September 2016 Moms

May Randoms Thread

Re: May Randoms Thread

• @BernieRae LOL!  In my birthing class for #1, one of the pregnant girls brought her mother along for 1 week. The mother asked SO many questions, the girl looked embarrassed.  The mother asked the nurses when the baby's ears would be pierced... the nurses didn't know how to answer but said that it would be their decision in the daughter's life as to when to pierce and she was SHOCKED they wouldn't perform that in the hospital if they asked...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Where I live, it's been strangely cold, and now all this talk about football has my mind believing it's fall. Stop doing this to me.
  • @AnnaS930 @camichael84 added costs for feminine hygiene products are minimal when using a cup or mama cloth. Yes, I'm that crunchy.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ThscaryThscary member
    edited May 2016
    the MFM office just called to schedule my level 2 ultrasound. It's on Tuesday. Keep telling myself there is probably nothing to worry about but that's so much easier said than done. Sorry for beating a dead horse and mentioning this in three threads :neutral: 

ETA I put on a clean gray shirt right before they called and now I have huge pit stains. I hate nerves
  • @thscary I'm sure it's weighing on your mind. I hope the next 5 days go by fast for you, and that all is well. (I do think it is very likely nothing to worry about, but I also know how hard it is to not worry in a situation like that.)

• @AnnaS930 Was the ear piercing thing possibly cultural to the mom or was it totally out of nowhere? 

•  added costs for feminine hygiene products are minimal when using a cup or mama cloth. Yes, I'm that crunchy.
    The saved money sounds nice, but I am not that crunchy. (Truthfully, any crunchy choices I've made have been at my husband's influence.)

•  added costs for feminine hygiene products are minimal when using a cup or mama cloth. Yes, I'm that crunchy.
    The saved money sounds nice, but I am not that crunchy. (Truthfully, any crunchy choices I've made have been at my husband's influence.)

Definitely not for everyone.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PSUBecky23 I have tried and tried and tried with the Diva Cup and I can't get the damn thing in right where it doesn't leak. I was almost in tears one time from frustration because I wanted it to work so bad. Is there another brand that might be easier? I hate tampons and definitely not into pads. I want the cup to work!
  • Joining in after a few days. 
    Mum a steelers fan even though I actually hate football.  So cal girl so it's soda all the way. 
    Thanks for bringing up the cost for the circumcision. Im still not 100% sold on it but husband is fairly set on "baby should look like me". I'll have to ask my insurance if it's covered or how much it would be. As far as the ears pierced, im not sure where your friend is from but at least in Mexico, baby girls leave the hospital with pierced ears so it is culturally the norm. 

We we have a crib!!! We acquired it second hand from a friend for $75 including the mattress!! It's pretty but it's not my ideal choice (plus there are some teeth marks and there were some Elsa stickers on it). We are leaving our choice on the registry and if someone buys it for us then we will find a new home for this one. Today is my Monday and I have to get ready for work. Boo...
  • I use a tampon and a liner/pad every day of my period. I am the opposite of crunchy and making up for those who are crunchy.  The cup is waaaaay not for me.

The ear piercing was definitely not cultural.. just oblivious.  I can't wait to hear about people's birthing classes.. we had some fantastic entertainment by way of questions in ours that I will share
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PSUBecky23 I have tried and tried and tried with the Diva Cup and I can't get the damn thing in right where it doesn't leak. I was almost in tears one time from frustration because I wanted it to work so bad. Is there another brand that might be easier? I hate tampons and definitely not into pads. I want the cup to work!

I admit to only using mama cloth and not a cup. Haven't been able to make that jump yet because I was concerned it wouldn't work for me, like you're saying. I've seen some quizzes floating around to help you determine what cup is best for you, because there are so many types. Maybe try this one and see if it helps to match you up to a better one: https://putacupinit.com/quiz/

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AnnaS930 said:
    I use a tampon and a liner/pad every day of my period. I am the opposite of crunchy and making up for those who are crunchy.  The cup is waaaaay not for me.

Same. I prefer a tampon, but don't trust it by itself. 

• @AnnaS930 We haven't set up the crib yet because we have made no headway on clearing the guestroom, but when I was laying McKenna down last night, it occurred to me that we would have two cribs in the house soon. It was a freak out moment, an exciting freak out moment, but a freak out moment none the less.

• @AnnaS930 We haven't set up the crib yet because we have made no headway on clearing the guestroom, but when I was laying McKenna down last night, it occurred to me that we would have two cribs in the house soon. It was a freak out moment, an exciting freak out moment, but a freak out moment none the less.
    We've got the guestroom-> nursery project started. Painted, new cover for the futon we're keeping in there. The double bed is still in there, but we bought a huge area rug for the basement yesterday which is where we're moving the guest bed to.. so hopefully my husband will move the bed today or tomorrow. Long story short, we still have a good amount of clearing to do, but the crib is assembled none the less! 

The dresser is still in the box in the middle of our entryway... the box weighs 125lbs or something, so we'll have to open it and carry each piece upstairs individually.. BLAH! Hoping my husband will empty out the room today so we can move things in!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Things that make you say Grrrr.....when your doctor's office calls 20 minutes before your appointment to say they have to reschedule and there's no way that they can fit you in today. Ya'll are throwing my day off!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Speaking of birthing classes...

When I was pregnant with DD, DH and I went to a four week birthing class offered by our hospital.  There was one couple that showed up late to the first week, after which the nurse/instructor made mention to the entire group how vital it was that we were on time each week because there was so much content to cover in such a short amount of time.  (The nurse was super friendly about it, not directing her comments towards this couple in a mean way or anything...just like an FYI to the group.)

Fast forward to the next week and this same couple was late again.  In fact, they were late every single week.  Which, by itself, isn't horrible other than the fact that it's a little disrespectful and somewhat disruptive when the rest of the group is in the middle of something and you finally waltz in.  But, on top of the tardiness, this couple (especially the guy) asked a TON of questions...  And not questions that everyone else was thinking, so it was overall a benefit to the group - he had CRAZY questions!  I kid you not, we spent a good half hour one night talking about mucous plugs.  When will it come out?  How much will there be?  What color?  Will it hurt?  What does it mean?  Do you have any pictures as examples?  Seriously, dude, why the fascination with mucous plugs!!??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @JennM205 I start my Hypnobirthing class tonight and I was originally bummed there will only be one other couple in our class. After hearing from you, it made me think of all of the extra content we will get through because we will, hopefully, avoid all those extra insignificant questions with only one other couple there.
  • AnnaS930 said:
    @AnnaS930 We haven't set up the crib yet because we have made no headway on clearing the guestroom, but when I was laying McKenna down last night, it occurred to me that we would have two cribs in the house soon. It was a freak out moment, an exciting freak out moment, but a freak out moment none the less.

The dresser is still in the box in the middle of our entryway... the box weighs 125lbs or something, so we'll have to open it and carry each piece upstairs individually.. BLAH! Hoping my husband will empty out the room today so we can move things in!
    That sucks. I had to do that one time in college when I bought an entertainment center and lived in a second floor apartment. But think of all the exercise you'll get climbing the stairs! (Trying to see a bright side.)

We have narrowed down our paint choices to two different colors, and that's as far as we've gotten on our room conversion. We have to clean the garage so we can add storage in there before we can clean the guestroom. These actually sound like good Memorial Day weekend projects. I feel like that is when we started the process for McKenna's nursery as well.

• camichael84camichael84 member
    edited May 2016
    @UnwritteN12 What!? I'd be pissed! DH works his schedule around my appointments. My MIL often makes an hour and a half trip to watch DD so I don't have to take her with me. And to just cancel on you with a 20 minutes notice!?

• tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited May 2016
    We still have a month before we start our class but I'm now looking forward to hearing people's questions! Will make for great dinner conversation with DH lol. I'm too mean. Although, I will say, I can understand the asking about what the mucous plug looks like and when it comes out, just not talking about it for 20 minutes or asking to see pics.

RE: I can understand that ear piercing in the hospital is the norm in many, many countries although it is not here. But it does throw me off if the person was not speaking from a different cultural POV. I live in a small town in the NW that is probably the least diverse place for hundreds of miles and my niece's pediatrician pierces ears at her office after three months, which I found strange but convenient for parents that choose to do so.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @camichael84 - Yeah, I wasn't thrilled. I was really looking forward to it today. On the plus side I was able to schedule for tomorrow, but still. I guess it worked out because, by the time that DH got home from work this morning, he had about 5 minutes to get ready before we had to leave. And five minutes is no easy feat for a diesel mechanic who smells like grease and oil and, in addition, has it all over him. 

• camichael84camichael84 member
    edited May 2016
    @JennM205 That is actually hilarious. We had a pretty big group in our birthing class. Only two things that were out of the ordinary happened. One was a dad asking if during the breastfeeding class if there would be pictures of breasts. They were a very religious couple, with him working in the church, but still. The instructor told him, yes, but not in any sexual context. The second was a very anti-Epi mom grilling the anesthesiologist about EVERYTHING during epidural section. Like, she turned everything that was being said into a debate. It was very awkward. 

• @UnwritteN12 Well, I'm glad that it worked out for you in the end. :smiley: 

• @camichael84 debating the anesthesiologist would've caught major eye-rolling from me. I'm so mean that I would wait until she was done and he was ready to go to thank him for answering our questions so well and that I'd be looking forward to seeing him again as soon as I got admitted. I mean, I get wanting to try birth without an epidural but keep it to yourself and let others talk to the anesthesiologist, that's just an annoying attempt to show everyone else "how wrong" epidurals are. 
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @Thscary and @MrsVoorhees Good luck at your respective appointments!! I hope everything looks great for both of you, no fun to have to wait around for something like that! 
  • @AlwaysAuntNeverMom It got a lot of eye rolls from DH and I. The anesthesiologist ended up telling the mom that they could talk about it after the class. The thing is, we were told well in advance that this particular class would be covering just the Epidural related info. They could have even sat it out if they thought it wouldn't apply to them. It definitely seemed like an attempt to change everyone else in the class's minds.

• had my glucose test this morning... the "flat sprite" was not that bad. towards the end it was kinda gross. but all and all not as disgusting as i thought it would be...results probably next week since its Thursday. wee.
  • All I remember from birthing classes is realizing what I was really in for. Either I was going to have to push these babies out or be cut open. Neither sounded appealing to me, surprise surprise. Somehow I had seemed to put aside the fact that they had to come out! (Naive, I know. But I had the same realization a couple months into this pregnancy too.) And then, before the second class, I found out that I had to have a c-section so half of what they talked about from then on out didn't seem to apply to me anymore. 

We did have one person who constantly seemed to be pushing the rest of the class to agree with her on non-medicated birth. She even went so far as to print out information for everyone on how the different meds can effect mom and baby during and after labor. I wonder if her non-medicated birth worked out for her....

• @UnwritteN12 I got hooked up to my monitor today for the same reason. Who do you hear back from? Your OB or the cardiologist?
    I'm so sorry @diagonalley , I just realized I never responded to this. I'll hear back from my cardiologist. I have an appointment scheduled for the end of June but they said they'll get me in earlier if they find something serious. Hope everything goes well for you!!

• @RedMar - I was thinking about this last night - have you heard anything concerning your student that was hit by the drunk driver?? Hoping everything is going better for him!

• Random of the day/week: my sister has been visiting over the past week (hence why I have been MIA lately) our guest bed is in my daughters room so she has been in our room with us. We tried the pack n play and she usually makes it til about midnight then refuses it and screams. We have just been throwing her in our bed with us at this point for the rest of the night. She is almost 18 months old and has always slept great in her crib and never has any problems going down or getting back to sleep in the night... Please tell me this 12 day span of bad habits won't totally ruin her!? I do not want a kid sleeping in bed with me. I'm sure it will be a few rough nights back in her room again, but I just hope I'm not creating a monster :neutral: would love to hear any experiences!! I'm slightly terrified haha

Pregnancy Ticker

• ThscaryThscary member
    @MrsVoorhees so glad to hear everything was good :)