July 2016 Moms
Options

Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

123457»

Re: Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

• Options
    @Nikko Blue Yes, last time I was right on track until third tri and then it shot up a lot. I did stop being as careful about what I ate since I felt like I was already huge though. This time I actually gained a lot first tri snacking on carbs all day trying to curb nausea. I was eating like every 90 minutes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The same happened with me...gained maybe 2 lbs for three and a half weeks then BAM gained a total of 6! Luckily the dr I saw last weekend was fairly happy with my overall weight gain and said there was nothing to worry about
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 'diet' routine is also based around my appointments. The week right after my appointment I eat anything and everything, then the week leading up to my appointment I am way more careful.

At 27 weeks I am almost at my max 'healthy' weight gain. I am wondering if any STM's noticed if their weight slowed down at all in 3rd trimester? I definitely don't feel as hungry as I did in 2nd trimester...I am hoping I can slow things down in the 3rd....
  • Options
    @slorbets I was one pound shy of my max at my 28 week appt. I'm dreading getting on the scale at my next appointment. My dr has never said anything about my weight gain. But as close as I am to the end I can't stop thinking about how I still have 10 weeks to continue gaining weight.  :(

I have felt myself feeling full quicker from eating and drinking, but the hunger hasn't tapered. So I eat anyway and get extremely uncomfortable.
  • Options
    My appointment is this afternoon and I'm freaking out. It's the only afternoon appointment I've ever had - how can they compare this weight with my morning ones?! I've gained like 6 pounds since my last appointment so I have a feeling I'd get scolded no matter what time of day... but still, I want them to know it's 6 pounds and not 10!

@slorbets I'm creeping up to my maximum weight gain too, but it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all for me. If anything, it seems to be getting higher, faster! I've really sort of given up at this point. If I gain 50 pounds, well, it is what it is. I'm at about 28 pounds now and at this rate, it seems more than likely I could hit 50 in the next 9-11 weeks.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    @Racso12 I was just thinking about that this morning!
  • Options
    I have my appointment tomorrow.  I'm drinking my metamucil tonight and wearing exactly what @sboston06 is (plus some lightweight sandals--no sneakers).  I haven't been able to weigh myself since my last appointment because my scale is in storage while we're trying to sell our house.  i just know it's going to be a lot though!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm in the camp of eating whatever I want the week after my appointment (and maybe the next couple weeks) and then trying to be good for the last week after having an "oh shit, I gained 10 pounds" moment 3/4 of the way through the month. I'm thinking with the transition to appointments every two weeks, I'll be more well-behaved... back to my pre-pregnancy one or two treats per week instead of eating with reckless abandon. I have my appointment tomorrow, and I'll be wearing a very light-weight dress and nothing else! If I can be good and stick to the 0.5 pounds per week for the rest of pregnancy, I might actually stay within the healthy weight gain limit. Unfortunately I am not one of those ladies who gets a full stomach on 6 bites of food like a lot of bumpies have mentioned on the symptoms thread. I can still easily put away 1/2 to 3/4 of a pizza and not feel too full afterwards. This girl loves her cheese, dough and sauce!

I need to start doing food prep with either DH or someone else on the weekends. I definitely have no energy whatsoever to do more than heat something up on the stove in the evenings at this point. Luckily DH doesn't care where dinner comes from, just as long as there's a plan that involves eating before 7pm, so I've been doing carry-out for the past few nights. Planning on continuing that trend for at least tonight - I see another salad (and no dessert) in my near future.
  • Options
    @soberkfell I totally hear you on not getting full! I wonder if all my other organs are squished except for my stomach.
  • Options
    joleri23 said:
    @soberkfell I totally hear you on not getting full! I wonder if all my other organs are squished except for my stomach.
    Add me into this camp. 

I am starting to wonder if my stomach actually dropped and the baby is in my lungs area...hidden behind my rib cage. That would explain why I am always short of breath, but can eat a good amount without feeling full. My pregnancy belly, is really just my stomach.....in my actual stomach area....ballooned out from food. 

April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @blissylissy86 @Lindsayleigh1989 me three! Everything was going great for me up until third trimester. My doctor even commented on how well I was doing. But now I can't seem to keep it under control. I feel like I gain 3lbs just from eating a salad lol...
  • Options
    My doctor forewarned me at my 28 week appointment that I can expect a spike in weight gain since this is when we gain the most fluid volume. So it's not necessarily fat we are gaining, but blood, amniotic and other fluids. It sucks to look at the scale, but at least she warned me so I'm not freaking out as much. I gained 8 pounds total at the 26 week appointment and then gained two more by the time I was back for the 28 week appointment. I am not looking forward to rest of this pregnancy if it's a pound a week (or more)!
  • Options
    What @LadyFleck said! I am hoping to keep it to a pound or two a week from here on out, but this is the time when weight gain is supposed to spike. When I was in nursing school, we were told normal weight gain for a woman of healthy weight was 4 lbs in first trimester, and 12 lbs each in second and third trimester!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    This is all good to know but a little scary! I feel like I get scolded at every appointment and now that they'll be every two weeks, is it going to get worse? Ugh. Are you guys feeling less hungry? I don't think I am, I'm still always hungry!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    @Kellyj103 - I think my stomach fills up faster, plus I don't want to get heartburn so I don't eat as much. But I get hungry sooner than I used to so I end up eating frequently.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @Kellyj103 I still feel like I could eat pretty much at all times, and I don't feel full fast either... probably a recipe for disaster. I stocked up on healthy food last night at the store, so even though I plan to eat pretty frequently, I'll at least be making good choices. I was trying to just eat every 3 hours, but that's leaving me pretty hungry in the afternoons/evenings. As I lose my will power to eat well as the day progresses, this means I typically give in to my hunger and cravings and eat something crappy for dinner and dessert... and a lot of it. If I still gain the weight eating healthy options every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, hopefully that means it's weight I'd have gained regardless and that it'll come off shortly post-partum or when I'm done breast-feeding.
  • Options
    @ladyfleck At this point, most everyone is supposed to be gaining about a pound a week, so don't try cutting back too much. Of course, 2+ pounds a week every week is not great. I did pretty badly third tri last time. I think I gained closer to 2 each week. I don't feel like I'm eating much worse than normal, and am gaining mostly on track for now, so hoping the weight's mostly what baby needs.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ugh. I just came back from my two week and I am up 4 pounds. Doctor said that she would prefer 1/2 pound gain a week from here on out.  I am just below 30 pounds gained and that is a scary number. 
  • Options
    I could not believe that my OB didn't say anything about my weight at my last appointment, since it was 6lbs in 3 weeks! I have been steeling myself for the very real fact that I could gain 50lbs total. I'm at just about 30 right now, and with about 10 weeks left to go and gaining 2lbs every week... well, let's just hope I don't gain MORE than 50lbs.
  • Options
    Hello ladies so glad for this post! I really did not want to gain any more than 35 lbs with this pregnancy but not doing too well so far. I gained 50 with my first (15 yrs ago). I have been a calorie counter for about 5 years now. I gained a bunch of weight the first trimester bc I was so hungry and tired. At my 13 week Dr appt I had gained about 18 lbs from pp weight!!! According to the calculator I am 11 lbs over what I should be for 27 weeks. Since I got my appetite under control I have been counting about 1600 calories (not religiously). I have been gaining at a steady pace with that. I am 162 5'6".  I was afraid 1600 may not be enough but it is working well for me. I eat healthy most the time...limiting fried foods and sweets...lots of veggies and plenty of fiber and protien. Been craving potatoes for the last couple months now ;)  
  • Options
    Hello ladies so glad for this post! I really did not want to gain any more than 35 lbs with this pregnancy but not doing too well so far. I gained 50 with my first (15 yrs ago). I have been a calorie counter for about 5 years now. I gained a bunch of weight the first trimester bc I was so hungry and tired. At my 13 week Dr appt I had gained about 18 lbs from pp weight!!! According to the calculator I am 11 lbs over what I should be for 27 weeks. Since I got my appetite under control I have been counting about 1600 calories (not religiously). I have been gaining at a steady pace with that. I am 162 5'6".  I was afraid 1600 may not be enough but it is working well for me. I eat healthy most the time...limiting fried foods and sweets...lots of veggies and plenty of fiber and protien. Been craving potatoes for the last couple months now ;)  
    If clear the calorie amount with your dr as I personally can't say if it's enough or too little. Sounds like you are just doing clean eating which is good. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @sarahlouisea I was a die hard calorie counter when I got pregnant with DD and I knew exactly what I needed to eat to maintain and just raised the amount so I was gaining a healthy amount. It kept me almost perfectly on track until I got to third tri and let myself cheat all the time. BFing was a whole other story and I was so hungry I never bothered to count calories and I was afraid of affecting my supply anyway. I feel much more clueless about weight gain this time since I haven't counted calories since last pregnancy and I feel like it's just mostly wishing and praying. Haha. I think if you're gaining the amount you should be, counting calories makes sense.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @rnyland1 I think this would have scared me a few weeks ago but now I'm just embracing it! I'm all constipated again and I keep telling myself it's just water and backed-up loveliness.
  • Options
    rnyland1 said:
    don't want to scare anyone but last pregnancy I gained 10 pounds during one week in the 3rd tri ....my doc was like ummmmm wtf how is that even possible?? Was definitely just water weight though.
    Yeah, water weight. That's what happened to me during 3rd tri last pregnancy, too. I was very swollen and uncomfortable, but luckily it came off within a few days after giving birth. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    So I have been avoiding the scale all month so that I don't obsess over it. I have my OB appointment on Friday. I stepped on the scale to see what the damage was...I gained 6lbs in one month! WTF! I have been experiencing some swelling so I am sure some of it may be water weight, but I also have to admit that I have been hungry 24/7...so I have been eating a bit more than usual...and I may have had a bit too much ice cream this month too!