April 2016 Moms
Options

Postpartum Thread

Re: Postpartum Thread

• Options
    crichb said:
    Can we talk about these babies sleeping at night? How are you getting sleep? My LO tends to spit up and it scares me to put her down and then me go to sleep while she does. I have seen her spit up a few times on her back and it looks like she is going to gag herself. But mama needs sleep, desperately!
    Have you tried swaddling and laying her more on her side? That way their movement is limited (I. E. They won't roll on their face)but at least if they spit up they won't choke.
  • Options
    Does anyone else find it hard to fall asleep in the same room as their baby? I know co-sleeping is very popular, but honestly I sleep like crap with the baby in my room. DD slept in her crib in the nursery from day one and now DS sleeps in the bassinet in the hall because all those adorable daytime noises drive me batty at night! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    crichb said:
    Can we talk about these babies sleeping at night? How are you getting sleep? My LO tends to spit up and it scares me to put her down and then me go to sleep while she does. I have seen her spit up a few times on her back and it looks like she is going to gag herself. But mama needs sleep, desperately!
    I try to sleep when LO sleeps. Last night it was a cluster feeding session and I hardly got a wink. After feeding try to burp LO by keeping him upright. I also try to wait for LO to look super drowsy before putting him down. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I keep waking up in cold sweats thinking my baby is sleeping in bed with me underneath the covers and I can't find him. Each time I wake up DH in a mad panic only to realize 15 seconds later our son is sleeping soundly in his bassinet to my left, where I put him. Ugh, so stressful!! 

On a positive note my LO slept 6 hours straight last night!! I was in complete disbelief when I saw the time this morning. Fluke or not I'll take it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I keep waking up in cold sweats thinking my baby is sleeping in bed with me underneath the covers and I can't find him. Each time I wake up DH in a mad panic only to realize 15 seconds later our son is sleeping soundly in his bassinet to my left, where I put him. Ugh, so stressful!! 

On a positive note my LO slept 6 hours straight last night!! I was in complete disbelief when I saw the time this morning. Fluke or not I'll take it!
    This happened to me all the time with DS1! I was just so exhausted and he was in and out of our bed nursing all night... I would put him back in his crib and then forget that I did it. It will get easier! 6 hours is amazing!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @yodiggity don't stress on all the details of breastfeeding... you may or may not have issues, and there are lactation people available at the hospital to help. If you have issues when you get home, talk to your OB/get a rec for an LC ASAP and they can help! Don't worry about it beforehand :) 
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @crichb if your baby is a big spitter upper, you could maybe try a rock and play that keeps baby at more of an incline instead of flat on her back? But she will really be okay! Get some sleep mama!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    ashdawn24 said:
    Does anyone else find it hard to fall asleep in the same room as their baby? I know co-sleeping is very popular, but honestly I sleep like crap with the baby in my room. DD slept in her crib in the nursery from day one and now DS sleeps in the bassinet in the hall because all those adorable daytime noises drive me batty at night! 
    This is exactly what all 3 of my sisters with kids have told me after telling them that I plan to keep LO in my room so I don't have to get up at night. I'm just staying open to any possibility, because sleep is important. 
  • Options
    brit&nate2010brit&nate2010 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm a week pp and my hips still hurt/ache. It's not nearly as bad as when pregnant but still hurts with certain movements and such. I'm guessing it's from having baby#3, since I had zero hip pain with the first two. 
  • Options
    ashdawn24 said:
    This is exactly what all 3 of my sisters with kids have told me after telling them that I plan to keep LO in my room so I don't have to get up at night. I'm just staying open to any possibility, because sleep is important. 
    I am definitely not against people having baby in their room, but it does NOT work for me. I can deal with sleep deprivation during the day no problem, but at night I have a hard time controlling my crazy, so I need all the sleep I can get. I learned pretty quickly with DD that it was better for me to have to get up and deal with her, rather than stay in bed and pick her up to be with me. I need that "fully awake" feeling in order not to lose my shit.

A lot of people are afraid of having baby so far away but it was never a problem for us. It could depend on how close your bedrooms are... we have a 2 bed apt where our rooms are side by side and I can still hear louder squeaks and rustles. I had a few "is she breathing?" panic moments, but learned to control that too. :wink: In the end I found that she slept better and I slept better, so we were all happier! 

That being said... everyone needs to find what works for them! 
  • Options
    For anybody with vag/perineum/anal pain and soreness, I highly recommend making popsicle pads. Mix up 1/4 cup of witch hazel with 2 tbsps of aloe vera. Smear the mixture on sanitary pads and put them in the freezer. They feel amazing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    So I'm now dealing with oversupply thanks to having to pump per hospital instructions, on top of trying to wean off of the nipple shield. Feeding LO is not pleasant atm... He is only nursing on side per session, half of which is with the nipple shield, and the other half without. (Which doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it is severe progress from three days ago!)

I found out it's an over supply issue because his poop went from being mustard yellow to lime green which is either caused by a hind/fore milk imbalance, dairy sensitivity, or a virus. I figured I'd start trouble shooting with the first one and go from there. Two days of feeding like this and his poop is back to an acceptable color. It's just annoying because the side I don't nurse on feels engorged, and leaks >.< Hopefully my boobs chill out soon, because this feeling sucks.

@loveymay I can only imagine your pain with both at the same time, and no relief :cry: 
    this is so much information all in one post. I feel like I have no idea what I am in for. Did you read this before hand or troubleshoot or what is happening?? Am I supposed to know all of this already?
    @yodiggityYou will figure things out as they come. No sense in worrying about the one million things that could happen when you can use Dr. Google (or your real pediatrician) to figure this stuff out afterward.

Also, I looked at this poop slideshow (not for the faint of heart or queasy of stomach) way more times than I would like to admit when DD1 was a baby.

@Knottie9983816 Half of your feeding without the nipple shield is HUGE progress! Congratulations! With DD1, a lactation consultant set us up with a nipple shield since my nips were badly damaged, and it took months to wean her off of it, but it was a huge relief when she was finally done with it and nursing "normally" (not til she was 4.5 months old... hoping things don't take quite that long this time).
    kids with flags
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    edited April 2016
    Does anyone use Earth Mama Angel Baby's Mama Bottom Balm or Bottom Spray? Are they helpful? I'm thinking of getting them so I have the goods ready at home when I get discharged from the hospital.

Will take your word for it @redselig - looking for witch hazel right now!
  • Options
    @lovemay I'm at FTM so I don't know for sure, but I'm going to be FF, too, and others have told me that decongestants like Sudafed can help dry the milk up. Also, not sure if they wrapped you in the hospital or not, but you can use something like Ace bandages to wrap your chest as tight as possible. A super tight sports bra supposedly works, too. 
  • Options
    @kimey1 make sure you get witch hazel with no added alcohol and pure aloe vera gel. I've also seen some recipes that added essential oils but I didn't bother.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    g&tlewis said:
    @lovemay I'm at FTM so I don't know for sure, but I'm going to be FF, too, and others have told me that decongestants like Sudafed can help dry the milk up. Also, not sure if they wrapped you in the hospital or not, but you can use something like Ace bandages to wrap your chest as tight as possible. A super tight sports bra supposedly works, too. 
    I second this. When I needed to keep milk from coming in, I wrapped tightly with an ace bandage and made sure not to touch them. I would disagree with the recommendations to run or express any milk because it will just stimulate more to be made. 
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    I'm not breastfeeding, but my milk came in overnight. My boobs are giant hard rocks now, quite uncomfortable. The only thing I remember the hospital nurse telling me was not to let water in the shower hit my chest and that cabbage leaves can help with discomfort. Do any FF moms have any suggestions how to relieve the discomfort? Also about how long does it take for the milk to dry up? Im 5 days post partum.
    I didn't attempt BF'ing at all with DS1 and of course after delivering my twin losses, my milk also came in. This is what I've learned about drying up milk. Wear a tight fitting sports bra or even better, wrap an ace bandage around your boobs as tight as you can stand (this will hurt like a bitch the first few times since  you are likely engorged). Rough up some cabbage leaves, making sure to break the veins open, and put those on your boobs under the bra/binding. Change them frequently, once wilted, they lose their affect. If you need to relieve some of the pain, you can hand express a little bit but don't do that often or express much as it will just trigger your body to make more and like you said, be sure to keep your boobs out of the shower stream as that also stimulates them. I tried to deal with the pain as much as I possibly could to help hurry the process along. Sudafed can also help with the drying up from what I understand, but I haven't personally tried it.

It took a good 2 weeks probably for me to dry up my milk with the twin loss. For DS1, since I knew how, I was prepared and wrapped immediately after delivery so my milk never fully came in and it only took a couple days to be done.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    I'm not breastfeeding, but my milk came in overnight. My boobs are giant hard rocks now, quite uncomfortable. The only thing I remember the hospital nurse telling me was not to let water in the shower hit my chest and that cabbage leaves can help with discomfort. Do any FF moms have any suggestions how to relieve the discomfort? Also about how long does it take for the milk to dry up? Im 5 days post partum.
    I didn't attempt BF'ing at all with DS1 and of course after delivering my twin losses, my milk also came in. This is what I've learned about drying up milk. Wear a tight fitting sports bra or even better, wrap an ace bandage around your boobs as tight as you can stand (this will hurt like a bitch the first few times since  you are likely engorged). Rough up some cabbage leaves, making sure to break the veins open, and put those on your boobs under the bra/binding. Change them frequently, once wilted, they lose their affect. If you need to relieve some of the pain, you can hand express a little bit but don't do that often or express much as it will just trigger your body to make more and like you said, be sure to keep your boobs out of the shower stream as that also stimulates them. I tried to deal with the pain as much as I possibly could to help hurry the process along. Sudafed can also help with the drying up from what I understand, but I haven't personally tried it.

It took a good 2 weeks probably for me to dry up my milk with the twin loss. For DS1, since I knew how, I was prepared and wrapped immediately after delivery so my milk never fully came in and it only took a couple days to be done.
    I wasnt wrapped at the hospital and didnt even realize I should do this. I should have been prepared more for what to expect when my milk came in, but I really never though about it. I was in agony yesterday, literally in tears. I tried expressing a little and gently massaging, I read if I expressed a little that it would alleviate some of the pressure without signaling for my body to make more. I only got a few drops out though. My boobs were giagantic hard rocks, but today it doesnt hurt so much. I havent leaked any today either, so Im hoping they will return to normal fairly soon. I am taking Claritin D that has pseudoephedrine in it, so maybe that is also helping and DH went to the store to get some cabbage for me. 

Engorged breasts have been the most painful part of PP, and I have a 2nd degree tear with stitches!  Thanks for all the advice ladies!
  • Options
    Any other BFers completely ravenous?!? I'm finding myself even more hungry than I was pregnant!! Ugh :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Any other BFers completely ravenous?!? I'm finding myself even more hungry than I was pregnant!! Ugh :(
    @mrsmtothek when I was breastfeeding I was WAY hungrier than I was while pregnant... but I ate a ton and still lose weight. In fact, the whole time I was breastfeeding I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight, so it was amazing! Obviously don't over-do it with junk food, but listen to your body and eat when you're hungry ! You do need more extra calories while nursing than you do while pregnant!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    The earth mama bottom balm was my one must have for my "go" bag and helped ease the pain with baby one and now baby 2. Love that it is soothing but not numbing. I sent this to a friend after her vaginal birth with an episiotomy and she called me crying saying that it was a lifesaver!
  • Options
    crichb said:
    The earth mama bottom balm was my one must have for my "go" bag and helped ease the pain with baby one and now baby 2. Love that it is soothing but not numbing. I sent this to a friend after her vaginal birth with an episiotomy and she called me crying saying that it was a lifesaver!
    I've been using their nipple butter. I love the way it smells!

BTW for those who are interested, I am a horribly mean mother and have refused to use the nipple shield the past two days. Other than the occasional ten minute fuss session he has survived without it. I fucking hated that thing and it gave me blisters. I'm glad we have the tools to help women feed their children now that we didn't have in the past, but it was NOT for me...

Clusterfeeding can't possibly be an ALL DAY EVENT, can it? Jax had eaten every hour and a half for twenty minutes each time since like 9:45. I know he's due for a growth spurt right now, but damn!
  • Options
    @mrsmtothek when I was breastfeeding I was WAY hungrier than I was while pregnant... but I ate a ton and still lose weight. In fact, the whole time I was breastfeeding I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight, so it was amazing! Obviously don't over-do it with junk food, but listen to your body and eat when you're hungry ! You do need more extra calories while nursing than you do while pregnant!
    I'm looking forward to this almost as much as I'm looking forward to not looking like a bowling ball on stilts. Mmm, calories!
  • Options
    I've got one nipple that is way more painful and I've only been nursing on that side maybe 30-40% of the time because it's like knives!  Hope I'm not setting myself up to be lopsided...
  • Options

Clusterfeeding can't possibly be an ALL DAY EVENT, can it? Jax had eaten every hour and a half for twenty minutes each time since like 9:45. I know he's due for a growth spurt right now, but damn!
    I was wondering the same thing. This baby has only slept for an hour this morning and now it's 4pm. He's been on the breast constantly and whenever I put him down he starts rooting again. :flushed: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redselig said:

I was wondering the same thing. This baby has only slept for an hour this morning and now it's 4pm. He's been on the breast constantly and whenever I put him down he starts rooting again. :flushed: 
    My guy has been cluster feeding from 8-11:30 and basically I just get too tired and let him fall asleep beside me. Otherwise he wakes up and the whole dang process starts over again! On the plus side, he did sleep 6 hours last night!
  • Options
    Due to high BP, they're talking about induction in the next two weeks.. So after my appointment today, I'm going postpartum shopping! Pads, witch hazel, Granny panties, nipple pads, lanolin.... Anything I'm forgetting?
  • Options
    Ljljljl said:
    Due to high BP, they're talking about induction in the next two weeks.. So after my appointment today, I'm going postpartum shopping! Pads, witch hazel, Granny panties, nipple pads, lanolin.... Anything I'm forgetting?

Dermoplast spray, Tucks pads, Tylenol, a manual breast pump (if you need to express milk for various reasons). Don't go overboard on one brand of nipple pads, you might find out that they aren't suitable for you. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    Ljljljl said:
    Make sure you're buying witch hazel, Tucks, and Dermoplast WITHOUT added alcohol.

I bought full disposable undies as well (Depends). And maybe some snacks to stuff in your bedside table for late night BF munchies? ;)
    Completely agree with the middle of night snacks. Keep them stocked, I preferred peanut butter crackers with DS. Nurse, put sleeping baby down, eat crackers and back to bed. 
  • Options
    Ugh I think this baby gave me restless leg syndrome or something. At first I was scared to death I had developed a blood clot but it's more of a squeezing/throbbing pain/annoying feeling than the deep back of calf pain the nurses told me to watch out for. Also feeling less paranoid now since it's affecting both legs instead of just the one. It's keeping me up at night. :( 

I've also developed horrible headaches! Postpartum is super fun! 
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    Ljljljl said:
    Make sure you're buying witch hazel, Tucks, and Dermoplast WITHOUT added alcohol.

I bought full disposable undies as well (Depends). And maybe some snacks to stuff in your bedside table for late night BF munchies? ;)
    I got these too but I didn't think they would resemble diapers so closely. I don't think I can wear them!
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    Ljljljl said:

I got these too but I didn't think they would resemble diapers so closely. I don't think I can wear them!
    I had gotten them totally convinced they would be the best thing ever, but I hate the way they feel against me down there. I think @AmadorRose posted something about the difference between period pads and the ones for incontenance and there was a huge noticeable difference between those and regular pads for me. I felt way too dry with the depends.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I have a yeast infection. I'll find out tomorrow. Can my vagina please stop being so stupid now?
  • Options
    I bought the underwear to try this time at night, but we will see.. my go-to with my first was Always Infinity pads, so I got those too. No diaper feeling, great absorption, not bulky. I bled rather heavily for a few weeks.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    Ljljljl said:

I took two giant packs of the undies from the hospital. Not sexy, but they are actually pretty comfortable.
  • Options
    I bought the always infinity pads based on some recommendation and they have been great!  Very thin and not "cottony" like some other heavy flow pads, which can feel chafe-y. 
  • Options
    I used the incontinence pads before delivery. But the ones I used are too small currently. My nurse suggested a NB diaper. I am wearing one in the mesh panties right now as we are heading to the pediatric appointment. Not too bulky, soft and wide enough I'm not worried about shifting. We shall see how it holds up.

Has anyone else been experiencing a weird feeling in their ribs? My friend said it could be my ribs shrinking back down and my organs resettling. Idk, it just feels weird. Would the PP leggings or wrap help with this?
  • Options
    I used the incontinence pads before delivery. But the ones I used are too small currently. My nurse suggested a NB diaper. I am wearing one in the mesh panties right now as we are heading to the pediatric appointment. Not too bulky, soft and wide enough I'm not worried about shifting. We shall see how it holds up.

Has anyone else been experiencing a weird feeling in their ribs? My friend said it could be my ribs shrinking back down and my organs resettling. Idk, it just feels weird. Would the PP leggings or wrap help with this?
    What do you mean by weird? I had lots of twinging/cramping in my intercostal muscles (between the ribs) at about 5 days pp. I think it was a combination of crazy heavy engorged boobs, holding him to BF and everything trying to shift back into place. 
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker