May 2016 Moms

Comments from Strangers Thread

Re: Comments from Strangers Thread

• swaters14 said:
    Totally not a stranger, it's my MIL.... always walks through the door with some type of "oh you've gotten huge" "what's up chubby?"  She topped it off the other night when she greeted me with "Hey fatso!"

like foreal? At least I'm growing a human right now, what's your excuse? Does she think it's cute, or does her mind just literally not work at all....?

& let me make note, that this is my second pregnancy, and she knows I had a lot of issues after my first about gaining weight and it made me self conscious, so is this just her using something I told her against me to feel better about herself??? & I've gained less this go around than with my first! Psycho....
    This reminds me of one of my favorite comments from my previous pregnancy and one that my older sister LOVES to quote all the time!

My grandmother was visiting from Maine for my younger sister's college graduation and I graciously opened my home for her to stay over night. As MH was helping get her bags from her car, she ran up to me, grabbed my 5 month pregnant belly, *shook* it and said "Hey there, Fatty!" I was stunned as MH looked on in horror, knowing how my moods had been. He literally stopped in his tracks and froze! It was hilarious. I weighed my options, smiled and said, "Baby is happy to see you too, Grammie!" and went on with it. But now, every time my older sister sees me, she calls out "Hey there, Fatty!" It has become a running joke because my grandmother is constantly putting her foot in her mouth (like the time she asked our waiter who was clearly Middle-Eastern "Oh, do you know Ahmed?")

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • swaters14swaters14 member
    edited March 2016
    My thoughts exactly! wsgjmw1  
  • Well this isn't a "comment" really, and it isn't rude or mean but I figured this would still be the place to share. I had a lady in front of me at subway a couple weeks ago absolutely insist that she buy my sandwich because "the baby needs to eat" and she was genuinely upset that I didn't get a foot long sandwich but got a 6 inch instead. 
    How weird!
  • So, I had a little old lady approach me in the grocery store parking lot. She was super sweet though, just asked the usual questions then took my hand and wished me luck. I don't mind that. I was just surprised because I thought I could still semi-hide the pregnancy when wearing my winter coat - who am I kidding!!
  • swaters14 said:
    Totally not a stranger, it's my MIL.... always walks through the door with some type of "oh you've gotten huge" "what's up chubby?"  She topped it off the other night when she greeted me with "Hey fatso!"

like foreal? At least I'm growing a human right now, what's your excuse? Does she think it's cute, or does her mind just literally not work at all....?

& let me make note, that this is my second pregnancy, and she knows I had a lot of issues after my first about gaining weight and it made me self conscious, so is this just her using something I told her against me to feel better about herself??? & I've gained less this go around than with my first! Psycho....

My MIL says "You're HUGE!!" every time she sees me right now.  I'm tired of it. I think she means well, but enough already!  Nobody else in my life says that to me.

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• I've gotten a few comments beyond the typical, "you're huge!" lately. One was from a worker at Sam's Club who, seeing my son, asked if I was having a girl this time. When my husband and I told her we were having amother boy and our son will be thrilled to have a brother, she said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess they can't always be girls." Wtf!? DH steered me away quickly because I was giving her a death stare so all I could manage to say was, "I'm happy to have another boy, thank you very much."

The other comments were when I took DS to the zoo by myself this week. One after another, people seemed straight up shocked that a pregnant woman would take a toddler to the zoo without help. I lost count of how many people told me, "Wow. You're brave! Good luck today." Someone actually gasped when I lifted and held DS on my shoulder for a few minutes to get a better look at the gorillas through the glass. Umm. Really?
  • Okay I just had to add this..... I work in s hospital so I get to interact with Loyd of strangers. I was running around the therapy gym and one patient tells his therapist I must be mid pregnancy at most....no where near close to be able to birth a kid. An hour later an old woman busts out with "are you the one having twins" I was like....what just happened here?
  • @hellogoodbye2 - I got the exact same comment few days back!! Why people has to say such things  :/
  • A couple weeks ago:

"When are you due?"
    "I have about 10 weeks to go!"
    "WHAT? It looks like you are ready to go now!"

Thanks, lady. I already feel huge without your comment!
    I got the exact same comment few days back!! Why do people have to say such things  :/
  • I was just standing with an employee talking about his benefit enrollment and he stopped mid-sentence, pointed to my stomach with both hands, and yelled "baby!"

Um..yeah, I know.  Back to your thing though...
  • Aaaaand the comments from the church ladies have started.  My tally from Easter service yesterday:

• "You've really popped!"
    • "Wow, you're so big!"
    • "Are you sure you're not due till May?"
    • "Any day now, right?"

Uuuuuugggggghhh.  And I'm sure they'll still be *shocked* when I don't want to bring my baby to church for 2 months (at least).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I was walking through the store the other day when two women walking by asked "when's that baby due?!" I responded by saying "May 20". Their eyes got super big and one of them said "MY LORD! That's one BIG baby!" And the other said "oh my, I sure hope my belly doesn't get that big!". I walked away looking down at my belly thinking I never thought it was all that obnoxiously huge and the dr says I'm measuring perfectly. Thanks for the lowering of my pregnant-belly self esteem ladies! 
  • Speaking of catcalls. I work at a court house so I regularly see inmates come through for trial. They aren't allowed to make comments to anyone, but they sure stare REAL hard..So uncomfortable lol
  • wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    edited March 2016

Aaaaand the comments from the church ladies have started.  My tally from Easter service yesterday:

• "You've really popped!"
    • "Wow, you're so big!"
    • "Are you sure you're not due till May?"
    • "Any day now, right?"

Uuuuuugggggghhh.  And I'm sure they'll still be *shocked* when I don't want to bring my baby to church for 2 months (at least).

THIS! Pretty sure i got the SAAAAME exact comments at my Easter service as well.

• Speaking of catcalls. I work at a court house so I regularly see inmates come through for trial. They aren't allowed to make comments to anyone, but they sure stare REAL hard..So uncomfortable lol

Stuck in a box!

My work is also courthouse related, but instead of dealing with inmates coming in for trial I regularly have to go to an all male probation center where my clients are temporarily living.  I feel your pain.  Constant stares.  So uncomfortable!
  • Had my first bad one today. I was having my bridesmaids dress for my friend's wedding hemmed and went to the alterations lady I usually use, only I haven't been to see her in at least 6+ months. When I stood to the side and she saw my huge belly she goes, "ahh you're pregnant! Must be nearing the end... I could see that your face looks fatter." WOW THANKS. 
  • I got a comment over the weekend. "You look even bigger than when you were 40 weeks pregnant with your first." Thanks....
  • babyfmama said:
    Had my first bad one today. I was having my bridesmaids dress for my friend's wedding hemmed and went to the alterations lady I usually use, only I haven't been to see her in at least 6+ months. When I stood to the side and she saw my huge belly she goes, "ahh you're pregnant! Must be nearing the end... I could see that your face looks fatter." WOW THANKS. 
    oof, sorry about that

My parents came to visit this past weekend and like the first thing my dad said was "your face is puffy!"

THANKS DAD.

Then later he was trying to apologize and said "you're pregnant, your face is supposed to be puffy!" which is like, uh, not helping, but thanks for trying.
  • I had two ladies come up to me today at TJ Maxx and one was very nice, " Oh you're having a baby! When are you due? Good luck with everything" the other one " how much weight have you put on?" Uhhh can't you be nice like your friend?
  • edited March 2016
    swaters14 said:

What do you say when she says these things?  
    Come up with some comebacks so you can choose your own adventure:
    1. Shut any and all comments like that down immediately
    2. End the visit if she continues like that
    3. Ask her questions that make her have to explain the total awkwardness to you why she feels it is ok to comment on your weight and body in a negative manner every time she sees you. 
    How does your husband feel about his mom saying these things to his wife?

Mine also has had the rudest comment of anyone during this pregnancy and I have gotten a lot of comments since I am always out and about.  I addressed it and called her out (in which more offensive comments were made).  So I gave myself a blissful time out from any further communications.  Aggravation and stress aren't good for the baby. 
    In my case it was just the straw that broke the camel's pregnant back, if it was just a few mean spirited comments I could handle and write off.   
    I also got a book called Dealing with Toxic In Laws by Susan Forward and highly recommend it.

• @1mae2016 ugh, that is just so inappropriate on so many levels. Congrats on holding yourself back, that would have been the end of her if it had been me