April 2016 Moms

Newborn Questions

I have a few questions about my LO, hoping some of you mamas can help. Baby is a week and a half old, and he sleeps a lot. He either naps in his lounger chair in the living room with us, or one of us holding him. I've tried a few times to put him on his stomach on my chest, so he isn't always on his back, but he can't seem to figure out to keep his head turned to the side or what to do with his arms. Should he be more on my chest or up higher towards my shoulder? Any suggestions how to position him so he is comfortable? 

I read online that tummy time should startaround 2-3 months old, is this what you all are doing? Is he too young to do tummy time right now?

Also, I feel guilty if I'm not holding him while he is sleeping. Obviously I don't hold him all the time, but I just feel bad when he is sleeping in his lounger. I don't want him to feel alone, does anyone relate? Maybe its just my PP hormones, lol!

Re: Newborn Questions

• I can totally relate to wanting to hold him so he doesn't feel alone. Felt that way with DD too, but now that I have two I can't always hold him :(

As for him laying on your chest. I put DS up more on my shoulder so his cheek is by my cheek. He usually slides down a little bit after awhile so he's more on my chest. Most the time his head is already turned to the side at that point but if not or he moves I just gently turn his head to the side and it's NBD. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We did tummy time starting at 1 week w DD. Of course when we were watching and not during nap times or anything. There are many places you could put your sweet baby on your chest and like pp said you can adjust his head. Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • When sleeping on me I put LO on his stomach so his head is right on my boob, but turned so he is basically looking at my cleavage. He rests his head on his arms, his legs are tucked up in the fetal position and his butt is up in the air. I just make sure I can see his nose at all times. 
  • My LO breathes very heavily. I put him on my chest all the time, and he lifts his head up and drops it where he wants it. He usually burrows his head into my cleavage anyway, but I don't sleep while holding him that way, and as long as I can hear/feel him breathing he's good.
  • Eliot is a week old today and we started official tummy time. I put one of his blankets on the carpet and set him down and watched him. He was fine! Lifting his head and turning it from side to side. Pushing up with is arms. Granted, he is really strong! 
  • I usually hold him on my chest but high enough to kiss. I let him find a comfortable spot to rest his head but make sure his head isn't touching his chest. 

Hold baby as much as you want but don't feel guilty if you want to put him down during some naps to get stuff done. 
  • Oh also, imo tummy time can start whenever. I have tried to do it a few times so far, but she always falls asleep.
    kids with flags
  • @brenlo42 nope. My LO's smells like sulfur usually. (Dr said it's fine/normal)
  • @brenlo42 nope. My LO's smells like sulfur usually. (Dr said it's fine/normal)
    I actually like how sulfur smells. I definitely think it sounds better than sausage smell!
    I actually like how sulfur smells. I definitely think it sounds better than sausage smell!
    I personally hate it... Maybe that's a biological response to remove it from his presence as quickly as possible?
  • brenlo42 said:
    I start Rosie up on my shoulder and she usually migrates down to whereever she's comfortable. It's pretty easy to tell if she wants to eat from that position too cause she will try to latch on to my cheek or dive for a boob.

My newborn question: Does anybody else's baby's poop smell like breakfast sausage? I am never going to be able to eat McDonald's breakfast again.

I just laughed so hard that my belly jiggled Ellie awake. Hers doesn't smell like much of anything, but she loves to surprise squirt at us when she gets changed. 
  • Anyone else's LO scream bloody murder every single diaper change?
  • When R was a baby, our pediatrician said he could sleep on his tummy on a firm surface during the daytime when we were right there with him, so we did a lot of that. His head was always very round ;-) We also held him a lot. He would also fall asleep while nursing and just nap on his side on the boppy.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @shawnacrest LO doesn't scream, but usually he gets squirmy and a little fussy at every diaper change. Usually this is only for pee diapers, poo diapers he lays there calm while we clean him up. I'm not sure why he hates diaper changes, we are quick and use a wipe warmer. He just doesn't like it. Anybody else wish stores sold warming tables like the ones hospitals use? Quinn didn't mind diaper/outfit changes in the hospital, we used the warming table each time, it was wonderful! He hates being cold.
  • @shawnacrestDiaper time is basically the only time he gets upset. DD loved them though. I'm trying to remember if we did anything different then! 
  • loveymay said:
    @shawnacrest LO doesn't scream, but usually he gets squirmy and a little fussy at every diaper change. Usually this is only for pee diapers, poo diapers he lays there calm while we clean him up. I'm not sure why he hates diaper changes, we are quick and use a wipe warmer. He just doesn't like it. Anybody else wish stores sold warming tables like the ones hospitals use? Quinn didn't mind diaper/outfit changes in the hospital, we used the warming table each time, it was wonderful! He hates being cold.
    I wish they had a heating table at the hospital. Every time anyone took off his clothes, he would cry terribly. He just hates being naked. amaniupendo said:
    @shawnacrestDiaper time is basically the only time he gets upset. DD loved them though. I'm trying to remember if we did anything different then! 
    I wish that I could figure out a way that he wouldn't mind it. Every time he needs changed it makes me so sad
  • Our pediatrician recommended only doing tummy time on our chest for now, she didn't mention when it would be okay to start on the floor. I'm sure if your LO is awake and you are right there with them it wouldn't be an issue. 
  • Any other breastfeeding moms been advised to give LO a vitamin D supplement? Does your LO make an uncomfortable breath sound after? I definitely plan on mixing it in with my pumped milk when we start bottles this weekend. But for now we are using a syringe and her breath sounds like the beginning of the pertussis commercial to me for a couple seconds.
  • Any other breastfeeding moms been advised to give LO a vitamin D supplement? Does your LO make an uncomfortable breath sound after? I definitely plan on mixing it in with my pumped milk when we start bottles this weekend. But for now we are using a syringe and her breath sounds like the beginning of the pertussis commercial to me for a couple seconds.
    We are also giving a vitamin D supplement but she loves it and I haven't noticed any weird breathing. Are you giving it to her all at once? Fast or slow?
  • @AmadorRose what brand are you using? We're using the enfamil brand because it was the only one in stock when I went to target and I feel like she spits more of it out than she actually gets 
  • @AmadorRose what brand are you using? We're using the enfamil brand because it was the only one in stock when I went to target and I feel like she spits more of it out than she actually gets 
    We were given something generic from the hospital because of her jaundice (I assume, I was in too much of a haze to really ask). It's cherry flavored and she sucks it out of the little syringe, she likes it so much. 
  • @JulienneNicole LO was given a prescription for vitamin d supplements. It's called D-Cure and they are drops that need to be administered orally. LO doesn't react to them except for a little wincing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Any other breastfeeding moms been advised to give LO a vitamin D supplement? Does your LO make an uncomfortable breath sound after? I definitely plan on mixing it in with my pumped milk when we start bottles this weekend. But for now we are using a syringe and her breath sounds like the beginning of the pertussis commercial to me for a couple seconds

---QBF---

DD1 did this with her vitamin D. We did Enfamil's D-Vi-Sol with her. She loved it and would slurp it down, but we had to pace her because of the wheezy thing. I think it has to do with the thicker syrupy texture of it. With this baby, I bought "Baby D Drops" which are more concentrated so she only needs one drop and you can put it on your nipple right before nursing... I  haven't given her any yet though.
    kids with flags
  • Any other LO not eating as often as recommended  (8-12 times a day), and not by lack of trying. He's just sleepy and content. Two days after discharge he was up half of the weight he'd lost after birth. Doctor did not seem concerned that he was not asking to eat every 2-3 hours but I keep wondering, especially since DS1 was on the boob all the time.
  • @MrsZko I guess this really depends on your LO. I was told to nurse every 2.5 hours because of jaundice issues. This also meant waking LO up to eat even if he seemed content. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Yes I was advised to give it, but to start at 2 weeks (which is Sunday). I got a preparation that only requires a drop instead of a syringe-full. I think it's called D-drops.
  • MrsZko said:
    Any other LO not eating as often as recommended  (8-12 times a day), and not by lack of trying. He's just sleepy and content. Two days after discharge he was up half of the weight he'd lost after birth. Doctor did not seem concerned that he was not asking to eat every 2-3 hours but I keep wondering, especially since DS1 was on the boob all the time.
    I feel the same way. Our girl is coombs positive so was more likely to get jaundice but she never did. She got a little yellow in the hospitsl but it went away. We try waking her every 3 hours but sometimes she jist refuses to wake up despite all our efforts. She's still trying to get the hang of BF, but the past day or two she's been learning how to latch snd suck for longer periods of time so I think she gets fuller and not hungry as ofteb. We will see what she weighs Wed. at her 2 week app. but I always worry xD
  • MrsZko said:
    Any other LO not eating as often as recommended  (8-12 times a day), and not by lack of trying. He's just sleepy and content. Two days after discharge he was up half of the weight he'd lost after birth. Doctor did not seem concerned that he was not asking to eat every 2-3 hours but I keep wondering, especially since DS1 was on the boob all the time.
    I feel the same way. Our girl is coombs positive so was more likely to get jaundice but she never did. She got a little yellow in the hospitsl but it went away. We try waking her every 3 hours but sometimes she jist refuses to wake up despite all our efforts. She's still trying to get the hang of BF, but the past day or two she's been learning how to latch snd suck for longer periods of time so I think she gets fuller and not hungry as ofteb. We will see what she weighs Wed. at her 2 week app. but I always worry xD
    I'm glad to hear were not alone....I know he's getting lots when he does nurse and has a perfect output but it's hard not to worry. There's always something to worry about isn't there!  He just won't wake sometimes like for you. And with my milk coming in the past couple days it's been pretty painful to say the least.
  • MrsZko said:
    MrsZko said:
    I'm glad to hear were not alone....I know he's getting lots when he does nurse and has a perfect output but it's hard not to worry. There's always something to worry about isn't there!  He just won't wake sometimes like for you. And with my milk coming in the past couple days it's been pretty painful to say the least.
    Something I found helpful as my milk came in was to pump a but for relief and offer expressed milk when Ellie wasn't interested in the boob. It seemed to get her to snap out of whatever funk she was in enough to spark her interest in nursing. I think she was just too lazy to latch and suck properly for w couple of days but now I can't keep her off. 
  • MrsZko said:
    MrsZko said:
    Something I found helpful as my milk came in was to pump a but for relief and offer expressed milk when Ellie wasn't interested in the boob. It seemed to get her to snap out of whatever funk she was in enough to spark her interest in nursing. I think she was just too lazy to latch and suck properly for w couple of days but now I can't keep her off. 
    You know what! I actually did that a few times partially to relieve my aches but also because it helped soften the tissue and areola and helped him latch. The crazy fullness has finally subsided and he's nursing more efficiently and readily. I still have to wake him sometimes. Like even this am he was going on 4 hours and I was like noooo. You can do a 4 hour stretch at night but not during the day. I guess it'll take a bit of time to establish a routine with this little one and it will be different from my other son. It may be longer feeds and longer in between vs more of a snacker type. 
  • brenlo42 said:
    Any other breastfeeding moms been advised to give LO a vitamin D supplement? Does your LO make an uncomfortable breath sound after? I definitely plan on mixing it in with my pumped milk when we start bottles this weekend. But for now we are using a syringe and her breath sounds like the beginning of the pertussis commercial to me for a couple seconds

---QBF---

DD1 did this with her vitamin D. We did Enfamil's D-Vi-Sol with her. She loved it and would slurp it down, but we had to pace her because of the wheezy thing. I think it has to do with the thicker syrupy texture of it. With this baby, I bought "Baby D Drops" which are more concentrated so she only needs one drop and you can put it on your nipple right before nursing... I  haven't given her any yet though.
    Mine really HATES the drops. I have to give him a syringe and it is done in drops because he spits so much of it out -.-
  • Pumping question:
    DS2 is 9 days old and my milk is coming in. I am EPing. I pump every 3 hours. When I pump during the day, I am getting about 3 oz per side. When I pump at night I am barely getting 1.5 oz per side. What is the deal? 

I doubt its a supply issue because with DS1, in the prime of my pumping, I could get 6-8 oz per side.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pumping question:
    DS2 is 9 days old and my milk is coming in. I am EPing. I pump every 3 hours. When I pump during the day, I am getting about 3 oz per side. When I pump at night I am barely getting 1.5 oz per side. What is the deal? 

I doubt its a supply issue because with DS1, in the prime of my pumping, I could get 6-8 oz per side.
    We naturally make less milk at night. Also, DD is 10 days old and the most I've gotten in a session is an ounce 1 from both sides. She is chunking out, so I know she's getting enough. 
  • How many ounces are everyone's LOs eating at a time? I'm FF and LO is eating 3 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours. The last few days he has acted hungry an hour after eating and we've given him another ounce a few times. I'm not sure if I should start making 4 oz bottles or keep it a 3? Is it normal for a 2.5 week old to eat 3-4 oz? I'm just afraid of over feeding him, but everything I've read says babies will stop eating once they are full, so I'm not even sure if its possible to overfeed a baby?
  • Hmmm so LOs poops just went from a healthy breastfed curry color to a weird green color even though we haven't really changed anything. I read it could mean I have an oversupply, does anyone have experience with this? 

• loveymay said:
    How many ounces are everyone's LOs eating at a time? I'm FF and LO is eating 3 oz every 2.5 to 3 hours. The last few days he has acted hungry an hour after eating and we've given him another ounce a few times. I'm not sure if I should start making 4 oz bottles or keep it a 3? Is it normal for a 2.5 week old to eat 3-4 oz? I'm just afraid of over feeding him, but everything I've read says babies will stop eating once they are full, so I'm not even sure if its possible to overfeed a baby?
    Based on my limited knowledge, they'll spit up anything that won't fit in their little bellies. I'm BFing so I don't know oz, but E will sometimes cluster feed every 45 min - an hour for several hours. Other times she'll nurse for just a few minutes, so I think it's a comfort thing. I was told that while establishing BFing, I should feed on demand; I imagine this is especially true even for FF babies until they reach birth weight. 
  • Hmmm so LOs poops just went from a healthy breastfed curry color to a weird green color even though we haven't really changed anything. I read it could mean I have an oversupply, does anyone have experience with this? 
    https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Was helpful for me with DD and I have referred to it again. I think it's really only something to pay attention to when it's consistently green.
    Could also mean intolerance to lactose.