June 2015 Moms

Feeding your LO...tips, concerns, complaints, and accomplishments! 8/3-8/9

Time for a fresh thread!

Re: Feeding your LO...tips, concerns, complaints, and accomplishments! 8/3-8/9

• LO projectile vomited on DH last night. She felt much better afterwards and had a restful night. Hoping it was just a monster has bubble that caused it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I started pumping a few days ago to start stocking up for when I go back to work.. Hate it. A lot. Hoping it gets better.

Also fed LO in the backseat of my car twice yesterday while we were out.. Not sure I'm ever going to be comfortable breastfeeding in public.. At least the seats in my car are nice and cozy!
  • LO has been fussier the past few days. MIL keeps suggesting I give home rice cereal every time I see her. I just ignore her; he doesn't need rice cereal at 6 weeks. Last night, DH started questioning if my milk was enough for him anymore. If he still has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, he's been fed enough, right?

My ped said as long as she at least wets one diaper after each feeding and keeps gaining weight she is okay! Obviously talk to your doctor if you're worried but I figure if my LO seems satisfied a little while after she eats she must be getting enough!
  • Has anyone had success using a hospital grade pump, after not expressing with a regular pump?
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• LO was refusing the breast all day yesterday. That led to pumping for all feelings. Now I think I have a clogged duct. It might also be from wearing my nursing bra. It's right where that "sling" hits. Today has been a lot better with feeding and she is mostly taking my breast.
  • We're 4 days in to supplementing 1 feeding/day with formula and LO hasn't pooped since Saturday night and she usually poops at least twice/day. I'm attributing this to the formula and trying to remind myself this can be normal but I still worry because I'm crazy like that.

Aside from not pooping, LO seems to be taking the intro to supplementing quite well. Ha.
  • Jurnee07 said:

Breastfeeding in public is becoming a little easier. Or it could be that I am starting to care less and less about who see my boobs. Successfully fed LO while wearing the Bjorn carrier at my nephews football practice

Nice!! I have the bjorn, I'll have to try that! I'm impressed.

I have breastfed at 2 restaurants so far. In booths. I'm a little nervous to do it anywhere else!
  • lately at feedings LO hasnt been draining the breast fully so they end up kinda solid by the time the next feeding comes up. no issue for me i am just hoping he is getting enough
  • katyqvkatyqv member
    edited August 2015
    Just curious... How much is your LO eating/feeding? How many weeks are they?

Eta grammar
  • Does anyone have tricks to getting their lo to drink pumped milk in a bottle?? My fiancée has been trying but she won't suck on it just gags or moves it around. Been trying to give her a bottle randomly since about 2/3 weeks old and now at almost 7 weeks she's still not really taking it.
  • @katyqv LO is 10.5 weeks and usually takes a 4oz bottle every 3 hours or so. He is in a growth spurt now, I think, because he seems to be hungrier. I'm basically feeding on demand, and he takes around 32oz in a day.

Pregnancy Ticker

• katyqv said:

Just curious... How much is your LO eating/feeding? How many weeks are they?

Eta grammar

@katyqv I was just wondering this as well because I feel like LO has been doing the same thing (timing and quantity) for over a month and I am not sure if it should be increasing? We feed on demand and she is gaining weight so I guess she's probably getting what she needs.

My LO is 8 weeks today and formula fed, so I'm not sure if that helps you compare. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day. At night she sleeps 7-8ish hours straight, so that's the one exception. She eats 3-4 oz each time.

She was eating pretty consistently every 3 hours during the day but the last week or so she's definitely been going through a leap and/or growth spurt and has often been hungry more like every 2 hours.
  • lwyzlwyz member
    edited August 2015
    Has anyone experienced cracked, bleeding nipples? Did you see the blood or just in baby's stool?

Edited for grammar. Words are hard.
  • Our difficulties lately have been spit up and upset tummy. I was getting concerned but know it's normal for a baby to spit up once a day.

Another issue is I'm noticing she isn't eating as much on some feedings. Maybe 5-8 minutes at the most on one boob and I never have to offer the other. She's still looking like gaining weight so not doing anything about it yet.
  • @swaugh14 yes! LO had the same eating habits for a while but is now starting to eat more at each feeding. After she finishes the bottle (I'm EP), she continues to suck but doesn't cry for more. I'm wondering if I should try feeding her more or is she satisfied/full since she's not crying? Oh, how I wish the LO could tell me what she wants so mama doesn't have to worry. 
  • aimeemb06aimeemb06 member
    edited August 2015
    Some soreness is typical in the first few days as your nipples get used to the new interaction but normally after those first days, those are symptoms of something a little off, it could be just getting baby latched differently or something bigger, like lip-tie or tongue tie. I would suggest getting with a lactation consultant so that you don't get discouraged! Breastfeeding should be comfortable for you and baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baby is almost 7 weeks. Breastfeeding on demand about every 2 to 2.5 hours during the day.. closer to 4 hours at night. Had some weight gain issues early on. . Lost 12.7% body weight but she started off in 93rd percentile. Saw 2 LCs. Regained bw at 3.5 weeks. Now is over 10 lbs. Feeds are 2.5 to 3 oz.. for her first night feed we supplement w formula to get more sleep though i still wake up and do a 5 min pump to prevent engorgment. She gets 3.5 oz at night by bottle from my husband, mixed ebm and formula
  • I've had a small pea sized lump in my breast for 2 weeks. I bit the bullet and went to the doctor today. I'm being referred for an ultrasound. I'm hoping it's just a really clogged duct.

Luckily baby boy is BFing fine. Just trying to figure out how pumping will work once I am back to work!
  • So when I called the nurse line Saturday they told me to go to the ER for mastitis. I didn't go, instead doing bed rest and lots of feedings to try to clear it. And my primary care doc called me today unrequested to check in. I feel like I am actually being cared for, so nice. Wish there was something they could do about the lack of milk that I am producing but I know all that traumatized tissue needs time to heal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does anyone have tricks to getting their lo to drink pumped milk in a bottle?? My fiancée has been trying but she won't suck on it just gags or moves it around. Been trying to give her a bottle randomly since about 2/3 weeks old and now at almost 7 weeks she's still not really taking it.

LO hated the bottle and would choke every time. We got different bottles (Tommie Tippy) with the appropriate flow nipples. It took 2 more tries for him to "learn" how to breathe/suck/swallow, but he's a champ now. I suggest trying a different bottle. Good luck!
  • @katyqv

Lo is 9 weeks and eating between 26-30 ounces a day. 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours and sleeping from 10pm-6am.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• My DH is starting to talk more often about how he feels left out, not being able to feed LO. And my whole family is in town, and my mom and aunts all want to babysit - so they're tag teaming with DH to encourage me to pump to let them feed LO.

It makes me want to sob! He's 8 weeks, and breastfeeding is going really well. I let anyone hold LO whenever they want, I am definitely not a hovering/over protective mother.. But I am NOT ready to give up EBF or to leave the baby.

Yesterday DH wouldn't let me push the stroller. He snapped, "You get to feed him, let me have this." I told him he better drop that crap because I'm not giving up EBF and he's not holding that against me. But I have a feeling this is only the beginning of this battle.

Any other EBF mamas going through this?
  • At what point did your babies start taking 5oz in breast milk bottles instead of 4? I know it's different for everyone but I'm trying to figure out when to make that jump. LO is a piglet and will eat whatever is in a bottle and then just barf up the amount she ate but didn't need. We do paced bottle feeds with 4oz now, it takes about 10 minutes and we pause 3-4 times to burp, but she still takes the whole thing and occassionally wants to breastfeed within an hour afterwards. She's 6 weeks now. We only give bottles a few times a week, to get her ready for daycare, so I truly have no clue what her daily consumption is.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited August 2015
    I went up to 4.5 to 4.75 oz first and occasionally mine will take 5 oz. don't be afraid to up it. ;)@delujm0
  • @delujm my lo is 10 weeks and still won't drink that much at once. We may get lucky a handful of times and get 4 oz but thats the most.
    Has anyone else been told that their lo is a grazer? My ped. Kind of got after me for it because she usually only takes 2 to 3 oz at a time but eats pretty frequently during the day, like every hour to 2 hrs. We feed on demand and right now I work part time so no daycare.
  • @delujm0 my pedi wanted to up the amount LO eats and how often, when she was 4 weeks. She wanted her to eat 4 oz every 4 hours. All she did was spit up, and cry when we came around the 2 1/2 hour mark. After a few days we said screw it. We went back to feeding her about 2.5-3 oz every 2 1/2-3 hours. LO is currently 6 weeks and no more spit up issues. Take what they said with a grain of salt. You know your child better than any doctor. Go with ur gut. If LO is gaining weight and your ok with feeding that often then all is well in my book.
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited August 2015
    rklinge0 said:

@delujm my lo is 10 weeks and still won't drink that much at once. We may get lucky a handful of times and get 4 oz but thats the most.
    Has anyone else been told that their lo is a grazer? My ped. Kind of got after me for it because she usually only takes 2 to 3 oz at a time but eats pretty frequently during the day, like every hour to 2 hrs. We feed on demand and right now I work part time so no daycare.

Yes. He told me I need to let my LO quit "snacking" and feed every 2 hours even if he's hungry before. I posted this and the consensus was to keep feeding on demand, which I'm doing. My husband on the other hand was like you're going against the dr and getting on to me for feeding on demand. The pediatrician has never breastfed and there are many different feeding theories.

Edit: my LO is 3 weeks old
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I completely understand. I have to pump some to try bottles for daycare & how she takes them & how much, BUT I HATE it. We started 1-2 bottles a week at 4 weeks to try. She did fine, so I didn't pump again until this week (7 w/o). Last week I REALLY started to feel this connection with her & BFing (I guess the "my body is providing her all she needs" feeling finally hit me). But I do agree with PP about cutting him some slack. It was SO weird the week my in laws were here to give her up to them sometime, but it was good for me, especially if you trust them & they live out of town. & I agree about giving him some responsibility & I'd add not "checking" on him. I did that with my DH & the bottle (are you holding her right? How many times did you burp?...) & didn't let him trial & error like I did. Now I take a hot bath while he feeds her an evening bottle & we both enjoy this time.
    Just something to think about.
  • & a heads up to pumping mommies starting daycare. I was worried about having enough milk at daycare vs wasting milk (with too full bottles) & my pedi said to pump the sized bottles she already ate (4 oz) for how long you're gone & send 2-3 - 2 oz ones in case she needs a little more. I might put the 2 oz ones in bags for them to put in the freezer or fridge.
  • lwyzlwyz member
    @virginiaunicorn11 DH and I kind of went through this before LO was born. He wanted to feed LO and I wasn't and am not willing to pump just so he can do that. We sat down and I acknowledged his feelings on it but pointed out that pumping wasn't necessary for us and it's really not pleasant and I don't want to do it but discussed how it's really a relatively short time til 6 months and solids and how he can be so helpful with diaper changes and baths and burping til that point and it helped him a lot!
  • My DH is starting to talk more often about how he feels left out, not being able to feed LO. And my whole family is in town, and my mom and aunts all want to babysit - so they're tag teaming with DH to encourage me to pump to let them feed LO.

It makes me want to sob! He's 8 weeks, and breastfeeding is going really well. I let anyone hold LO whenever they want, I am definitely not a hovering/over protective mother.. But I am NOT ready to give up EBF or to leave the baby.

Yesterday DH wouldn't let me push the stroller. He snapped, "You get to feed him, let me have this." I told him he better drop that crap because I'm not giving up EBF and he's not holding that against me. But I have a feeling this is only the beginning of this battle.

Any other EBF mamas going through this?

I can totally sympathize with this! I won't bottle feed my LO unless it's necessary. Which usually only happens when I have to be away from him.

I remember with DS1, DH and I got into a huge fight over feeding the baby. He was upset. I was a crying mess. I had to explain to him that breastfeeding only lasts for a short period. That's it's my window of time to not just feed the baby but to bond with him. I mean c'mon I'm not going to nurse this kid when he's 12. He didn't like the idea but he respected my choice to EBF.

He eventually realized that he could bond with the baby without having to feed him. He not only had burping and diaper changing duties but he gave him baths as well. DH also played with him during tummy time, read stories to him and they would listen to music together. To this day with DS1 being 22months, music and bath time is still their thing.

I think people get so hung up on feeding as a way to bond with the baby when there's other things they could do together. You could cut DH some slack or stick to your guns about EBF. Either way, I'm sure things will eventually work out.