July 2016 Moms
Options

Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

Re: Ideas/Support/Love for Mommas Who Want to Slow Weight Gain

• Options
    @Kellyj103  I totally hear you. I had my appointment on Monday so I celebrated later that day by eating ice cream, French bread pizza, Doritos and Easter candy. Now I can't seem to get back on track! I used to just eat junk food every now and then without panicking about it. I wish I could just do the same thing while pregnant.

Just a few more months!
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    My nurse gently scolded me this week because apparently since I had an increased in ms I had lost some weight. It made me scared for my little one :/ and I'm trying so hard to stay within my weight gain window and curb my appetite. I swear it feels like you can't win ever in the weight department. Gain to fast? Get scolded, gain to slow? Get scolded ?! Where is the middle ground?! 
    Hey, you do the best you can. It's not like you're intentionally starving yourself or downing a whole box of twinkies! Don't beat yourself up over it. I felt so gross yesterday after I tried on some stretchy running shorts that fit me pre-pregnancy and couldn't even get them past my thighs, but I re-arranged the room so I can use the treadmill again and spent 20 minutes on it walking as briskly as my waddle allows and tried to make healthier choices for dinner (and NO dessert!). I have a prenatal this morning and I'm dreading the weigh-in, but at the same time I can't NOT look!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @joleri23
    I am the same way about 2-3 days before an appointment. I'm ok until it gets close then I start trying to figure out how to lose weight- which is as ridiculous as one could get while pregnant.

I have stopped getting on the scale. I have lost and maintained 80-100lbs (it varies depending on the time of year) over the past 5 years. The only way I know how to control it is by getting on the scale everyday. But the scale was just getting to be too much. It was controlling my daily outlook and making me upset every morning. DH finally took it away for a few days and I realized I really didn't to see where it was.

@Kaybee44
    I'm still running. I am doing half marathon in a few weeks. Right now I'm running 2-3 midweek runs of 4-5 miles and a long run of 8-12 miles. Some days are better than others. All of them are SLOW. I think I'm more "wogging" (waddling and jogging) rather than running, but whatever, it's movement.

My belt helps but I was still having horrible round ligament pain (lightening crotch). My doctor told me that after running to lay down with my legs propped up on pillows as high as they could go. It takes the tension off the ligaments. It has worked wonders! I've also started tightening the belt more to really "lift" my belly and that helps with feeling like I need to pee.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have not been great about the junk food. I have a bad sweet tooth normally, but since the second tri I have not been able to stop eating it. I have made my lunches larger and healthier and that seems to help but I still need that sweet at the end of the meal. Thankfully I have stayed within the 2 lbs that the doc wanted me to stay at til my next appointment. Hopefully I can keep that up til next Saturday at my appointment.
  • Options
    @Schmooie730 I used to never have a problem with sweets, and now it seems like I need dessert constantly! Something that has helped me a bit has been to keep fruit with me. It's not the same as ice cream, but it at least dulls down the aggressive need for something sweet after a meal.
  • Options
    @Schmooie730 - I was having the same issue; I would binge on any sweets I could get my hands on. I stopped buying things I knew I couldn't control myself with like ice cream, candy, etc. I still have something sweet after dinner, but I usually keep it to yogurt, fruit or frozen fruit bars. Stonyfield makes a really good chocolate yogurt which has been amazing. I also sometimes have a glass of chocolate almond milk which helps my sweet tooth.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    @MrsRo731 yep I got on that chocolate almond milk train recently and it is amazing.  Great for smoothies.  Anyways, I usually do pretty well during the day while I'm at work eating wise. But then the evenings come and I eat nearly everything in sight.  No control at all.
  • Options
    When I am having a sweet/ chocolate craving, I find that chocolate milk can help. Obviously it isn't the healthiest choice, but at least it contains calcium and protein ☺
  • Options
    My excercise has drastically diminished this pelvix bone pain sucks! I know I need to do it but man hard to want to do something you know hurts haha
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    KJ1416 said:
    @Kaybee4 I was having a similar problem a few weeks ago. I know you said you are wearing your running belt, and that is what helped me. If I start to feel a little weird I just walk for a bit. If you look back at March 15th on this thread several bumpies gave me great advice!
    Thank you! I have been doing a run/walk pattern with the belt that helps. I'm hopeful to keep run/walking for 30-45 min 3-4x a week for at least another 6-8 weeks. 
  • Options
    @kaybee4 If by "running" you mean very slow jogging, then yes. I used to run and stopped with DD. I'm doing like 2 miles in half an hour now. My doctor approved my workouts, but that is as fast as I can go to keep my HB where she wants to stay safe. Last pregnancy I started getting sharp BH contractions getting into third tri while running, especially on an empty stomach or without drinking beforehand.
    Yeah, I think that's where I'm nearing, too. Last night I did 2.6 in 30 minutes and was pretty proud, lol. Funny how things change. My 5k PR is 25:01 from after baby #1. I can't imagine ever getting back there, but I know I will. 
  • Options
    You ladies still running are so awesome! I miss it so much. I had no medical reason for stopping, it just didn't feel as enjoyable as it did before so I've been walking instead. Can't wait to go back to it!
  • Options
    I definitely don't think I could run right now, so props to all of you!! Doing yoga once a week and walking is already kicking my butt... I did weight myself this morning and things are not slowing down (+30lbs since pre-pregnancy) as of this morning. I guess I'm going to start actually writing down what I eat, because I have this idea that I'm not actually eating that drastically differently from before... Either I'm not realizing it, or it's more of a metabolism thing... I have my next doc's appt in two weeks and she's been considerate about it, but I know I'll feel like I have to explain myself (grrr). On the plus side my GD test came back negative (I was told I could eat beforehand - I had a high protein breakfast with egg whites - but not eat/drink after the Glucola - it was relatively less bad than I expected). Also thanks to whoever suggested spinach in smoothies in one of the threads, that's been lovely :) 
  • Options
    mamafox14mamafox14 member
    edited April 2016
    @Serpica writing down food can be helpful. I'm not so concerned with gain as I am with protein so I wrote down everything I ate for three days with the goal of eating 80 - 100 grams of protein per day. It helped me stay accountable and I made my goal each day because I was tracking as I went, that way I knew later in the day if I needed to step it up or if I was close to making my goal. Also, as my midwife told me, if you are eating that much protein you won't have room for a whole lot else, which curbs the bad snacking habits. 
  • Options
    Mmm that's a good idea @stellaluna14 because I definitely don't want to get into counting calories... protein it is!!
  • Options
    I just went to the doctor who got on me about my weight gain again. My doctor isn't trying to be mean and she's not trying to be discouraging but I feel so defeated. I feel like I fell of the wagon a bit. I definitely don't have any of that second trimester boost of energy, I just feel tired. I manage to get to the gym at least three times a week but our dinners suck. We both get lazy when it's our night to cook and end up making easy but not so healthy things. Does anyone else have this dilemma? Also, my doctor told me to lay off the fruit because apparently a lot of my go to snacks are bananas and grapes which are high on carbs. I feel so fat shamed I ended up giving away my "unhealthy" snacks to a homeless person on the street. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    @stellaluna14 i agree that tracking protein sounds like a great idea.  counting calories is not something i want to do either. thanks for the suggestion!

i am up 30 lbs too and I'm so embarrassed.  Because things were crazy in my ob's office on monday, I didn't get weighed until after the doctor had already seen me.  I feel like I cheated the system!  At least I have only 2 weeks between appointments now.  Maybe I won't gain much? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Kellyj103 said:
    I just went to the doctor who got on me about my weight gain again. My doctor isn't trying to be mean and she's not trying to be discouraging but I feel so defeated. I feel like I fell of the wagon a bit. I definitely don't have any of that second trimester boost of energy, I just feel tired. I manage to get to the gym at least three times a week but our dinners suck. We both get lazy when it's our night to cook and end up making easy but not so healthy things. Does anyone else have this dilemma? Also, my doctor told me to lay off the fruit because apparently a lot of my go to snacks are bananas and grapes which are high on carbs. I feel so fat shamed I ended up giving away my "unhealthy" snacks to a homeless person on the street. 
    Dont be discouraged! I agree with your doctor about the high sugar fruit.  Normally my body can handle those kind of carbs when im not pregnant, but when im pregnant if I eat anything with a high carb/sugar content, I pack on the pounds.  I think it is common for your body to use insulin differently in pregnancy, even if you dont test for GD.

Dont be discouraged though, I know how shitty it feels when the doctors get on your case!
  • Options
    hreed7289 said:
    My doctor told me to stop eating bread, pasta, and pizza.
    This exact sentence is what I'm afraid of! I just started keeping a food log this week to show to my doctor in case he says anything at my next appointment about weight gain (which, by the way, is the only appointment I've ever had in the afternoon so I will be quick to point out that it's not fair to compare that weight with all my morning ones!). I want to show him that I'm not eating anything ridiculously bad. Maybe I just have a lot of amniotic fluid...?

I really can't wait to go back to eating the way I want without judgement.
  • Options
    @erin7264 sounds like you're doing everything right. And growing a human! 

• Options
    I've given up on running and taken up staying up late to watch baseball every night instead...thankfully my appetite has slowed. I don't think I've gained more than a pound or two in the last 8 weeks and am actually wondering if I should worry about gaining more. I definitely gained too much first tri though, so I don't know if it just averages out or what. Last time the doc just said weight gain looks good, which was the first time my weight was ever mentioned (including last pregnancy). My eating could definitely be better though. I was so good trying to have a healthy balanced diet last time and this baby...not so much.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @erin7264 sounds like you're doing everything right. And growing a human! 
    @elenabrent of course I opened my big mouth and then had a handful of marshmallows and a couple mouthfuls of whipped cream (straight from the can) for dessert. 

I'm actually really dismayed that I'm running out of clothes to wear. And I don't mean pre-pregnant normal clothes, I mean the maternity clothes that I bought at 10-12 weeks that were too big and baggy are now getting to be too tight. I can survive at home in PJ pants and DH's sweatshirts, but I wanted to cry yesterday when I tried to get dressed to go to the store. My ass is getting huge, I don't feel good about this at all. However irrational it might be, I wanted to be one of those cute little pregnant ladies that stayed the same size and just had a baby bump.
  • Options
    @erin7264 I feel you on the clothes! I got clothes at Motherhood where the sales lady swore up and down that I the clothes would grow "with me".. BS! My shirt from my HDBD was baggy 5 weeks ago and now I feel like it's too small and hikes up because of this belly. My workout clothes don't fit. I am SO jealous of those ladies who just look like they swallowed a basketball, all cute. I just look round everywhere :( 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Kellyj103 It sucks even more that we will all be super huge when summer hits, because I love shorts and tank tops weather and I live in flip flops all summer... but I'm already really self-conscious about my hips and thighs especially. My skin has stayed pretty clear, thankfully, but I feel super flabby and jiggly all over. My workout clothes don't fit either, but it seems ridiculous to go spend $100 on some new outfits that I will only be able to wear another 10-12 weeks (my EDD is 7/4, looks like I'm a couple weeks ahead of you!).
  • Options
    @erin7264 & @Kellyj103 If your clothes are not fitting anymore - which is bound to happen to ALL of us as we get bigger and bigger in the coming weeks - have you thought about trying thrift stores? I've found a decent amount of cute stuff for not that much money, and it doesn't feel as painful buying something for $5 or less when you know you're only going to be wearing it for a little longer.

• Options
    @joleri23 I've been to one thrift store and they didn't have any maternity stuff. I'm not sure I want to buy a lot more since we have so little time left. I think I've decided I'm buying a dress for my maternity pictures and/or my shower and that's about it. I'll try to work it out with what I got.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @joleri23 I've been hitting Goodwill on the regular, that's pretty much the only thrift store with maternity around here. And it's usually one single rack, maybe 20-30 items broken up into sizes. I've gotten a couple pairs of shorts and a dress last time I was there, but most of the stuff they get is pretty raggedy and worn out. 
  • Options
    @Kellyj103 & @erin7264 Bummer! I'm sorry your thrift shops aren't so cooperative. Just try not to beat yourselves up if your clothes aren't fitting. It's happening to everyone!
  • Options
    CorkySinclairCorkySinclair member
    edited April 2016
    I live in a college dorm and the dining hall is killing me. I just walked through on my way home from a meeting and came away with two giant slabs of pound cake. It's like I black out when I'm in there and don't notice that I'm jamming my face with curly fries. I am officially 5 lbs away from the weight i was when I delivered my first. With 14 weeks left to go. That escalated quickly. 
  • Options
    @whataboutscience I've had the same weight pause issue. I gained too much last month, so I just made sure I was eating healthy and now I haven't gained anything for 4 weeks. I was thinking about calling my OB's office tomorrow to ask if I need to be concerned. 
  • Options
    I'm feeling nervous as I get into the third trimester. It seems like I can eat well all week, have one bad day and gain 3-4lbs from it that never goes away! Is anyone else experiencing this? My hunger is getting pretty out of control and part of me wants to give up on trying to be stringent with my diet. 
  • Options
    @joleri23 Yes! I am experiencing this.  I was able to maintain my weight for three weeks and then the week before my doctors appointment I somehow gained four pounds and it is staying put.  Not sure what that is about.  I also find myself really relaxing the day/days immediately following my appointments and following a healthy diet much more closely when I am getting ready to go back in.
  • Options
    @hreed7289 You just described my pre- and post-appointment life perfectly! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, and I keep telling myself it's only going to be 12 more weeks (at the most)...
  • Options
    @joleri23 ugh this reminds me. My 28week appointment is next Thursday so I'm probably going to be "dieting" all next week. I CANNOT WAIT until after my appointment!!!
  • Options
    @rnyland1 Hooray for "dieting!" We get to have all the pain of watching everything we eat with absolutely none of the benefits of weight loss.
  • Options
    joleri23 said:
    I'm feeling nervous as I get into the third trimester. It seems like I can eat well all week, have one bad day and gain 3-4lbs from it that never goes away! Is anyone else experiencing this? My hunger is getting pretty out of control and part of me wants to give up on trying to be stringent with my diet. 
    Same thing happens to me. Happened with my first pregnancy too. Did well with weight in the 1st and 2nd tri and then 3rd tri my weight starts creeping up in spurts. I'm not worried about it, but it does stress me out before every appointment. I'm purposely trying to schedule appointments to avoid the midwife who commented on my weight gain during my first pregnancy. So far so good. 
    BabyFruit Ticker