March 2016 Moms
Options

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• Options
    I agree, empire waist is your best bet. It might be hard with a bridesmaids dress, but if you can find something with a little stretch that would probably be good. I would probably plan on one dress size bigger than your norm (or more). Six weeks after baby I've still been in maternity clothes both times.

• Options
    Try to put on the postpartum belly wrap.  I think it really helped me to shrink down my waist after delivery.  Not saying that I was back to my original size in 6 weeks but it helped to make me not look pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, I hadn't thought about trying to size the dress now (21wks) to estimate 6 weeks after baby.
    Im used to buying dresses to show my waist, so I was having a hard time thinking about what might work. It would be easier if it was still a bump! Then I could just show it off! But ill be showing off baby at that point, so its definitely worth it! :)
  • Options
    Just because your a first time mom does it guarantee that you'll tear? Is there anything you can do to prevent tearing, or lessen the degree?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Just because your a first time mom does it guarantee that you'll tear? Is there anything you can do to prevent tearing, or lessen the degree?
    Statistically if you don't you an epidural you have less chance of a tear... the science thought is that you feel more so you are less likely to push beyond what you can take at that moment.  That being said if baby has a giant head your screwed either way!

Also some of the newer practices suggest NOT getting an epistemology.  A natural tear isn't as easy for them to sew up but they tend to be smaller than getting sliced and tearing further

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options
    @gabrielsmommy0301 Perineal stretching can be done by your partner to help prep.  You might look that up.
  • Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited November 2015
    DS1 I did tear.  DS2 I didn't.  DS1 was 6.15 and I pushed him out in 17 minutes, DS1 was 9.1 and I got him out in 3 pushes.  Honestly it's like stretch marks - if you're going to get them, you're going to get them.  If you're going to tear, you're going to tear.  And I don't think an epidural had anything to do it, although yes, coincidentally I had one with DS2.  I felt everything with pushing and the ring of fire - epidural didn't touch any of that, just the ctx pain. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    As previous poster said, statistically you are more likely to tear with an epidural. I would think the same for being induced, but I'm not certain. I had an epidural with DS1, and I did tear, but I also did not know this info at the time. 
    imageimage

• Options
    New question.. Looking ahead at dr appointment scheduling.. Next appointment is dec 2- I'll be 25w3d (I got off schedule and an extra appointment so I'm off). I can't go back at 29w or 30w due to holiday and travel. So I assume I'll go at 25 weeks, 30 weeks, 32,34, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40- based on what office has told me. This is my second baby, but I can't remember... I'll have glucose testing at 25 weeks I know- it's scheduled. And final sono at 36w. Everything has been normal so far- and assuming it continues.. What am I going to be doing at all these appointments besides pee in a cup and ask any potential questions. It's always exciting to check in, but does anyone remember doing anything else? Oh, and the strep b test, if they do that again... That's all I can think of.
  • Options
    They do strep b every pregnancy.  They'll do the weight, pee, questions, doppler, fundal height.  Later on they may check for cervical change, depending on OB/midwife preference (and if it's ok with you).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I've never heard of the epidural causing tearing. And in my experience I don't see it factoring in (had epidural with all 5, tore with 1). With the appointment question, I can't remember which appointment it is exactly but I know one of them near the end they usually do a quick u/s to check a few thing (size, fluid levels, etc.).
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    SarahFoley725SarahFoley725 member
    edited November 2015
    Now I'm confused because my OB said she has less tearing in first time moms when they do get an epidural. Also I have a dumb question. Does babies activity level in utero continue on after they're born? Or is there really no correlation between the two?
  • Options
    Now I'm confused because my OB said she has less tearing in first time moms when they do get an epidural. Also I have a dumb question. Does babies activity level in utero continue on after they're born? Or is there really no correlation between the two?
    Let's just put it this way.  DS2 ALWAYS moved in utero.  In fact his movements hurt me continuously.  He moves 24/7 now at 16 months and he's FAST - seriously can't keep up with the kid.  DS1 moved a lot but was a lot more relaxed - that's his personality on the outside too - he can be content to just sit there for a while.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Yes, I'd agree with @skruhmin on that. My daughter was the only "chill" baby in the womb and is still the most calm out of all of them.
  • Options
    Someone may have already mentioned this but I'm about 79 posts behind on this thread. Why is my baby kicking me in the butt? Has anyone else experienced this? I swear, it is the most odd feeling ever.

And my baby moves all day. I think we must be on the same sleep schedule. Looks like I'm going to have a maniac!
  • Options
    For the tearing I think it just depends on you and the "size" down there. For my first I tore pretty good, for a 3 lb baby!

However my dr. uses this "super" lube stuff (his words)- he delivered my friend's baby ( I was there), 8.5 pound baby and she didn't even need an episiotomy, and NO tearing!
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I read online about doing perinanal stretching and massages when it gets closer to delivery and walk around more?? dont know if that'll help but hopefully it does.
  • Options
    @lanatalia I got a couple of those kicks while I was peeing yesterday... It was the most odd feeling! And I've felt it here and there but DD1 was worse for it than this one lol.
  • Options
    cupcakeclarecupcakeclare member
    edited November 2015
    For STM+, has anyone gotten the linea nigra in one pregnancy but not another? I'm almost 23 weeks now and still don't have one. With my daughter, who is now 18 months, it appeared early and took over a year to go away.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've searched and can't find anywhere that this has come up so I am asking you lovely ladies.  

At my 20 week appointment after our A/S the doctor said that it looked like my fluid level was "on the low side of normal".  We had another ultrasound today, two weeks later, to check the levels and the tech said that the fluid looks "borderline".  Just wondering if any one else has experienced this?  They aren't currently diagnosing me has having low fluid, just on the low end.  Baby and I are measuring right on track size wise and he is breathing/swallowing fluid (we saw it in his tummy and bladder today) plus all his parts looked perfect both two weeks ago and today. 

Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated.  I am also drinking a ton of water daily, anywhere from 100-120 oz a day.
  • Options
    @cupcakeclare - I don't have an answer but I was wondering the same thing. I have yet to get it but did with DD. I'm just guessing maybe the line came later on than we are remembering.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I got the lovely dark line in both pregnancies, but much later with my first. I looked it up to make sure, but I got it around 24 weeks with my first and not until 35 weeks with my second. No sign of it yet at 23 weeks with baby 3, but we'll see!

• Options
    @yodapup that's probably it. Either way, I'd be surprised if I didn't get one again. Not the end of the world just wishful thinking. =]
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Does anyone know who I need to contact regarding out of pocket costs (after insurance) for delivery? Is the hospital? Or do I need to contact my insurance?

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Options
    SparkE82 said:

Does anyone know who I need to contact regarding out of pocket costs (after insurance) for delivery? Is the hospital? Or do I need to contact my insurance?

You can set up a meeting with the billing department at the hospital - they're very familiar with exactly what insurance will cover and how much your cost will be.  You can also talk to your insurance, but I would go to the hospital.  My midwife's billing actually went through something with me that showed a breakdown of my cost vs insurance with them (although it really didn't show the charges that the baby incur while at the hospital - as soon as they're born, they are treated as a patient so they get their own charges).

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    My insurance company helped a lot with my first.
  • Options
    skruhmin said:

SparkE82 said:

You can set up a meeting with the billing department at the hospital - they're very familiar with exactly what insurance will cover and how much your cost will be.  You can also talk to your insurance, but I would go to the hospital.  My midwife's billing actually went through something with me that showed a breakdown of my cost vs insurance with them (although it really didn't show the charges that the baby incur while at the hospital - as soon as they're born, they are treated as a patient so they get their own charges).

Re baby being own person... If baby is on mommas ins and normal some count as part of delivery... If baby is on dad's ins not mom's they are always they're own person.. wor th looming into

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up! We are still researching which insurance the baby will go on as DH and I both have our own insurance through our employers.

• Options
    i hate insurance. They mess up everything. But 1 point to mention as open enrollment is coming for a lot of folks. I'm on my husbands- same price for family or single, etc. he's Union and can't opt out. So basically I'm on it no matter what. The insurance offered at my work is $20 a month. So I opted in. So I have an 80/20 policy and a 90/10 policy, and bills so far are being 100% paid- my portion has been 0. Totally worth the $20 it cost us to double up for me- especially this year and next year. I know everyone's numbers are different, I might have got lucky here- but something to look in to, especially if u can double up coverage for a year and then drop if- depending on the cost. Something to think about.
  • Options

We both have the high deductible insurance. Its been great for me since I rarely get sick or need to see a doctor (until I became pregnant). DH has a lot of medical problems/medications and he usually hits his required yearly deductible in March or so. It will come down to how much more a year it is going to cost me to have the baby on my insurance instead of DH's. (His employer pays for his premium, while mine doesn't.)

• Options
    If you are baby wearing an infant (likewrap or ktan) and out and about on your own... how do you pee? Can you baby wear on the toilet? If you take the baby off where not on the nasty floor can you out them?

I think too much about things

• Options
    skruhmin said:

If you are baby wearing an infant (likewrap or ktan) and out and about on your own... how do you pee? Can you baby wear on the toilet? If you take the baby off where not on the nasty floor can you out them?

I think too much about things

Yep it's pretty easy to pull your pants down with baby still attached

This.
  • Options
    skruhmin said:
    If you are baby wearing an infant (likewrap or ktan) and out and about on your own... how do you pee? Can you baby wear on the toilet? If you take the baby off where not on the nasty floor can you out them? I think too much about things
    Yep it's pretty easy to pull your pants down with baby still attached
    It gets more exciting holding a 28lb toddler while peeing... then trying to pull your pants up...

But yes, it's ok to wear/hold LO while you pee.  At home, I found leaving the bouncer in the bathroom worked great for bathroom breaks and showering also.
  • Options
    Stupid question.. Do you still have crazy dreams? I still have complicated, weird dreams (and I always remember them in the morning). But I feel like my dreams were crazier in the first trimester. Do we get used to them, or do they turn into more "normal" dreams?
  • Options
    I'm still having crazy dreams. Actually more now than in the first trimester. Super trippy! Last night I dreamed that I gave birth to twin boys who started running as soon as they were born. Basically giving birth to toddlers. Lots of other crazy stuff happened, but I can't remember most of it (I usually have the sense 'that what such a weird dream!' But can't explain it to DH because I've forgotten it.
  • Options
    More questions! Lol you guys were so great to answer mine and are still answering my last lol so I am currently 23 weeks... How many months am I?!? Lol I am so confused by these pregnancy months! I don't even understand how they work! I'm assuming I'm still 5 months but according to some picture I saved from Pinterest I'm in my 6th month! Halp! Lol
  • Options
    Mcbb224 said:

More questions! Lol you guys were so great to answer mine and are still answering my last lol so I am currently 23 weeks... How many months am I?!? Lol I am so confused by these pregnancy months! I don't even understand how they work! I'm assuming I'm still 5 months but according to some picture I saved from Pinterest I'm in my 6th month! Halp! Lol

Is this an accurate picture?!?

• Options
    @Mcbb224 that picture would be accurate :)