May 2016 Moms

Newborn Questions

Re: Newborn Questions

• togmamatogmama member
    @kbrands7 it's hard to get him to stay up feeding that long!
  • @kbrands7 it's hard to get him to stay up feeding that long!
    I was concerned about my DS feeding because he is usually done in 6-10 minutes. I talked to my pediatrician and he said I am one of the lucky ones because DS can drain a breast in 4-9 minutes as I'm always empty when he is done, even though extremely full when he starts. Put the emphasis on going until you are empty like PP said
  • Loading the player...
  • AliciaD39 said:
    @kbrands7 it's hard to get him to stay up feeding that long!
    I was concerned about my DS feeding because he is usually done in 6-10 minutes. I talked to my pediatrician and he said I am one of the lucky ones because DS can drain a breast in 4-9 minutes as I'm always empty when he is done, even though extremely full when he starts. Put the emphasis on going until you are empty like PP said
    Omg I'm seriously so jealous of you.   My son takes 45 mins to feed whether he is on the breast or bottle. And he eats every two hours lol so I basically spend the entire day and night feeding him
  • @tripledaggerWed95976 do you burp him after every feeding or try when he fusses? Sometimes I forget and that's why he is fussy for me.
    I do, but sometimes I think I'm not doing it right because he rarely burps 
    I feel the same way about burping! My pediatrician told me that it is normal to have less burps if you are EBF but I still feel like we're not doing it right. 
    My guy doesn't burp every time either. The LC told me BF babies don't always need to because they aren't taking in as much air.
    im seeing lots of moms talk about waking baby up to eat- I've been feeding on demand since day one. Today he went about 5 hours between feedings- am I doing it wrong?
  • @tripledaggerWed95976 When your baby is making the grunting noises, does he seem upset? Or is he just noisy? I just ask because my first baby was an extremely noisy sleeper, he constantly grunted and rasped and generally sounded like Marlon Brando in the godfather, but I realized he would just cycle through back to sleep without my help as long as he wasn't full-on wailing. 

@AliciaD39 My son fed super fast too, I was always paranoid initially that he wasn't eating enough but he could drain the breast in 5-10 min. Hoping that's just how my milk works and it will be the same with this baby! Is this your first or do you have previous experience with breastfeeding?
  • @tripledaggerWed95976 When your baby is making the grunting noises, does he seem upset? Or is he just noisy? I just ask because my first baby was an extremely noisy sleeper, he constantly grunted and rasped and generally sounded like Marlon Brando in the godfather, but I realized he would just cycle through back to sleep without my help as long as he wasn't full-on wailing. 

@AliciaD39 My son fed super fast too, I was always paranoid initially that he wasn't eating enough but he could drain the breast in 5-10 min. Hoping that's just how my milk works and it will be the same with this baby! Is this your first or do you have previous experience with breastfeeding?
    It's a bit of both,  he's definitely a pretty noisy baby. Sometimes he grunts but seems to just be makin noise for no reason, and then other times he looks very agitated and turns very red and kicks his legs and arms around while grunting.  God I wish he could just talk and tell me what's wrong haha
  • togmamatogmama member
    edited May 2016
    @JoMunson no no! My baby is just teeny tiny (6.6) with a touch of jaundice so I need to get him caught up 
  • @kbrands7 it's hard to get him to stay up feeding that long!
    Sometimes it doesn't take that long like @AliciaD39 said! If you feel empty/softer, then you're good!

If he's not feeding that long and you're not feeling the breast is drained, there are things that can help to keep him up. You can turn on a light near you (turn it back out as he finishes). Strip him down to the diaper or at least get his hands and feet out. Tickle his hands, feet, cheek, chin as he slows down. Compress/hand express the breast as he suckles to increase the flow (don't do this if he's sputtering or gagging which means you already have a forceful letdown). Maintaining eye contact tends to keep babies engaged and awake too. 

• JoMunson said:
    @tripledaggerWed95976 do you burp him after every feeding or try when he fusses? Sometimes I forget and that's why he is fussy for me.
    I feel the same way about burping! My pediatrician told me that it is normal to have less burps if you are EBF but I still feel like we're not doing it right. 
    My guy doesn't burp every time either. The LC told me BF babies don't always need to because they aren't taking in as much air.
    im seeing lots of moms talk about waking baby up to eat- I've been feeding on demand since day one. Today he went about 5 hours between feedings- am I doing it wrong?
    Feeding on demand is great, but during the newborn stage, it's usually best for a strong supply to feed or pump 8-12 times per day. More is better. If he goes 5hrs between, is he clusterfeeding elsewhere in the day to make up the difference?
  • kbrands7 said:

JoMunson said:
    @tripledaggerWed95976 do you burp him after every feeding or try when he fusses? Sometimes I forget and that's why he is fussy for me.
    Feeding on demand is great, but during the newborn stage, it's usually best for a strong supply to feed or pump 8-12 times per day. More is better. If he goes 5hrs between, is he clusterfeeding elsewhere in the day to make up the difference?
    Heck yes! This kid is a cluster feeding King! He was on boob for about an hour last night, and then again for another 20 minutes! One of my breasts (his favorite) is definitely drained once he's done cluster feeding. He also usually only does  a long sleep stretch from about 5-10am, and he'll cluster feed or feed every hour from about 11pm until 5am.

• missnc77missnc77 member
    edited May 2016
    We've been struggling with burping and gas, but I did some reading back through my breast feeding class materials. We started using the burping position of laying her stomach to our arm (palm out) with head down and tapping her back yesterday afternoon. It has worked wonders. We get burps and farts now, and she's way less fussy. We only had to deal with one hour long melt down in trying to put her back to sleep last night. That 3am feeding time frame has been the worst. We've also got a couple of blow outs last night with my milk finally coming in (we think). Our little baby is sleeping beauty during the day and miss cranky pants at night. Womp, womp.

Edit: Also, we're in the we wake our kid to feed club. We only do it during the day since that's when she sleeps the best. I let her go for 3 hours and then we'll wake her by a diaper change then feed. Our nurses in the hospital and pediatrician said to not let her go more than 4 hours between feeds. When we do wake her, she'll start sucking the air, and we can usually get 20 minutes of feeing in, so I don't feel like we're force feeding or anything. I'm so interested to see what her weight will be at her first appointment tomorrow.
  • @AliciaD39 My son fed super fast too, I was always paranoid initially that he wasn't eating enough but he could drain the breast in 5-10 min. Hoping that's just how my milk works and it will be the same with this baby! Is this your first or do you have previous experience with breastfeeding?
    First! I had two awesome LCs in the hospital thank goodness because the latch was awful in the beginning. I'm happy he is a fast feeder, though he is a preemie so I'm constantly trying to keep him awake. 
  • KurrantKurrant member
    So it seems I have a gassy baby. She is breastfed and I avoided gassy food for days after thinking I might have caused this issue with my cabbage eating. Last night after trying to get her down after an hour and a half of purple face crying she finally let out 5 HUGE farts and fell asleep.   What do you do about a gassy baby?  I saw gas drops or something at the market. Do they work? Are they safe?  Anyone else going through this issue with an EBB baby?
  • @Kurrant I'm going to call my pediatrician about gas today! My LO definitely has gas but we have a really hard time burping her. I feel so bad because I can tell how uncomfortable she is (stiff legs, grunting, making "ehhh" sounds, etc) but I can't seem to help her find relief. I will let you know what the pedi recommends! 
  • wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    Anyone else newborn peeling or shedding skin ? at first I thought it was dried milk haha but it's on his hands and feet ! I believe this is normal but does anyone know if your supposed to put anything on the peeling skin or leave it alone ? 
  • @kurrant @LadySamLady  DS was a gassy baby for about the first month. We had a lot of luck stretching him out after feedings (holding him up with his head on our shoulder and making sure that he didn't scrunch his torso, which is natural for babies to try to do) and also using gentle massage a little while after eating. This link explains the gas cycle pretty well and gives a link to a good massage video: https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/infant-gas/
    I hope you guys find something that works for your little ones!
  • Bltbear82 said:
    My SIL's babies were all NICU babies and they showed her the way they burp. It's hard to explain but this video is a good example, I've found it usually does the trick if it's stubborn gas. Just make sure their head is properly supported and it is pretty effective in my experience. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6boVy5aF4kg

This was seriously genius, I've been using it since yesterday and I'm getting much bigger and more forceful burps from him.  Thank u!
  • wsgjmw1 said:
    Anyone else newborn peeling or shedding skin ? at first I thought it was dried milk haha but it's on his hands and feet ! I believe this is normal but does anyone know if your supposed to put anything on the peeling skin or leave it alone ? 
    Yes! My LO has this too. My ped said to leave it alone for now. 
  • Bltbear82 said:
    My SIL's babies were all NICU babies and they showed her the way they burp. It's hard to explain but this video is a good example, I've found it usually does the trick if it's stubborn gas. Just make sure their head is properly supported and it is pretty effective in my experience. 

This was seriously genius, I've been using it since yesterday and I'm getting much bigger and more forceful burps from him.  Thank u!
    Glad it helped!
  • wsgjmw1 said:
    Yes! My LO has this too. My ped said to leave it alone for now. 
    Mine had dry feet and hands only. I just used some baby lotion. It's cleared up in just a few days! 
  • Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:

Glad it helped!
    How long do you do it for? I think we may be quitting too early.
  • Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:

Glad it helped!
    Usually a few minutes minimum, but if I can't get him to burp I'll alternate the circle method with regular burping and go back to the circles. 
  • KurrantKurrant member
    Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:

Glad it helped!
    Usually a few minutes minimum, but if I can't get him to burp I'll alternate the circle method with regular burping and go back to the circles. 
    I tried this method yesterday but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm not doing it right or may she's just too squirmy from her farty gas. I felt like I would drop and choke her so I stopped. 
  • Kurrant said:
    Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:
    Bltbear82 said:

Glad it helped!
    I tried this method yesterday but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm not doing it right or may she's just too squirmy from her farty gas. I felt like I would drop and choke her so I stopped. 
    My mom used to do a method where she would hold us facing forward and then rock her body back and forth, almost like bowing. She said it worked every time! I haven't tried it, so far my son is a pretty good burper and will usually just handle light tapping. Maybe try my moms method?
  • Another method is to leave them laying down for a minute or 2 after eating and then sit them up slowly and sometimes just that makes a good burp come out. 

We we will just leave our girls on our chests up right for a few minutes if they don't burp and try again. Usually we get one. Sometimes those bubbles are stubborn 
  • STM here with a baby that just seems to be the complete opposite of our first and it's making me totally paranoid even though the docs and nurses keeps saying he's perfect haha. The only times he really cries is if we change his clothes/diaper or otherwise disturb him when he wants to be left (or I'm taking too long to get him the boob). My daughter just seemed so much more needy and wouldn't sleep unless she was held, cried a lot, etc. I remember us literally having to walk her around all evening to get her not to fuss. 

Anyone else have babies that are so content sleeping? I usually have to wake him up to feed most of the time. He was born on the 6th so just a few days old. I tried to get him to stay awake a few times today to ease my mind a little. We have our first check up tomorrow and have a list of questions. I need to stop comparing babies but it's hard! 
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • STM here with a baby that just seems to be the complete opposite of our first and it's making me totally paranoid even though the docs and nurses keeps saying he's perfect haha. The only times he really cries is if we change his clothes/diaper or otherwise disturb him when he wants to be left (or I'm taking too long to get him the boob). My daughter just seemed so much more needy and wouldn't sleep unless she was held, cried a lot, etc. I remember us literally having to walk her around all evening to get her not to fuss. 

Anyone else have babies that are so content sleeping? I usually have to wake him up to feed most of the time. He was born on the 6th so just a few days old. I tried to get him to stay awake a few times today to ease my mind a little. We have our first check up tomorrow and have a list of questions. I need to stop comparing babies but it's hard! 
    I'm a FTM and my guy is the same way! He cries when he's hungry or getting changed and he's only awake and content for a small amount of time during the day, usually he's asleep! He's fussier at night but it's just cuz he wants to nurse all night long!
  • @finnybooboo we have this exact dynamic! I'm just happy that we had the higher touch baby first-- it would be really hard to have a needy baby with a toddler at home. 
  • kbrands7 said:
    @finnybooboo we have this exact dynamic! I'm just happy that we had the higher touch baby first-- it would be really hard to have a needy baby with a toddler at home. 
    This is giving me some hope that DD2 will be a better sleeper! 
  • @kbrands7 I was saying the same to my husband tonight! It would have been hard to have such a complacent baby first. I guess at least we came into it expecting the worst. In also knocking on wood hoping I'm not jinxing myself! 
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • MsIanMsIan member
    This is probably for the BF'g thread, but is anyone having trouble feeding for longer than 7-10 minutes at a time because LO falls asleep at the boob and refuses to be roused? 
  • edited May 2016
    Baby #2 has quite some reflux. I am worried to even leave the baby laying down even though we just bought a halo bassinet. So this should be interesting. 
  • edited May 2016
    I had a sleepy baby (#1) and LLL and also the LC at the hospital had some great tips. It is hard! Hang in there, baby will wake up. I forgot how long it took for us, I want to say 3-4 weeks? 
  • MsIan said:
    This is probably for the BF'g thread, but is anyone having trouble feeding for longer than 7-10 minutes at a time because LO falls asleep at the boob and refuses to be roused? 
    Yes.  My son is 3 weeks old and it's still a major struggle keeping him awake to breastfeed. He gets SO sleepy within minutes.   I spend 45 minutes feeding him every two hours.  It's slowly killing me lol
  • MsIan said:
    Yes.  My son is 3 weeks old and it's still a major struggle keeping him awake to breastfeed. He gets SO sleepy within minutes.   I spend 45 minutes feeding him every two hours.  It's slowly killing me lol
    My baby girl is such a milk addict, she doesn't fall asleep at the boob but she just won't give it up for at least 30-45 mins. It pretty much takes an hour every time we nurse so I totally know what you mean... It's a killer! 
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited May 2016
    Well, for one, you can pat them pretty hard. They're sturdier than they look! Does he still fuss a lot when you put him up to burp? My mom said sometimes just putting them upright is enough to relieve their gas a bit.

My nephew was that way at this age. If you cradle held him he would fuss, but if you put him up on your shoulder he would calm down. Gravity, FTW!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• MsIan said:
    My baby girl is such a milk addict, she doesn't fall asleep at the boob but she just won't give it up for at least 30-45 mins. It pretty much takes an hour every time we nurse so I totally know what you mean... It's a killer! 
    Ugh it's so brutal.  I'm praying it doesn't stay like this for too long!
  • @tripledaggerWed95976 do you burp him after every feeding or try when he fusses? Sometimes I forget and that's why he is fussy for me.
    Well, for one, you can pat them pretty hard. They're sturdier than they look! Does he still fuss a lot when you put him up to burp? My mom said sometimes just putting them upright is enough to relieve their gas a bit.

My nephew was that way at this age. If you cradle held him he would fuss, but if you put him up on your shoulder he would calm down. Gravity, FTW!

haha I know, my husband always laughs at me because I pat him so softly, I definitely need to be less timid about it!!
  • MsIan said:
    Mine does this, but he drains it in that time. I was concerned he wasn't gaining enough, but he has put on over half a pound since last week so he is just a quick eater. Do you still feel full afterwards?