May 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• Options
    @sph97 we did a delayed schedule with all 3 of mine. We tend to only do a max of 1 shot per visit (although there are some oral vaccines early on that I would give with a shot). We found we had much fewer reactions once we switched to the delayed schedule. I’d also look into which vax’s you want to do when, as some are significantly more potent than others.
  • Options
    @skc040512 I need to review what vaccines baby will have to have to start daycare, because he cannot go until he's met their vaccine requirements and my husband and I both work so that's the only stipulation that is concerning me; hence why I am aiming for no more than 3 at a time because I'm afraid 8 weeks isn't long enough for 1-2 per visit!
    Did you follow an outline delayed schedule or discuss with your pedi to create your own?
    My SIL switched to delayed after her first had a bad reaction to her first round of shots so I have seen first hand what a difference it makes! I'm glad to see other mommas on here that are open to it, I have gotten some crazy comments/looks when I mention it  :#
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sph97 my best friend is married to a doctor who spent his first 2 years of residency thinking he was going into immunology before switching to cardio thoracic surgery lol. They helped me put together a plan and helped me decide which ones to skip in the instances where I just fully opted out
  • Options
    @sph97 definitely consider daycare requirements for vaccination. DD only had hep B or whatever they give at birth when she started daycare at 6 months. We had to provide medical justification from her doctor why she was delayed, and provide a very specific schedule of when she would be receiving certain vaccines (I think it was by her age, not necessarily appointment date). Anyway, it was all for medical reasons out of our control, so it was more of an annoying paperwork exercise and lots of back and forth because we didn't know our daycare wanted the schedule at first. 

she had a super aggressive catch-up schedule, so the opposite of what you're trying to achieve 😂 the only vax she didn't get was rotavirus, because by the time she was caught up with her previous vaxes, she was too old to get it. 
  • Options
    @pajamstagrams I've talked with them briefly about it, and I know he has to have X requirements to start, then I'm open to schedule at my own pace as long as he's vaccinated to state requirements before he can start k-4 (they have a k-4 next door that he will transition into when he "ages out" of the daycare). So, hopefully (fingers crossed) it will actually be a smooth process! I just wanted to see if anyone had a preferred schedule they went by :)
  • Options
    @sph97 that's good you already know their reqs! I always like to remind people of that because it was a big shock to me that we had to do all this paperwork, and then the nurse would email us asking when her next vax was scheduled/shot records because per the schedule we provided she was due lol. 

Can't help ya on the schedule though🙃🤣 
  • Options
    @sph97 are you familiar with the recommended vaccine schedule? The only injected vaccination they routinely give before 8 weeks is Hep B, so depending on which ones your daycare requires before starting, I’m not certain how you’re going to work that out. 
  • Options
    @happynapper
    To the standard schedule, by 8 weeks they want you to have 2 doses of the Hep B + 1st doses of RV, DTaP, HiB, PCV13, IPV, and flu but we will opt out of flu. I don't have to have *all* recommended vaccines for daycare at 8 weeks, I want to say I know for sure he will have to have Hep B (at least 1 dose), RV, and DTaP. 
    Plus depending when I go into labor, he may be more around ~10 weeks before he starts daycare!
  • Options
    sph97 said:
    @happynapper
    To the standard schedule, by 8 weeks they want you to have 2 doses of the Hep B + 1st doses of RV, DTaP, HiB, PCV13, IPV, and flu but we will opt out of flu. I don't have to have *all* recommended vaccines for daycare at 8 weeks, I want to say I know for sure he will have to have Hep B (at least 1 dose), RV, and DTaP. 
    Plus depending when I go into labor, he may be more around ~10 weeks before he starts daycare!
    Flu is not until 6 months of age, as well as only during flu season. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    edited February 2022
    @happynapper that was just the recommended schedule I was given! I thinks it’s actually like CDC’s recommended guidelines? I know the clinic associated with my OB follows it and doesn’t like to accept delayed scheduling, but I’m going to a different pediatrician. We’re opting out of flu anyways, we don’t ever get it ourselves. 

Edit- I double checked myself and you are right, flu is 6m! 
  • Options
    @sph97 and the others you listed *start* at 8 weeks, not *by* 8 weeks. Hep B is the only one that could technically be completed *by* 8 weeks as it is recommended at birth and then again at either 1 or 2 months. 
    I realize I’m not going to change your mind but I also hope you thoroughly understand the recommended schedule before your alter it based on a family member’s reaction that may or may not pertain to your actual child’s health. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    edited February 2022
    @happynapper yes ma’am, but they are recommended to have at/by 8w (because some are also open to be administered at 6w). The purpose is so they can 2nd doses by 4m third doses by 6m, and a few require fourth doses by 1y-15m as well. It just makes me uncomfortable to know how many are recommended at *once.* 

I understand this is a very touchy subject, and I understand maybe I shouldn’t have brought it to a public forum. Not meaning to cause any discomfort/controversy. I just wanted to see *if and *how STM+ may have approached this. :)
  • Options
    @sph97 we did delayed with both mine. I need to go back and look at their records and probably just kinda follow whatever we did back then (which I know was like no more than 2 at a time EVER.) If you have a pedi that supports it, they can probably help you map it out! 💜

• Options
    @MrsLaLaBug thank you! I think I’m gonna make an appointment maybe to meet the pedi soon so I have a better idea of what to do for me, since it seems unique to everyone’s own experience! 
  • Options
    @sph97 I would def agree that you should ask your pediatrician what they recommend in those cases. I did not do a delayed schedule, and aside from the ones at birth, they didn't give any until 2 months (and that's when the schedule started). That seems pretty typical at least for all the moms I am friends with. Just sharing my experience! 
  • Options
    We didn’t vaccinate my daughter. I had the same thoughts as you though in the beginning and decided ok I’ll give myself 12 months and make a decision. I never was against vaccines, I just couldn’t understand why it made me so incredibly uneasy.. now I know why of course…but I researched like crazy, read well respected medical journals, analyzed statistics, Read countless books and at the end decided there was absolutely no way I could comfortably consent to any of it because of the lack of liability among other things.. 🤷‍♀️ She’s incredibly healthy and brilliant. I bought the vaccine friendly plan by Dr Paul Thomas though initially and if you do delayed I’d suggest following that guideline!!! ☺️
  • Options
    I really appreciate the section on vaccination in Cribsheet by Emily Oster. I didn't do any delays with my first and we'll follow the recommended schedule with this babe (2mo, 6mo, 1yr, 18mo). I was really surprised when I called at 2yrs and they were like "oh you're good til kindergarten now", lol.
  • Options
    It’s ok that you disagree. 🌷 Yes I without question feel that my choice not to vaccinate her has been beneficial both physically and mentally. For specific reasons too, one being that she is homozygous 1298C MTHFR which means that she has limited detoxification among other susceptibilities. I’ve also had vaccine reactions in the past that were very scary, and without any liability from the government for injury and death that didn’t sit right with ME.☺️ I did not make this choice lightly trust me, I’m also not “ anti”
    Vaccine either, but I’m glad I made it.

Its always going to be a controversial topic, this is just what worked for our family. Simply that’s it. The book by Paul Thomas is very good, as he is a paediatrician, and if i where to do a delayed schedule I would use this book! It’s very normal to be apprehensive in regards to medications and vaccines, so getting all
    the information from all angles is important in making an educated choice. It’s not a choice everyone should make and everyone should speak to
    Their doctor and make sure they are very educated on what informed consent entails. ☺️🌼
  • Options
    happynapperhappynapper member
    edited February 2022
    @jinnyr You’re more interested in the government being held liable for adverse reactions than preventing disease (in your child and anyone she may spread it to)? 

ETA: it’s a rhetorical question because it’s abundantly clear from your responses, I don’t need to engage any further. 
  • Options
    @happynapper better to have sick and dying children than "vaccine injured" children and no one to sue amirite
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Options
    Definitely not interested in debate at all, just what worked for us! ☺️ I’m used to the controversy, it doesn’t bother me. There so many parents out there that have the same concerns and clearly from the thread, more and more are starting to look in to delayed schedules because they feel more comfortable. Glad you did what made you comfortable!🌟
  • Options
    Question about braxton hicks... has anyone experienced them feeling localized to one area?  Or are they like an overall cramp feeling?  I keep getting what feels like a cramp or tightening in one spot and I'm not sure if it's braxton hicks or something else.   

I never went into labor with DD and never noticed braxton hicks in my first pregnancy, so I'm not sure what to expect even though I've been through this before!. 
  • Options
    @tango_612 I’ve had BH be localized as well as full-abdominal tightening. The best identifier though is to hydrate and relax with your feet up (lay on your side if they’re particularly intense) and they should dissipate. They also won’t be regular (ie labor contractions will come every X minutes, but BH timing will vary from one to the next). Taking a warm bath or using a heating pad on your back can also calm them down
  • Options
    @tango_612 I tend to get a tightening feeling that may or may not be BH in a very particular spot. I think that's where his head is, so maybe he's stretching or something. The rest of my uterus isn't tight during that time. 

In any case, never hurts to bring it up to your doctor. I've been *that* person calling about BH (my UTI aggravated them and was causing cramping) because I never experienced them much with DD, and now I'm like wtf?? 🙈  I'll say in general, I pretty much only get BH in a certain position...sitting down comfortably with my feet up on the couch reading/watching TV.  Beyond annoying that my most comfy and relaxing position is so fraught with BH, but maybe that's just the only time I notice them because they're so incredibly mild.
  • Options
    @tango_612 I notice mine more at the bottom of my belly/abdomen and it’s usually after I’ve gotten sick or if baby boy is sitting real low sometimes I’ll get a sudden tightness but it goes away shortly! I usually stand up and walk around, idk I feel like it helps since it’s sometimes it’s so low it almost hurts to keep sitting. Occasionally it’ll be across my belly, but mine are typically lower! 
  • Options
    I’ve noticed all my BH occur when I’m not hydrated enough or after a very active day when i finally am able to relax. 

Usually sitting down and drinking g plenty of water eases them.
  • Options
    Does BH feel like period cramps? I've been getting those types of cramps the past two days and they go away quickly and they aren't super painful. They could also be due to stomach issues but figured who better to ask than this group! 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi mine don't. I barely feel them at all, but it's just a tightening sensation. My belly gets hard for like 15 seconds tops. I had more period like cramps with my UTI though. You can always call your doctor though!
  • Options
    @karisahamdi mine don’t either. I actually love the sensation. Mine are definitely more tightening - like giving my baby a hug - than any cramping. 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi The first time I felt BH, it felt like baby was curling up into a super tight little ball in my stomach. Now I just recognize it as tightening that goes away within 30 seconds. Not painful in my experience. 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi to echo what others are saying, mine don’t have any element of pain. More just a tightening/ uncomfortable feeling. If you’re having stomach issues it could be gas that just won’t come oit. 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi I usually see period cramp feeling as a way to describe real contractions. My BH are pretty uncomfortable and strong but not painful. 
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Options
    @karisahamdi what you’re describing sounds more like mild contractions, not BH. I had a bunch with DS, and they can be perfectly normal, especially as you get farther into the 3rd tri. I would definitely still bring it up with your OB in case they want to check you out, but assuming they’re infrequent, not getting more intense or closer together, it’s probably just your uterus getting ready.
  • Options
    @annashaf lol what? You like BH? 😂 God they give me so much anxiety because I barely had them the first time 🙈 

@karisahamdi another thing i forgot to mention...you don't have to poop, do you? Could it be poop cramps, or gas like @b_1029 mentioned? Still, best to call your doc if you're concerned. 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi ill echo as well that my BH feel like a tightening that last 15-45 seconds. I only notice them because my stomach gets hard. No pain associated at all…maybe only my posture is uncomfortable during the tightening. 

I did have pain when i had a uTI. 
  • Options
    @karisahamdi I will say that I’ve been feeling a bit crampy too in my low back and pelvis. But not like discernible cramps. All that to say, I do think it can be normal as long as the contractions aren’t getting stronger, longer, closer together.