December 2020 Moms
Options

Ask a BTDT Mom

Many of us have "been there done that", if you're new to this, ask away! Opinions and experiences will vary (of course) but that's why it's good to ask! Let us know, what're you wondering about?

Re: Ask a BTDT Mom

• Options
    Do symptoms (like nausea) go away and then reappear a different day?  Or is it more like you have a certain symptom for so long and then it passes?
  • Options
    @dancingtreepose that is ALL over the map! I experienced it exactly once for two minutes during my pregnancy with my son. Other people I know had it everyday, throughout various points of the day (calling it "morning" sickness is misleading). I had one friend who legitimately had hyperemesis gravidarum for both pregnancies (after the second she got her tubes tied). For MOST people I know who had it it would resolve by the end of the first tri (once the placenta is fully functional). Truly though, if you're suffering talk to your doc. Diclegis is real and it works for most women. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @dancingtreepose ^^  What @willashbaby said. Everybody and every pregnancy is different. Plus every day seems to be difference. For me, some days I'm more nauseous than others. I'm not sure what makes it different, just have to blame the hormones!
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    @dancingtreepose in my experience yes. Symptoms can come and go. I was pretty sick with my son but some days I was less sick than others or didn’t start feeling sick until later in the day. 
  • Options
    Same as what the other ladies said. Each pregnancy is different. Each trimester is different. Each day is different. 

I always hold out hope that if there is one especially rough symptom it will change in the next trimester. This time it is exhaustion and nausea/appetite. Crossing my fingers they ease up in a few more weeks.
    image     image
  • Options
    I'm trying to find a daycare for the baby, most places have years long waiting lists near our house.  Just the thought of leaving the baby brings me to tears and it's still nearly a year away.... Am I going to get over this or is it one of those lingering feelings that always stays with you?
  • Options
    @gh1219 I was OK because daycare was/is my Mom. I had to go back to work after 6 weeks and I was NOT comfortable with a daycare. Do you have to use a daycare? How old will the baby be when you do need care?
  • Options
    @willashbaby we don't have family around and were thinking the 60h daycare + part time nanny route.  We are both surgeons, I work 80+h/week because I'm still in training and MH works about 60, but he is often stuck in long evening surgeries and has an unpredictable schedule.  So the options are daycare + evenings and weekend nanny coverage or two full time nannies.  The cost difference is thousands per month, which is why we are leaning daycare + part time nanny.  I also don't get any parental leave and we are scraping 6 weeks together between the two of us, but that's for another rant thread.  But baby will need to start at 6 weeks old.

Obviously this is unsettling to me and makes me upset even to think about, but we know that this is how the majority of working families make their childcare work so I'll just have to get over it, right?
  • Options
    @gh1219 would you consider a live in nanny? With a schedule like yours (as long as you have the space) that's the route I'd go. They're quite common where I live. 
  • Options
    @gh1219 Another option might be a local nanny share? Some parents will “share” a nanny with one or two other kids and they are all taken care of in one home. It can sometimes be a more affordable in-between option! Also try finding local mom groups on Facebook and see if they have any affordable, trustworthy recommendations.
  • Options
    @gh1219 - it’s really, really hard. I had a 12 week leave and still struggled with the abrupt shift from spending all day with the baby to only nights and weekends. That being said - it DOES get easier, especially if you like your job. I’m in the medical field as well (veterinarian), and getting to use my skills again was satisfying enough to help smooth the transition.  I went the daycare route and it works for my kiddo - she really enjoys the social aspect. It’s a bit more expensive than the other places we looked at, but the peace of mind was ultimately worth it.  If you do go the daycare route, I would factor in distance from your house/hospital, since weather/illness/etc can end up having a huge impact on your schedule and how much awake time you have with your LO. 

US maternity leave policies (or rather, lack thereof) are a joke - rant on! 
  • Options
    @gh1219 it is hard leaving baby. But what I have come to appreciate is how much fun my child has there and always seems to have had a great time at childcare. I also enjoy that I am able to be present for her when we are together, which was very difficult the times I have been at home with her over extended periods. In the first year, I would drive across town to feed her during my lunch break. I am still unsure if it was worth it. It helped me emotionally, but I don't think she got a good feed and I ate way too much fast-food that year. I guess my overall point is that I love what daycare has given her, which is a more stimulating and social environment than I could have provided her with alone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @gh1219 it is definitely hard to leave baby with someone that you don’t really know, but as PPs said, there are definite pros to the situation, too. And once you get back into the swing of things, it will get easier. I definitely cried dropping DD off the first day, but we’ve been lucky to have the same daycare provider from day one (so six years now) and she loves our kids so much, and they love her. They have friends and they get so much out of being there. 
  • Options
    @gh1219, I second @RookieAlert recommendation of the nanny share. My son has shared a nanny with a little girl since he was 5 months old- we found her family on the NextDoor app. I love that the babies get companionship throughout the day, and it's also more affordable than a dedicated nanny for 1 child. The nanny is from Brazil and she speaks to the babies in Portuguese. Like you, I work long hours and can't really leave work to pick up my child if something happened at daycare (ie: son got sick). Daycare just wasn't flexible enough for us. The nanny share is about $700/month more than daycare would be, so it's a serious amount of money, but we found ways to tighten our budget in other areas. We also get light housekeeping and meals cooked every other week when the nanny's at our house.  

Prior to settling on the nanny share we researched a few Au Pair programs that looked great too. 
  • Options
    Au Pair's are big in our area and sound like it might be a great option since you and H both work long hours!

But for daycare experience, we LOVE it! The hardest part about this shelter in place is that our DD doesn't get to see her friends and teachers anymore. It was super hard when we first started, she was about 11 months. It took almost a month for me to be able to drop her off without her crying..but she was always happy and playing when we went to pick her up. She learns so much from the teachers there and I love that she's made friends. Makes me so sad that she's losing out on that experience right now.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    Oh man you guys!  @willashbaby @RookieAlert @luckypenny11 @linds0503 @Hetta05 @chapenroe @bearmomma1 thank you for your insights!!!  Lots to think about.  Everything is still on the table, will definitely keep an open mind and look into some other things like the nanny share which I haven't heard about.  Glad to know that lots of your babes are having great experiences at daycare/school!

• Options
    I would second the nanny share route! You have plenty of time to find a good nanny family who lives close by and then together look for a nanny when it gets closer.

We had a shared nanny for a year (5 months to 16 months) and it was great. Once DD hit 16 months it was easier to find toddler openings (infant openings/ childcare searching was the most stressful thing ever). DD took about two weeks to adjust to any new care arrangement, but has really come to love her daycare teachers and friends.

I would tell my past self or other new moms that there are multiple options out there that will work and your baby will absolutely bond with a new caretaker. It’s gonna be okay. You are still a good mom.

If you’re looking for books on postpartum adjustment issues, I highly recommend:

The Fifth Trimester
    Work, Pump, Repeat
    How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids
  • Options
    @gh1219 i dont have any tips I just wanna say I bow to you! Both surgeons saving other people's lives and having to go back to work after 6 weeks. Thats tough. Maternity leave here is 12 months. I will never understand why it's like that in the States. You all are amazing.
  • Options
    @jelososhervy where is it that you live that you get 12 months maternity leave? 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 probably Canada. They really are SO much better than the US is so many ways. If I could relocate tomorrow I would. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @gh1219 @mindyb2019 @willashbaby in Ontario we get 12 months Maternity leave which can be extended up to 18 months which is absolutely fantastic however money wise we only get “topped up” to 85% of our normal wages for the first 7 months and after that is is just an unemployment pay which is significantly less than what the average  joe takes home! I couldn’t imagine only being given 6 weeks, I feel for anyone who has to go back sooner than 6 months! However some our doctors here are in a similar boat where they are technically self employed and so they too don’t get a maternity leave unless they set aside money for themselves and just take time off which is equally as ridiculous! 
  • Options
    willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited April 2020
    @tryingktogku we don't even "get" 6 weeks. Previously with my job (and I'm a teacher in the largest union in the country) we got "six weeks" of using our own saved sick days, if you didn't have days saved, you got no pay. Only the federal FMLA (family medical leave act) which allows for up to 12 weeks UNPAID, you just can't get fired and you get to "keep" your medical benefits. That's it. Just recently New York added actual family benefits as part of it's unemployment. It's been ramping up the last few years so that by the time this baby comes my DH can take 12 weeks at 67% pay (up to the state average) so it's much better than before when he would have had nothing. My own union now covers us for 6 weeks at actual pay (but it's through our union, not paid by the government). After the 6 weeks paid we can take an additional 6 weeks IF we have accrued sick days OR unpaid. 
  • Options
    @willashbaby that is brutal! I can’t believe how far behind the US is with their mat leaves when they’ve done all the studies on how beneficial it is for mom to stay home with baby for the first 6month-year of life! 
  • Options
    @tryingktogku it's truly disgusting. I've been fighting/voting for universal health coverage and better parental leave since I could vote. It's so disappointing here. I have a few friends in Toronto and others in Ontario that I met from my former BMB. I visited them all at a GTG October 2018, if I could move I would!
  • Options
    ^^^ I second all this!!!

It's disgusting and unhealthy for families.  I have zero parental leave and have to use vacation time and borrow unused time from prior years.  I'm going to string together about 4 weeks of leave after the baby is born and work full schedule up til delivery.
    My husband just joined a new group and he fought hard to get 2 weeks parental leave written into his contract after the partners laughed at him when he first asked for parental leave.
    So we combined will get the baby to 6 weeks old.  Obviously we hope we have no problems for lots of reasons but for that reason as well.
  • Options
    @tryingktogku ya in BC Canada were the same as you. We get 12 months maternity leave which you can now extend to 18 months. I feel for you ladies in the U.S. that only get 6 weeks. That BS!! I couldn't imagine leaving my 6 week old baby and going back to work.  
  • Options
    I will get 8 weeks because of having a c-section, but it still never seems like enough time. I’ve always considered just stretching it out to the 12 weeks that FMLA provides but when you’re taking 8 weeks at only 55% pay, that’s hard to justify another 4 weeks. 
  • Options
    I get 16 weeks, full pay, bonding, and as much as I need if medical complications send me out on short term. I have six months short term, and long term kicks in after that. After pushing through working on bed rest last time and being in the hospital for almost a month, only to go back six weeks later before my doctor felt completely comfortable... that’s amazing and I am so grateful 

• Options
    I have a question for all you BDTD moms! How much did you lives change having your first child? What’s the best ways and the not so glorious ways? 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 I'm in Croatia. We have 12 months paid and I honestly cant imagine how you all do it because 6 weeks is NOT enough to establish breastfeeding and I still felt very very emotional for months after birthing. I hope it changes for you guys someday. Im not employed so it doesn't make a difference for me personally but my friends struggled a bit with going back to work even after 12 months! At about 4 months I started to feel awesome at breastfeeding, before that it was a rollercoaster.
  • Options
    @jelososhervy oh wow Croatia. That's cool
     I actually have a co worker from Croatia. That's awesome you guys get 12 months. I didn't know croatia did that too. I'm Canadian so we get 12 months also like you do, but they just extended it more so you can now have up to 18 months if you want which is awesome:) 
  • Options
    @willashbaby that’s super frustrating that they never watched you breastfeed in hospital to make sure everything was okay! Fed is best for sure! I love your answer encompassing DH! My husband and I also started dating at 15, got married at 23 now will have baby #1 at 24 and I thought of this questions because last night we were just sitting on the couch watching Netflix and I was just thinking how much our lives are going to change once this little bub comes!

@bearmomma1  well hopefully your new baby’s feeding journey will be much easier this time around for you! Thanks for the insight! 

• Options
    @gh1219 I’ve been in tears the last week trying to find a daycare, I started calling the day I found out I was pregnant (end of March) and most have an 18-24 month waiting list minimum. I’ve called over 30 places and I’m on about 6 waiting lists hoping for the best but all have told me they most likely won’t have an opening when I need it.  I had a breakdown today, how do people get their infants in daycare?!
  • Options
    @danife it is so crazy!!  The only place I found with an open infant spot is actually a brand new location for an established daycare, maybe just check when you call to see if anyone is opening a new location?  I stumbled into it and we still are waiting to commit but I was so thrilled to come across an open spot.  You got this!
  • Options
    Finding infant daycare was one of the most frustrating experiences as a first time mom-to-be (that and patching together leave under FMLA). The long waits was what inspired me to seek out a nanny share with a friend whose son was a month older. DD had a 1:2 care ratio at my friend’s house that was slightly cheaper than centers. Once she turned 16 months it was a lot easier to find a toddler spot. 

I would also suggest if you work in a metro area, daycares downtown are more likely to have openings because people don’t want to commute with their kids. We did a downtown daycare for 5 months with a carpool parking ramp until our “forever daycare” finally had space (2 years on that waiting list!). The only way infants start at our current place is if they’re younger siblings or staff members’ kids. 
  • Options
    @danife It's crazy. That's why you see so many Nanny's where I am. Daycares for infants are HARD to come by. They're also terribly expensive, I think when I did look into it full time was going to be around 2k per month. More than our rent!
  • Options
    ok, I have a question about temping. I know your BBT rises after ovulation and then it stays elevated if your pregnant. Does your BBT stay higher throughout your whole entire pregnancy till you give birth or just for a little bit then it goes back down to your normally lower temp? 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 I had an elevated temp the whole way through. I was so so hot that summer! It was also 110 the whole week my son was born.