November 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• @ponyoisfun I had one they found it at 5 weeks and at 17 weeks I had a friend do an ultrasound at her shop and it was gone. It had taken care of itself. I’m now 19/2 next week at the AS they will confirm it is gone. 
  • Has anyone else had marginal cord insertion or does anyone currently have it? That was my only concern with my 18wk anatomy scan, and I just talked with my doctor about the results at my 20wk appointment. He said that he has rarely seen any complications arise from it, and he was very pleased with baby’s growth overall. He said there is nothing we can do except track baby’s growth carefully, and recommended another anatomy scan at 30wks. I felt a lot better after going over the results and seeing how positive my doctor was, but I was curious to hear other’s experiences.
  • Loading the player...
  • 19w5d and my belly just feels heavy. With my first two it took longer before it had that heavy feeling. But man-o-man I wasn’t ready for this yet. Anyone else feeling it?
  • hre175hre175 member
    edited June 2022
    @chuckle_sandwich yes! 20w5d here. I was in a wedding on Saturday and the way my bridesmaid dress was cut I couldn’t wear anything underneath besides nude underwear… by the end of the day I was really wishing I could lie down or get some support on that belly!
  • Mine feels heavy too. By the time I get home from work and cook dinner all I want to do is lay down and not move! 
  • Thoughts on bringing an older child to the anatomy scan? DS is dying to be involved in every possible way. He's 9 and my OB's office does allow for children to attend ultrasounds at long as there is a second adult present. DH will be there. Has anyone brought one of their older children along to see the ultrasound for their sibling-to-be? 

To add, baby has been healthy, growing, and genetic screening looked great so we're not too worried about complications. If we were, I wouldn't consider it. 
  • @ashnicell I think a 9 year old would do well. As long as the ultrasound tech is able to scan without distractions, I’m sure it would be fine. 
  • @ashnicell i think it’s would be great to bring your 9 year old! I was 5 when my mom was pregnant with my brother and I remember being allowed to go and listen to the heart beat at one of her appointments todays quality ultra sound would have been so cool 
  • Hello! Has anyone struggled with their baby's sex (either while knowing ir not knowing)? We chose not to find out but now decided to find out tomorrow at the anatomy scan, because I am so concerned about them being one rather than the other. Trying to process it all now rather than later!
  • Hello! Has anyone struggled with their baby's sex (either while knowing ir not knowing)? We chose not to find out but now decided to find out tomorrow at the anatomy scan, because I am so concerned about them being one rather than the other. Trying to process it all now rather than later!
    Gender disappointment is real and totally normal. In between my son and my daughter we lost a pregnancy which we found out was another boy. When I found out that we were having a girl I had a really hard time accepting it, kept having dreams she was really a boy, asked my husband after he cut the cord if he was REALLY sure she was a girl lol. But now I couldn't imagine it any other way.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • fantasyflytefantasyflyte member
    edited June 2022
    Slightly TMI question, but would UTI burning be in the urethra or on the vulva? I just had some burning on the skin of my vulva when the urine hit it, pretty far back near the perineum, but I've never had a UTI so I don't know if that's the kind of burning that comes with a UTI or if it's more likely a skin/yeast issue. I had an OB appointment this morning but there's no result in my portal yet from the urine sample and of course it's Friday night.

ETA I called the off-hours line and the on call dr reassured me that if it IS a UTI or yeast infection, the burning will continue/increase in the next day or two and I can come in for treatment, but in the meantime there's no danger to the baby and to just hydrate and keep an eye on it.

• Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your experience and it gives me hope. We did find out today and it was the opposite of what we expected/hoped. It is really surprising, I did not expect to have any preference at all. Pregnancy does strange things.
  • @fantasyflyte When I have had a UTI it has always been burning in my urethra, not at all on my vulva. When I had a yeast infection it was itching and burning all over my vulva, particularly inside of my vagina LOL. I know people have varying experiences, but to me that sounds more like a yeast infection. Good luck😅
  • @manta_ray yeah, I realized I had a minor itch or two earlier in the week and didn't think anything of it, so I messaged my doctor to ask if I should come in or just try a yeast infection topical because I'm now like 95% sure that's what it is.
  • @fantasyflyte I had a yeast infection a few weeks ago. It was so random and brought on by antibiotics. But my dr called out a cream to insert and it took care of it in two days. Worst itch EVER! 
  • Sounds more like yeast to me 
  • I am still nursing my son, he is 20 months, I am currently 18 weeks and will likely wean by 20 weeks. We felt it best to have it not be a normal daily thing for him Incase he is jealous of the baby. So we wanted to give about 4+/- months of nursing not being a thing. I would love to tandem nurse! It sounds so amazing but my little Kilion is a boob monster too and he already tells my husband not to touch me when he comes over to hug or kiss me so 🤣 I don't think he'd like the baby nursing if he still was. It is totally safe to continue nursing your little one unless your doctor tells you otherwise! I have loved every second of it, sad to see it come to an end with my first. They are such special moments and it's amazing what our milk does for them ❤️ 
  • I am I am 20 weeks today. I noticed today that there was a little discharge that was rented brownish. (Sorry if TMI) but before I scare myself with the internet just thought I would ask if anyone else has had this. It was very little. And I have an appointment with the dr on Thursday. 
  • @baby-h2022 They told me this was something that could happen with a SCH and that it was totally fine if it did (bright red bleeding would be an actual problem).  If you have an U/S I am sure they will be able to check. 
  • @baby-h2022 Just like @ponyoisfun said, this was exactly why I went to the doc and ended up getting diagnosed with a SCH. 
  • @manta_ray @ponyoisfun I was diagnosed with a SCH at 5 weeks and at 16 weeks they said it was gone. Do they come back? 
  • Has anyone else been having pretty bad knee/calf pain? I’m assuming it’s pregnancy related but don’t feel like I’ve gained so much weight to justify the pain.
  • Any moms out there who have used specific resources for sleep training, navigating baby behaviors, etc? I’ve been looking into Taking Cara Babies and Big Little Feelings a lot, but curious if there are any other gems out there that are a must to check out. 
  • Question for all you STM/TTM: How far in advance of the due date should I start looking for childcare? Not sure if it makes a difference, but I live in the Twin Cities area of MN. 
  • @little_umlaut start looking now. I am in Texas and most places already have a wait list for infants needing childcare in January/February 
  • Yes! My knee just totally flared up the other day and I wore a light brace around for two days. It calmed down but man! It’s never been that bad…even in my drinking-and-dancing-the-night-away days! My heel has also been really painful! Maybe it’s weird pregnancy stuff??? I’m kinda just hoping that. 
  • I know several people who swore by taking Cara babies, she didn’t work for me. I was not ok with having my first out of our bedroom as early as she wanted. So my advice is that, different things work for different people! And you may not know what that thing is until your baby is here! We ended up cosleeping and eventually bedsharing until about 18 months when we transitioned him into his own room and crib. You do you mama! I also liked @heysleepybaby, she’s the other end of the spectrum from Cara, different strokes for different folks! 
  • I take B6 half tablet in morning and half at night and the Unisom I just take at night but I ended up splitting that in half as well because they making me feel dizzy in the morning 
  • @knottie73e90061267d7dee I agree, it's best not to make plans on how you're going to parent until they're here lol. It's that "the person without a child knows exactly how to parent a child" thing. I was that mom that was going to get my son right into his crib, he was going to sleep really well, the whole thing. And then I actually got him home and he started being a little less sleepy as his jaundice eased off and HAHAHAHA. He refused to sleep on his own - period.
    It took me a while to get over it, but now I'm an advocate for safe bedsharing if that's what your baby needs. I mean we slept right beside our babies for literally hundreds of thousands of years, it's only been in the last two hundred or so that we've started putting them in separate sleeping spaces, and most of that was pushed on us by the Catholic church. It's going to be normal that a lot of babies are still having that instinctive feeling that sleeping by themselves is wrong.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I am going to plug the book Sweet Sleep by La Leche League.  Bedsharing sometimes happens whether it is the intention or not and I thought that that book really broke down risks and how to do it safely IF that is something that the family wants.  I am not endorsing it one way or the other, but I have met many parents who did not intend to, but wound up doing it. I think it is so important parents have the facts about safe sleep in any setting.  If anyone wants to ask any questions about how we did it I am happy to answer (basically, it is very hard to do safely, but we found it best for our babies).
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited July 2022
    I’m going to shamelessly plug the group on Facebook “Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence Based Support Group”. Plus their sister group “The Science Mind - Evidence Based Parenting” have both provided me with a wealth of knowledge and advice in my parenting journey. Their Feed With Love group is amazing, too. Having that support and information at our fingertips to keep our babies as safe as possible has been priceless to me. 
  • Is anyone experiencing cramping or random pains in the uterus area? I can’t tell if it’s round ligament or Braxton hicks. Usually goes away quickly when i change positions or sit down. Just always freaks me out a little! I’m 21 weeks today :)
  • @erey339 I've been having both. Round ligament is from the top of your pelvis and runs along kind of the top of your hips. Braxton hicks can be anywhere but are generally higher in the uterus and are more common in the heat, unfortunately, and especially if you're dehydrated and/or doing a lot of walking/lifting. They do go away usually by changing position and drinking water =)
    I was doing care work still when I was pregnant with my son so I had them a LOOOOOT at the end.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I have some light pink discharge when I wipe after peeing. I’m wondering if it’s from how hard the US Tech was shoving my belling around. I can feel baby girl still moving all around! No cramping or anything.

Trying to decide, should I call the midwife emergency pager or just wait and call their office first thing in the morning? We are an hour from the closest ER and I’m not one to be overly worried, meaning I won’t lose sleep over it...
  • @chuckle_sandwich I probably wouldn't worry too much and just call in the morning. Likely just some mild irritation.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • mnmomma3811mnmomma3811 member
    edited July 2022
    @little_umlaut I'm in the twin cities and have been looking already. Lots of unanswered voicemails so far. I though I have had a handful of providers tell me to call back this fall as they don't know that far ahead yet 🤷🏼‍♀️ can't say it's been a favorite experience this far 
  • @little_umlaut and @mnmomma3811 Help fellow Minnesotans! It honestly really depends on the school/daycare you’re looking at. For in home options, definitely sooner than later! For schools like Primrose or any smaller private/faith based ones, they often fill up quicker too. A lot of it is hard because of teacher:baby ratios and understaffing. Anywhere like Goddard, Gardner, New Horizon, (trying to think of others…) you should be able to call in the fall and be okay. They most likely wouldn’t start until January or February, right? Or are you looking for even sooner? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mflowers929 Gah! I forgot today is the 4th and my midwife office is closed. I still have a little very light pink when I wipe. I’m not sure if it warrants the emergency pager though...
  • @chuckle_sandwich are you having any cramping or pain? Is there any chance you could have placenta previa? It could be inflammation or irritation of the cervix from exams or sex, but if you are concerned it wouldn’t hurt to page her just for some advice even if just for reassurance. If it consistent maybe request an ultrasound to measure your cervix 
  • @Gingermom15 No pain or cramping. I just had my anatomy scan Friday and the results said negative for previa, also haven’t had any internal exams and haven’t had sex in like two weeks. My thought was maybe because the ultrasound tech was super rough with my belly and pushing really hard and shoving around trying to get baby to move. It actually was painful compared to when I had them with my other two kids.