May 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• Definitely isn’t necessary if it’s not something you’re into or have any cause for concern. It was recommended to us with our first because she was gaining slowly and had a little lingering jaundice. With our second, I really only used it short term to time feedings when I was ready to start a schedule and to remember which boob I ended with last time, to know to start there next time.
  • I think I used babyconnect with DD because my mom and husband could get on there and see/update. It was especially helpful when L was 4 months old and got sick and we had to give her a bunch of medications. You log the latest dosage and time and it eliminates the back and forth between caregivers. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I remember tracking the ounces i added to the freezer because i had a goal i wanted to get to by week 12. It was literally a pice of paper taped that i kept doing +3, +4, +2, etc…
  • Definitely not necessary!! I didn’t do it for very long with either of my other two, just in the beginning to sort of be able to physically see the feeding progress when I was new to BFing, and again afterwards when we switched to formula. It was more of a piece of mind thing for me and just interesting to watch baby put themself on a kind of pattern or routine(which of course just goes right out the window at times 😂😂).

• Not pregnancy but baby related- anyone here use the owlet? We was given a brand new owlet duo sock 3, and since I have an iPhone I can't download the owlet care app to use it. Does anyone have this and still plan to use it? Is it going to become compatible with the new dream app/sock system? We've bought a cheap android tablet to try to download the owlet care app and use because it is a really good system and was like a $300 gift I want to try to use, I just hate that their company is a mess right now and wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar experience or has advise! 
  • I used a pen and paper to track gaining for lingering jaundice. I tried to use an app but didn't love it. I kept track of which side I started feeding on by moving an elastic on my wrist back and forth, or wrapping it on whatever side of my bra. I do think I would glance at the time to know approx how long I was feeding for. 
  • @jandawg such a smart idea about an elastic on the wrist to keep track! I’m going to file that away and use 
  • @jandawg I used a hair binder to keep track of which side too. It really helped in the middle of the night when I was too tired to remember anything.
  • I tried using an app to keep track of feedings - L/R and diaper changes but I could never keep up with it.  I ended up just not tracking anything and it made everything much smoother.  We just made sure to change baby before/after every feed at the beginning and if we smelled poop and that was plenty since they eat so often.  If we got a diaper that was somehow dry/clean one of those times we would make a note of it.  
  • This is more of a parenting a toddler/preschooler question, but has to do with the fact that we're having another baby so I'm hoping some of you more experienced mamas might have some insight... My 3 year old son has become very interested in my breasts. He asks me what they are and wants to reach under my shirt to touch them. He has also asked if I have a penis. I told him no, I have a vagina. I'm very pro-using correct terminology and being honest but he's also 3 and I don't think we need to get into all the differences between males and females. My biggest issue is in struggling with how to talk to him about my breasts. I plan on breastfeeding his brother, and so I don't want it to be this taboo private part because chances are I'm going to have to pull it out when I'm not in the privacy of my bedroom, but it's also hard to explain that his brother will be allowed to touch, suck, etc, and he may not even touch them because that's my own body part. Any suggestions or experience with this? 
  • @runninginva did you breastfeed your first son? Do you have any photos or videos showing you doing so? We find using photos or family videos of us doing things with our first (that she doesn’t remember) very helpful when we do things with her younger sister that she perceives as different. Like breastfeeding. Or some of the silly games with play or when we get excited that our youngest can do something like hop on 1 foot or a somersault that aren’t cute, funny or “impressive” when the nearly 4 year old does it. We often go to videos or photos of the older one doing that action when they were the age of the younger one and show that we got excited when it was something new THEN but now we get excited when she does thing like use a new word or learn how to write her numbers or swing herself, rather than being pushed on the swings. Helps them relate. I’d try that with breastfeeding. And say they’re generally a private body part that stays under our clothing and aren’t meant to be played with, but they also feed young babies.
  • @annashaf, I think that's part of the issue for me. I tried breastfeeding my son and it was a very difficult experience for me. It involved using a lot of contraptions (that syringe that they drink from while breastfeeding) and pumping, so we didn't take a lot of pictures because it wasn't the loving, positive experience I had envisioned. We have a lot more pictures of him drinking from bottles because that's what we ultimately went with. I might have some from the very early days... That's a great idea. I'm just hoping for an easier/better time this time. 
  • @runninginva DD (also 3) always wants to touch my boobs (no idea why lol). I just remind her that they are mommy's boobs, and we don't touch people's body and private parts without permission. She's very much well aware about who has penises vs vaginas, and how the baby is in my uterus, not my tummy, and will come out the "uterus door" (her words, not mine 😂😂),  but sometimes likes to ask or purposefully make incorrect statements ("mommy is a boy, he he he" "mommy do you have a penis?")  (makes for some interesting dinner conversations with the extended family) 😂 as long as she doesn't touch other people's privates without permission I'm ok with all that. 
  • @b_1029 right?? I mean she's not wrong, it's just called the cervix 😂
  • Maybe this will be a future product spotlight (or it was and I missed it sorry if this is a repeat) but have any of you tried a hands free breast pump (willow, freemie, elvie etc)? First time around I got the medela pump that was free with ins (very basic) and it works good but looking for a more wearable option for when I don’t want to be attached to the wall. They seem to be on the pricier side so would want to make sure that it’s worth it (doesn’t decrease milk supply drastically, actually wearable, etc)
  • @addsprinkles521 I used a Willow last time and really liked it. It’s only truly leak proof if you use the disposable plastic bags with it. I used the reusable containers as well and those leaked if you bent too far over. Sometimes I had trouble initially getting it to suction/latch on, but otherwise I didn’t really have any issues with it. I didn’t notice a difference between that and the Spectra pump I had but I probably wouldn’t start using it until your supply is more established anyway 
  • @addsprinkles521 everything I’ve seen indicates that the wearable pumps are good as secondary pumps, but can sometimes start to lose suction if used constantly (think moms who are primarily or exclusively pumping and using it for almost every pump session). I’d still get one through insurance but maybe have it for trips or if you’re going back to work!
  • b_1029 said:
    @pajamstagrams wow uterus door is my new favorite word 😂
    SAME. 🤣🤣🤣

• Anyone else have achy symptoms after getting the flu shot? Can’t tell if it’s from the shot or if it’s just my pregnancy back. 
  • @brookejay06 my arm was sore and I was tired (though it was 1st trimester when I got mine so I was always tired) but it did seem more intense than in years past. I also had a stronger reaction to the booster than with either of my first two shots so not sure if the hormones amp up the reaction/change how my body reacted or if it was luck of the draw. 
  • @taylorharris0522 we bought an android tablet to download the app and use, since we'll only use it at night! So far that's our plan until they re-release the app for IOS.
  • Anyone have a bidet that they love? Might treat myself for my birthday coming up, so I'm looking for specific brand recommendations! 😂🙈 I know we talked about them earlier but I couldn't see any specific recs. 

Unfortunately, no access to hot plumbing or electrical outlet in our tiny toilet closet, so I'll have to make due with cold tap water. 
  • I'm late to the uterus door party but omg I love it. 

@pajamstagrams we have a Brondell - it was $35 (cad) and it works great. We also only have cold water but it's totally fine. 
  • Any photographer ladies here? Or do any of y’all have a DSLR camera you love? I have had a Nikon D40 for yearssss but am wanting to upgrade. Thinking it would be a nice Mothers Day gift with new baby coming. 📸

• I have a Nikon d3500 and love it! It’s easy to use in both point and shoot and going manual mode! 
  • @MrsLaLaBug I’m definitely no photographer (pipe dream for sure…I need to get back into it so I can try taking nicer pics of the kid(s) ) but I have a hybrid camera - I want to say it’s a Sony NEX-super old version- and really like it. It’s not as heavy as typical DSLRs or at least how heavy they were comparatively in 2012 when I bought it 😆 ive never had a DSLR so I don’t have an opinion on quality comparison. So all in all, I don’t think this is a helpful answer to your question lol
  • Hi everyone .. it was suggested that I maybe ask this question in this thread! ☺️ Off topic I’m sure!!! Sorry!!

I’m struggling. My heart feels like it might shatter, but I’m doing the best I can. 6 weeks ago a hospital OB found what she thinks is a placental abruption. It’s very small
    2 cm and it’s unchanged as far as I know at this point from my last scan which is good. Scary but seems like it’s stable. I’ve been moving minimally since then. Half bed rest essentially. I’m back to work now but it’s ALL sitting so I figure it’s better to be doing something. I tried to go on a Facebook group about this issue and immediately had to leave because there was so much heartache and loss. I know my situation is very different and mild but I obviously panic. To make issues more confusing and complicated after the initial diagnosis, two techs that did 2 follow up scans on me listed it as a fibroid not an abruption. My OB sent it to a FETAL MATERNITY TEAM as well to look at as well
    And said it’s also a fibroid. Now I’m very distrustful at this point and I truly believe it still is an abruption as “ debris “ (or blood) was found in the amniotic fluid on the first scan. It hasn’t been seen since but still, that seems odd to me and also because fibroids don’t just APPEAR .. they show up before pregnancy or in the first trimester. I also had covid around the same time, so I don’t know if that’s linked but seems like it can be sometimes.

I’m just kind of beside myself. Just looking for hope. I meet with another OB for a third opinion next week. My midwife I’m sure regrets taking me on at this point because she’s tried to reassure me as much as she can… but I’m still so anxious I can’t let any of it go.

Anyone here have a similar situation? Positive stories!? 😮‍💨 I’m 26 weeks today.
  • @jinnyr Hey! I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble. My emotions are everywhere, too, and I’ve had a healthy pregnancy. From my limited knowledge of these conditions, your doctors sound like they’re being proactive. I’d take it easy, as you are doing, and try to do some things to reduce your stress and anxiety. Journaling may help! 

Maybe even see a therapist who specializes in anxiety and stress. There are a lot of options for online health therapy so you wouldn’t have to go anywhere. I have a degree in psychology and I work in the field and I STILL need a therapist sometimes. 

Sending all the good vibes I can! ~~~
  • @jinnyr similarly to @taylorharris0522 I do not have personal experience with this medical condition. However, I have dealt with a lot of anxiety, specifically postpartum. There are therapists that specifically work with pregnant and postpartum women so that may also be helpful. They would probably have experience in treating women going through similar uncertainty with their pregnancy as you are.

I can't even begin to imagine how stressful this must be, and I'm hoping it is indeed minor. Sending you lots of positive wishes and hugs! 
  • jinnyrjinnyr member
    edited February 2022
    Thank you, yes trying hard. Funny enough I am a therapist 🤦🏼‍♀️ 😆 So I help everyone else just can’t help myself in these situations. I agree I need therapy too, but for this I truly feel like it’s a medical issue. It’s black or white, like what is this, and what are my chances my baby will be ok? Ya know? I just feel really confused. I want to trust so bad. I want it to be a fibroid, but my goodness it’s awful right now! I cry daily. I hope the new OB can provide insight. I guess that’s all I have right now.
  • Thank you ♥️ yes I agree I need someone to talk to as well. My midwife has said this etc. It’s hard because I’m already in the profession. But seems like that might be something I just have to commit too. I might try to look tonight for someone online? I don’t even know. I work with lots of the people in my area so I can’t really do that unless I do private which maybe I can find someone. I feel bad that I’ve in a sense driven my midwife crazy, she’s a good doctor, but she’s over it. :s so I guess that’s my que to start dealing with this uncertainty. I’m not sure what else to do. I can only worry so much. My friend said something today, she said sometimes our babies are needed in other places, like heaven.. Sometimes it’s not with us. We have to trust that they know what is best too.. we have to trust and let go…so I’m just trying to process that. I want to take comfort in that and not pain.

Over all my midwife and every OB that’s been consulted have not been super concerned and my scans have all been stable, so I literally have to just stop. I have to take it easy and just trust in something because if I don’t I’m just gonna drive people away. 😞
  • Sorry to hear you are dealing with this, @jinnyr . You’ve definitely come to the right place for support even if we don’t have direct experience with this. My only suggestion is meditation may help?? I like guided ones available on Spotify/YouTube. Hugs 🤗
  • I don’t have any advice @jinnyr but sending my support. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. 
  • @jinnyr You are not crazy. It’s scary and you have every right to talk to your midwife about your questions and concerns. I can hear that you’re worried about bothering her too much. Remember that’s what she’s there for. She can tell you if it’s too much. And feel free to dump all your anxiety here if it helps. ❤️
  • Thank you. I’ll try to keep you guys updated. So tired of worrying, I think I have to do a complete 180. I’d hate to worry this whole pregnancy for nothing. It’s been 5 weeks or so that I’ve been like this. I need to turn it around. My poor husband. My last pregnancy was very tumultuous too for about the same time period… 🤦🏼‍♀️ but for entirely different reasons. I promised this one would be different and here we are. So it’s pretty much I get it together now and just be ok with the uncertainty or this one might be wrecked too. 😞 wrecked might be the wrong word, but I don’t look back fondly on being pregnant last time. I survived. And this one seems like I am too. 😢 Thats so sad to have to admit that. It physically hurts because I genuinely like parts of pregnancy and I just wanted to enjoy it because it will likely be my last one and more than Likley now despite wanting three kids potentially…There is no way my husband will want you have more kids. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ Can I blame him!? I’ve been a lunatic!! My husband is a very comfortable person in uncertain times. He lives there happily. I’m the opposite, give me uncertainty and I react as though I’m burning to death.. can’t hack it. Complete wreck. I drown every time. How is it that I pull others up through therapy but cannot help myself. It’s beyond me 😆🤨🙄

I emailed some councelling places tonight. I’m having lunch with a friend Tommorow and a massage Saturday. Guess we will see what my midwife says. I think no matter what I’ll end up transferring care. I think I’m more than she bargained for honestly. She was with me during my last pregnancy and I wasn’t sure I wanted her this time based on the stress of the last one. She’s great I just didn’t want her view of me or lens if you will. I wish I listened to that. But at this point I’m not sure I can picture her helping me to have this baby. I just feel embarrassed for being a broken record. 😞🤷‍♀️ Like I feel like I have to go into hiding the rest of my pregnancy to salvage any of it. I don’t know if that makes sense.

Glad I can write some of this here ♥️😮‍💨
  • @jinnyr Pregnancy hormones get the best of all of us! You are coming from a true place of concern, and that is reasonable. Just try to take a deep breath, and take it one day at a time. Easier said than done, but it is easy to fall into the negatives and what-ifs and forget to enjoy what little moments we do have in between! Good luck, momma! I hope everything gets better for you!
  • @jinnyr FX you get better answers and the help that you need! 💜

• My husband and I decided we wanted to do a delayed-immunization schedule.

Do any of y'all also follow a delayed schedule?

Essentially, we just don't want baby getting more than 3 shots per visit- still fully vaccinating just "spread out" so he isn't getting so many at one time. We are opting out of the Hep B at birth and will resume at two weeks, but we are doing the Vit. K at birth since we are circumcising.

Just curious to see how other parents follow a delayed schedule. I have family that followed a delayed schedule, and the pedi I plan to use is very accommodating to a delayed schedule. However, I'll be back at work around 8 weeks so mine will be more "rushed" compared to others.