June 2015 Moms

Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

Re: Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

• Sometimes I read the title of this thread and think..

DOES IT???!!! DOES IT GET BETTER?!???

Gods, I hope so. And besides, I needed the optimism when I started the thread, otherwise I might have cried and tried to drown myself in formula.

Nighttime still sucks. Maybe once the weather starts to turn?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pretty sure LO is only happy when sleeping on me. Could we have already formed a bad habit at 9 days old?!
  • Loading the player...
  • LO is now up to 4 hour stretches! But I swear it's a curse: I'm actually more tired than before, because I'm getting into an REM sleep cycle before waking up again. I usually get active after her 7 am feeding, today I went back to sleep until 10 when she went back down. DH probably thinks I'm a slacker.
  • seeseaseesea member

Sometimes I read the title of this thread and think..

DOES IT???!!! DOES IT GET BETTER?!???

Right?! Because once it seems like they're sleeping longer you get used to it, then bam! They're up every hour or so. Ugh.
  • @hoodoll82
    I completely did the same thing this morning! We aren't slackers, we are tired full time mommies that deserve rest...4 hour stretches are nice, but you're right, they make you MORE tired!

@Sammy K
    I'm right there with you...DD has slept a total of three 4 hour stretches in 3 weeks. I'd love to actually sleep in the bed with DH instead of getting in there only for her to wake up after 30 mins!
  • katyqv said:

For the past 4 nights, LO has been ridiculously fussy, like, scream at the top of her lungs fussy, at the 10 o'clock hour -- right as we're all getting ready for bed. DH is back to work so he's been responsible for putting LO to bed at night so that I can have some time to relax/get some sleep, which has been impossible lately because of her fussiness. Anyone else experiencing these on schedule fussy episodes with LO?  

On a positive, LO let mama get some sleep last night! She had one 3 hr stretch and then two 2 hr stretches of sleep. Yay baby girl! 
    There were 2 nights a while ago he suppe

Pretty sure LO is only happy when sleeping on me. Could we have already formed a bad habit at 9 days old?!

No they need to be cuddled
  • We got a 4 hour stretch tonight, which is about 10x more sleep than I had all last night. So at least I have the patience to spend an hour or more feeding and burping. And we're also not in the dreaded 4am feeding session. Hopefully I can get 2 hours out of the next sleep and skip seeing 4am for once.
  • katyqvkatyqv member
    LO has had two 3 hour stretches tonight. I so wanted to crawl in bed just now after getting her back to sleep but I must pump.
  • I'm having so much trouble falling back asleep after our first night feeding lately. I'm tired but I can't fall asleep and then she wakes up 1.5 hours after I usually finally fall back asleep and I can barely get up (I ask DH to change her to buy me some time). Ugh! So annoying...doesn't my body know sleep is very hard to come by?!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm having so much trouble falling back asleep after our first night feeding lately. I'm tired but I can't fall asleep and then she wakes up 1.5 hours after I usually finally fall back asleep and I can barely get up (I ask DH to change her to buy me some time). Ugh! So annoying...doesn't my body know sleep is very hard to come by?!

I hear ya. I'm still up at 3:30 having not slept at all, and LO has been asleep the whole time. There was a night last week where I literally didn't fall asleep until 8am. I had to have my mom come watch her for a few hours so I could finally sleep.

• I've been too tired at the 4:00 am sessions last two nights to trust myself. Last night I made DH wake up and talk to me and watch me change LO because I was afraid I'd fall asleep and drop him.
    DH helped prop me up on pillows and prop LO on the Boppie so if I fell asleep, we would be safe. I did, and woke up a few hours later confused and dripping milk. LO latched right on, then we both went back to sleep.
    I need more naps!
  • WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GOOD SLEEPER?

From 1.5-3 weeks we were regularly sleeping at night, starting at 10 or 11, one 5 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour stretch and a 2 hour stretch.

Now, at 3 weeks, we are fighting sleep until 1am and then refusing to stay asleep for more than 2 hours at a time all night. And during the day, while we will sleep happily for 1-2 hour stretches, we will no longer tolerate sleeping on anything else than my lap. She was happy in the boppy lounger for 3 weeks during daytime naps, and now as soon as I transfer her she LOSES IT. sigh.

I hope this is just a brief growth spurt or something and we go back to normal soon.
  • We've gone from 2 nightly feedings (12am and 3am) to LO wakes up every 2 hours for the past few days. He wakes up fussy and Sometimes I'm not even sure if he's hungry but putting him on the boob is the only way I know he will go back to sleep. It's not fair because he takes long good naps during the day. Hoping this is a growth spurt.
  • I slept all dang night. Sounds great. I feel good. But I woke up in a puddle and did not pump at all. My supply will suffer greatly.
  • @dancegurl1118 DH thinks it's great I sleep all night. He gets up with DD and she doesn't wake up til long after he's at work. But I try to explain the supply and demand process to him and he just doesn't understand why I need him to make sure I pump while she gets a bottle. He thinks I'm going to punch him if he wakes me up.
  • I can only pump enough for one 2 oz bottle per day, which DH is supposed to give LO around midnight-1ish. It doesn't buy me a whole lot of time, but it's nice to just pump and go to bed at that feeding and gets me maybe a couple hrs of sleep. Well, last night DH had a scotch and fell asleep on the couch, and didn't wake up to LO crying. So I breastfed him and DH eventually woke up to me sobbing while trying to rock him to sleep. He feels awful and I know I prob overreacted due to hormones + exhaustion, but I'm still mad

• DD is killing me but I guess it's my fault...I've created a monster who will not sleep anywhere but on me therefore I have not slept at night at all!! Any suggestions?
  • @mellymar you had me cracking up with that ecard and I had to make up some stupid story to explain myself to DH
  • @mellymar you had me cracking up with that ecard and I had to make up some stupid story to explain myself to DH

Bah! I woulda just shown him. Let him give you the side eye... He can get sleep on it and get over it.
    :>
  • @delujm0
    Yes! I've got the exact same issue, only, DD fights sleep during the day and won't stay asleep for longer than 10 minutes or so unless I'm holding her.... :-S
  • When does this witching hour thing end?! We've had it for about 2 weeks almost. We start to get her ready for bed around 630 and she doesn't actually fall asleep until around 9. Blah!
  • LO is almost 8 weeks and tonight's witching hour was only 20 mins. Up until a few days ago, he did the same thing where he wouldn't fall asleep and would fuss and nothing would comfort him. Now, we can put him in his swing and he sits quietly, or we give him his pacifier and he self soothes. Hang in there... It does get easier!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kristenk727 tonight wasn't as bad. It just takes her FOREVER to settle down and start to close her eyes and relax. We upped her formula to 3 oz starting today instead of the 2oz we were giving her and she ended up taking almost a 5 hour nap from 1-6. So I don't blame her for not wanting to sleep but we're trying to keep up a sleep routine. Hoping she does sleep longer now though at night since she's eating more. Fingers crossed
  • I'm ditching her swaddle pods tonight and just swaddling her arms..she was kicking and grunting too much with her legs in the pod which made me think it was too short for her (she's super long). Hoping it works.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I think LO's witching hour is from 3-5:30 am. :(
  • delujm0 said:

katyertl said:

When does this witching hour thing end?! We've had it for about 2 weeks almost. We start to get her ready for bed around 630 and she doesn't actually fall asleep until around 9. Blah!

I'd take that a thousand times...last night we got ready for bed at 8 and weren't asleep until 1am. Tonight we got ready at 7 and we're still at it. She is clearly SO TIRED but WILL NOT FALL ASLEEP. it's crazy. Sleep is awesome, baby. Get on board.
    AMEN!! We had an awesome night last night so we did same exact routine tonight, and low and behold my girls are wide-eyed and refusing to sleep even though they've been awake basically all day long
  • JessHeppellJessHeppell member
    edited July 2015
    not just nighttime sucks for me.. but it feels like everything sucks.. LO is a week old today and ive cried at least once daily since Saturday. everything just seems to hurt and nothing is getting easier.
    my left nipple is scabbed and i dread feeding on that side.
    i think my stitches may be infected due to a different type of pain today and yesterday (as well as an off smell)
    and i need to go to the bathroom but with the way my stitches are feeling im terrified. it already hurts, i dont want it hurting more. i cant make a dr's appointment till tomorrow because by the time i went to call it was too late, it hurts to sit down, lay down and pretty much just existing hurts. and with DH working again i dont want to wake him up in the middle of the night as i know he is exhausted. i just feel so overwhelmed by everything that is going wrong

edit: missed some words
  • not just nighttime sucks for me.. but it feels like everything sucks.. LO is a week old today and ive cried at least once daily since Saturday. everything just seems to hurt and nothing is getting easier.
    my left nipple is scabbed and i dread feeding on that side.
    i think my stitches may be infected due to a different type of pain today and yesterday (as well as an off smell)
    and i need to go to the bathroom but with the way my stitches are feeling im terrified. it already hurts, i dont want it hurting more. i cant make a dr's appointment till tomorrow because by the time i went to call it was too late, it hurts to sit down, lay down and pretty much just existing hurts. and with DH working again i dont want to wake him up in the middle of the night as i know he is exhausted. i just feel so overwhelmed by everything that is going wrong

Don't get discouraged or feel you are alone I felt the exact same way at one week PP
    Baby is almost 3 weeks now and I am still hurting here and there and feel emotional from time to time but it is WAY better!! Trust me it gets better

• Good luck tonight ladies! Night is upon us........
  • @JessHeppell I had some pretty mad discomfort down there about a week after, too. It hurt to sit, and hurt less to lay down, but still hurt. I did cry while nursing LO because sitting and nursing made my Virginia area hurt so much and it was just a constant thing and at that time LO did not want to side lay nurse so I HAD to sit, and I was sitting so much all the time and there was no way to take the pressure off that area to make the pain go away....

Hopefully you're not infected. :( But if you aren't, it does get better. I ended up using my anti-inflammatory meds more during that time than I did right after birth. I can't say exactly how many days it was (its a blur) but I don't think it was terribly long before I was able to go without the meds again. I think one night I did break down and use my Tylenol 3's for the pain, tho.
  • Does grunting and making weird loud noises after feeding/burping a sign of acid reflux? She only makes these noises past three nights and it worries me bc its so loud. I got a good burp out of her and she fell asleep on me so I set her back in the rock n play and she grunts so loud every few minutes or so.
  • @JessHeppell I'm sorry, lady, it's horrific, I know. I really hope you don't have an infection and am glad you're going to the doctor. I was this miserable til day 11. Good news/bad news is that you are at the height on when it was really bad for me. I just cried and cried, and especially when the pharmacist gave me a lecture about why I shouldn't be taking pain meds and then DH gave me shit about regular Tylenol, too. (I will never forgive him for that, lol!) The only thing that helped me was sleep and walking.

Is there ANYONE you can call to come over and help you? Also, reconsider not waking DH. Let him know it's just to get you over the hump of these bad few days. Your body has been through major trauma and you need time to recover.

On day 12 I felt better, and at week 3 I really felt better about things in general. I remember thinking that was too long to wait, but after day 12, time moved more quickly.

Also, WALK! You won't feel like it, but it will get the blood flow going and speed up healing down there. I cried during my first walk then felt sooo much better an hour or two later.

Big big hugs, lady! I'm so sorry. It's hell.
  • Second the good news / bad news about that being about the height of feeling crappy and really down. And I did also start to try to get out for a walk now and then around that time, too. I went slowly, but I went. The change of scenery from my house and just the sense of doing something helped. And yeah, when DH caught me weeping in bed with LO on my boob and me squirming, trying to help the pain in my poor Virginia and just cause I was SO TIRED and it was all SO HARD he stayed up with me talking and tried to help distract me.