December 2020 Moms
Options

Ask a BTDT Mom

Re: Ask a BTDT Mom

• Options
    @the_road_to_oz is it normal for your temp to go up and down degrees during your pregnancy? Or does it mean that something is wrong if your temp starts going down? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tryingktogku ok thank you. 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 yes like pp said. Temps range and go up and down. One minute I’m shivering and the next I’m a furnace. It’s all part of the hormones.
  • Options
    I have my first prenatal appointment tomorrow with a new doctor.  What are questions you wished you had asked?  (I have done some googling, so I pulled all those questions).  
  • Options
    I really like having baths.How hot can your baths be? I know they cant be hot and I have been having warm baths but just wondering if any of you know the temperature that is safe to sit in?  
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 what is their actual delivery schedule? (My own doc from last time only did deliveries on Tuesdays, I had a completely different team for my actual delivery). Honestly I feel like this is the most important Q. A lot of the Qs go depending on the actual hospital more than the doc. Are the labor and recovery rooms private? Is there a dedicated anesthesiologist on at all times? Do they offer non-medicated comfort? Labor balls, peanut balls, nitrous, wire free fetal monitoring? What's the c section rate? Do their office hours for appointments meet your needs (My office offered late appointments for pregnant Mom's only who needed them for work, my standing weekly check-up towards the end was Tuesdays at 6). Stuff like that. 
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 i just always to make sure about the genetic blood test and the do’s and donts because I always end up forgetting some things.
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 ive always don’t as warm/hit as was comfortable. I never let myself over worry about that with my 3. Obviously it’s not steaming but not Luke warm either. We have a hot tub and I turn it down to 98 while pregnant.
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 Ask if they do a pre-payment plan for delivery.  My OB has you pay $50 a visit to help offset your out of pocket costs for delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    @mindyb2019 I agree with @hham10 I didn’t let my baths be my normal scorching hot but I definitely didn’t take a lukewarm bath. I also just made sure I didn’t stay in too long so I didn’t raise my body temperature.
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 I am a hot bath lover and take one almost every day to relax. From all the research I‘ve done, as long as you are comfortable you should be okay. If you start feeling overheated or lightheaded, it’s time to get out. I’ve noticed that even this early on, I get overheated in the bath more easily, so I either have to start with the water a little cooler, or get out sooner. But you will feel when your internal body temperature starts rising, and when you get that feeling, that’s typically my cue to get out and cool off!
  • Options
    Question for BTDT moms: At what point in your pregnancy did you start “feeling” the baby daily? Whether through movement or just feeling like your bump was a real bump (ie: not just bloat :-/).

My first tri has been rough so far and I’m just so looking forward to the point when I can feel pregnant (for reasons other than vomiting and sleeping all day). I know it won’t be for a while but curious when that happened for you!

• Options
    I think the first pregnancy wasn't until like 20 weeks that I recognized it. Second was a little earlier, maybe 16 or 17 weeks?
    image     image
  • Options
    @laurenspdx I SWORE I could feel him around 16 weeks, this was around when it felt like a real bump to me as well, but I'm fluffy. At that point he was still high up and breech. Then I was taking a shower and I felt a huge "blump". That was him flipping down. After that I didn't feel him move again until around 20ish weeks. Then it was frequent, and in the end it was all the time. Busting to get out. 
  • Options
    @laurenspdx - I felt my first kicks at 15-16 weeks, which is about the same time I developed a noticeable bump vs. a thick abdomen.  By 20 weeks, I was consistently feeling kicks (to the point of distraction!). 

I think I really “felt” pregnant at 11 weeks after I got my NIPT results back and they looked okay - I didn’t let myself get very attached before then. #geriatricpregnancyproblems
  • Options
    Best nursing bras? My boobs have already gone up a full cup size and I may as well buy a nursing bra and break it in no? Also what worked best for y’all for sleeping? I’m usually bra-less when I’m at home but I know that’s not an option when you’re BF! 
  • Options
    @willashbaby I also had difficulty with nursing my first. Long story short, I ended up exclusively pumping as well. But my next two were the complete opposite! They both were champion nursers. However, the first time the hospital lactation consultant was basically in and out in a few minutes and said I was doing great even when I wasn’t. The second time I explained the difficulty I had the first time and asked for extra attention. My advice to a first time mom is advocate for yourself and ask all the questions, because they may not take the time with you otherwise. Also, the lactation consultants have sample gel soothies that make things much more comfortable, but they don’t automatically give them to everyone. Ask for them too!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku depending on how chesty you are - I love Playtex comfort flex I bought online at Kohls. They don't have underwire and have some built in flex so when I went from a 38ish C to a D and back it was still comfy. I was basically bra-less all the time at home with #2 after the first couple weeks and getting past the discomfort of getting milk in.
    image     image
  • Options
    I’ve never been a successful nurser, my longest being only 2-3 weeks. But I’ve heard great things about the nursing bras from Target (Auden?). I will be living in them soon because it’s been only sports bras the last few week’s at home. 
  • Options
    Investing in an expensive nursing bra was a waste for me since nursing didn't happen and I ended up needing pumping bras, which I then ordered quickly on amazon. I know many who prefer nursing tanks to bras.
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels @BmcD2016 @willashbaby thanks gals. I started out as a 34D now I’m prob a 34DD 😩 
  • Options
    @tryingktogku I haven't found a brand I love yet. Last time I was so tired of buying new bras-probably went from 34B to 36DD that I lived in these huge size adjustable Playtex bras from Kohl's for the 2nd, 3rd trimesters and nursing. I nursed till 14 months last time, so I have only spent 10 months out of them. I am determined to find something that makes me feel a little prettier this go around. I wouldn't invest too much in nursing bras until the 2nd trimester though. I also didn't need to sleep in nursing bras, I only leaked for a couple weeks and baby never let me sleep more than 2 hours.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @linds0503 that’s good to know thanks!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku It sounds like you’re about the same size as me. If you’re like me, and swear by underwire, I really like the Anita brand. I found it at a specialty bra shop, but you can also order them from Amazon. Destination Maternity carries some nice Natori nursing bras as well. I also like Destination Maternity’s store brand sports bra style for sleeping. However, you will still change size from pregnancy to nursing. Especially this early. I recommend getting a bra extender for now, and getting your nursing bras a little later. You can get something like this online or at any joann’s or other craft/sewing store.
  • Options
    target has the best nursing bras! And if it’s not long term, you don’t feel too bad since they are cheaper. And for a pumping bra, there was this weird string on off Amazon- not the most comfortable and looked like da suspicious but worked the best. Held things in place and steady.

• Options
    Here is the link! 
    Honestly I tried like four different expensive ones and never got a good fit, struggled getting it to stay- no issues with this. And it’s small enough it fits in your pump bag for Work.
    https://www.amazon.com/LactaMed-Simplicity-Hands-Free-Pumping/dp/B00HZ21AZU/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=pumping+bras+hand+free+for+women&qid=1588364435&sprefix=pumpin&sr=8-29&swrs=AF5B754DFF2FAA8BDA238ACC35626D8C

• Options
    @laurenspdx i first felt pregnant around 18 weeks which is when i started to feel vague kicks.
  • Options
    This is most likely a tmi but does anyone have any advice for the boob pain? I'm only 7 weeks and 4 days according to my last ultrasound but my boobs legit always hurt and I've already grown out of all the bras I own. Has anyone found anything that helps? Thanks!
  • Options
    Did any of you buy a fetal heart Doppler? I kind of want to but I also wanna know if other people actually do that haha but I think hearing the babies heart beat even once a week would be re assuring
  • Options
    @tryingktogku that's funny that you should ask this as I just ordered one online last night lol. I bought it cause it will give me a peice of mind to hear the babys heartbeat whenever I want in between long waits of u/s appointments. 
  • Options
    @tryingtogku I have been considering buying one but I can’t find a decent priced one. Y’all let me know if you see a good one.
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 I’m going to wait until after my first ultrasound to buy one (just to ensure it is a viable pregnancy) but @BmcD2016 the Sonoline fetal heart dopplers are pretty good and they are only like $70. Medical grade ones are like $200-300!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku I bought one with my first pregnancy and could never get it to work for me, literally not once ever. I also tried with my second pregnancy with no luck. I think I'm an outlier though, because I would watch videos trying to figure it out and other people seem to get them to work fine. I don't even know if I'll try it this time because I find it so frustrating! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku I thought about waiting till after my first ultrasound too just too make sure it's a viable pregnancy as well but I couldn't help it lol. I keep hesitating to order anything cause of fear but I'm trying to keep that mentality at bay and trust my body so I ordered it and thinking positive that I will be able to use it. 
  • Options
    @tryingktogku I bought one and didn't use it as much as I thought I would, though I found it very comforting for the month before I could feel any kicks.  I didn't buy mine until I was already 12 weeks, but I was able to hear it faintly on the first try (I also have some experience with dopplers, so I think I was fortunate with that).  I'm sure I'll be trying it earlier this time  ;)

FWIW, I used this site: https://www.babydoppler.com/  and had a good experience with them.  I bought the Sonoline B.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that dopplers can be dangerous if you use them to often. May be worth it to research that a bit, cause I don't remember the details and won't be getting one.
  • Options
    @jelososhervy dopplers can be dangerous because the average joe typically doesn’t know how to use them correctly which can cause unnecessary anxiety. However the ultrasound device itself is safe for mom and baby! 
  • Options
    @tryingktogku oh okay! 

I have a question for the BTDT moms...
    My two year old and I got along so well and we had a perfect routine and she would literally go to sleep with no fuss, potty trained, eats everything. But now that I'm pregnant with my bad nausea and am in bed all day she has been acting up so much! The last couple of days it took me 2 hours to put her down for her nap and I had to rock her like a freaking newborn. In the past whenever it would take so long to nap her we ended up dropping the nap but i am so not ready to have a non napping 2 year old. My sister moved in for a few months to play with her while I'm sick. It was fun for the first week but now she just calls for me all the time and runs into the room. She also climbs onto my belly and says "this is my spot". Im kinda losing it but I guess my q is: has anyone gone through anything similar? Do you think it's time to drop her nap? Is it gonna get better? 😫
  • Options
    hham10hham10 member
    @jelososhervy I would keep at the naps. You’ll need those when the baby gets here and that’s super young to stop napping. My 2.5 yr old when through a spurt of fighting naps but we kept at them and now he’s back to napping everyday. She needs the nap as much as you do.