July 2016 Moms
Options

Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

Re: Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

• Options
    I bought some non-maternity pants from old navy last year and was so excited about them cuz I loved the prints. Turns out they were see through.  :| have you done the squat or bend-over test yet with yours? I need some new workout clothes! 
  • Options
    Reluctantly joining this group...had a doc appt today and I gained 10 pounds since last month. I think I got so excited when I stopped puking daily that I went a lil crazy with food.... She said my goal weight gain for next month is 2 pounds.  I was like what?!?!?!?!  Guess I need to put the Girl Scout cookies down...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor's office doesn't care if I take off my coat or shoes and they've never said anything about my weight. Last pregnancy I had a month I gained 10 pounds and some when I lost weight. It all evened out I guess, but I almost felt like sometimes they should have said something (politely) in case I wasn't aware.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kellz14 said:
    @DrKariC How do you feel about the quality of the old navy active wear? I was on the fence on ordering some. Also, did you order your regular pre-maternity size?
    The old navy maternity compression pants/capris are very thick.  They feel like very high quality pants but they're sooo warm.  I can't imagine wearing them in summer.  They definitely are not see-through or camel-toe inducing.  I ordered my pre-pregnancy size M and they fit great, but take that with a grain of salt because I've already gained 23 lbs.

re: clothes/shoes at the dr.'s office.  my doctor is really indifferent--last pregnancy, i slowly started to shed layers/shoes to "cheat" the system, culminating with chopping inches off of my hair for one of my last weigh-ins.  (I really did need/want a haircut, but I admit that I thought of the possible weight loss implications!)  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    austinjl said:
    Reluctantly joining this group...had a doc appt today and I gained 10 pounds since last month. I think I got so excited when I stopped puking daily that I went a lil crazy with food.... She said my goal weight gain for next month is 2 pounds.  I was like what?!?!?!?!  Guess I need to put the Girl Scout cookies down...
    Don't feel bad! That happened to me right after first trimester. My weight gain has slowed down since then. All in moderation. You can have those cookies just make sure you're going for a walk or doing a quick workout. Just don't be so hard on yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    Following this thread.. I have absolutely no self control. I will have a great day and then go home and eat a pint of frozen yogurt. If I don't keep the stuff in the house it's much better but I just can't resist it sometimes.

I'm hoping as the weather gets nicer I can keep active and do lots of walking. With my previous pregnancy I didn't stay active at all and it definitely made my recovery harder. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    @KJ1416 I had when I did I started to slow my pace and make sure I was increasing my water. I just walk now but that is mainly because of my hip issues I think as long as the cramping subsides and you had been running this pace before you were pregnant you should be okay. All our organs are playing Tetris so I'm sure some cramping is normal :) 

also on an unrelated note I said no to pizza tonight and ate fruit instead I feel this is a pregnant victory ! 
    Organs playing Tetris sums it all up perfectly. I'm totally stealing that, @Lindsayleigh1989
  • Options
    @sboston06 OMG!  I would have had a terrible day too!  I'm so glad you were brave enough to try another scale. I had no idea bad batteries would cause that kind of error. However, if my batteries had the opposite problem and kept the my weight down...hmm...maybe I would keep them!
  • Options
    @sboston06 omg that does sound like a scary story! Glad everything was ok. I should check the batteries in my scale too. I apparently gained 2.5lbs in 24hrs right before my doctors appointment. I was worried that I gained a ton of weight since my last appointment....according to the doctors scale I only gained 2.8lbs the entire month. Whew!
  • Options
    The nurses at my doc's practice also do not seem to have a system for weigh-ins... They generally don't want me to take anything off (winter coat? winter boots? no?) so everytime I'm wearing something a little different and I don't think I can trust any of their readings... Last time it said I had gained 9 lbs but the doc didn't seem concerned after she eyeballed me (very scientific hahaha). That being said I know I'm gaining somewhat too fast (probably almost at +20lbs at 25w)

Anyway this week the things I felt good about eating both in terms of taste/cravings and health included: egg white omelettes (with various fillings: sauteed mushrooms are a good one), the activia coconut/vanilla greek yogurt, bananas (1-2 day), fresh cut mango, cream of wheat (not the sweetened kind, the regular kind with a bit of butter and some agave syrup, roasted turkey breast from trader joe's... Also ate lots of things that weren't so good for me but I don't need to list those!! Thanks for the suggestions everyone :) 
  • Options
    What a terrible week... I fluctuate between feeling a-OK with my weight gain and then having a mini-meltdown. I am at 24+4 and I have gained just about 25lb, which is a 20% increase of my PP weight and the lower end of the max recommended total gain for me (25-35lb total). I've still got 16 weeks, I don't want to gain another 20lb!

My last day at work is the 31st, so I'm hoping after that I will do a lot less boredom/anxiety eating and a lot more exercising. I definitely don't eat as much when I'm at home, as compared to work where it's breakfast + snacks at 10am break + full lunch + snacks at 3pm break + full dinner. I'm mostly eating healthy stuff, but I just want to eat all the things all the time and I'm so wiped out after work that I can't even fathom forcing myself to exercise!

• Options
    PugsandKissesPugsandKisses member
    edited March 2016
    So I ate the most delicious breakfast this am. It was a muffin, with eggs, with alvacodo and sour cream. I am sure it was high in calories but also in good fats and so much protein.  I felt amazing after it.
  • Options
    I'm following along. I lost weight first tri and gained it all back, so last apt I was at pre preg weight. The problem is I never lost all of the 50+ lbs I gained with DS. Thankfully my OB never has said anything about my weight, but I want to be careful this time around. 

My sweet tooth is bad though! I'm trying to motivate myself to walk and eat smaller portions. One step at a time!
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    Going to venture to Trader Joes today.  My staples there are cookie butter and 2 buck chuck...so that's out LOL.  What else do you guys love from there?  Looking for meal or snack ideas!  Meat has been hard for me lately, but I'm enjoying spicy-ish things and lots of fruit.  Ideas?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    @megstervt I LOVE Trader Joes! My favorite things to grab every trip are the organic low sodium tomato and red pepper soup, sweet & spicy pecans, inner peas, quad hummus sampler, frozen pizzas, frozen salmon, organic tricolor quinoa, ezekial bread, canned organic coconut milk, cashew & almond butters, salsa & quinoa black bean chips, dried organic mango, frozen fruit for smoothies. I also like some of their candies - caramel sea salt quinoa jumbles are to die for! Have fun!!
  • Options
    @megstervt I live on the classic Mediterranean hummus and the cilantro jalapeño one! That one is fresh and spicy, really good with just about anything dipped in. My personal favorite for dipping are the little Persian cucumbers, I'll just eat the whole container in one sitting haha. 
  • Options
    Hey all, venturing in here for the first time. At my last appointment in mid-February I had only gained about 6 lbs (20 weeks then). Fast forward to this past week and I suddenly ballooned up! I gained nearly 9 lbs! This was interesting since I had weighed myself out of curiosity a few nights before and was only up 3 lbs. so the doc said my goal is to gain no more than 2 lbs in the next month. I'm usually pretty good with lunches and dinners but the past few weeks I have eaten out more often than usual and had more sweets than normal (it's my weakness), so I will be cutting most of that out.

What I'm having the hardest time with is exercise. I was working out regularly up until my first tri (too sick and tired). Then was amount up again and then was diagnosed with a hematoma and told I can't do anything more than necessary. Last week I was told I can start going on walks again since there hasn't been any more bleeding but that's it. I feel like a lump without going to the gym! 

On that note, I am up for suggestions on healthy sweet snacks for at work. That way I don't snack on what the kiddos are eating haha
  • Options
    @schmooie730 apple slices with cinnamon and sugar or dipped in Greek yogurt has been my go to for dessert.  Not a gooey brownie by any means, but it's been satisfying me.  I like Empire apples best, but really whatever your preference would work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    mamafox14mamafox14 member
    edited March 2016
    @Schmooie730 my go to snack is a Greek yogurt or veggies and hummus and salsa. My personal favorite snacking veggies are green beans, snap peas, carrots, and cucumbers. 
  • Options
    So after my appointment this week, I'm up 20 lbs in 24 weeks. I didn't lose any weight during first tri, but I didn't gain any either. My midwife didn't say anything, and honestly, I'm not seeing extra weight besides belly & boobs, so I'm trying to relax. I exercise 3-4 days a week, I eat generally very very well, but if I don't eat every 2-3 hours I get dizzy and weak. So idk, maybe my body just needs to gain this much for some reason? I should be in the 25-35 lbs total gain group, so I'm kinda hoping I can slow it down as I hit the 3rd trimester - maybe as my stomach gets more squished I'll eat less in each sitting? I'm cutting out all non-water beverages and switching my before bed snack from cereal to another(small) serving of healthy dinner. Hopefully that helps!

I have never been a person that can live on salads for any meal though, I literally never get full/satisfied on them. But I do eat a bunch of veggies. I'll figure out something to slow this down I hope!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lolomommy1lolomommy1 member
    edited March 2016
    Thought id share some healthy snacks I love...

The light string cheese. It's healthy and is good paired with apples, or some crackers or almonds. 

Fage 2% Greek yogurt. I eat it plain, or with apples. I'll mix some ranch dip seasoning packet in with it and eat with veggies.

Low-fat or non fat cottage cheese.

Whole wheat tortilla with black beans, a ton of lettuce and salsa and cheese or Greek yogurt.

I get big boxes of salad mix, nuts and craisins, light vinegerette and good feta or blue cheese and make it easy to whip up a salad and put chicken or tuna or whatever I have on it.

Eggs, wheat toast and Turkey Sausage.

Wheat toast and peanut butter

Avocado and toast with salsa.

Fresh berries plain or with low fat cool whip.

Hummus with Persian cucumbers

Fava beans simmered with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and eat with Persian cucumbers.

• Options
    EmilyBites.com has really been saving me. She does comfort food recipes that are low calorie. Pizza casserole, pizza egg rolls, muffins.... Everything I have tried from her site has been delicious. 
  • Options
    I'm trying to eat healthy fell of the wagon though this past weekend as it was our anniversary and we ate several times but trying to eat well and eat in moderation if what I'm eating isn't amazing 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I appreciate this thread, but at this point I'm not sure that I'm trying to "slow" my weight gain anymore. I mean I'm also not trying to just go crazy and throw caution to the wind and eat whatever/whenever I want either.  Trying to get in walks/exercise when I can and make at least semi-healthy eating choices when I can.  But when I don't I'm not going to beat myself up over it either. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but what I'm trying to say is that at this point I'm just expecting to gain weight. Kuddos to all you mommas-to-be who are trying to stay fit though! This pregnancy seems much more exhausting than my last!
  • Options
    Today is finally a win day health wise. Walked over 2 miles this morning with a friend, and have avoided all sugar and grains (think Whole30 style). I may have rice with dinner though. 
    Smoothie, jimmy johns unwich, baked sweet potatoe, olives, cashews, and now chicken + mushrooms and green beans for dinner. 

Good days motivate me to stay on track
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    @stellaluna14 that is awesome way to go! Can you share some motivation with me? 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Since my little scale freak out last Thursday my weight has been totally stable. I am hoping this sticks around until Tuesday (my next appt) so I can finally have a gain of less than 5 lbs between appointments! 

I'm still up about 25lbs in 24 weeks so I'm above the recommended gain and need to slow things down. Last appointment my doctor told me she didn't want me gaining any more weight this pregnancy (which is unrealistic but I'm trying to slow things down a little and focus on being healthy rather than "dieting").
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @stellaluna14 I was in really good shape last pregnancy, and I had a pretty good delivery. My pregnancy was a breeze. I went to 41.5 weeks (still running on the treadmill) and then was induced. I never got swollen or achy at all and think my body didn't feel pressure to get baby out of there. Taking care of a toddler, I have not taken care of myself nearly the same. I was not working out whatsoever when this baby was conceived, started 20 pounds heavier and already have back and hip pain. Ugh.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Hey ladies - I'm back after a short hiatus.

I had a dr. appt a few days ago and discovered I'd gained 11 lb since my last appointment... honestly, I wasn't surprised because I had been eating like shit. I decided I'm going to really try hard to eat better. I realized the best way to handle this is to not keep junk food in the house and that's been working out well. 

My main meals have been pretty healthy; where I struggle is snacking. I would eat a box of sour patch kids or a pint of frozen yogurt, for example. Going forward for snacks after dinner, I'm sticking to yogurt and fruit. Also, I discovered Silk cashew or almond chocolate milk has been a really great way to satisfy my sweet tooth. 

I love reading this thread and knowing I'm not the only one struggling with this. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    My DH has been away for three days on business and I have discovered that I eat really badly when I don't have a witness! Also couldn't be bothered making a balanced dinner for one, so it's been shit shit shit. Trying not to be too hard on myself but there are definitely pangs of guilt going on here.
  • Options
    I've been traveling for the past week, but I'm actually mostly proud of how I've done: lots of walk, not the worst meal choices possible, good snack choices. With all that being said, I'm dreading stepping on the scale when I get home. I feel like even though I've been doing better, I'm still going to have a massive gain. My belly is humongous!
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    @MrsRo731 - I hear ya :(  That has been my method too. Meals are generally very healthy but all my snacks were junk. In the past couple of weeks I've really tried to clean that up and only have a few treats. Like you, I would eat a whole (large) bag of sour patch kids, or have a lunch dessert and a dinner dessert! Now I'm trying to limit it to a couple of cookies or a candy bar per day (which is still a lot to be honest, but it's progress not perfection).
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @sboston06 I like your strategy.  We bought literally pounds of candy for DS' birthday three weeks ago and had tons of leftovers.  I've been snacking mindlessly on it plus eating ice cream every night.  I don't want to cut out sweets entirely, but some limiting is definitely in order!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    MrsRo731 said:
    Hey ladies - I'm back after a short hiatus.

I had a dr. appt a few days ago and discovered I'd gained 11 lb since my last appointment... honestly, I wasn't surprised because I had been eating like shit. I decided I'm going to really try hard to eat better. I realized the best way to handle this is to not keep junk food in the house and that's been working out well. 

My main meals have been pretty healthy; where I struggle is snacking. I would eat a box of sour patch kids or a pint of frozen yogurt, for example. Going forward for snacks after dinner, I'm sticking to yogurt and fruit. Also, I discovered Silk cashew or almond chocolate milk has been a really great way to satisfy my sweet tooth. 

I love reading this thread and knowing I'm not the only one struggling with this. 
    I am eating the best I have eaten my whole pregnancy, tracking my food, etc.....and I still gained 10 pounds between my appointment 7 weeks ago, and my appointment yesterday. I am gaining faster now that I am actually doing positive things with my diet, than I was when I was eating crap all of the time to fight nausea. 

When it comes to your ice cream, get some greek yogurt that has low sugar in it, and freeze it. It will make you feel like you are eating ice cream. ;)
    I'm eating tortilla chips while reading this...oops! I mostly haven't been as hungry as I was earlier in the pregnancy, so my weight gain has really slowed down anyway. I honestly haven't worried too much about what I've been eating. I feel a little guilty because I followed my Bradley class's recommended diet last time, so this baby's not getting the same nutrients. I am taking my vitamins, but vegetables mostly haven't been appealing to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker