September 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Queston Thread!

Re: The Great Big Queston Thread!

• Options
    What does BH pain feel like vs round ligament pain?
  • Options
    @pangolindrome I will say I can understand mine more than other toddlers, sometimes I have to translate for my husband even. I'm pretty good at understanding most toddlers though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bigworldlittleg I wouldn’t really consider Braxton hicks painful, they’re more just uncomfortable. You just suddenly feel your uterine muscles contract all of once so it’s a very tight feeling that lasts briefly and then subsides. That’s why they also call them practice contractions. I’d say round ligament pain is more sharp and jabby and feels painful though also brief. 
  • Options
    wisehwiseh member
    @JRae2015 I've been getting them regularly too and they last for minutes at a time. My whole stomach goes rock hard and it's so uncomfortable. I first started feeling them around 16 weeks. 

@pangolindrome definitely understand your own because you hear them regularly & have learned to communicate with not just words. That being said, sometimes I just say to my daughter "I just don't understand you, sorry" or just go "ohh yeah that's cool" because I actually have no idea what she's saying 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    wisehwiseh member
    Also @JRae2015 when I felt them like that I googled and apparently they happen right from the start but you only start to feel/notice them around 16 weeks. Interesting!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I’m 17 weeks and Google agreed with you all that they start “in the second trimester”. I must’ve been dehydrated today because after I read a few replies I chugged a water bottle with a Nuun tab for electrolytes and they disappeared for the rest of the afternoon. 

For whoever asked what they feel like - I distinctly remember getting them during my first pregnancy but not realizing what they were - I thought it was baby rolling around near the front of my uterus making it hard. It feels like what other people described … tightening of the uterus /low stomach area but all in the front (for anyone who has had back labor to compare it to). Where your uterus is becomes firm to the touch as well. I wonder if they become more frequent with subsequent pregnancies. I’ll have to ask at my appt. 
  • Options
    @pangolindrome sign language helps a lot and is highly beneficial for kids learning two languages simultaneously to connect the languages. I got a book with simple baby signs. But otherwise you just know what they want often. My daughter makes this inhale/snort sound when she's trying to tell me something. If she has her bottle in one hand and she's pointing at the kitchen, it's safe to assume she wants a refill. I was also imressed when we figured out that she smacks her lips when she wants her paci. I mean, that's pretty genius. I don't think I would have thought of something like that.they find ways to communicate and get their point across.
  • Options
    @babywiik Yes! We only speak one language in our home, but baby sign language was amazing for us. She picked up several words pretty quickly, and it clearly improved her mood when she could get her point across. There was even a Daniel Tiger blurb she saw a couple times that had him interacting with his baby sister, who was asking for "more" singing. My daughter caught on to that and taught herself the word and I was so impressed! These little beings are incredible.

Even though she's 2.5 and has a lot of words now sometimes she'll still sign a word ("thank you" is a big one still). It's really cool!
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Are there any STM+ out there with large and frequntly barking dogs (say, a 50 pound hound mix who is just SOO loud) who can comment on if their baby slept through the loud barking or if they got woken up by it a lot? We've tried many types of bark collars, training, containing in other rooms, many many crates, and these just aren't an option for our wonderful yet difficult doggo. Do noise machines for the baby help? Do they get used to it in the womb? Is it better to frantically run after your barking dog to get him to be quiet or just let it go? 
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030 Just let it go. Your kiddo will get used to his or her own environment. A sound machine can absolutely help, but barking is okay too. Is your dog possibly not exercised or stimulated enough? Sometimes that can be the cause of excessive barking. A good vet can also help you see if there is something underlying that may not be obvious. 
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030
    Not a "large" dog, but our Arthur is 20ish pounds and he barked consistently. He would sit by the front door and watch out the window and bark at everything that walked, biked, flew or drove by. Which was often because we lived in a VERY active/busy neighborhood. We had a sound machine for my son, but I really think he was used to the noises of our home. The only time I would notice him get startled is if we were in the living room and he was napping or fell asleep in my arms. It really just was the startle reflex and he slept through it most of the time. He was a terrible sleeper at night (reverse cycle nursing) but a great napper during the day. We've since moved to a quieter neighborhood out of town and Arthur only barks when the doorbell rings for deliveries or at the squirrels attacking the birdfeeders if he's watching out the back patio. I think I'll be putting up a sign for deliveries to not ring the doorbell when baby arrives. 
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030 We no longer have our pup but he was pretty noisy when our first was a newborn. Baby didn’t seem bothered which we were worried about but we were on the team of baby will get used to it anyway. Now this child can sleep through just about anything 😂
  • Options
    @pangolindrome I understood our first just fine. I think it's "your own kid" thing. I struggle to understand others'.
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030 echoing the others that baby will get used to noises in their environment. I purposely ran the vacuum and was noisy doing dishes so my daughter didn't become reliant on me being quiet at nap time. I use a fan so I got one for her room when she moved out of ours. Her nap is taken outside in her stroller. The cars, birds and neighbor dogs don't seem to bother her.
  • Options
    @dsmith211 @mnmomma84 @babywiik @trapperkeeper87 thanks for the help guys! It's really reassuring to know that babies can get past the noise.

@trapperkeeper87 No, poor doggo doesn't get much excercise for the same reason he barks at the window all the time. He sort of turns into a psychopath at bikes, motorcycles, jeeps and golf carts. He was just as bad when he had a huge yard. We think something happened before we rescued him. He's 11 now and no amount of desensitization has ever worked on him. At this point it'll be much easier to approach it from the baby side. Unless anyone is friends with Cesar Millan? 😄 
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030 a little late to the barking dog party but my 2 girls (one is a lab, one is a Heinz 57) are 80 and 75lbs and they bark LOUD. Never woke up my kid. Also discovered how incredibly lazy they are when I was on maternity leave 🤣 I loved their company. 
  • Options
    @omgbabynames3030 - talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications if you haven't tried them! It sounds like your dog has some barrier frustration- he can't get to what he wants so he sort of acts out. Anti-anxiety meds can definitely help, but of course aren't going to be a cure. May help some, so worth having that conversation!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Anyone else feel like their belly has officially popped? I feel like mine doubled in size this week compared to a couple weeks ago. I’m 19w3d. 😳
    -ExcitedlyExpecting 
  • Options
    @excitedlyexpecting Yes! I feel and look huge all of a sudden. I'm 19 weeks today.
  • Options
    Lol I've looked huge since like 8 weeks, so now I'm just more huge 
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @excitedlyexpecting I’m the complete opposite, almost 18 weeks and not even a hint of a bump 
  • Options
    Mine popped around 15ish weeks but barely- I think I was probably the only one who could notice. Now I'm almost 17 (tomorrow) and it's definitely not anything I can suck in anymore! My guess is at this point if people see me in public they probably play the "bump vs too many tacos" guessing game 😂
  • Options
    @excitedlyexpecting With my first pregnancy, I didn’t really show until around 19 weeks. This time around - with two babies incubating - I popped at 12 weeks and at my 21-week appointment I measured 30cm.
  • Options
    @csardaszz 30cm already???!?😶 I'm glad there's two in there and your not just having a ginormous baby😅
  • Options
    I'm at the, she looks pregnant but maybe she's just overweight stage, so no one wants to ask. Lol. Most people at work don't know and maybe wonder if I sat too much during the lock down. 
  • Options
    I'm already at "waddling," so most people assume lol.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @rebornlotus I was just on my babymoon and always wore a hat that said “baby on the way!” by the pool so that no one would think it was just someone who fell out of bikini bod shape 😂
  • Options
    @excitedlyexpecting Same. This is baby #2 for me and I have like a 2” separation between my abs so I feel like I popped really early!! 
  • Options
    @babywiik Omg one ginormous baby would break me in half! 🙈
  • Options
    I've definitely popped as well, and given the pain in my pelvis already, I have a slight waddle. I just want to get a little further along and have a firmer bump to decrease the silent questions people have. I also know the bump is only about 1/2 the final size, which is always a daunting thought.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    Opinions on cord blood registry? Pros? Cons (I’m assuming just cost basically)? I feel like this is advertised but I don’t have a lot of data. 
  • Options
    Opinion: Not worth it.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    wisehwiseh member
    @omgbabynames3030 I know it's a few days since you asked but I also echo that your babe will get used to noises. We were never quiet with our DD, frequently took her out & she literally slept anywhere, including an extremely rowdy pub when she was about 3 months old. 

@excitedlyexpecting yes I feel like in the last week I have doubled in size! I am obese so already had a tummy, but it is definitely firm now & I can't suck it in at all. Still not round and I don't think it ever will be, so people will always play the "is she pregnant or just too many tacos" guessing game with me 🤣

Regarding the cord blood harvesting, it depends on the kind of birth you want and the cord registry you use. If you want extended cord clamping then you can't harvest the blood as this needs to be done as soon as baby is breathing. If something happens during the birth then you are not always guaranteed to collect enough or sometimes any at all. You also need to do your research on the registry you use because some have extremely strict requirements you need to meet to have the blood released to you. Typically you're also signing up for them to take a portion of it for medical research. 
  • Options
    So I woke up with intense pain "through" my right hip. I have an ovarian cyst, I think it popped. This f in hurts! Thankfully I already have a Dr appt today...
  • Options
    @excitedlyexpecting With my daughter, we opted against cord blood registry because we delayed clamping. However, my doctor was supportive of attempting to collect for donation if enough remained after clamping (not common, and we didn't end up having enough). Ultimately, what @wiseh said is all great advice. If you know you have a high likelihood of some kind of disease in the family that may benefit you to use a registry, I was advised that it makes sense in that situation, and to possibly not delay clamping at all.

I would talk to your doctor and see what the pros and cons are for your situation; don't blindly trust the registry sites to inform you with this kind of decision.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    Regarding bump popping.... Friday one of the 2 year olds at my daughter's daycare came up to me and pointed at my belly and said "what's that?" I guess that means it's very noticeable.

Also I saw my family for the first time in about a month and the first thing my mom says when I walk in was "wow you're huge already!" thanks mom, I like to know I'm fat. 

I have days when I'm yeah I look pregnant. And other days where I'm like ugh this doesn't look pregnant just fat. My husband says I've popped because I no longer feel the need to "suck it in" 
  • Options
    I think I felt something yesterday morning. FTM, 16w6d, anterior placenta.
    It wasn’t anything so distinctive as movement/flutters or such, but it was more like a general awareness on my uterus, I guess? 

Kinda like this:
    uterus
    vs
    [uterus]

Does that make sense to anyone? 
    I know that my anterior placenta means it can take a long time to feel anything. It definitely didn’t feel like gas or bowels in general, I’m really in tune with those sensations due to some past/intermittent health issues.
  • Options
    Just an FYI, for those in the US. The target car seat trade in is happening starting today. We got 2 free car seats to trade in on Facebook. In return you get a 20% coupon (can be used twice) for a big ticket baby item - car seat, stroller, etc. Plus a lot of those items are on sale already for their baby savings event. So, good way to stack coupons. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath the comments are killing me too! It amazes me what people will say. My fiancés aunt came to visit and literally said “wow what a potbelly you have now and you’ve gained weight in your face!” Like this was all a good thing. 

I was beyond annoyed. I almost replied with “Well I’m pregnant so at least I have an excuse for my belly, what’s your excuse?” I’m a feisty Italian at the end of the day so if people want to know what I really think I’d be happy to share my thoughts, especially if they feel the need to so freely share theirs 😂 For the sake of not being an asshole and making the rest of the visit awkward, I held my tongue though.