June 2015 Moms
Options

Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

15678911»

Re: Nighttime Sucks (But it gets better!) - A support thread

• Options
    LO decided to be wide awake from 2-5 last night. I think a bad dose of gas had something to do with it. Burps, spit up and a few farts provided the only entertainment during that stretch. DH fell asleep in DS bed last night. Slightly envious of his uninterrupted sleep last night.
  • Options
    DD decided she would cry without letting up, until 2am. I didn't even get her to go to sleep since she napped a little bit around 7pm. We tried a bottle,diaper changes, shushing, pacifier, rocking, singing, white noise. She finally went to sleep and slept til 7. I'm thankful for 5 hours of sleep but I don't want to fight a big huge battle with her crying for a 5 hour stretch :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO turned 6 weeks yesterday and his witching hour wasn't so bad, and he had two large chunks of sleep during the night. He slept most of today, and has completely slept through his witching hours...!!! I am holding my breath to see what tonight is like.

Hopefully the switch was thrown at the 6 week mark, and we are into this new phase of longer sleep and no witching. Oh, dare I hope...?!
  • Options
    "@sammy K" if I changed the sheets every time LO spit up we'd be out of every sheet in Massachusetts.

So I called the pediatrician (on call) today. She said before trying Zantac to try Alimentum formula as she suspect it's a milk allergy. We were tested for this 2 weeks ago but she says it still can develop over these weeks and she's rather try this approach before adding medication.

LO is soooo miserable every time she eats, I'm hoping it's the answer, although the cost will put us in the poorhouse.

• Options
    @hoodoll82 Good luck! I hope you find something that works. The good thing about reflux is that they usually grow out of it. I'm hoping she's on meds for a month or two and then we can wean off.
  • Options
    LO took some lengthy naps today... I got a lot done around the house!

But I know tonight I will pay for it. I'm tired just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Minute she gets put in rock n play, cries. Pick her up, nothing. Ugh
  • Options
    Baby's sleeping. I'm awake. It's almost 2am.

I am stoooopid 8-}
  • Options
    I do not really have a crier. She usually cries for about 15-30 seconds before I can fix whatever is wrong. Well, tonight she has been screaming her head off for the past hour. She turned 6 weeks yesterday, so I'm attributing it to a growth spurt. Doesn't make it any easier though. I'm dreading tonight. I feel so sorry for all of you with colicky babies. I don't think I could survive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    @hoodoll82 @Sammy K I put LO on Zantac at 4 weeks. She's 8 weeks today and I'm so glad I did. No more screaming from 5 pm-2 am, no more spitting up ALL of EVERY meal. It's been a real life changer, honestly. We both now get excellent sleep and have a much more enjoyable feeding time.
  • Options
    kkdb14 said:

@hoodoll82 @Sammy K I put LO on Zantac at 4 weeks. She's 8 weeks today and I'm so glad I did. No more screaming from 5 pm-2 am, no more spitting up ALL of EVERY meal. It's been a real life changer, honestly. We both now get excellent sleep and have a much more enjoyable feeding time.

How long was it before you noticed a difference?
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    About 2-3 days was when I noticed results, and after a week it had totally taken effect. I now notice that if I skip a dose (1 in the AM and 1 in the PM) she spits up copious amounts constantly.
  • Options
    We're on night 2 and its not any better. But during the day we saw a huge improvement - we actually had some awake, not angry time. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Confirmed:LO will only sleep in the bassinet for 1 hour stretches, and it's not because she's hungry, it's because she's not on top of me.

Fell asleep on me nursing at 9:30, transferred to bassinet 9:40, awake 10:45

Fell asleep on me nursing 11pm, allowed to sleep on me in the effing recliner in the nursery, transferred to bassinet because I had to pee at 1:45, awake 2:45.

WTF.
  • Options
    katyqvkatyqv member
    Just got done listening to LO fart for a min straight after a 3.5 hr stretch. Go girl!

Curious for those with a LO that spits up. During the day I've been keeping LO upright for a while after feeding. However, at night I just don't because I'm so tired and want to put her back to sleep. Of course, LO woke up with dry spit up around her little mouth and I can't help but feel selfish and terrible about it.
  • Options
    katyqv said:

Just got done listening to LO fart for a min straight after a 3.5 hr stretch. Go girl!

Curious for those with a LO that spits up. During the day I've been keeping LO upright for a while after feeding. However, at night I just don't because I'm so tired and want to put her back to sleep. Of course, LO woke up with dry spit up around her little mouth and I can't help but feel selfish and terrible about it.

I still keep our LO upright for 30 mins after at night time feedings. Yea it sucks but i would feel awful if she had ended up spitting it all up. We still wake up with some wet spots on her swaddle near her mouth so i know it doesn't stop it all but I can't imagine what it would be like if we didnt
  • Options
    I think it's a requirement of my child's to see 430 every night. Hope everyone else's is better !
  • Options
    My girls have been protesting going back to sleep after our middle of the night feeding. They don't cry but they're awake and scoot and grunt like crazy, and I can't sleep through it like DH. I'm wondering if we're ready for the transition to their cribs and their own room (it's right next to the master) since I'm returning to work midweek :(
  • Options
    katyqv said:

If I really can't hold her upright for more than 20 min, I put her in the rock N play instead of the bassinet, so she sleeps somewhat upright.
  • Options
    @hoodoll82 Yay! I've noticed LO isn't eating as much, too. I wonder if comfort nursing is more because it helps the reflux feel better. Fingers crossed for you that this works!
  • Options
    Can't get LO to sleep anywhere else than on my chest at night ! It's driving me crazy!!!!
  • Options
    Am I ever going to sleep again ?! Lol......... But really
  • Options
    I noticed my LO has been nursing less in the middle of the night too- usually just one boob or 3 mins of the other until she falls asleep.

Getting her down for bed has been such a nightmare though. The process to the crib will be interesting.
  • Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    I hate being wide awake until 5:30 am because I have a saint baby and my body should know better at this point than to take that for granted :-<