May 2016 Moms

Comments from Strangers Thread

Re: Comments from Strangers Thread

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't had a single stranger comment.   :/  I'm not sure if I'm okay with this or not. Mainly because I haven't been able to use any of my responses.  
  • @yogahh you have inspired me to lay the verbal smackdown on this one lady in our neighborhood who is the quintessential nosy neighbor and has basically been on labor watch 24/7 since January. She is not super nice about it and is almost annoyed I haven't had the baby yet, like I am purposefully keeping it from her. She also gets really weirdly offended when I either don't play outside with my son or we go out for the evening. Her latest comments are "I don't think you can get any bigger!", "Are you sure it is just one?", "Why won't you tell me the name? Is it because it is one of those weird hipster names?", and many others. I honestly just tune her out, but I dread getting the mail or going outside because she is always there, sitting on her porch crabbing, even when it is like 30 degrees out! Oh, and she apparently keeps track of how many times I order delivery or come home with take-out. And yes, she has commented that maybe pizza isn't the best food for the baby. STFU crazy lady!
    Dude, your nosy neighbor lady sounds like she's straight out of a sitcom!! I'd start ordering random deliveries just to make her crazy! 
  • My kids are usually pretty good, but I did have one new girl say "you're having a baby? Oh so THATS why your belly is fat".
    well...I mean...yes?
  • Bltbear82 said:
    I was getting a massage and the therapist asked if I'm having a boy or a girl after I told her I have a son at home. After I said I'm having another son she said "your husband must be very proud".  Yes, his pride is the sole reason we keep having kids. 
    This one might be cultural. There are a lot of cultures where sons are highly valued. 

• A friend asked me if we had celebrated a birthday or some anniversary in August (when we conceived).

Like we only have sex on special occasions.

Gah QBF:
    This reminds me of a great comment I got when I announced I was pregnant at a staff meeting. When I said my due date, I watched one of the male teachers do fast math in his head and smirk "Guess we know what you did this summer!" Yup, I had sex. Good one.

I swear that if anyone tries this one on me, I'm going to say, "I really don't know which night that we had sex got me pregnant." Do you think that would help people pipe down?!

and it's the truth...I should have been too late in my cycle to get pregnant!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• st3lla said:
    yogahh said:
    I was literally just logging on to tell about my experience getting lunch today...

I am at the deli, and the girl behind the counter goes "how far along are you". When I say "2 months today" shes goes "wow, that's a big one". I was calm, but told her " that is really rude". When she asks why, I told her she has NO right to comment on MY body. Pregnant or not. I mean, I wouldnt tell a fat person they are big, so why is it ok to tell a pregnant person the same? 

I know a lot of you have posted about similar experiences and I have to tell you, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. If we don't tell people how effing rude they are, they will continue to behavior. I will continue to tell people to STFU anytime I get this comment for the next 2 months, and you should too!

Edited to correct- she didnt ask how far along I am...she asked when I am due!!! Big difference!
    Totally agree it's time we stand up for ourselves. I had a similar situation with "friends" commenting on my massive belly a few weeks ago. I was a bit concerned so when I went to my next appointment I told the OB and asked if my size was ok. His exact words: "You have shitty friends. You are 30 weeks and measuring 30 cm. That's perfect! Don't listen to anyone who tells you these things". 

Love this doc!

BRAVO, Doc!!!
  • st3lla said:
    yogahh said:
    I was literally just logging on to tell about my experience getting lunch today...

I am at the deli, and the girl behind the counter goes "how far along are you". When I say "2 months today" shes goes "wow, that's a big one". I was calm, but told her " that is really rude". When she asks why, I told her she has NO right to comment on MY body. Pregnant or not. I mean, I wouldnt tell a fat person they are big, so why is it ok to tell a pregnant person the same? 

I know a lot of you have posted about similar experiences and I have to tell you, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. If we don't tell people how effing rude they are, they will continue to behavior. I will continue to tell people to STFU anytime I get this comment for the next 2 months, and you should too!

Edited to correct- she didnt ask how far along I am...she asked when I am due!!! Big difference!
    Totally agree it's time we stand up for ourselves. I had a similar situation with "friends" commenting on my massive belly a few weeks ago. I was a bit concerned so when I went to my next appointment I told the OB and asked if my size was ok. His exact words: "You have shitty friends. You are 30 weeks and measuring 30 cm. That's perfect! Don't listen to anyone who tells you these things". 

Love this doc!

I want your OB . . . Mine is cold, unfunny and comments that I should gain 250g every week . . . Some weeks it's more and some it's less but DH takes every chance he can to point out that my OB mentioned my weight . . . The funny thing is that last appointment I was up 4lbs in 3 weeks (which I get is a bit much apparently) she mentions the 250g thing AGAIN then tells me, almost in the same breath, that I and baby measure right for 32 weeks.  WTF Doc?! 
  • Went to the endocrinologist, and the nurse has told me twice now how her son and daughter in law would have had a baby the same time I'm due.
    I have no clue how to respond to that besides I'm sorry to hear that. Super uncomfortable.

She also asked if I was just getting done with work, or just starting. I said just starting, and she responded, you look like you need a nap.
    Uh, thanks?

I had a member of management tell me, "not trying to sound mean, but I was huge!" Of course, right in front of a crowd of people. 
    I looked at her, and said, well, that's what happens when the baby grows. And she kept on about it, not dropping it and people were sheepishly laughing, because it was so awkward.
    I literally walked away.

I have sent pics to my siblings randomly to involve them since I don't live near them, and they haven't seen me since Thanksgiving. And one of my sisters responded, "are you sure they're aren't two in there?"
    Uh, yes, I sent you the ultrasound pictures. I haven't sent a pic since then.
  • mumbolinomumbolino member
    edited March 2016
    Today at work: "oh my goodness! You are huuuuge!!!"
    ( by someone I haven't seen in months.)
    geeeeezzz... Thank you! That's great to hear... I haven't noticed .... 

Why can't people just shut the f.... Up and leave us alone with their useless and annoying comments!!! 

• I another person tells me that I "don't look pregnant from the back" I might freak out. I know it is meant as a compliment but it just skeeves me out. And does anyone look pregnant from the back?
    This has always been the weirdest "compliment" to me too. Who looks pregnant from the back? What does that even mean?
  • @laurenmdrn16 - I like it - I always divert "what's the name?" conversations over to a long discussion of ridiculous names, most recently which bread I should name my daughter after. Top contenders are Brioche and Ciabatta.

Also just came over after looking at all of yesterday's HDBD pictures to say that, maybe I'm just used to what a pregnant woman looks like now, but everyone looks so good - cannot believe how many "are you sure there aren't two?" and "you're huge!" comments people are getting. You all are looking good!
  • @Pascal86, with name trends these days, I totally wouldn't be surprised if people actually named their kids Brioche or Ciabatta! (I've seen worse names on the Baby Names board.)
  • Today the lady checking me out at Walmart asked me "What are you planning on eating today?"

"Ummm, I don't know...."

"Oh, when I was pregnant, I was always planning my next meal!"

I didn't realize this was a pregnancy related question at first. So random!
    Haha this is a first! Would have thrown me off too.
  • OK, so.......before babies. I was very small. I'm still kind of small and I'm pregnant with number 3. A lady at my church asked me how far along I was. I told her almost 7 months. She gave me the most disgusting look and said "I wish I looked like you when I had my kids". Like what???? Am I suppose to be huge just cause I'm pregnant? I think that's just as rude as tell someone they are fat!!!!!!
  • Kurrant said:
    Got my first weird one today...kindergartner says, "I hope you don't trip on your baby," as we were walking out to recess. Umm??? 
    Ok so I read this while very tired. My first thought was "Is he/she concerned the baby will fall out and you will trip?" This instantly made me laugh uncontrollably!  :D
    bahaha!! That's hilarious! 

I just said, "Well, the baby is in my stomach still, so my feet can still walk just fine." I wonder if she was thinking the same thing you were?! hahaha
  • kp90 said:
    OMG! I finally had a rude comment from a stranger.. well a patient of mine... who is kind of weird to begin with. So he starts off by telling my I should be taking care of myself and why was I walking around, blah blah blah. THEN he mumbled something and I said, "excuse me?" and he said "answer me quietly, watch my eyes" as I'm getting weirded out he looks at my left hand and says "Is that because you just didn't feel like wearing it?" meaning my empty left hand/ring finger...... First of all ASSHOLE. It's none of your business. Maybe I'm a single mom doing this on my own and don't need a ring on my finger!! Second, did you ever stop to realize pregnant women swell and can't fit into ANYTHING they did pre-pregnancy... including rings. Ahhhh... has me so angry. Some people need a damn filter.... or muzzle.
    OMG this is so creepy!!
  • wsgjmw1 said:
    My best one to date is the receptionist at my dentist asked me " soooo was it planned?"

sighhhhhh

Ugh! I HATE when people ask me that question. What does the answer have to do with anything?