April 2014 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

1235»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    Rogue237 said:
    I can tell you that as a child I never so much as picked up a Barbie. I read comic books and played with He-Man and She-Ra dolls. I wore Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle t-shirts and pants (almost never dresses). I'll be doing my best to get my daughter on the same path if I have one haha. 
    When I was in 8th grade I swore to my mom that I would wear white Umbros (remember those) as my "wedding dress".  It didn't happen but I was so not girlie growing up.  
    DS#1 Jack was born 3/29/12
    BFP #2 8/10/13, EDD 4/19/14 Team Green! 

• Options
    megan8127 said:
    Rogue237 said:
    I can tell you that as a child I never so much as picked up a Barbie. I read comic books and played with He-Man and She-Ra dolls. I wore Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle t-shirts and pants (almost never dresses). I'll be doing my best to get my daughter on the same path if I have one haha. 
    When I was in 8th grade I swore to my mom that I would wear white Umbros (remember those) as my "wedding dress".  It didn't happen but I was so not girlie growing up.  
    Umbros!!! OMG! Reminds me of P.E. class. You couldn't be cool in P.E. unless you had an awesome pair of umbros. They were super comfy!
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    megan8127 said:
    Rogue237 said:
    Umbros!!! OMG! Reminds me of P.E. class. You couldn't be cool in P.E. unless you had an awesome pair of umbros. They were super comfy!
    Umbros were the shit!  I thought getting dressed up for my first boy/girl party was a new pair of Umbros (the teal ones with the thin purple trim at the bottom) with a matching shirt.  I didn't like the Umbros that were one color on the left leg and one color on the right leg.  

• Options
    megan8127 said:
    megan8127 said:
    Rogue237 said:
    Umbros were the shit!  I thought getting dressed up for my first boy/girl party was a new pair of Umbros (the teal ones with the thin purple trim at the bottom) with a matching shirt.  I didn't like the Umbros that were one color on the left leg and one color on the right leg.  
    I just remembered, the first guy I ever kissed was wearing umbros at a girl/boy party. I thought the whole tongue thing was gross, so I dumped him two days later even though I really liked him. Funny how quickly that "its gross" thing changes...
  • Options
    megan8127 said:

I am all on board with boys being able to play with dolls, having kitchens, and anything else that is gender stereotyped as "female".  In fact, my son sleeps with his baby doll during every nap and at night. 

Alright, my UO aspect of this conversation: I think being concerned about the colors the toys come in just contributes to the gender stereotypes, ie boys shouldn't play with pink things.    

Thissssss!!!!!!
    My dad is an amazing horticulturist as well as a fantastic chef- why do flowers and cooking = girl??? Stupid.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    @kbuckleyharp are you hitting on my dad?!

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    Rogue237 said:

THIS!!!!! He-Man and She-Ra were my JAM! And Jem and the Holograms. They were truly, truly, TRULY outrageous. Did you ever watch The Ambiguously Gay Duo as an adult or teen? Realizing it's the same animator and near identical to He-Man and She-Ra.....changed things for me...forever. Brought a whole new dimention to those not-so-innocent Saturday morning cartoons. Was never able to look at Bow and Skelator the same way. :D
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options

Vomit belongs in toilets. The thought of someone throwing up in a sink is enough to make me throw up now. 

I work with all women and someone had morning sickness a whole back. Apparently she didn't want to barf in the toilet so she vom'd in the trash can instead, in the tiny one-stall bathroom. This happened at least once a day. It always reeked of barf. Sick!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    My UO...(didn't read the entire thread yet so I know it'll be completely off topic) I think the disney channel shows are ridiculously stupid. I cannot take the overacting. I feel like watching them kills brain cells. My future children can torture me with another channel!
    imageimage
  • Options
    meg.eliz1 said:
    I grew up in a household where my dad was in charge of meals. Now DH has taken on that role, I don't cook. When DH is out of town, he freezes crock pot meals ahead of time or cooks enough the day before to leave me left overs. 

@meg.eliz1 Do you want to trade husbands for a week?

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Rogue237 said:

THIS!!!!! He-Man and She-Ra were my JAM! And Jem and the Holograms. They were truly, truly, TRULY outrageous. Did you ever watch The Ambiguously Gay Duo as an adult or teen? Realizing it's the same animator and near identical to He-Man and She-Ra.....changed things for me...forever. Brought a whole new dimention to those not-so-innocent Saturday morning cartoons. Was never able to look at Bow and Skelator the same way. :D
    Yes!!! Loved Jem! And yes, I realized many things about He-man as an adult that I didn't pick up on as a kid hahaha. Enjoy this @BiggerinRealLife
    https://youtu.be/32FB-gYr49Y
  • Options

megan8127 said:

I am all on board with boys being able to play with dolls, having kitchens, and anything else that is gender stereotyped as "female".  In fact, my son sleeps with his baby doll during every nap and at night. 

Alright, my UO aspect of this conversation: I think being concerned about the colors the toys come in just contributes to the gender stereotypes, ie boys shouldn't play with pink things.    

I definitely agree with this! But I do like to seek out toys that are a bit more "gender neutral" in color for my girl, if possible...not because I don't want my girl playing with blue stuff, but because I like to support brands that haven't bought into the "if we cover it with pink glitter, girls will want it!" marketing strategy. Seriously, EVERYTHING is pink now... I hate it.

Eta: clarification
    Over-Thinking this even more, I've actually realized my "gender bias pendulum" has pretty swung the polar opposite direction when it comes to my daughter... ie: If my DD asks for the most manly looking monster truck toy on the market, I'd buy it for her without batting an eyelash. But if she begging for a pink bedazzled toy vacuum, I'd actually have a difficult time with that and would probably steer her towards something similar but that didn't scream GIRL. If DD were a boy, I don't think I'd really care either way.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.

And that concludes tonight's introspective tangent.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    knotty-girlknotty-girl member
    edited September 2013
    megan8127 said:

megan8127 said:

Rogue237 said:

Where are you gals from? I talk about wearing Umbros in the 6th grade and no one knows what I'm talking about! I played soccer but I remember EVERYONE wearing them. We used to pair them with white ribbed sport socks and we'd later two pairs so we could scrunch them but still have then kind of high. And my favorite Umbros were purple with fluorescent orangey-pink trim.
  • Options
    I'm not sure where you all live or what the trend this day is but it seems like everyone I know has a blog and is "blogging". If it's about their life I think that is awesome (like a journal or for distant family to see what your up to) but really fashion blog, baby blog, fitness blog, hair blog, pet blog, makeup blog, cross stich blog, antler decorating blog (this exists), giveaway blogs, trying to make your friends buy your homemade stuff blog, isn't that what etsy is for to sell the things you make?

I guess a big part of why this bugs me (because I do know that there are some wonderful blogs out there) but who has that much freaken time for everyone and their dog to have a blog?! And of course they always look perfect and the kids look perfect, are they trying to make others think they are perfect? I just know I'm not going to have days to even hop on the web with my twins let alone take a shower, and we Definitely aren't and won't be perfect but I want my kids and husband to feel like I spend my time with them and not other blogging mamas 24/7 (unless my friends want to go to lunch with me and see me in person).

The end hope I don't get punched now :/
  • Options
    minnemamabearminnemamabear member
    edited September 2013
    Agreed on the wedding invites...if a guest or child isn't on the invite and they show up, that is beyond rude. HOWEVER, it really grinds my gears when I have To go to a family wedding, out of town, and pay a babysitter for an entire weekend because all my free, related babysitters are at said wedding. That means I am likely dropping nearly a grand to be there for your big day. You bet your ass you're getting the $30 toaster. ETA: and no, I don't want a thank you card for the toaster. They generally just remind me how little we know each other with their impersonal, generic message.
    image   image   imageimage
    William Lawrence 5.18.11
    #2 Due 4.4.14

• Options
    @Rogue237 I officially love you. The Hubs and I just DIED. He-Man and Four Non-Blondes...all my favorite things in one fabulous vid.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options
    pineconey said:
    @kbuckleyharp are you hitting on my dad?!

Dude, if the man cooks...:-D
  • Options
    Serenla said:
    I don't like when people take naked pictures of babies. A picture is just as cute when they have clothes on. Or when they put pictures of children in the bath on the internet and don't cover them up.
    Aw there is nothing cuter than a baby butt.
    Baby feet ;)

Oh, oh, those plump and pink baby lips and chunky monkey fingers! IMO, so adorable!
    Baby #1: Elena 4/6/14
    Baby #2: Grayson EDD 10/22/16

• Options
    megan8127 said:
    Rogue237 said:
    Where are you gals from? I talk about wearing Umbros in the 6th grade and no one knows what I'm talking about! I played soccer but I remember EVERYONE wearing them. We used to pair them with white ribbed sport socks and we'd later two pairs so we could scrunch them but still have then kind of high. And my favorite Umbros were purple with fluorescent orangey-pink trim.
    I'm from St. Louis, which is a huge soccer city.  I played soccer but yep, EVERYONE wore them, even parents.  Who didn't wear the two different colored socks?  We alternated ours....red-white on one foot, white-red on the other.  Too cool!

• Options
    AcaAwkward I agree-the one exception I make is the breast cancer nfl merch since proceeds go to research
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"