July 2016 Moms
Options

Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

Starting this up as it seems like there are ladies who'd like to get ideas & support when you feel like your weight gain is getting CRAZY. Please everyone remember that we are purposely gaining weight for our LO and we all just want to have a healthy (maybe chunky) baby (or two)!

I am open to changing title of thread if anyone wants to.

Also: posting this lovely link here, thanks @dolewhipper

https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
Team green turned BLUE!
2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
Team green turned PINK!
Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

• Options
    Posting here and hoping to get some ideas. I was a long time weight watcher and runner but haven't been running because I was rather burnt out with it, then felt dizzy and tired for much of the first trimester. I think most of my weight gain is from stopping running and my metabolism crashing. My doctor mentioned at my last visit that she wants me to slow it way down and try not to gain anymore. While I appreciate her intent, it hit me hard as I've always struggled with weight. What I'm going to work on (after I get home from vacation) is just balancing healthy meals and trying not to eat junk like cookies and chips. Baby needs nutrients!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes please! I used to be a runner (pre wedding) but I blew out my knee during a half marathon the month of my wedding. Since then I was doing a lot of spinning and weight training but then I ended up gaining 25 lbs due to my hypothyroidism. Once my thyroid was under control I got pregnant that very month. My prethyroid/prepregnancy weight was like 125 or so. I'm trying my hardest to be loving and patient with myself/my body but I struggle. I have a terrible sweet tooth (I'm sure it's obvious from my posts) and I'm always tired. This week I've made it back to the gym twice so far. I will happily take any advice I can get!
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    Another runner here, or maybe I should say former. I haven't gone out on a run since Thanksgiving day. According to that calculator I have gained within range, but I feel huge. I will admit I'm not very good at staying away from carbs and sweets though I'm trying! I am afraid of how much I'm going to gain deeper into this pregnancy. The one thing I have going for me is I am consistently making it to the gym for bootcamp/strength workouts and I feel like I'm still able to work pretty hard.
  • Options
    Great idea. I'm about 15 pounds up at 19 weeks. It was almost all first tri because I was nauseous unless I was snacking ALL the time. With DD, I ran through 41 weeks pregnant. Then she was born and I found it really challenging to run while nursing a baby (used to run to start the day, but she was sleeping through the night young = way too uncomfortable and messy). I started 15 pounds heavier when I got pregnant this time too, so I feel huge. Some of my maternity shirts from last time already don't fit my arms or chest. :-(
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm really worried about weight because I started this journey overweight.  
    A couple things that I've been doing: generally following a GD diet.  I haven't even had my GD test yet, but I figured it would be better to start early and get used to it without the pressure of "messing up" in case I was diagnosed.  Eating small snacks every couple of hours.  This has been working great for me to control my nausea.  I eat a normal breakfast, snack throughout the day (essentially no lunch) and then a normal dinner.  Lastly trying to eat portion controlled healthy fats (hello avocado!).  I find fats keep me fuller a lot longer than protein so if I feel full I'm less likely to eat something that's not as healthy and more calories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    Here are some things that have helped me out.
    i check the pregnancy calculator weekly to make sure I'm on track. I keep carrots and celery on hand to fill me up when I just feel like snacking. I limit my sodium intake, otherwise I blow up like a ballon and retain a ton of water. I input everything I eat into my fitness pal. I never realized how many calories I really eat and how fast they add up. I noticed a correlation between my weight gain and my constipation so I've increased my fiber intake, take stool softners and occasional laxatives to get me going. I'll add more when I think of them. Obviously choosing nutrient dense foods is best way to use up your calories. It makes you feel better, makes you feel fuller longer and is best for the baby.
  • Options
    I am joining this thread. I adore this idea. I am actually under my PP weight by about 5 pounds.  However,  I started out in the Obese category. 
    I gained so much weight with my 2nd and I would like to prevent that from happening again. My CNM said that my goal would be about 20#. So 25 # left available for 19 weeks.  
    I am now starting to get so hungry,  and I want all the foods. I am glad I am craving meats and not sweets.
  • Options
    I'd love to join this thread. I'm about 5 lb over my expected weight gain per the above chart. I am mostly a healthy eater, but I have been awful at self control when it comes to snacking in-between meals, and I've had a killer sweet tooth.  My doctor mentioned during the last appointment that she isn't overly concerned but did want to see me at about 5-10 lb less than what I weighed in at. It's so frustrating!
  • Options
    @RideNRunMomma I've been walking and doing yoga. I was a slow runner to begin with, and once I started slowing down even more, I knew it would anger me so I decided to take a break from running. I wanted to feel good about activity, not bad! :) Walking really keeps me sane.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    megstervt said:
    I'm really worried about weight because I started this journey overweight.  
    A couple things that I've been doing: generally following a GD diet.  I haven't even had my GD test yet, but I figured it would be better to start early and get used to it without the pressure of "messing up" in case I was diagnosed.  Eating small snacks every couple of hours.  This has been working great for me to control my nausea.  I eat a normal breakfast, snack throughout the day (essentially no lunch) and then a normal dinner.  Lastly trying to eat portion controlled healthy fats (hello avocado!).  I find fats keep me fuller a lot longer than protein so if I feel full I'm less likely to eat something that's not as healthy and more calories.

My husband is tracking his micro nutrients and is always looking to add healthy fats into his diet. Along with avacado, hummus is a favorite for dipping my veggies and full of healthy fat. Pastashios are great for snacking and I'm obsessed with trader joes parsnip chips. Low carbs and calories and high in fat.
  • Options
    I've gained a little over 20 pounds at 23 weeks and it's really starting to bother me, even though I know it shouldn't. I haven't been the best at not eating sweets and my husband definitely don't help with his late night DQ cravings. I like the idea of using a food tracker, I'll start trying that out. I have just been trying to eat more protein-rich food, and it's finally warming up outside so I'm trying to go on walks every day. If I have any suggestions or find awesome healthy recipes, I'll be sure to share with you ladies!
  • Options
    Avocados, yes! I mashed one up today with some salt and pepper and ate some of it with triscuits. So good! 

@RideNRunMomma I'm jealous you're still running! I had big plans to run through this whole pregnancy but the fatigue in the first trimester got the best of me. I should just commit to running a couple times a week instead of complaining how I don't run anymore.   :p
  • Options
    elldelelldel member
    edited March 2016
    Ugh. Weight is such a touchy issue for me...but here goes. I started out in the obese category (though I was actively losing weight), and have already gained 18 pounds at 20 weeks. Most of that was in the 1st tri when all I ate was carbs because they were the only things that helped me when I was feeling nauseous. Now I'm starting to stress about my weight which is never helpful and doesn't go well with my body image issues. I try to eat a balanced diet (though I've been indulging my sweet tooth more than I should), but I literally have zero energy to work out, between pregnancy, teaching, and grad school. I'm trying to not beat myself up, but I also know I need to get my ass in gear. So as one of the mama's needing love and support, thanks for creating this thread!
  • Options
    I should say that my doctor is great and often will tell me to try and not focus on weight but still be aware of it. She knows what a sensitive issue it is for me, and I appreciate that. 
  • Options
    I want to ask the doctor, when they say try not to gain any more weight, "Is the baby eating my fat to help balance out the weight gain?" I truly do not understand how they want us to grow a baby but not any of the weight associated with pregnancy. I don't care how big or small you are, you are going to have to gain weight!!! Are they not taking into consideration how large our breast get throughout this process?!?! Like come on!! 
    Amen to everything you said, but especially this! DH was like, "I don't understand how you're gaining too much weight. It's not showing in your face, your hips, your butt or anywhere else. You're all belly and boobs!"
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    This is super timely! I just got a gentle scold at my appointment today. Up 20 lbs at 20 weeks, and 15 from my usual weight. I feel like I haven changed my diet aside from eating breakfast and adding an afternoon snack, but I gained 10 pounds in the past four weeks! 
    My plan is more yoga and cutting back on carbs when possible. I'm hoping this was just a little growth spurt and I'll slow down :-/
  • Options
    I am glad this thread was started :) Monday I started tracking my eating on my fitness pal (i set to maintain) and I started walking again 10k steps a day. Feels great! The last few mts I have been eatting whatever I want and being as lazy as possible :/ I have only gained 13lbs at 23 weeks but I was overweight to start (193 5"4 sz12) I was in this cycle of just eatting crap then feeling crappy for hrs til i ate more crap. Feeling great tracking and walking again :)
  • Options
    I think I'm up 23ish pounds at 23 weeks but I'm afraid to check the scale.

I not only have a history of eating disorders but I also had trouble losing weight after DS 1 due to sitting on my butt all day and night exclusively pumping and some ppd issues.  At every appointment I dread my ob will say something about my gain, not only because it will make me feel wracked with guilt but because there's so much futility in it--it's not like I can lose any of the weight I've already gained.  

So now here I am already at the weight that I was when I gave birth to DS1 but only 23 weeks into this pregnancy. My eating habits aren't good--too much ice cream and gummy candy--and it's so hard to want to change.  snacking on junk is what makes the most frustrating days as a stay-at-home mom bearable.  The good (?) news is that my stomach already feels cramped for space so I'm eating smaller meals.  Maybe that will slow down the gain!

I also hope that the warmer weather will make it easier to go for walks and stay active!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I love this board I'll be back when I am more awake to participate 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Up 24 pounds in 22 weeks. History of eating disorders; my weight has varied by sixty pounds in the last two years. After my last appointment's lecture about the difficulty of losing 'all this weight', I lost my appetite for a few days, but I'm getting it back now. At this point, I don't really want to slow my roll; I want to put a hit out on my OB's scale. I can't figure out how to do this properly without triggering myself, so that scale has clearly got to go; may it rest in piece.
  • Options
    I wonder if looking into a "Health At Every Size" approach might be beneficial to some at this time. Particularly if you have had disordered eating in the past or anxiety around your weight.  HAES really emphasizes intuitive eating and getting to know your body's hunger and satiate on signals. Ways to interact with cravings, and learning about how your body interacts with food. It can seem counter-intuitive at first but they recommend not restrictions because when you restrict you can end up eating other things to satisfy a craving and end up eating more than you would have if you just satisfied the craving, for instance.  Of course there is difference between recognizing a craving and eating mindlessly. 

HAES is a weight neutral approach, it us not intended for weight loss and actually discourages dieting. The emphasis is upon healthy behaviors and activites, and knowing your body. I have found it very compatible with pregnancy. If uou have body image issues or a history of dosrdered eating the temptation to restrict or obsess over food during pregnancy can be a real challenge. I like having a peaceful way to interact with my body and know I am doing my part to keep it healthy. Yoga and walking has helped too, it is another HAES principle is joyful movement.

Linda Bacon & Lucy Aphramor have a book called "Body Respect" that is good or you can check out the ASDAH website and blogs.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! More tips please!! ;)@RideNRunMomma I like your tip of snacking on carrots and apples which are low cal, my go-to snacks are cheese and nuts (small amounts) but I think switching that could help, more fruits/veg is always good... Also @Dubs1978 serious kudos to you for controlling GD with healthy eating, that is awesome!! I'm up 15lbs at 22 weeks which is a pound over recommended range and I will get back in that range! This week!! :) I have been exercising throughout... Running is getting a little hard, so I do spinning and yoga. My tips are... After an unhealthy weekend (or week), count calories for a few days just to get back in track. Even eating 2k+ cals adds up really fast! (And on those days I'm counting, I only eat dessert at night if I'm under). Also, I only drink water or tea when possible, so as not to drink my cals... I'm one of those people who would rather have ice cream than a glass of juice any day! Finally, I have one meal a week where I eat anything I want (usually out to dinner w my husband, sometimes out with friends if I know that's coming), so scaling back at other meals or skipping a snack doesn't seem so bad. Good luck everyone! We got this.
  • Options
    One of the areas in which I struggle is that I am out of the house for so long every day. I generally leave at 6 am and don't get home till 8 pm. During that time I am generally in my car a lot (I work a day job but then am a therapist at night). So I don't have access to a fridge or a heat source so I struggle to come up with something for dinner that can sit out all day. I end up stopping for food a lot which I know if awful for my weight, and my pocket book. (I also struggle with bringing enough snacks for the day since I eat breakfast at 5 am, but that is just poor planning on my part :smile: ) 

Does anyone have any suggestions on meals that do not need to be kept cold or heated up?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mandyjuliemandyjulie member
    edited March 2016
    mckcak23 said:
    One of the areas in which I struggle is that I am out of the house for so long every day. I generally leave at 6 am and don't get home till 8 pm. During that time I am generally in my car a lot (I work a day job but then am a therapist at night). So I don't have access to a fridge or a heat source so I struggle to come up with something for dinner that can sit out all day. I end up stopping for food a lot which I know if awful for my weight, and my pocket book. (I also struggle with bringing enough snacks for the day since I eat breakfast at 5 am, but that is just poor planning on my part :smile: ) 

Does anyone have any suggestions on meals that do not need to be kept cold or heated up?

Thanks!
    @mckcak23 Can you get a small cooler bag that has built-in ice packs? And can you put the cooler bag in the fridge at your day job all day, and then grab it and go? At that point it should be nice and cold for a number of hours. My DD uses a cooler bag lunch box, they don't refrigerate lunches at her school, and it always works quite well after having sat in our fridge the night before.

Then you could bring salads that maybe don't have "super perishable" ingredients. Just plain lettuce, tomatoes, few other veggies, and a protein like chicken or turkey (if you're OK with not heating turkey up...honestly there are so many other ways to get listeria that I don't worry about this) should last fairly well in a cooler bag. You can also bring along a small container with an oil-based dressing.

Another option is something like pita pockets or sandwiches with lettuce/veggies, cheese, other protein as desired. Then with it, fruit is always a good on-the-go item -- apples, oranges and bananas are super filling and easy to take with you. Grapes and strawberries in a plastic bag last pretty well un-refrigerated. Some crackers with hummus as another snack.
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    @Dubs1978 I totally echo the GD diet.  One of the best things that happened to me.  I still eat a ton, just in a different way and I actually end up loosing weight.  

• Options
    I am starting this pregnancy heavier than my previous pregnancy. Right now, at 20 weeks, I am the size that I was at 30-ish weeks with DD...and she ended up being born over 9 pounds (but was born at  41 weeks). I bought stickers for a workout sticker chart, and have yet to touch them....other than to move them from spot to spot in the house. I have SPD, so it feels like my entire pelvis is going to snap in half every time I move, and that is really limiting the amount of physical activity that I get during the day. I go through different phases, having one really healthy meal, and then eating a meal that is total crap. My goal this pregnancy was going to be to track my foods on the myfitnesspal app, but I have yet to do so. I guess that I have just gotten into a slump, when at 13 weeks I couldn't hardly move because of my pelvis. My biggest fault is not meal planning well (which I was doing really good pre-pregnancy), and that I am gone for about 12 hours a day. So I end up packing easy things to take with me, and then come home and it is a mad rush to try and get some dinner on the table, so I go for the easiest things to make. 
    I love this thread! I've been worrying about curbing weight gain in the past week or so....everyone has just great suggestions. At my 20 week appointment my doctor told me that she wouldn't worry about weight gain (15 lbs at the time) as long as I'm following a healthy diet and exercising. My exercise is 2 - 10 minute dog walks a day and a 30 minute walk additional. I wear at fitbit and it's my goal to get 10,000 steps at least 6 days a week. I feel pretty good about the exercise part.

My eating, however....in the winter all I want to do is eat comfort foods and I have a ridiculous sweet tooth! With the recent change in weather, I've been able to eat a little more healthful with firing up the grill and general attitude changes that come with the weather. I'm looking forward to conversations in this thread! My next appointment is the 15th...we'll see what the doc says then!
  • Options
    Hey ladies, just to offer some support, I was diagnosed with what I call "fake GD" with my first at 13 weeks. The clinic I was at used way stricter guidelines for GD than anywhere else does and made me do the full 3 hour test at 12 weeks because I have some family history of diabetes and then diagnosed me based just on a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar. I started the GD diet then and was super careful, low carb, no sweets, and exercised every single day of my pregnancy. I started out normal weight and gained 30 lbs.

With this second pregnancy we moved so I am at a different clinic that follows normal guidelines so I have no diagnosis and since I was pretty convinced I never really had GD to begin with I haven't been very careful at all this pregnancy, eating pretty much what I want and exercising when I can but not stressing. At 23 weeks I have gained the exact same amount of weight as I did the last time. 

Not trying to tell anyone they shouldn't try to eat healthy or exercise but just keep in mind your body may just need to put on a certain number of pounds and there is no amount of willpower that will stop it so don't stress too much! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm with you @mckcak23 long work days are a killer for meal planning. 

Lately I've been trying hard to walk or get in the pool every day. I have all the food cravings though 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I struggle with my dinner options and working out. I get home at 6:15 or so and it might not seem late but I'm exhausted! I'm never in the mood to cook/workout. I've been pushing myself to wake up early to go to the gym/ walk. I need to work on meal prep and sticking to it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    So yesterday I stuck to my myfitnesspal log and calorie intake. I noticed that it was a little harder for me to get my proteins in (but I eventually did), and that I needed to eat more often. Well, since I was at work, I had only packed so much food, and found myself hungry a lot. I totally spaced that eating healthier foods, I would need twice as much food to hit the calorie goal.....and didn't pack enough. Lesson learned, I packed twice as much healthy foods today. But I did notice that I felt a lot better yesterday than I have felt most of my pregnancy (I still have morning sickness), so I am wondering if that is because I am getting more protein (which I heard is good for if you have morning sickness), or because I am eating healthier (instead of just eating junk that sounds good). 

Looks like I am going to have to run to the store this weekend for a ton of healthy foods, to do a little test and see if eating healthier keeps morning sickness at bay....
    Thanks for this thread! And the link is amazing!

I had been exercising and then was off-and-on. Now, I'm right where I should be in terms of pregnancy weight gain (although it seems to fluctuate or remain steady then move) but I'm also starting to eat more so I don't want to OVERgain.

As much as I hated it and a big of a nuisance as it was, I think I'm going to have to start logging my caloric intake again...which also means more exercising. No excuses now that the weather has finally broken!
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    I just got back into exercising 2 or 3 weeks ago and then got hit with stomach flu. I lost 4 pounds in a day. Not the way to be going during pregnancy, but at least I had a few more pounds than I should have by now? It's going to be hard to get back on track for more with working out. I easily get discouraged with, well, I'm already off track...
    Pregnancy Ticker