April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• baileymama3baileymama3 member
    edited February 2014
    Okay so everyone is talking about "startling" the baby. My baby is not affected in the slightest by dog barking, farting, burping, etc. He only moves on his schedule or like 30 minutes after I eat...Does anyone else have an unaffected baby?? Should I be concerned at all? edit: clarity

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • They can deliver breech babies but with the advancements in science and c-sections they would rather not. I was born vaginally, butt first. My poor mom.
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you give birth naturally to a breech baby or do they automatically say you need a c-section?

I know goats can do it depending on where the head and legs are. And if the head is in the wrong place you can reach in and rearrange them. Carefully of course.

Why not people?

Humans can definitely deliver breech! But a lot of OBs no longer receive training on how to do facilitate a breech birth and would rather do a CS...so it really depends on your provider!
    My understand is that it can also depend on the type of breech position the baby is in. We had an additional sono to check on the placenta placement and baby X was sideways across my stomach with his feet above his head. The OB called it "frank breech" and seemed to think that might be a problem if baby didn't turn before labor. However the midwife that I'm working with generally allows labor to start for breech babies because she feels that they do turn with some contractions and labor positions that encourage turning. Obviously the situation would be closely monitored and transferring to the hospital is always an option.

Personally I feel that OBs are not being trained on vaginal breech birth because it's easier to teach c-sections. They have to learn so much in medical school it probably seemed like something to cut.
  • nikki912 said:
    For FTM some places do the 4-1-1 rule and do the 5-1-1 for STM. I will not be going in If my water breaks after 37 weeks, I'm GBS neg., and the fluid is not green/brown/bright red. I will labor at home until the 5-1-1 rule. 
    Ok- what would you do if you were GBS+ ? I had + urine test and I'm sure I'll test + again (I think I have been every time they test me, I'm just an incubus of bacteria apparently.)
    I'm trying for a VBAC and I want to labor as home as long as possible because I want to be unmedicated, but I'm wondering if it's safe. My Dr. of course will tell me to come in asap no matter what but they'll have me stuck in bed since I'm VBAC and need to be monitored apparently.
    Also, I'm one of the few that had a horrendous epidural.  The catheter going into my spine was some of the worst pain I've ever felt. It wasn't until I talked to other moms that I learned it's not normal. I'm not even able to talk about it without getting upset. I also had nerve pain in my back for a long time afterwards so it's not something I want to do again ever. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Okay so everyone is talking about "startling" the baby. My baby is not affected in the slightest by dog barking, farting, burping, etc. He only moves on his schedule or like 30 minutes after I eat...Does anyone else have an unaffected baby?? Should I be concerned at all? edit: clarity

I wouldn't be concerned, I've only felt my LO jump at things twice - once when DH had left the stereo in the truck blasting on his way home from work and forgot to turn it down before shutting the engine off, so it was super loud when we got in to run errands the next day, and again the other night when I was making fried eggs and got splattered by the oil, causing me to drop the pan a couple inches back onto the stove. :P

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • JoelleOK said:
    Can you give birth naturally to a breech baby or do they automatically say you need a c-section? I know goats can do it depending on where the head and legs are. And if the head is in the wrong place you can reach in and rearrange them. Carefully of course. Why not people?
    Humans can definitely deliver breech! But a lot of OBs no longer receive training on how to do facilitate a breech birth and would rather do a CS...so it really depends on your provider!
    My understand is that it can also depend on the type of breech position the baby is in. We had an additional sono to check on the placenta placement and baby X was sideways across my stomach with his feet above his head. The OB called it "frank breech" and seemed to think that might be a problem if baby didn't turn before labor. However the midwife that I'm working with generally allows labor to start for breech babies because she feels that they do turn with some contractions and labor positions that encourage turning. Obviously the situation would be closely monitored and transferring to the hospital is always an option. Personally I feel that OBs are not being trained on vaginal breech birth because it's easier to teach c-sections. They have to learn so much in medical school it probably seemed like something to cut.
    My hospital will do vaginal breech deliveries. This article is interesting: https://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Obstetric_Practice/Mode_of_Term_Singleton_Breech_Delivery

I don't think this was "cut" because c/s are easier it's more of a shift in what was felt to be the safest approach for mom/baby (although that is certainly debatable) that lead to a loss of people trained in the skills necessary.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.

• nikki912 said:

For FTM some places do the 4-1-1 rule and do the 5-1-1 for STM.

I will not be going in If my water breaks after 37 weeks, I'm GBS neg., and the fluid is not green/brown/bright red. I will labor at home until the 5-1-1 rule. 

Ok- what would you do if you were GBS+ ? I had + urine test and I'm sure I'll test + again (I think I have been every time they test me, I'm just an incubus of bacteria apparently.)
    I'm trying for a VBAC and I want to labor as home as long as possible because I want to be unmedicated, but I'm wondering if it's safe. My Dr. of course will tell me to come in asap no matter what but they'll have me stuck in bed since I'm VBAC and need to be monitored apparently.
    Also, I'm one of the few that had a horrendous epidural.  The catheter going into my spine was some of the worst pain I've ever felt. It wasn't until I talked to other moms that I learned it's not normal. I'm not even able to talk about it without getting upset. I also had nerve pain in my back for a long time afterwards so it's not something I want to do again ever. 

I was gbs+ with my first and unfortunately it does hinder your ability to labour at home; depending on the situation you may be able to get antibiotics then return home but by the time you are in hospital you will likely just want to stay. Having to get the IV was a pain during my natural hospital labour, but it wasn't the end if the world. I labored at home until I was 5cm then went in and got hooked up. And just because you've tested positive for it before doesn't mean you will again.

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Ok.  I swear everything is stacking against me and my unmedicated VBAC.  

:((

• @Bees Everywhere I talked to my OB about when to come in because I want to labor at home for as long as possible too (FTM) but I'm positive for GBS. She said ideally they would like to be able to give me the antibiotic at least three hours before birth, but if not, we can always give baby the medicine after birth if necessary. The only thing she pointed out is that if that did happen and they couldn't get enough of the antibiotic administered before birth, it would probably mean a longer hospital stay for baby and I to make sure it didn't cause any problems. She didn't seem concerned with me staying at home for as long as I can, even knowing I'll need the antibiotic, because she knows I'm trying to go as natural as possible. But maybe that's just the way my particular OB feels?
  • poru said:
    nikki912 said:
    For FTM some places do the 4-1-1 rule and do the 5-1-1 for STM. I will not be going in If my water breaks after 37 weeks, I'm GBS neg., and the fluid is not green/brown/bright red. I will labor at home until the 5-1-1 rule. 

While I wish I had stayed home last time and labored there instead of going in when my water broke per policy, I would not do that if I was a VBAC. The main risk of a VBAC is uterine rupture. If you are in the hospital, they can likely save your baby. If you are home, they can't, there is no way they can get to baby in time. I personally would go in and just be clear about your desire to not be medicated.
    Yeah but the whole reason I wanted to labor at home is once I get to the hospital I'm stuck in bed being monitored because I'm VBAC and I don't want to do that unmedicated. I seriously have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. Every plan I make for myself of how I'm going to get through labor without meds is getting squashed. I wanted to labor in tub, I wanted to move a lot and try different positions and now it's looking like none of that is possible. I can't even face the idea of getting an epidural again because of my previous experience so I just am totally lost. I don't know what I'm going to do. Cry I guess.

• I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll ask. They have one portable one in the hospital I'm at so maybe I'll luck out, the mat. Care coordinator was like " yeah we have one good luck getting it". I seriously don't understand just having one for the whole maternity ward.

• Pregsomnia. In our hospital, at least what the maternity care coordinator said, I am going to be restricted to the bed. She said I can stand beside the bed or sit on a ball beside the bed ( in my experience SPD + birthing ball = super painful so that doesn't interest me.) I don't know why there's a need for constant monitoring. I have a feeling I'm going to be a terrible patient.

• I love that the goat people are coming out to play!

DH keeps saying he's gonna put me out with the goats when I get close... Save on hospital bills, lol.

Never pulled a goat with rope, did it end well?

My goat is ( hopefully ) due a week after me. Hoping for an easy delivery for both of us :) and no breech babies.

...no, it didn't end well. (Morbid story warning) The kid was stuck breech and the doe couldn't deliver. My mom had to tie a rope around the back legs and try to pull it out of mom. So... the legs of the kid ripped off completely and hit my mom in the chest. Kid goat was stillborn to begin with. And that is why OBs like to do c-sections ;)

Shouldn't your goat be delivering this month? I thought all ours had kids around February.

Okay sorry I'm sidetracking the stupid questions thread. No more goat talk.

Oh that's so sad :(

I bred My doe as late as I could so she'd give birtg after me so that I can assist if needed. Although assistance is rarely needed in goats.

My human baby has been head first since 30 weeks so hopefully she stays that way. I was just curious about human breech birth. I switched to midwives so maybe they have more experience than an OB would.
  • haziedaze said:

JoelleOK said:

Can you give birth naturally to a breech baby or do they automatically say you need a c-section?

I know goats can do it depending on where the head and legs are. And if the head is in the wrong place you can reach in and rearrange them. Carefully of course.

Why not people?

My understand is that it can also depend on the type of breech position the baby is in. We had an additional sono to check on the placenta placement and baby X was sideways across my stomach with his feet above his head. The OB called it "frank breech" and seemed to think that might be a problem if baby didn't turn before labor. However the midwife that I'm working with generally allows labor to start for breech babies because she feels that they do turn with some contractions and labor positions that encourage turning. Obviously the situation would be closely monitored and transferring to the hospital is always an option.

Personally I feel that OBs are not being trained on vaginal breech birth because it's easier to teach c-sections. They have to learn so much in medical school it probably seemed like something to cut.

My hospital will do vaginal breech deliveries. This article is interesting: https://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Obstetric_Practice/Mode_of_Term_Singleton_Breech_Delivery

I don't think this was "cut" because c/s are easier it's more of a shift in what was felt to be the safest approach for mom/baby (although that is certainly debatable) that lead to a loss of people trained in the skills necessary.

Thanks for the link!
  • thomas930thomas930 member
    edited February 2014
    Okay this sounds stupid but it's a legitimate question. I stop drinking fluids around 6:30-7:00 pm every night in the hopes that by the time I've gone to bed at 11:00-11:30, I'll have finished hitting the bathroom every 30 minutes. WRONG-I still get up twice at night and even by the time morning comes and it's been about 12-14 hours since my last drink, I'm still peeing like I did at 6 pm the night before! WHERE ARE THESE FLUIDS COMING FROM AHHH
    No matter when I stop drinking I still get up to pee every 2 hours on the dot during the night.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love that the goat people are coming out to play! DH keeps saying he's gonna put me out with the goats when I get close... Save on hospital bills, lol. Never pulled a goat with rope, did it end well? My goat is ( hopefully ) due a week after me. Hoping for an easy delivery for both of us :) and no breech babies.
    ...no, it didn't end well. (Morbid story warning) The kid was stuck breech and the doe couldn't deliver. My mom had to tie a rope around the back legs and try to pull it out of mom. So... the legs of the kid ripped off completely and hit my mom in the chest. Kid goat was stillborn to begin with. And that is why OBs like to do c-sections ;) Shouldn't your goat be delivering this month? I thought all ours had kids around February. Okay sorry I'm sidetracking the stupid questions thread. No more goat talk.
    Oh that's so sad :( I bred My doe as late as I could so she'd give birtg after me so that I can assist if needed. Although assistance is rarely needed in goats. My human baby has been head first since 30 weeks so hopefully she stays that way. I was just curious about human breech birth. I switched to midwives so maybe they have more experience than an OB would.
    We should start our own thread with animal birth horror stories. I have some good cow ones, graphic and all. haha
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Eija3014 said:
    @Bees Everywhere I talked to my OB about when to come in because I want to labor at home for as long as possible too (FTM) but I'm positive for GBS. She said ideally they would like to be able to give me the antibiotic at least three hours before birth, but if not, we can always give baby the medicine after birth if necessary. The only thing she pointed out is that if that did happen and they couldn't get enough of the antibiotic administered before birth, it would probably mean a longer hospital stay for baby and I to make sure it didn't cause any problems. She didn't seem concerned with me staying at home for as long as I can, even knowing I'll need the antibiotic, because she knows I'm trying to go as natural as possible. But maybe that's just the way my particular OB feels?
    If you are GBS positive and don't get antibiotics in time it means a big blood draw for the baby to check the white blood cell count and then maybe baby needing an IV and 48 hours of antibiotics. Definitely not ideal! Just don't want you to think the baby can get oral antibiotics or something.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • @ Bees Everywhere this is why we are attempting our VBAC at home. The idea of another epideral scares the shit out of me, I can't handle that again. I also can handle the thought of being tied to the bed again. I have discussed this with my new OB (met her yesterday) and while she doesn't like HBAC she completely understands my fears and hopes I chicken out and come into the hospital to deliver. I loved labouring in the birthing tub last time and had no pain at all until I got to the hospital. I just can't imagine doing the whole (or any) of my labour there voluntarily again. I had nightmares for 4 months after my c/s and they've started to return. There just isn't enough Ativan, even if is was safe to take, in the whole world. I totally know how you feel...

• nikki912 said:

For FTM some places do the 4-1-1 rule and do the 5-1-1 for STM.

I will not be going in If my water breaks after 37 weeks, I'm GBS neg., and the fluid is not green/brown/bright red. I will labor at home until the 5-1-1 rule. 

I haven't done enough research on GBS to make an informed decision. If I knew I was positive I'd research the risks/benefits of waiting and compare that to statistical outcomes of both scenarios. I'd of course also take my doctors recommendation under advisement.

I'm sorry you have to think about this complication!!!

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Stupid question: 

If I am just starting to leak colostrum (a very tiny bit noticed on my nipples) should I start wearing nursing pads now? I don't want to waste them, but I am unsure if one day it will just start spraying out unannounced. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• jgreig83 said:
    Stupid question: 

If I am just starting to leak colostrum (a very tiny bit noticed on my nipples) should I start wearing nursing pads now? I don't want to waste them, but I am unsure if one day it will just start spraying out unannounced. 
    If you're worried about waste then get some of the washable/reusable ones. It's not going to come gushing out like a fire hose but for some women it will be enough to leak through clothes randomly. Personally I went with using the washables daily now rather than the embarrassment of leaking through at work if it is one of those days.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jgreig83 said:

Stupid question: 

If you're worried about waste then get some of the washable/reusable ones. It's not going to come gushing out like a fire hose but for some women it will be enough to leak through clothes randomly. Personally I went with using the washables daily now rather than the embarrassment of leaking through at work if it is one of those days.

I haven't been typically leaking every day, and when I do it hasn't been enough to get through an unpadded bra. Usually it's before/after a shower that I tend to notice it, and it just kinda feels like my nipples are stupid cold (ouch!) and then a teensy bit of colostrum comes out.
  • edited February 2014
    When you are go into labor, do you call your doctor immediately? Or do you typically wait until you reach that 5-1-1 rule listed above? Also, is it your doctor you call and then just show up at the hospital, or do you call the hospital and they call your doctor? I know that OBs typically aren't there throughout your whole labor, so who alerts them when you're progressing enough for them to come?
    I call my OB but she is a single practitioner and delivers every one of her patients' babies unless she is out of town or sick. I'm not sure what protocol is for a larger practice.
    My office has 5 OBs on staff - I'll get whoever is on call if it's outside of business hours, but I'm supposed to call the office to notify them I've gone into labor, so they can be on standby when the hospital calls them to come deliver my baby. Last time I called to inform them that my water had broken, and was strongly encouraged to go in as soon as possible - good thing I did cause I gave birth less than 3 hours after arriving at the hospital!
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I asked my midwives about delivering a breech baby vaginally and they said there isn't currently anyone in the state that does it.
  • Question about newborn clothes...

I freaked out and bought a bunch of newborn onsies from the Carter's sale the other day. They just came in and look super tiny. Even my mom was surprised. It says 5-8 lbs. I know there is no telling how big my baby will be, but is this size necessary? Does the 0-3 fit a newborn? Maybe I'm just freaked out at how tiny she might be!!! I know this is annoying!! But please help a FTM out! You can make fun of me too ;-)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @colleenswerb
    It seems like such a crap shoot! I hate that. At least the control freak in me hates it. I have about 10 NB onsies and bought a 4 pack of the side snap tops. I guess that's not too much. I don't know!! Thanks for your response!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @colleenswerb It seems like such a crap shoot! I hate that. At least the control freak in me hates it. I have about 10 NB onsies and bought a 4 pack of the side snap tops. I guess that's not too much. I don't know!! Thanks for your response!
    What if you keep the tags on and don't wash them? If you don't need them, return them. FWIW, DD was under 7 lbs when we brought her home and we made do just fine with 0-3mo sizes until she plumped up a little. This is one reason I love gowns when babies are NBs -- they are pretty forgiving size-wise!
    @AcaAwkward I don't see many of the newborn gowns when I've looked in baby departments.  Carter's has a few but do you see them in a lot of places?  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • DS was 7lbs 5 oz when he was born and newborns were big on him. We had 2 preemie onsies that fit perfect, so who knows! He didn't wear 0-3 until he was about 6 weeks. It completely depends in their body, so just wait to wash most of them.
  • Anyone in love with halo sleepsacks or are they just a gimmicky blanket? I received one at my shower and wondering if I should buy more.

imageimage
  • LoriMc12 said:

Heidiman said:

@colleenswerb
    It seems like such a crap shoot! I hate that. At least the control freak in me hates it. I have about 10 NB onsies and bought a 4 pack of the side snap tops. I guess that's not too much. I don't know!! Thanks for your response!

What if you keep the tags on and don't wash them? If you don't need them, return them.

FWIW, DD was under 7 lbs when we brought her home and we made do just fine with 0-3mo sizes until she plumped up a little. This is one reason I love gowns when babies are NBs -- they are pretty forgiving size-wise!

@AcaAwkward I don't see many of the newborn gowns when I've looked in baby departments.  Carter's has a few but do you see them in a lot of places?  

I've seen the ones at Carters and I know Old Navy and Gap usually carry them as well! I've bought most of mine from more boutique-y places though (Kate Quinn sells some of my very favorites!).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • poru said:

Anyone in love with halo sleepsacks or are they just a gimmicky blanket? I received one at my shower and wondering if I should buy more.

I loved them! Everyone has different swaddle/sack styles though. So I would keep your one, and then amazon prime (mom) them if you end up liking them. We still use them at 2.5yo (the toddler versions with feet. We didn't use the attached swaddled one longer than 2-3 months though.

Love them. DD could bust her arms out of the Velcro swaddle part, but I kept using it anyway. Then bought the non-swaddle type at some point... Will absolutely use them again. It was a gift from my NICU NP cousin because it's what her NICU uses with the preemies.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Anyone in love with halo sleepsacks or are they just a gimmicky blanket? I received one at my shower and wondering if I should buy more.

I loved these! We got some 0-3 mth ones from the hospital and liked them enough to buy the 3-6 mth one. We stopped using it once DS was strong enough to escape. We called it the "baby straight-jacket." DS definitely slept better with his arms swaddled.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"