November 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Question Thread

ponyoisfunponyoisfun member
edited March 2022 in November 2022 Moms
Have a question? Drop it here so we can try and answer it, or point you in the right direction!

(Try to place questions here rather than in "one off" threads - keeps the board looking cleaner.)

@BumpAdmin please pin this thread. 

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• Options
    ponyoisfunponyoisfun member
    edited March 2022
    Hi everyone out there!  Happy Saturday!

I will get this question thread started.  Any other's experiencing low blood pressure as a symptom? And if so what did anything help?
  • Options
    Is anyone still BFing another child right now?  I still am, but curious if others are/have continued to do so when pregnant in the past.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is anyone still BFing another child right now?  I still am, but curious if others are/have continued to do so when pregnant in the past.
    I'm still nursing my daughter. I've been trying to wean her back but she's a boob monster so it's not going well lol. I did nurse my son as well until I was 5-6 months pregnant with my daughter. I stopped because I was getting too sore to continue. I'm pretty sure the changes in my milk helped to wean him off.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    @mflowers929 I am also living with a boob monster!! We have started counting down in the evenings to shorten nursing sessions, but then he just asks again... I don't mind too much as within the last two months he started sleeping through the night without nursing.  I basically feel like a new woman after having slept 8 hours for a few nights in a row. 
  • Options
    sejicasejica member
    edited March 2022
    *lurking for now, hoping to get to join eventually
    Edited to add: no longer just lurking  :)

@ponyoisfun I nursed through pregnancies 2 and 3, and tandem nursed for 9+ months post partum. Some of the pregnancy nursing was definitely dry/comfort (theirs, not mine, obv) nursing, but I'm ultimately glad I did because I believe it helped my milk come in quicker, and was a nice pp bonding moment for the big sibling.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sejica. Thank you for sharing your experience.  it makes me feel more confident continuing to nurse. 
  • Options
    Can we talk sex in early pregnancy.... With my previous two pregnancies I was very fearful of hurting the baby or harming the pregnancy in some way that I think we had sex once the entire pregnancy. It created a lot of marital issues I really don't want to repeat again this time. BUT that same fear is back! I just feel like there's no way having a penis hitting up against the cervix, the door to the uterus, that it's not going to harm the pregnancy. Please someone tell I'm wrong and you do it like bunnies and are okay?! 
  • Options
    @jacquieb-2. Totally fine to do it!! I don't want to be TMI, but yes we did it all the time with both pregnancies. I would say the best thing I did was talk to my midwife about it and ask all of my questions.  It made me feel so much better. Every time I asked a question I would just say "I read somewhere that..."

Of course I am not a medical professional and there are real medical reasons not to, but that is very rare. It's kind of like exercise - almost always safe, but pay attention to your body. Also the first scan makes me feel better to make sure the placenta is attached in a safe place. 
  • Options
    Can we talk sex in early pregnancy.... With my previous two pregnancies I was very fearful of hurting the baby or harming the pregnancy in some way that I think we had sex once the entire pregnancy. It created a lot of marital issues I really don't want to repeat again this time. BUT that same fear is back! I just feel like there's no way having a penis hitting up against the cervix, the door to the uterus, that it's not going to harm the pregnancy. Please someone tell I'm wrong and you do it like bunnies and are okay?! 
    Unless it is medically indicated for you not to, then it’s ok! If you are having anxiety about this definitely speak to your provider. Maybe talk to a counselor with your partner to work through your anxiety. But remember you are under no obligation to share your body with anyone, even your spouse, you shouldn’t be pressured. (Not implying that he is pressuring you just putting that out there!)
  • Options
    Hi all! So this is my first pregnancy. I have a retroverted uterus and wondering if anyone else does and if that changes anything? I don’t meet a doctor until 10 weeks along
  • Options
    @ali527501 I have one. I didn’t have any issues with my first two pregnancies. The only thing was I didn’t get the greatest ultrasound pics with my second because of that and scar tissue from my first c-section. But no medical issues at all from it. 
  • Options
    Hello! I’m curious if anyone is or has experience with taking antidepressants for anxiety while pregnant?
  • Options

Hello, I have some concerns about my HCG rise and wondering if any of you have experienced a similar situation and what your outcome was. 

My HCG was previously rising at an appropriate rate ....

(10DPO=40, 12DPO=141, 14DPO=416, 17DPO=1797)

However, I got an additional HCG drawn on 25DPO and it had onyl increased to 5925 (111 hours doubling time, ~34% 2 day increase). I had an early US at 5W5D and saw gestational sac, yolk sac and possibly a start of the fetal pole. My doctor didn’t seem concerned and I have no signs of a MC, but can’t help to focus on the slowed down doubling time. Has anyone experienced this? Does it seem normal? 

• Options
    I have had sex literally everyday since I found out I was pregnant. Sometimes twice a day. And everything is still good! I would talk to your doctor so they can provide their professional opinion and ease your anxieties, but everything I’ve read and conversations with friends, family, and doctors have told me that it’s perfectly safe.
  • Options
    Disclaimer: I am not a Dr. This is in no way medical advice.
    Quick Google search lead me to this article: https://www.verywellfamily.com/when-do-hcg-levels-stop-doubling-every-two-days-2371281 relevant passages quoted:  "As your pregnancy progresses and your hCG level passes approximately 1,200 mIU/ml, it tends to take longer to double. By week six or seven, for example—about halfway through your first trimester—it may take about 3.5 days." "After your hCG level passes 6,000 mIU/ml, it may take more than 4 days to double."
    My takeaway there is that as hcg increases past a certain threshold (1200, 6000) it's expected to slow.
    Also, I think you've extrapolated data that's not there, for instance I don't see any numbers between 17dpo and 25dpo. But, even extrapolating, should give you nearly 8 days to double 2x, which lines up pretty closely with your actual data.
    If your Dr isn't concerned and the other metrics look good, I'd take comfort in that, or any other mantra that helps, like "I'm pregnant today, so I'm going to enjoy today." Try not to focus on worry on things that are not in your control - just good advice for life, not specifically just for this instance.
  • Options
    Hello! This is my first pregnancy and I'm 5w4d along. I just had some light bleeding with pink discharge and was concerned. I've had a little bit of bleeding after sex before, but this doesn't seem to have a cause that I know of. Just wondering if anyone else has this too or if it's something to be concerned about. My first appointment still is three weeks away 
  • Options
    Hello! This is my first pregnancy and I'm 5w4d along. I just had some light bleeding with pink discharge and was concerned. I've had a little bit of bleeding after sex before, but this doesn't seem to have a cause that I know of. Just wondering if anyone else has this too or if it's something to be concerned about. My first appointment still is three weeks away 
    Obviously, not a doctor--if you are very concerned or feel cramping, definitely call your doctor. However, I had bleeding (primarily in the form of pinkish/brownish discharge) for the first 15 weeks of my first pregnancy. It is apparently common in up to 15% of pregnancies. 
  • Options
    lqbtqmommylqbtqmommy member
    edited March 2022
    In reply to the question of HCG doubling...

It's a math intensive problem with the 111 hours between your last two measurements. Your numbers seem to be within the range expected for HCG though. Your doubling time is supposed to slow down as the HGC gets higher. If your docs aren't concerned but you have worry, you should message them about your specific concerns and see if there's something with the math or the situation that's not being taken into account. I wish you the best!
  • Options
    Hi ladies, this is in no way medical advice but I’m glad we’re having the discussion since it’s a topic that has crossed our minds once or twice ‘is it safe for baby’. I found this article and thought I would share because the more you know, the better you are to make an informed decision. 

• Options
    Obviously, not a doctor--if you are very concerned or feel cramping, definitely call your doctor. However, I had bleeding (primarily in the form of pinkish/brownish discharge) for the first 15 weeks of my first pregnancy. It is apparently common in up to 15% of pregnancies. 
    Thank you! I ended up calling because I was worried and they had me come in for an ultrasound. They said everything looked great and just like it should for 5 weeks so that was a relief. Only $300 for some peace of mind 😂
  • Options
    Thank you! I ended up calling because I was worried and they had me come in for an ultrasound. They said everything looked great and just like it should for 5 weeks so that was a relief. Only $300 for some peace of mind 😂
    Honestly, $300 well spent then!! 
  • Options
    @hollyelizabeth1198 I am still taking pregnancy tests...and if I could somehow get a scan earlier I would.  So I completely understand paying for one for peace of mind. 
  • Options
    Oh thanks for chiming in @chelsea5787
    im hoping it doesn’t change much to have a retro vetted uterus!
  • Options
    FTM and wondering if anyone has experienced the same…

I have inverted nipples, and I am really hopeful for being able to breastfeed. Anyone had luck? Done anything that works?

I’ve used these little plastic pieces that pull them out slightly, and those have helped some but I’m not sure if it’s enough. Obviously I’ll ask my doctor too when I go, but thought I’d check here to see what experiences you all had!
  • Options
    juliam7891juliam7891 member
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    Just called to schedule my first prenatal appointment and the person on the phone said there will not be an ultrasound at my 8 week appointment even though when I met with my doctor for a preconception appointment she said she would do an ultrasound at the 8 week appointment. Just wondering if there actually will be an ultrasound? Because if there is then I want my husband to be there. I’m going to call back this week but thought I’d also ask here.
  • Options
    @knottiec5ad81417eced7d4 unfortunately you'll really just have to ask again as every place does things differently. I know here where I live a lot of moms are surprised because if you have a healthy pregnancy the only ultrasound they do is at 20 weeks.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    @knottiec5ad81417eced7d4 I definitely felt incredibly let down in my first pregnancy that I only had two ultrasounds, one between 8-12 weeks and one at 20 weeks. Some only do the 20 week though. When you call again if you talk to a nurse or scheduler, just say your doctor said she wanted you to get an ultrasound at the 8 week. Or if you can send a message to your provider, remind her that she said that and ask if it will be scheduled at the clinic or not/if it should be scheduled simultaneously with your dr appt, etc. or some other question to deflect from it being optional
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    michellelynn6michellelynn6 member
    edited March 2022
    Just called to schedule my first prenatal appointment and the person on the phone said there will not be an ultrasound at my 8 week appointment even though when I met with my doctor for a preconception appointment she said she would do an ultrasound at the 8 week appointment. Just wondering if there actually will be an ultrasound? Because if there is then I want my husband to be there. I’m going to call back this week but thought I’d also ask here.
    I would call and get clarification. For my first pregnancy, my first ultrasound was a transvaginal ultrasound done in the room by my doctor, so it didn't have to be scheduled separately with a technician--I don't remember being told I would have an ultrasound at that appointment. 

This time around, my doctor is no longer during the in-room transvaginal ultrasounds, so they scheduled my ultrasound separately with a technician for dating. I think it just depends on what your specific office is doing as far as procedure. 
  • Options
    FTM and wondering if anyone has experienced the same…

I have inverted nipples, and I am really hopeful for being able to breastfeed. Anyone had luck? Done anything that works?

I’ve used these little plastic pieces that pull them out slightly, and those have helped some but I’m not sure if it’s enough. Obviously I’ll ask my doctor too when I go, but thought I’d check here to see what experiences you all had!
    I had flat/semi-inverted nipples with my first. Pumping and her nursing fixed it pretty quick. Nipple shield can help make sure they're using the right mouth muscles and latching correctly, though they didn't work out for us. Good for you for thinking about this early, unfortunately not much you can do before November.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I’m 6w4d so far and no issues till yesterday. This is probably TMI but yesterday my husband and I had non penetrative fun times and afterwards I was spotting red for a few hours then brown. Nothing this am. No pain, no reduction in symptoms. I was reading this can be normal. Has anyone experienced this?
  • Options
    @kitandtommy TL;DR yes, it's common.
    @michellelynn6 answered @hollyelizabeth1198 above about a similar question, and I also had spotting red-pink-brown last (3rd) pregnancy pretty much anytime I irritated my cervix or produced arousal fluid (including this one time I got wobbly on a high ladder, lol).
    I'm not a Dr, this is not medical advice, but as long as there's no intense cramping, or fever, or a LOT or blood, it's normal and nothing to be concerned about. However, if you are worried at all, call your Dr/midwife/np.
  • Options
    @mariposa1116 I pulled your coffee question over here to try and answer instead of responding in the introductions thread:
    "I also feel kind of overwhelmed by all the sudden “do’s” and “don’ts”. Like for example - coffee! What is actually a coffee drink that’s less than 200 mg of caffeine?!"
    TL;DR 1 12oz cup of hot brewed coffee ~200mg caffeine

I love this question, and it's no wonder this is such a conundrum. The amount of caffeine in a beverage is variable, the effect of caffeine on an individual is variable, the impact of caffeine over pregnancy is variable.

1: caffeine content of a beverage varies depending on plant content, roast level, and brewing method. Blonde/light roast has more caffeine than dark roast. Cold brew/steeped coffee has more or less caffeine depending on how much water AND the pH of the water. Nitro cold brew coffee can hit the blood stream faster than regular brew methods. I could go on literally forever, but prima coffee equipment has a great q&a/blog/vlog if you ever want to go deep into coffee geekery.
    1.a: or stick to beverages with listed/googleable caffeine content like soda, or bottled coffee, or powdered coffee packets.

2: higher BMI correlates with higher caffeine tolerance, but the research is unclear as to which is cause and which is effect in that relationship. Your previous caffeine intake level and tolerance will be a stronger predictor for your caffeine intake during pregnancy than any absolute value on a chart. If possible, start cutting your caffeine back slowly as soon as possible, while still allowing you to function in your daily life. A weekend/day off cold turkey could also help reset your tolerance low enough for a single 8-12 oz cup to give the same boost. Other tricks for cutting caffeine intake can include pouring 8oz coffee and adding 2oz hot water, switching to half decaf half regular, ditching the straw for iced coffee.

3: caffeine intake has been debated as to its impact on early pregnancy implantation and miscarriage rates. I won't link here, but the research is not definitive as to what level of caffeine begins to show negative outcomes. There are also some birth defects (eg; esophageal atresia) that have been tentatively linked to higher caffeine consumption, but it is difficult to control for all factors/variables. In the third trimester, the changing mother's metabolism impacts fetal absorbtion rates. Since everyones metabolism is unique, the best advice there is to further reduce caffeine intake if possible in the third trimester.

As for me, I barely tolerate caffeine anyway, and less so during pregnancy, so it's easy enough for me to cut back. Caffeine under 200mg has been shown to be safe, so enjoy your 12oz cup of coffee, or 20oz cup of iced coffee, or 4 12oz cans of soda, or 4 bai bottles.
  • Options
    @sejica good answer! I usually have 3 cups a day to function 🥴 so trying to cut it back to no more than 2, less if I can lol
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    Hi all!!! First time pregnant, 6 weeks and 3 days today 🥰 had my first scan today and everything is looking good. I have been noticing some heart palpitations over the last few days - not all the time but some fluttering throughout the day. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    @knottie069c592850487f42 Yes - all of my pregnancies.  It is normalish, but definitely make sure your midwife knows and that you pay attention to it. 
  • Options
    Does anyone have a big-ish age gap between kids? My first two were 2 years apart and that was for the birds. When this one comes my son will be 7 a couple weeks after they’re born and my daughter will be almost 5. Did you find it easier/harder with the age gap? Anything you wish you would have known?
  • Options
    Hi all! I’m 6 weeks 6 days and just had my first ultrasound today. There was no fetal heartbeat (and I measured at 6 weeks, 4 days. Went back to my app and noticed I probably ovulated CD 16 so that tracks)

Anyone not have a fetal heart beat at 6 weeks then had one later? We are going back next Thursday. I’m nervous!
  • Options
    No advice but my son will be 8 when this one comes along and I’ve thought the same!!