October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    So I currently pump at work with a double electric, but thinking about using my manual for my 2 shorter breaks which are 25 minutes. I would be able to pump each side for 10 minutes versus pumping both sides for about 18 minutes. Would this hurt my supply? I seem to have better output with the manual
  • Options
    jbuck909 said:

So I currently pump at work with a double electric, but thinking about using my manual for my 2 shorter breaks which are 25 minutes. I would be able to pump each side for 10 minutes versus pumping both sides for about 18 minutes. Would this hurt my supply? I seem to have better output with the manual

Won't hurt your supply one bit! Especially if you're getting more with the manual pump. Amount of milk removed from the breast is much more important than time spent pumping. Your supply is directly related to the amount of milk removed each day, so if you get more in less time from your manual pump, it's totally ok to use it instead!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @theresat858 Do you pump a bottle's worth and offer it at the same time each day, or just fit the bottle feed in when you can?
  • Options
    ishknits said:
    Thank you! Mines had his since birth and it's still clogged 2 months later. I feel so bad bc his eye gets irritated when I clean the gunk out. I'll try again with milk and massaging and see if it helps
    @ishknits yeah DD didn't have hers long before so I had caught it when it started. I think that's why it didn't take long to get rid of it.
  • Options
    jeniece47 said:

I am going on a work trip for four days at the end of the month. I was originally planning on just pumping and dumping with the exception of on the way home but with as much trouble as I have had pumping enough milk to cover what she eats at daycare, I don't want to dump it. I plan to call the hotel and make sure I can get a room with a fridge but I'm unsure how to transport the milk home. Travel time with flight, layover, and home from the airport driving should be about 12 hours. Is there a specific kind of ice pack I can bring that won't need to be frozen first or somewhere you can buy ice packs already frozen? I am assuming I will not have a freezer in my hotel room. Is it better to check the milk in a cooler in my suitcase and just carry on what I pump while traveling or carry it all on? Thank you!

I'm in the same boat and stressed out about it. I found that the TSA will allow "reasonable" quantities but it doesn't seem like there is any clear guideline. Curious to hear what others may have done in this situation.
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014

The Montgomery glands all around both nipples are inflamed and sore. I think this is because Sunny wasn't latching properly while she was sick and congested. Any tips for decreasing pain during nursing and pumping and healing them faster?

@Emerald27‌ Any thoughts?
    Ouch! Sounds like pain from friction? I might leave them open to the air as much as possible (go topless at home?) and use lanolin or aquaphor/Vaseline on the outside of your areolas under your pump flanges to reduce friction and prevent further trauma...just make sure to just apply to your areolas and not put any Vaseline or aquaphor on your nipples themselves.

Above all, don't squeeze them or mess with them: they serve a purpose and should be left alone or they can become infected.

Good luck!

ETA: Also, warm (as warm as you can stand it) compresses. If they're plugged, this will help them release. And remember, no squeezing! ;)
    imageimage
  • Options

FamousEa said:

Pumping/feeding question

DS only ate from one side, should I pump the other? He's sleeping right now, I'm new to this pumping thing, prior to this I have done it twice.

Do you want/need to build a stash? If so, pump. If not, no need to pump.
    This! But if you're supplementing, I'd definitely use this opportunity to pump an ounce or two to use later.
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

So my supply at night is still pretty awful. I pumped tonight to replace a supplemented feeding DH gave (about 1.5 oz), finished her on the boob and then proceeded to pump. I barely got the 1.5 oz she took. I'm wondering if I should just pump a nightly session regardless if we supplement to bump my supply up a bit.

I feel pretty good otherwise during the day and MOTN. Just extra inadequate in the evening hours.

Evening is when your supply is lowest, and it's highest in the morning. Also, getting just 1.5oz after nursing isn't bad at all. Theres no harm in adding an evening pumping session, but it's probably not necessary unless the evening bottles are going to be a regular thing. Are you supplementing LO at night because of a weight gain issue or because you're concerned about your supply at that time?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Pumping question. I see there have been several questions about pumping enough during work. I return to work on Monday :disappointed: and have trying to figure out the logistics of keeping my supply up. I have heard too many stories irl about friends whose supplies have tanked after returning to work. My big problem is that I work 10 hour days, but the hours aren't consistent, so it's hard to maintain any sort of schedule. (I'm a pharmacist, and usually work day or afternoon shift, but the shifts vary daily). I am planning on 2 15 minute breaks and 1 30 minute break in the 10 hour work day. I just tried my hand pump again and had great success with it! My question is, how long would I have to pump with the hand pump in order to maintain my supply? Or how much milk should I try to obtain? I am just trying to make sure I pump enough in a short session in order to signal to negative feedback to keep the supply up. I will be most likely using my PISA for the 30 minute session, but not for the short sessions if the hand pump keeps being so successful. I just got 4.5 oz in about 15 minutes. Also, how important is it to continue pumping after milk has stopped? If I have a decent amount of milk, I usually stop when the milk stops coming. I have very rarely gotten a second letdown on the PISA, but I also very rarely even bother with it. Will this be a problem when I am pumping more often?

Tia! You BF gurus are seriously the best!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @rosalie12 Your pumping plan sounds great. It's ok that your hours are odd so you won't have a schedule, just plan to pump every 2-3 hours regardless, and try not to let your breasts get too full.

If you do notice that you're not able to pump as much as time goes by, you can work to add in an extra pumping session to keep up your supply. As long as you're pumping what LO needs every day, and reconnecting and nursing exclusively when you're at home, you should be just fine. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have 2 questions...

1) I pumped yesterday and stuck the milk in the fridge and forgot to freeze it later on. Is okay to put 1 day old milk in the freezer or do I need to use up and replace with fresh milk?

2) I have been pumping 4-5 extra oz after DD's first feeding in the morning that have been going straight to the freezer. I think I'm about ready to stop adding to my stash; however, I also pump in the evening to replace one of her feedings. I like pumping first thing in the morning better than in the evening so I was wondering if I pumped the morning milk could I use it for the evening without affecting my supply in the evening? I just don't know if supply is a daily thing or a per feeding thing. Does that make sense? Does my body produce so many ounces PER day or is it PER time of the day? I wouldn't want to skip the morning pumping session here or there and then not have enough supply in the evening to feed DD. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    starla487 said:

Wait... You shouldn't freeze previous day's pumps? That's how my entire freezer stash got started.

Me too... I've even frozen 3 day old milk before. :/
  • Options

starla487 said:

Wait... You shouldn't freeze previous day's pumps? That's how my entire freezer stash got started.

It's totally fine.
    This!! It's generally recommended to freeze pumped milk within 3 days, but if you forget, you can always use the sniff test to see if it's still good.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    It's totally fine.
    This!! It's generally recommended to freeze pumped milk within 3 days, but if you forget, you can always use the sniff test to see if it's still good.
    Good to know!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @Cantisa Yes, they can get smaller/drain partially when you nurse or pump. @keelyd gave great recs. if you have a clean diaper in your purse ;), pouring some hot water into it can make a good warm compress, since they're so absorbent. Using a comb to comb it gently toward the nipple after applying the warm compress can also break it up. Then pump. It may stick around until you're home and LO can nurse. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    keelyd said:

Emerald27 said:

@Cantisa Yes, they can get smaller/drain partially when you nurse or pump. @keelyd gave great recs. if you have a clean diaper in your purse ;), pouring some hot water into it can make a good warm compress, since they're so absorbent. Using a comb to comb it gently toward the nipple after applying the warm compress can also break it up. Then pump. It may stick around until you're home and LO can nurse. Good luck!

I am the queen of plugged ducts at this point... :neutral_face:
    You really are! How is the angry one these days?
    imageimage
  • Options
    AmyG* said:

@keelyd have you talked to dr about having an ultrasound treatment to try to break up the clog? are you taking high dose of lecithin?

This is a great idea!
    imageimage
  • Options
    My question is about bf babies but not feeding in general. I hope y'all don't mind but I hate to start a thread. How do you tell if a bf baby has diarrhea? Is it always that obvious?? DH has diarrhea for 48 hrs last week. Lo had an episode a few days ago. I knew because there was a pool of liquid in his diaper and I watched him have another liquidy poop while changing him. He's had only one other questionable poop in several days but tonight he pooped and it went all the way up the front and back of the diaper! I couldn't tell for sure if it was diarrhea or not. Sorry dumb FTM question!! He's eating well, playing constantly and has plenty of wet diapers. Tia!!
  • Options
    Jennyc00 said:

My question is about bf babies but not feeding in general. I hope y'all don't mind but I hate to start a thread. How do you tell if a bf baby has diarrhea? Is it always that obvious?? DH has diarrhea for 48 hrs last week. Lo had an episode a few days ago. I knew because there was a pool of liquid in his diaper and I watched him have another liquidy poop while changing him. He's had only one other questionable poop in several days but tonight he pooped and it went all the way up the front and back of the diaper! I couldn't tell for sure if it was diarrhea or not. Sorry dumb FTM question!! He's eating well, playing constantly and has plenty of wet diapers. Tia!!

This is an excellent question! Because breastfed baby poop is often very liquidy. Diarrhea in breastfed babies has more to do with frequency than consistency or size of the poop. If baby abruptly begins pooping much more often, he may have diarrhea.

Watch for a fever and lethargy, and nurse nurse nurse as often as he'll take the breast, to speed recovery AND so importantly, prevent dehydration. Also call the doctor if you suspect LO is really sick. Follow your instincts. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    keelyd said:

AmyG* said:

have you tried using a handheld massager for breaking it up at home?

Don't have one, but I have used a vibrating toothbrush numerous times. This is the plug that won't quit. I've been able to see the little tips of hardened milk at the nipple for a long time, but nothing has seemed to help move them.
    How close to your nipple is the plug? Is it deep within your breast or near the surface?
    imageimage
  • Options

Does anyone have tips on getting a primarily bf baby to take a bottle from someone besides mom? It's almost like she doesn't believe anyone else can feed her so she freaks out if daddy tries the bottle. But she will take it ok from me some times. (Right after naps, milk must be really warm). I'm going back to work on Monday and really worried about her eating at daycare. She will only be there 4 hours Mon but 8-9 hours a day after that.

I wish I had some input in this realm but want to wish you good luck. We are struggling with the same thing. I think our problem is more that LO doesn't know how to suck from a bottle- she just thinks it's a playful chew toy. But at least she'll put it her mouth from me. With anyone else she tends to get angry and fussy.

Are you doing something calming that her dad is not? I'm totally not trying to say your husband is doing anything wring, but I found that when my DH gives my LO the bottle he doesn't make it as pleasant of an experience. Not that he is cruel or anything but he doesn't give as much smiles or eye to eye contact, and doesn't seem to watch as closely to her cues. He tries but it's just not as... Sensitive I guess. I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    @theresat858‌ If she takes the bottle well from you but not DH, here are a couple different things to try:

1. Make daddy as much like mommy as possible:
    - sleep with a receiving blanket on your pillow, then have DH drape it over his shoulder/arm when he feeds LO
    - show him what position you bottle feed in, and have him feed LO in the same chair, etc.

If that doesn't help...

2. Make daddy as different from mommy as possible:
    - have him try holding her in different positions, even sitting on his lap, leaning against him. Or propped up on his knees, facing him.
    - have DH offer the bottles in different rooms/chairs
    - try both warm and cool bottles
    - see if LO will take the bottle while DH carries her around
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been asked, but if baby starts sleeping through the night, do I need to add a middle of the night pump to keep up my supply? Baby only takes one side per feeding unless he is especially hungry (rarely and usually in the evening), so it could be 10-12 hours before one side gets emptied. It didn't feel especially engorged this morning so I'm guessing it was ok? I just like to second guess myself!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options

I'm sure this has been asked, but if baby starts sleeping through the night, do I need to add a middle of the night pump to keep up my supply? Baby only takes one side per feeding unless he is especially hungry (rarely and usually in the evening), so it could be 10-12 hours before one side gets emptied. It didn't feel especially engorged this morning so I'm guessing it was ok? I just like to second guess myself!

If it's gradual enough, then you don't really need to pump or express. But sudden extreme changes in sleep like that can make you engorged and put you at risk for plugged ducts. When DS sleeps long stretches, I usually wake up feeling full and uncomfortable before he does. I try to dream feed, and if he won't, I can hand express. That's what I'd suggest. To make the supply adjustment easier on yourself, dream feed or pump or hand express some in the middle of baby's long sleep stretch.
    imageimage
  • Options
    MrMrsandBabyMrMrsandBaby member
    edited January 2015
    In 56 pages I'm not sure these have been asked but I was like 20 pages behind so sorry if it is a repeat.

Brooke eats for a total of about 75 minutes a day. 30 - 45 of that is overnight. During the day she only does about 4-8 minute sessions and only on one side. Overnight it is to both sides and 14-16 minutes (usually 3 overnight sessions). How do I get this switched around? She is waking up every three hours overnight so I'm only getting like 2 hours of sleep each time.

Also, is it worry some that she can (and will) go up to 7 hours during the day without eating. She naps and has active time but no interest in the boobs.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    I'm going back to work in less than 3 weeks and really nervous about my supply. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that has a private office specifically reserved for pumping mothers, and my position is flexible enough that I shouldn't have a problem getting in all the pumps I need during my work day. I'm hoping my supply won't dip, but if it does and my baby's caretaker needs to supplement with formula during the day, would I still be able to come home and EBF him for the nights and weekends?

I don't want to give up the nursing relationship I've established with DS. I feel like breastfeeding was my own personal Everest that took me six long, painful, challenging weeks before I hit my stride and felt confident. And finally stopped dreading it. LO and I went through so much to get to where we are now in our breastfeeding relationship. I don't want to have to give it up now that the going finally got good, you know?
  • Options

I'm going back to work in less than 3 weeks and really nervous about my supply. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that has a private office specifically reserved for pumping mothers, and my position is flexible enough that I shouldn't have a problem getting in all the pumps I need during my work day. I'm hoping my supply won't dip, but if it does and my baby's caretaker needs to supplement with formula during the day, would I still be able to come home and EBF him for the nights and weekends?

I don't want to give up the nursing relationship I've established with DS. I feel like breastfeeding was my own personal Everest that took me six long, painful, challenging weeks before I hit my stride and felt confident. And finally stopped dreading it. LO and I went through so much to get to where we are now in our breastfeeding relationship. I don't want to have to give it up now that the going finally got good, you know?

This was my story with DS1! We were able to continue BF until he was a year old. His sitter supplemented during the day with formula and I continued pumping and sending whatever I got during the day. We were able to EBF nights and weekends. So yes! It can be done! Good luck!
  • Options
    AmyG* said:

Keep days noisy, bright, no swaddling, offer to nurse very very often, closer to every 2 hours or 2.5-3 hours. Nag baby so they don't go so long during the day without eating.

Then keep nights very very quiet, swaddle tightly, no lights, keep interactions to a minimum.

first thing in the am take baby outside and get some daylight on the retina.  That can help to reset baby's internal clock. 

Yup, already doing all of that (except going outside...too cold!). Hopefully it's just a phase.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    @deezidee04‌ Try not to worry unless there's actually a problem. Many many mothers pump at work and breastfeed successfully, even for 2+ years! And your supply is not so fragile that if you were to notice a dip, you couldn't bring it back up. Especially since you have a flexible schedule.

Making sure that baby is not overfed at daycare is one important way to protect your supply. Start by nursing just before you leave LO and immediately upon your return. That way he will not need a bottle for the first couple hours of the day (so he'll need fewer total oz), and you can ask his caregiver to distract and soothe him in other ways for the last hour or so of the day, so that he will nurse readily when you get there.

Here's some helpful info regarding overfeeding at daycare:
    https://sdbfc.com/blog/2013/10/9/top-10-ways-to-stop-caregivers-from-overfeeding-your-breastf.html#.VKf9KUY8Lv4

Another way to protect your supply is to pump often and avoid allowing your breasts to become full. Pumping every 2-3 hours when you're away from LO should be enough to both maintain your supply and to get enough milk for LO to drink the following day. If you're not getting enough, add a pumping session (and make sure LO is not being overfed at daycare).

Yet another way to protect your supply is to have a "no bottles when mom and baby are together" policy. Like Theresa said, baby is more efficient than the pump. It's best for your supply to nurse baby when you're fogether instead of offering bottles.

Again, try not to worry! The mothers who lose their supply when they return to work often don't pump enough or their babies are fed too much when they're away, so that less of their total daily intake comes from mom and her supply diminishes. Armed with the best info and a good pumping plan, you'll be set up for success! :)

imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you guys! This makes me feel better. :)
  • Options
    So even if I'm not pumping every 2 to 3 hours at work but am getting as much or more as dd eats during my sessions will my supply be fine?
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2 said:

So even if I'm not pumping every 2 to 3 hours at work but am getting as much or more as dd eats during my sessions will my supply be fine?

Probably, yes. But it depends on how long you're waiting (how full you're allowing your breasts to become), and how much nursing LO is doing at home.

How often are you able to pump? And how long and frequent are your work days? :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

sabby2 said:

Probably, yes. But it depends on how long you're waiting (how full you're allowing your breasts to become), and how much nursing LO is doing at home.

How often are you able to pump? And how long and frequent are your work days? :)
    Full time, usually 8 hour work days.. 4 to 5 hours between pumping and at home dd usually nurses every 2 hours until bedtime and then usually sttn.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

sabby2 said:

Emerald27 said:

sabby2 said:

Full time, usually 8 hour work days.. 4 to 5 hours between pumping and at home dd usually nurses every 2 hours until bedtime and then usually sttn.
    Could you use a manual pump for five minutes at the 2ish hour mark?
    The problem is getting away for even 15 minutes. I had my manual pump with me on Friday.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    edited January 2015
    Going back to work tomorrow :((
    ETA: it didn't post my entire comment!

I took milk from my freezer stash this AM and put it in the fridge to thaw. It's not completely thawed. Should I have waited and just taken it out tomorrow?

I'm sending 10 oz because LO was taking in about 4 when we did a weighted feed a couple weeks ago. He should only need 2 feedings while I'm gone. I'm wondering if we'll be able to save leftovers that haven't been warmed and partially fed until tues. ?
  • Options
    I have a couple different 1 oz portions of breast milk from 2 different days. Can I mix it in a bottle?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"