rules. ;)
  • Options
    We don't use a monitor. We didn't with DD unless we were outside on the deck.
  • Options
    korpatch said:
    Haven't tried to be honest, but now I'm intrigued!
  • Options
    We don't have a monitor and I still sometimes sleep through LO crying right next to my bed even after a month. Needless to say, we won't be moving him across the house to his crib just yet...
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 I am a deep sleeper too, especially when I'm exhausted. I usually don't wake up until she gets really loud or my husband wakes me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tara4910 said:
    @ladylolly89 I am a deep sleeper too, especially when I'm exhausted. I usually don't wake up until she gets really loud or my husband wakes me. 
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one! Hopefully it is just a matter of time. I was a teenager when my baby sister was born, and I would wake when her breathing changed (we shared a room)! I just assumed I'd automatically do the same with my own baby.  
  • Options
    K&ElizabethK&Elizabeth member
    edited May 2016
    The only thing that's helping T's colic is letting him sleep and chew my boob. While he sleep-eats he goes super slow so it's probably easier on his poor tummy. I feel so bad for him. If he's awake, this is the face he's making.... I feel horrible that I can't help him. 

• Options
    Anyone's LO sleep through the night? For the first 5 weeks we had to wake her to feed every 2-3 hrs at night bc she wasn't gaining enough weight. Now for a little over a week we have just been letting her wake us over night and last night she actually slept 8.5 hours. Can't believe it! 

I still woke up every 4 to pump, but it was nice not having to be up for a long stretch.
  • Options
    Anyone's LO sleep through the night? For the first 5 weeks we had to wake her to feed every 2-3 hrs at night bc she wasn't gaining enough weight. Now for a little over a week we have just been letting her wake us over night and last night she actually slept 8.5 hours. Can't believe it! 

I still woke up every 4 to pump, but it was nice not having to be up for a long stretch.
    I hate you.

No but seriously my LO is 7 weeks and is up every 2 hours. We had one week where he slept 3-4 hour stretches (and 6 hours one night) but since then back to every 2 hours. UGHHH.
  • Options

I feel like that's so far away I can't even imagine it. My son is 5 weeks, the longest he's ever slept has been 4 hours in one stretch, and that's been just a small handful of times. More often than not, he wakes up every 3 hours like clockwork (day or night). We had a growth spurt recently when he gained a pound in a week, and was up every 1.5 hours. Hated every second of that!
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    LO did 3-4 during the first two weeks. Now almost 5 weeks and he has decided to stick to every 2 hrs  :'(
  • Options

Wow, 8.5 hours?! So out of reach for my LO. I would say the average is every 2.5-3 hours. I'm getting used to it now and at least he has no more gas issues. That was the pits. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsZkoMrsZko member
    Not consistently sttn but he has given us some 7-8 hour stretches and one 9 hour stretch. He'll usually start to wake up with gas a few hours after going down but a soother usually does the trick and he doesn't fully wake til a few more hours. It's an entirely different experience than with my first who was up every 2 hours. I didn't even believe this could actually happen so I'm not complaining!
  • Options
    Any tips for baby acne other than "put breast milk on it" or "leave it alone"? I know I'm not supposed to put adult acne products on it, but maybe something I could eat to pass through my system to his? A natural remedy like coconut oil?

I stopped using baby oil and baby lotion on his scalp for a few days, which I was using for his cradle cap, to give his face a rest from being near so much grease. Also noticed his Shea shampoo has Argan oil, and gave that a rest too. We're on oil hiatus until he clears up a bit. 

I know it's probably my hormones, and I know it's not bothering him at all, but I feel bad seeing my baby all covered in pimples on his sweet little cheeks.
  • Options
    8 hrs?! I don't think I remember what that feels like! We've gotten 1 4.5 hour stretch, but he's up every 2.5-3 hours at night.  I actually woke up in a panic after his 1 long stretch haha. My first sttn around 6-7 weeks. She's still a rockstar sleeper- 10 hours at night and a 2 HR nap at 3.5 years old. 
  • Options
    BeatboxBabyBeatboxBaby member
    edited May 2016
    Well this has only been one time..usually she is up often xD we will see how tonight goes though!

Edit: Yeah I knew it was too good to happen again haha
  • Options
    kdrn913kdrn913 member
    If your LO has cradle cap that's prob what is on his face too. That's what our pediatrician told us our LOs was, she doesn't really have anything on her head either. I've heard you can use cortisone cream on it but our pediatrician did tell us to leave it alone and keep it clean. It was bothering me a lot, I think after like 2 weeks it might be finally going away
  • Options
    We get 8 hour stretches that start a 2-3 hours before we go to bed. It is not consistent though. 

We we should start going to bed when the baby does. 
  • Options
    Any tips for baby acne other than "put breast milk on it" or "leave it alone"? I know I'm not supposed to put adult acne products on it, but maybe something I could eat to pass through my system to his? A natural remedy like coconut oil?

I stopped using baby oil and baby lotion on his scalp for a few days, which I was using for his cradle cap, to give his face a rest from being near so much grease. Also noticed his Shea shampoo has Argan oil, and gave that a rest too. We're on oil hiatus until he clears up a bit. 

I know it's probably my hormones, and I know it's not bothering him at all, but I feel bad seeing my baby all covered in pimples on his sweet little cheeks.
    Nest advice is to keep it clean and leave it alone. It's not true acne so nothing is causing it and nothing will fix it.... it just kinda has to run its course :)
  • Options
    MamaRoni said:

Nest advice is to keep it clean and leave it alone. It's not true acne so nothing is causing it and nothing will fix it.... it just kinda has to run its course :)
    Ditto. It will go away, just leave it be :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers