April 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Options

Although pain is relative, how badly does the epidural hurt? I imagine a thick needle going into your spine is pretty dreadful.

Mine hurt, most people say theirs didn't.

From what I've been told, the pinch of a needle is welcome when you're trying to get rid of the feeling of contractions. My best friend said she was so loopy from the pain she doesn't even remember getting hers.

I'm scared since I planned on no drugs now I have to have one because of the c-section.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Although pain is relative, how badly does the epidural hurt? I imagine a thick needle going into your spine is pretty dreadful.
    I went into it prepared for it to hurt and tensed up and squeezed my husbands hands pretty hard. I don't remember it being painful though. Not sure if being tense helped or not, either way I think I remember thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I also think they may have timed it in between contractions which helped.

knock on wood that happens again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    i have a contribution for today:

do you need to call a pediatrician beforehand to forewarn them that you plan on using their office for your forthcoming baby?  i'm going to call mine anyway to ask directly, but figured i'd put it out here too.  it's the same office where we take kiddo, so they already know our family, but it's NOT the practice that is typically associated with my delivering hospital...  we're choosing to go elsewhere.
  • Options

do you need to call a pediatrician beforehand to forewarn them that you plan on using their office for your forthcoming baby?  i'm going to call mine anyway to ask directly, but figured i'd put it out here too.  it's the same office where we take kiddo, so they already know our family, but it's NOT the practice that is typically associated with my delivering hospital...  we're choosing to go elsewhere.
    I mentioned the new baby at one of DD's appointments, they just said call when it arrives & they'll schedule us. They also do not have rights at my delivering hospital.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dry shampoo?? I don't want to spend tons of money but will pay more than the $4 last time which resulted on looking like I dumped baby powder on my scalp. I figure it will be good to have since I won't be straightening my hair at the hospital or when I'm just too tired to do anything.
  • Options
    Mamamonzo said:

From what I've been told, the pinch of a needle is welcome when you're trying to get rid of the feeling of contractions. My best friend said she was so loopy from the pain she doesn't even remember getting hers.

I'm scared since I planned on no drugs now I have to have one because of the c-section.
    For a planned csection it's normally a spinal. I was terrified of it, so much more scared of that than the actual csection but it wasn't bad at all. It was just a small prick to numb and then a little uncomfortable. It took like 30 seconds and then they make you lay down FAST because your legs start getting numb really quickly.
    A part of c section I wasn't really aware of was the amount of pulling and tugging that you feel. It was uncomfortable but not awful, just surprising.
  • Options
    Mine was placed incorrectly the first time, so it hurt like a bitch. When he took it out and did it again, all I felt was pressure. I did lay in the same position for an hour and a half to get it in correctly, but it worked wonders. 
  • Options

Mamamonzo said:

It's different for a scheduled csection than an emergent one while in labor with contractions. I'm fairly certain you would get a spinal, not an epidural. Though I can't speak to the difference in the pain of administering it. I don't even remember getting my epidural.
    It 100% depends for a planned c-s on whether you receive a spinal or an epi. It seems to be pretty regional -- here in TX, most people get an epi. My anesthesiologist let me choose. You should ask your OB what you should expect and if you have a choice.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    @kcp913 said:

Does anyone know: if I tested positive for group b strep at my very first appointment if they will make me do the test again or just give me antibiotics? I know I go on the antibiotics come labor as a just in case, but I was wondering if I had to have the test again.

I think they'll test again because it's something that your body can and does naturally right off, so you could be negative again by 35/36w.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    kcp913 said:

Does anyone know: if I tested positive for group b strep at my very first appointment if they will make me do the test again or just give me antibiotics? I know I go on the antibiotics come labor as a just in case, but I was wondering if I had to have the test again.

They only happened to catch the group b strep at my first appointment, they weren't looking for it or anything.

ETA I am going to ask at my appointment tonight, I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this

If it were me, I'd make them retest me before automatically giving me the antibiotics. Strep B cycles in and out of the body on the regular and I would not want to be taking antibiotics unnecessarily based on a test from 6 or 7 mo ago.
  • Options

No. At least according to my pediatrician. I called last week and they told me: you will see whatever pediatrician the hospital has on call at the time until you are released from the hospital. After you are released you call the office and set up the babies first office check up and they will get everything registered and your information in the system then.
  • Options
    kcp913 said:

They only happened to catch the group b strep at my first appointment, they weren't looking for it or anything.

ETA I am going to ask at my appointment tonight, I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this

It depends on where they found the GRoup B Strep. If they found it in your urine, you will need antibiotics no matter what. If they found it during a vaginal swab, you could be negative at your 35/36 week appointment and not need antibiotics in labor.
  • Options

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dry shampoo?? I don't want to spend tons of money but will pay more than the $4 last time which resulted on looking like I dumped baby powder on my scalp. I figure it will be good to have since I won't be straightening my hair at the hospital or when I'm just too tired to do anything.

What color hair do you have? dryBar makes a brunette version. If you can splurge $20 for it I'd go with the drybar version, it's my fav and smells really good.

If your looking for under $10 I'd go with loreal dry shampoo- it's not as powdery as others (like pssssst) I wasn't a fan of tressemee and couldnt stand the smell of it. I keep the loreal one on hand as a back up just incase (I only wash my hair once a week so I used dry shampoo frequently)

• Options
    Do you go to the hospital when your water breaks? Or when your contractions are within a certain time frame? I read that a lot of people want to labor at home for as long as possible but what does that mean? 
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Do you go to the hospital when your water breaks? Or when your contractions are within a certain time frame? I read that a lot of people want to labor at home for as long as possible but what does that mean? 

Ask your provider how they do it. I went in when contractions met the 5-1-1 rule (5 min apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour), but was also GBS+, so had my water broken before that, I'd have gone in then. STMs may have another 'rule' since things happen faster when your body has done it before.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options

Most people who are interested in delivering with minimal interventions are inclined to labor as long as possible at home so they don't have the pressure of the hospital's time table. As far as water breaking, that can happen at different times (before or after contractions start). Our natural birthing instructor said a good indicator of when to come in was 411 (contractions every 4 minutes, at least one minute long, for at least one hour). Of course this depends on how far you are from the hospital, if you want pain management interventions, etc.
  • Options
    ^^^ I feel like I should add that you should really speak with your practitioner about this as well!
    Thank you - I definitely will. I just had an appointment this morning but of course it's once I leave her office that all these questions come up. I will start making a list of questions for my next appointment. 
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When you are go into labor, do you call your doctor immediately? Or do you typically wait until you reach that 5-1-1 rule listed above? Also, is it your doctor you call and then just show up at the hospital, or do you call the hospital and they call your doctor? I know that OBs typically aren't there throughout your whole labor, so who alerts them when you're progressing enough for them to come?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options

I called just yesterday and they said to just inform the hospital that we'll be working with their practice, and then call to schedule our 4 day appointment after the baby is born. They always make room for their newborn appointments. The doc that will see the baby at the hospital will be from their sister practice. No need for paperwork in advance.

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • Options
    AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited February 2014
    hordol said:

When you are go into labor, do you call your doctor immediately? Or do you typically wait until you reach that 5-1-1 rule listed above? Also, is it your doctor you call and then just show up at the hospital, or do you call the hospital and they call your doctor? I know that OBs typically aren't there throughout your whole labor, so who alerts them when you're progressing enough for them to come?

I call my OB but she is a single practitioner and delivers every one of her patients' babies unless she is out of town or sick. I'm not sure what protocol is for a larger practice.
  • Options
    Oh and I would call when you know you're in labor to give them a heads up. Especially if you are at a small practice.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Options

I have tried them ALL and the best is the cheapest - Suave with keratin. I have even used the really expensive ones and nothing works better than the suave.
    Disagree. Oribe is the shiz-nit. You pay for it, but it lasts forever. I've had mine a year now and use it at least every other week.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options

Our family doesn't go totally insane, but MIL does like to spoil DS - we leave or being some toys back to her house for DS to play with when he visits. It cuts down on the clutter in our house and the overstimulation of a bazillion toys in one spot. I still think setting some limits is a good idea, but if it's a family culture and your DH is pretty comfortable with it, I think you'll probably have to compromise and receive a bit more than your ideal - so keeping that excess at grandma and grandpa's might help preserve your sanity!
    *sigh* You're probably right. It would break my inlaws hearts to tell them to tone it down and they would probably end up hating me (not even kidding.) I do like the idea of keeping some of the stuff at their house. They literally have no room in their house for anything (it's about 900 sq feet and they are kind of hoarders) so maybe keeping some stuff there will subtly get the point across anyway, heh.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    Does circumcision, should you choose it, happen in the hospital or at your peds office, assuming you're not waiting for a bris?
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options

Does circumcision, should you choose it, happen in the hospital or at your peds office, assuming you're not waiting for a bris?

My son's pediatrician did it at the hospital. We have moved across country now and my new OB will do it at the hospital. It varies on hospitals and doctors.
  • Options
    Can you give birth naturally to a breech baby or do they automatically say you need a c-section?

I know goats can do it depending on where the head and legs are. And if the head is in the wrong place you can reach in and rearrange them. Carefully of course.

Why not people?
  • Options
    With DD1 I was terrified of having a contraction during the epidural for fear of getting the shot in the wrong spot and becoming paralyzed (our class terrified DH and I about this). The shot brought so much relief that I fell asleep after receiving it - same with DD2. That relaxation progressed labor so quickly with both pregnancies that I dilated from 5 - 9 within about 30 min. I would love to not get an epidural this time but if I do I'm expecting a similar experience.
    imageimage

• Options
    I love that the goat people are coming out to play!

DH keeps saying he's gonna put me out with the goats when I get close... Save on hospital bills, lol.

Never pulled a goat with rope, did it end well?

My goat is ( hopefully ) due a week after me. Hoping for an easy delivery for both of us :) and no breech babies.
  • Options
    So I have a question. Jacobs original due date was 4-20 now it's 4-4 does that mean he was conceived earlier or that he is just growing fast and big? They said he is in the 80%
  • Options

So I have a question. Jacobs original due date was 4-20 now it's 4-4 does that mean he was conceived earlier or that he is just growing fast and big? They said he is in the 80%

When did they change the date?

Do you have gd?

• Options
    ^ he was measuring right on track in the beginning. I was just wondering
  • Options

They will do it at my hospital following delivery if I want them to, but I did some reading and decided to wait 10 days to establish a breat feeding routine first and then have him circumsized, at which point it will be done at the pediatrician's office.

Apparently the BF routine establishment first is favored by some, and it soothing/reassuring for them to nurse right after the procedure? I don't know for sure (FTM, what the hell do I know?) but I read it somewhere, which is why we opted for the delayed procedure.

• Options
    No GD it wasn't the dr that changed the date. We went to the elective ultrasound and she said that his edd is 4-4 instead
  • Options

Okay, going off my last question (don't smack me for not knowing this) what's the difference between a spinal and an epidural?

So! There is fluid around your spinal cord. An epidural is injected outside that sac of fluid and a catheter is left inside your body to keep administering pain meds. A spinal is injected into that sac and there is no catheter so it will wear off much quicker.

If you receive an epi for a c/s, the catheter is usually left in to administer post-op pain meds for a while. You are usually number for longer as well. Whereas the spinal wears off in about an hour and you will get pain meds through an arm IV or orally.

I know you didn't ask ;) but I did a spinal over the epi because I wanted that catheter out and my ability to walk restored ASAP! The less tubes for me, the better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"