June 2015 Moms
Options

Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

I figured we had a breastfeeding support thread, but while most of us are talking about night time feedings or how tired we are, we don't have a support system in place for it. Or at a minimum, we can come here late at night and cry

And yes, I stole @aliciaspinnet thread title. Because 'nighttime sucks the big fat one' seemed awful negative and I don't want white knights crawling out of the woodworks telling me I'm not being supportive at 10 minutes before 1am in the morning.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

• Options
    Most definitely I was up 40 hours breast feeding my lo every couple of hours. My poor nips. I invested in a pump so now I can rest :-)
  • Options
    ^^ @rsalata2015 how's baby NICU stay? Can you update us?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mellymar said:

Seriously, for me , nighttime is the worst part of this whole gag. Labor sucked, delivery was stressful (and painfully sucky for our natural mamas, I'm sure), breastfeeding is hard, adapting to a newborn is a total adjustment. But for me the wee hours of the night / morning are seriously bad sh!t. I'm just taking it on some kind of vague certainty that it gets better, but if anything is going to lead me down the path of PPD, its nighttime.

LO is in the stage where he won't sleep unless he is being cuddled, or on the boob. At least, i hope its a stage. Usually he needs a combination of both before sleeping. Its all well and good to spoil your newborn, and I'm behind that. Totally. But the problem arises at 1255am, when the kid won't accept lie down side feeding bfing position (tho he did at the hospital, he doesn't want to do it at home). So I sit up in bed. Which sucks, cause I've been sitting all day with him, and it inflames my Virginia area from birthing. LO gets on the boob. Feeds for a few minutes. Then falls deep asleep. Problem - I can't move him or he will wake up and crying ensues, and then we must restart the whole process from point one. Problem - I can't sleep sitting up. First off, not safe for LO. And second - my Virginia. Problem - DH feels bad as I silently cry about how much I hate nighttime right now, but we both know if he tried to stay up with me in commiseration, he will fall asleep. And then I would have to be a bitch to wake him up just so he could be miserable with me.

So here I am - Virginia - annoyed, DH - out, DS - out. And me - so very tired and tender AND I CANT EVEN LIE DOWN.

Just... Huge, weeping tears. I just want to lie down. Sleep too, sure. But lying down sounds effing great.

@mellymar , you put the dilemma very well. I am in the same boat tonight. So exhausted, and every time I think LO is asleep and put him down, he wakes up and goes through the same hungry routine--hands to mouth, then crying--as if the poor thing had never been fed! Growth spurt maybe? I promised DH that I would start pumping tomorrow so he could let me sleep a little more tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Also, I had wanted to cosleep, but now I can't, because I can't physically get into our tall bed, and so I'm sleeping on the couch, which is not safe to sleep on with LO. Nothing goes as planned...
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    So sorry - Yes, the first few nights are terrible. I think o was running solely on adrenaline the first week. I know its different for everyone, but for me, things got better pretty quickly. By the 2nd week, LO went from only sleeping on me, then in our bed, and finally into PnP.
    Do you have pain meds or ice packs that can help take the edge off?
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    DH goes back to work tomorrow and is going to spend tonight in the spare room so he can get a proper nights sleep. So I'll be on my own with LO overnight for the first time since the hospital - well it can't possibly be worse than those two nights I guess. I bought a breast pump yesterday so maybe DH can return the favour at the weekend :)
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    Last night was rough... No crying but she was up for hours after her 3:30 AM feeding... Usually she goes right back to sleep... I was like pleeeeeease sleep!
  • Options
    @katyertl hahaha, reading your comments made me laugh because that's exactly how I feel. Last night me and the baby we're just hanging out on the couch while my SO other got in bed at 10 or so and slept until 7 this morning (must be nice)...now he is sitting beside me watching tv trying to be sweet and I'm totally giving him the cold shoulder, but he doesn't pick up on it lol. I just want sleep, like one full night and I'd be good....I think X_X
  • Options
    Yesterday I did extra pumping so I could have my one night of rest dh took lo I went to bed at 10:45 and got up at 5:30 right now my body is so confused on what just happened, it's in this weird sleep like coma walking phase were my eyes are half closed. Dd is getting better dh said but an it is going to take some more time to get her on a sleep through the night phase we can usually get 3 hours of time in between but I can't wait to sleep train her at 2 months.
  • Options
    mellymar said:

"After the night, comes the dawn"

It's almost like Xmas morning! DH felt so bad for after the 230am feeding that even tho it woke up LO to move him off of me, he took him and did his magic dad hold (hold I do not get anywhere near the same calming results with). He was able to lull LO back to sleep with dad hold and they both slept like that 2 hours. Giving me 2 hours of real, laying down sleep. We're pondering why dad hold was so successful this time and he says 'maybe your milk is coming so he was more content to start'. And he's right! Pressing gently buy firmly on the sides gets milk! Huzzah!

I'm sure tonight is going to suck ass again. But, maybe not quite as bad. Hopefully. Fingers crossed ladies! Thanks for the nighttime ideas, for me and behalf of all the other mama's who will soon be dealing with the wee hours and a newborn

Just on this thing about dad working magic. We had the same problem but dad can't be awake all night due to working early. MW said hold baby with back to your stomach/boobs, pull legs upto babies belly and bounce. Totally works. Apparently they can't smell the milk and same position/feel as womb
  • Options
    Must've been the night for DH's to not have a clue.

I didn't get him up because I was so mad I would've said something I regretted.

I'm sick. And tired. And LO is all outta sorts. Plus her acne/eczema is outta control and I feel bad for her. Her face is all jacked up.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    He finally woke up at 7 I handed him the baby and said "it's been real. have fun"
    and walked to our bedroom and shut the door
    He woke me up an hour later saying she's hungry and he didn't know how to make a bottle. Seriously. I had just fed her too. No dude she's gotta poop and she has gas. Ugh
  • Options

katyertl said:

@beckyk9109 idk how you do it with twins!! You're my hero

A lot of bloodshed and tears... Just kidding. Partially anyways.

It was actually easy in the beginning. They were born 35weeks so they would just eat, sleep, and poop. Now that they're becoming more alert, things are a lot more hectic. I must say I'm getting quite the biceps from cuddling/soothing both at the same time!
    Our LO was born at 36 weeks and was pretty easy too and I was so happy. Then she started to become more alert and everything as well. She's still pretty good actually but the beginning she was easier lol
    I bet you are getting muscles! I can't even imagine trying to console 2 babies at once.
  • Options
    Our hardest time is 2-5 am. She doesn't cry, just makes a ton of noise and won't sleep unless she's on me. DH doesn't get up with us but that's because he has full responsibility for DS, who has been waking in the middle of the night too. I know, it gets better. It just makes for long nights.
  • Options
    emaddock said:

I cannot stay awake during nighttime feedings. I find myself waking up with a baby still attached to my boob. Any advice for staying awake would be so helpful!

When I'm that tired, I do side lying and go ahead and fall asleep while LO nurses. Would that position work for you?
  • Options
    emaddock said:

I cannot stay awake during nighttime feedings. I find myself waking up with a baby still attached to my boob. Any advice for staying awake would be so helpful!

I play on my phone and have a dim light on. I've fallen asleep burping LO in my glider lol I've never tried the side laying position but I've heard good things!
  • Options
    emaddock said:

I sit up straight and have my head against the headboard, which is hard and uncomfortable and not very condusive to dosing off. The side lying position for feeding is awesome, if you can get it to work. For some reason I cannot get it to work since we came home from the hospital
  • Options
    katyertl said:

emaddock said:

I play on my phone and have a dim light on. I've fallen asleep burping LO in my glider lol I've never tried the side laying position but I've heard good things!
    I surf the Internet on my phone to keep me awake too, and I put the light on in our ensuite so I can see enough to breastfeed. I also make a point to get out of bed and into a chair so I'm properly awake before feeding. If I'm struggling to stay awake I'll sometimes do leg exercises where I hold my legs up in the air for a count of 30 - if nothing else I figure it'll help tone things up! I personally don't feel comfortable bed sharing, but falling asleep and dropping or smothering the baby is a big fear of mine so I've made a point to take steps against it.
  • Options
    seeseaseesea member
    @mellymar I'm not sure if you're having this same problem but I noticed that with side lying sometimes my boob is smushed up against LO's face and he can't breathe. So I would gently push LO's back towards me as he latches. That way his chin goes up and his nose isn't blocked. I sometimes place a pillow behind him to kind of prop him up. This usually works for me.

This breastfeeding position is hands down the best one for night time feedings. It's the only way I can get some sleep!
  • Options
    @CillyMama I'll look at that tonight when I try it again. I do roll up a thin shirt or small swaddle blanket and stuff it under my boob so that the nipple is elevated and *should* be in line with his mouth. But yeah, maybe he ends up facing downward and that could be our problem. Thanks for the tip
  • Options
    I get out of bed. I found I was sacrificing a good latch just to stay in bed and my nipples were paying the price.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.