June 2015 Moms

Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

Re: Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

• Loading the player...
  • janat1717janat1717 member
    edited July 2015
    Can I say trying to increase milk sucks! DH would care for LO all night and does basically on the weekends but I have to get up and pump every 3 hours anyways (tech supposed to be 2 but that was making me crazy train) I'm cranky today
  • mellymar said:

Our feeding routine is just SO LONG right now. (:|

Ours too melly... Ours too ..
    :!!
  • I can relate to all these stories right now I'm beyond po at DH because he slept all night and now just woke up from a 2 hour nap. While I've only been able to put DD down once for about 30 min and had to feed the dogs, wash clothes, and bottles. Seriously thinking of switching to EP so I can sleep and tell DH GTH take the baby and don't come to bed. Since I have been sleeping on the couch because he nags that I hold the baby to much and should let her cry. Well why the flip do you think she's crying either she needs a diaper or she's hungry and that's not going to stop if we ignore her. DH was good for the first week or two after birth but now completely worthless. The last couple of days I have been fighting with DD because she wants to be latched for hours at bedtime while i am exhausted and want to sleep. Good thing is she hasn't been waking up at night bad thing is I'm use to her screaming her lungs out when she's hungry so I haven't been feeding her at all at night the last 2 days. Going to put an alarm on tonight boo. Also still worried if she is actually eating enough since she hasn't pooped but maybe 5 times since leaving the hospital and she takes forever to finish feeding when she use to only take 15 minutes or less. Now it seems like she's eating for hours and I'm constantly starving.
  • We moved LO to his nursery last night - DH cannot sleep with him in the room and my mum is coming today so DH can't sleep in the spare room anymore. It actually went pretty well, although our bedroom feels like it has a hole in it without the bassinet. I did spend at least 15 minutes watching LO on the video monitor before I could sleep - he was awake but happy when we put him down and he spent a while wriggling around before he slept - but we slept pretty well, and he went 3 1/2 hours between feeds which is great for him. He even went down for a short nap after 7am which he usually won't do.
  • ^^and talk to your peds about what is going on
  • Night time does suck. It's past 6am and I haven't slept a wink. She slept great until 3am, but I couldn't fall asleep myself, and now she's been up since 3. I think I'm having a hard time sleeping because my husband went back to work full time yesterday so I'm getting anxious about doing nights by myself. He can't help at night at all because he works at 4am, so he's already barely getting any sleep. I think my mom is goon to come pick her up for a few hours so I can sleep a little though. I'm sad though because I know it will just happen again tonight and I can't keep relying on my mom to watch LO.

This is exactly how I feel. My husband has been here helping with LO, but he will begin 3rd shift soon and I'm not confident I can deal without him. If he wasn't washing/making bottles or there to keep an eye on LO while I eat or go to the bathroom, I'd go nuts. I'm trying to get the hang of doing it all myself, but it's difficult. And if I hear 'sleep when she sleeps' one more time I'm gonna scream. I do sleep when she does, but if she doesn't sleep then neither do I!
  • I did manage to get 7 hours of sleep (interrupted of course) so I do feel like a new woman. I'm not sure I will get that for tonight but here's hoping!
  • While I get excited for LO giving me a 4.5 hour stretch of sleep...it just means I have to stay up after a feed to pump to empty my boobs.

I have fenugreek and mother's milk tea I was going to start taking to up my pumping production but I feel like I'll be trading in my precious sleep...decisions, decisions.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • kkdb14kkdb14 member
    It's 2:51. I've spent the last hour and a half trying to put LO back down. This is try #3. Trying to remain optimistic, but there's a whole lotta noise coming from that bouncer...
  • thedothedo member
    edited July 2015
    This inspired me to have my dh cover until 12 also... I've never felt better. Thank you! https://forums.thebump.com/profile/10584232/hoodoll82
  • @elizab14 honestly, I am so tired that sleep just happens. But I totally empathize. I had a csection so getting comfortable sleeping still isn't easy. I of course worry about LO sleeping too but he is right next to me in the bassinet. I know some people find it easier to sleep
    With their LO in their own room and you In your bedroom. Maybe that would help? But try to sleep--you need and deserve it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • 1:19am and he just won't sleep unless he's on me D:
  • Invested in the auto rock n play- she's still on a every 3 hour lets eat schedule but likes the rocking motion. Transitioning to a crib is going to be a huge pain!
  • My LO has been asleep all night, but I can't fall asleep for nothing. She is so noisy tonight. I don't mind the noises, but she either coughs and it sounds like she is gagging or it's deep breaths like she doesn't breath for a few seconds and is playing catch up by taking a deep breath. I want to just lay her beside me on her side, but I don't want to wake her either. I guess I'll just continue to lay here and listen and stare at her lol. Tomorrow calls for a nap, but I will have to work my nap around my SO's schedule because he said he already wants a massage, must be nice [-(
  • kkdb14kkdb14 member
    Staying at bf's house tonight, and figured I'd finally get a night off from watching LO. It's 5:14 am, I am still awake with her, and he is still asleep. Cool. :((
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    It is almost 9 here and she is still sleeping! We had two night feedings... She sort of just grunts to wake up and eat (different than her default sleep grunt so I am starting to differentiate;)
  • I feel ya ladies! It would be nice if, on weekends, DH offered to cover the early mornings. I do it every week day and sometimes I don't really want to see 4 am every day of the week. I'm not even bf-ing! Can't I get the benefits of that??
  • mlindzzmlindzz member
    edited July 2015
    Advice needed :(

I'm BF and while LO often eats 'vigorously', I believe he's giving himself a tummy ache afterwards. I've tried burping throughout feedings, but each time I burp him he gets fussy because he's always drifting off while he eats and burping him means interrupting his drifting asleep. Then once he's up, he's frustrated and often wants to eat even more because he's upset .. starting the cycle over again. He's an emotional eater already lol.

This is really interfering with what was a great sleep routine.

Edit:typo
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    @
    MurLindzz said:

I'm BF and while LO often eats 'vigorously', I believe he's giving himself a tummy ache afterwards. I've tried burping throughout feedings, but each time I burp him he gets fussy because he's always drifting off while he eats and burping him means interrupting his drifting asleep. Then once he's up, he's frustrated and often wants to eat even more because he's upset .. starting the cycle over again. He's an emotional eater already lol.

I'm having the exact same issue. It's not as much of an issue at night because he doesn't eat as much at night, but it's a huge struggle during the day. Then he gets extremely fussy because he's so exhausted.
  • amccoy129 said:

@

MurLindzz said:

I'm having the exact same issue. It's not as much of an issue at night because he doesn't eat as much at night, but it's a huge struggle during the day. Then he gets extremely fussy because he's so exhausted.
    Me too. Would love advice on this.
  • I have the same problem. She is impossible during the day and so fussy because she is so exhausted. It takes an army to get her to nap during the day because she is so busy looking around...and then whining. After she eats she has about 15 minutes of happy agreeable baby and then turns into a terror because she's so tired and won't go to sleep.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Omg guys lo slept from 12 am to 4:45 she's a month old and we have been working on understanding night and day and it's finally working! My lo isn't this biggest fan of burping either I try to make soothing sounds and rub her back gently afterwards to get her to relax again this seems to work for her sometimes she does want more so I feed again and then burp again. I hope this helps
  • @elizab14 and anyone else suffering from anxiety, my midwife recommended bach rescue remedy drops (yellow bottle). You can get it at health food stores, amazon and vitamin shoppe. It is all natural, safe for bf and works amazing.
  • My baby doesn't want to go to sleep. Ugh. He's fed, clean diaper, just no desire to sleep. First night I've experienced this so far. He's 3 weeks exactly today.
  • After every feeding LO gets the hiccups. He had heart surgery 5 days ago and he just screams because it hurts his chest and I try to soothe him but nothing works. I feel so bad for him because I feel like there is nothing I can do for him till they pass. I burp him between breasts and if I use a bottle I burp him halfway through but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone else have issues with their LO getting hiccups?
  • Last night held such promise. LO slept really well and I actually managed to sleep since DH was able to rock him to sleep after feeding. Today has been just awful. LO has no desire to sleep and both dogs won't leave my side since he's awake. Cuddle dogs make c-sec me crazy.
  • After every feeding LO gets the hiccups. He had heart surgery 5 days ago and he just screams because it hurts his chest and I try to soothe him but nothing works. I feel so bad for him because I feel like there is nothing I can do for him till they pass. I burp him between breasts and if I use a bottle I burp him halfway through but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone else have issues with their LO getting hiccups?

We are currently right now waiting out a bout of hiccups. We bf and then have to give a bottle of formula, so we usually take 3-4 breaks for burps per bottle to minimize spit up. Last break the hiccups came up with the burp and there's nothing to do but wait until they pass to see if he wants more food. Well, I can tell he wants more food. Afraid to give him more of the bottle when he is hiccuping because I'm afraid he will spit some up with the hiccups. Its not an every single feeding event, but it happens at least daily. And I also can't tell if the burping causes them, or they would have happened anyway. I think probably the latter. But, I feel ya!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Saw fireworks tonight and spent 5pm-1030 at a bbq. LO slept inside their house. F

After every feeding LO gets the hiccups. He had heart surgery 5 days ago and he just screams because it hurts his chest and I try to soothe him but nothing works. I feel so bad for him because I feel like there is nothing I can do for him till they pass. I burp him between breasts and if I use a bottle I burp him halfway through but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone else have issues with their LO getting hiccups?

Yes! We give our LO a few drops of gripe water and they go away so fast!
  • @rachelkaylene glad the surgery went well, speedy recovery to him
  • After 2 good nights, last night was rough. She was up every 3 hours with gas for 1-2 hours between feedings. And when she was quiet, I would get paranoid that she had stopped breathing.

The ILs are gone after a long weekend and apparently today she will only sleep with a boob in her mouth and no, she is not interested in the pacifier. I just want a nap.
  • She would not sleep in her crib last night. She's been sleeping in there since day one, but sometimes she just doesn't like it, like last night. The second I put her on her swing she was fast asleep. I don't mind doing that, but I just don't want her to get used to sleeping there and struggling with sleep down the road when she needs to be in her crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sometimes a pacifier helps too! My lo gets the hiccups everytime. She had them all the time on the inside too. I looked it up and sometimes feeding more or giving the pacifier helps stop them quicker. I will try the gripe water next.