July 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 2/3/20

Re: Weekly Randoms 2/3/20

• Options
    Not to start the morning off with a potentially touchy subject but anyone else a political junkie/anyone here from Iowa? Crazy stuff happening with the Iowa caucus.
  • Options
    @pocketrose Yes, political science was one of my majors.  I follow pretty closely.  The process for that state is already so complicated in counting.  It seems like a real headache.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I felt the same as @kristinl492 I was concerned about a recliner being "too comfy" and falling asleep. But now I kind of wish we had a recliner in DD's room so I may switch the glider into the new baby's room (if it has a room) and get a recliner for DD's room. We have an ottoman (like one of those round ones you see in all the instagram nursery pics lol).

• Options
    I tried to read up quickly this morning on what the heck Iowa's process is.  I still don't get it.  Poli Sci is not really my strength, but I do love Statistics!  I thought maybe it would make sense, but I'll probably have to try reading another article.  I used to teach next door to the Government teacher who would explain these things to me, but he's in a different classroom now.  
  • Options
    @pocketrose yes! And @bluguitarhannah I was also a poli sci major. One of my BFFs moved to Iowa over the summer to work full time in Pete's campaign, so it's been interesting to hear about her experiences.

I think there are some cool things about the caucus method, that it's so engaging and communal is neat. But also it's weird not to have a secret ballot and that so many people end up "voting" for a candidate other than their actual first choice?? Bizarre.

I'm curious to see the results (nothing is final yet, right?) But it almost feels like it doesn't matter anymore and we're just off to New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina anyway
  • Options
    @mehugg I agree that the Iowa caucus is fascinating and also a travesty (non secret voting, having that much power in a very small/white state, etc). Nothing final yet, looks like a good night for your BFF though as Mayor Pete did well. I vote in PA and plan on voting for whoever is second if my least favorite Dem candidate is first and for my real favorite if she's  ;) still in and competitive. 
  • Options
    Re: rockers/glider... I LOVE ours. It was our big splurge, but I don't regret it for a second. We have used it daily, spent hours and hours and hours in it, and it is so comfortable. It still looks brand new too. I was also worried about falling asleep in it and I have a crazy fear of my babies accidentally suffocating because I've fallen asleep, so I felt better getting this style that doesn't have cushy arms. Yes, if I fell asleep and baby fell out of my arms and dropped to my side, baby would then fall to the floor, but a 15" drop to the floor is a far better alternative than accidentally being smothered while I snooze away. (Sorry, I probably took that too far, but that was a super big fear of mine.) Link and pic of ours in spoiler.

• Options
    @meanjellybean In theory, the part that is messed up should have been the easiest part of the night.  In many caucus formats, it's the layers of voting that confuse folks. They start with who has the first wave of waves and is that large enough to yield the appropriate amount of support needed.   If a candidate does not have that eventually those caucus folks move to another candidate which is often where it gets a little rowdy.  As a voter, I had the chance to participate in one caucus 10 years or so ago.  It was an experience.

I'll also avoid direct political commentary and just say that when I see many people interviewed on their feelings about where things stand for our world/country it can be distressing. I recognize the tv folks likely pick the worst of the bunch for an interesting sound byte.

• Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    @mayisch I'm sure you're not alone... it's totally normal.

That said, I'm happy we're having a boy and all b/c DH was hoping for a boy.... but having a girl would be soooo much easier b/c of shared clothes and other stuff lol. Guess we'll just spend alllll the money on boy stuff! Oh well!
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah @pocketrose I caucused in Minnesota before and it was interesting. But I was also the privileged sort that CAN caucus-single, young, had my own transportation, no kids or family obligations. The process took hours and afterwards I could totally see why it’s a horribly privileged system. A bunch of young folks and old folks, but anyone with job or family responsibilities is screwed. MN is a primary state now, hallelujah. 

I do find the caucus process fascinating. I just wish we’d all get over our obsession with speedy technology and stick to what works. Paper ballots, double checks for accuracy, and take your time reporting the results. The OMG RESULTS STILL ARENT IN insanity is just so much media drama. 
  • Options
    @blaf322

also boy/girl poll makes me think July is a boys month :lol:  
  • Options
    modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited February 2020
    @pocketrose @meanjellybean @mehugg @bluguitarhannah @JessDG (and anyone else interested in Iowa caucuses last night.)

I'm in Iowa and we went to Caucus last night. It is really very simple, and since I'm from a pretty rural area it wasn't rowdy or crazy or anything. It really gives us a chance to see how our favorite candidates are doing and lets us gauge if we think they will run a successful campaign or not. I love that it's not a secret process. I also took my kids last night so they could experience it.

If you don't know how the caucus works, I'll explain that quick. (Feel free to skip if you just don't care- I get it.) When we came in, we signed in and there were chairs set up with specific rows marked for each of the candidates. We chose our section to sit in. They passed out the paper form and we each filled out our information and wrote our first choice candidate's name on it. (Had to be the section we were sitting in.) The first round results were sent in via an app. Then, if the section you were in had received at least 15% of the room's vote, you just handed in your form, you were done. If your candidate didn't receive the required number of supporters, you had to choose a new candidate, or get other people (whose groups didn't meet that viability threshhold) to join your group. Once that was figured, those numbers were sent in via an app as well. Then we were told how many delegates each viable candidate received and those delegate numbers were reported via app as well.

So to break it down, I was there supporting Pete Buttigieg. My specific precinct had 72 people there. It was reported (for Pete) as follows:

First Round: 31 votes

Second Round: 34 votes (3 people from non-viable candidate groups joined us)

Total Delegates: 4

Our secretary was having app difficulties and was on the phone to call in our inform when we were dismissed, but my precinct had 7 delegates. 4 for Pete Buttigieg, 1 for Amy Klobuchar, 1 for Elizabeth Warren, and 1 for Bernie Sanders. 

It is super frustrating that it looks like such a mess because it was actually a very simple and transparent process. I hate that my more conservative friends and family members are calling the caucuses a joke and a waste of time and money.

I would much rather have them take a little longer to report accurate data points than have them report inaccurate information and then later retract their incorrect reports.

Also, here is a pic of my kiddo (7) excited to be there last night. It was fun!

• Options
    @modoodles That's neat you and your family were there.  I love to see kids get excited about democracy.  The only time I had the opportunity to caucus it was a fun process.  I've mostly lived in traditional primary states. 
  • Options
    modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited February 2020
    @mayisch I'm abandoning my team green hopes because I do really want a girl and am really afraid of being disappointed if we have a boy at the delivery. I don't  want to feel that way, but it's a fear of mine, rational at all. I have 1 daughter (14) and 3 sons (13, 10, and 7)
  • Options
    @modoodles so cool that you took your kids to experience it! It really does sound like a very unique process, thanks for sharing. I agree that the "spin" about how the caucuses were handled is disappointing but I also hope most people can see through that for what it is...
  • Options
    @meanjellybean three of the kids really loved going, but my 10 year old cried and argued with me all the way there, and then sat and read a book the entire time. He blindly follows whatever opinion his dad (my ex husband) has. And for the moment that seems to be any Republican over any Democrat. I told him he could stay home if he knew 5 facts about ANY of the candidates, otherwise he needed to go so he could at least see another point of view. So, he had to go. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    @modoodles I love that strategy lol I need to file it away for the future!
  • Options
    @pocketrose I feel like there are some really good candidates to choose from, I'm hopeful that a more moderate liberal can get the nomination because I think more conservatives who aren't Trump fans would be willing to vote Democrat in the next election. One of the concerns I heard about Pete last night is that he is openly gay and more conservative people would definitely not vote for him. I think anyone who sees that as a deciding factor in whether or not to vote for him, would never vote Democrat anyway. 
  • Options
    @mayisch I also think it’s totally normal to hope for one over the other. With our second I had just assumed for some reason that we’d be having a boy since we already had a girl but then when we found out she was a girl thinking about how they’d have a sister was fun too. This time again I for some reason really thought boy but then the closer we got the more nervous I felt about it. I think after having 2 girls there was this fear that I just wouldn’t know what to do with a boy plus I loved the girls name we came up with lol silly! Like you said we’d love this baby no matter what but I don’t think it’s bad if you’re hoping for one over the other. 

• Options
    @modoodles I love this on the ground scoop! Thanks for sharing! Love that little parenting nugget too lol
  • Options
    @meanjellybean good luck with the house stuff! Keep us posted!

@modoodles thanks for the inside scoop, and A+ parenting to you for your son. :lol:

@mayisch echoing everyone else that I think it's very normal to have a preference. I know some others in my last BMB struggled with this, and my advice/two cents was always the same. You can feel sad about not having a boy/girl AND happy to be having the other at the same time - those feelings aren't mutually exclusive. Feel what you need to feel, and like you said, you'll be thrilled in the end with a healthy baby either way!
  • Options
    @mayisch I think honoring your feelings that there's a preference for whatever reasons is honest and fair.  I do think it's more common maybe than some want to admit.  And to me there's a difference between a leaning in your head and I'd never be happy having a girl or boy.  Those are really the only folks I don't get but that's more my journey with infertility.

• Options
    @mayisch agreed with others that it's normal to have a preference, although I can't relate. What I don't understand is when people are legitimately pissed off. I have another app and skim their community section and have seen so many stories about husbands being so angry they sleep on the couch?! Like dude, you know you are the one responsible for determining the sex, right?
  • Options
    @mayisch I agree with it being totally normal to have a preference. I think you can’t help but think “what would’ve been.” This is boy #2 for us and it took me a minute to adjust to the idea that I’ll probably never have a daughter. We may go for a third one day, but I would expect to have another boy. I couldn’t care less about the pink and the bows and all the stereotypical “girly” stuff, but I’m close with my mom and can’t help but hope to have that relationship with my own daughter. That being said, I am SO excited for my son to have that baby brother and hopefully be best buddies and be close. Plus, my son is such a mamas boy and I’m really looking forward to (hopefully) having that bond again with another little boy. 
  • Options
    @b_1029 seriously?! That personality type would be a major red flag for me and I'd judge that spouse, a lot. I don't judge over preference or even feeling a little disappointed... but being legitimately angry over something that's, really, pure chance, is insane.
  • Options
    @blaf322 totally agree - I don't know if that app just has all the crazy people on it or what, but I've seen some stories that make me go wtf???? 
  • Options
    @b_1029 yeah no I don't get that either. So pissed they sleep on the couch? Nope, you can just go ahead and get out of the house and my life. Bye.

At my AS with DD, our US tech was telling us about one couple who was there for their AS and the entire time the husband was talking about how it better be a boy and he wants nothing to do with the baby if it's a girl, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, the tech was looking at their baby girl's heart, and it had a very serious problem. Long story short, but the mom and dad ended up divorcing shortly after. I cannot imagine being in that poor woman's shoes.
  • Options
    @b_1029 the other app I skim but never post on has the wildest drive bys.  I just don't know people like that IRL.
    @blaf322 yeah for energy.  Mine really has been better last two weeks I've lasted to 10 pm a couple of times. 
  • Options
    @JessDG I'm sure DH will be a little bummed if we never have a boy but he's not actually going to care. That's crazy how immature that guy was being...also crazy she decided hey, lemme have another kid with this guy!

@stlbuckeye132 what the actual F? That is so horrible. I also can't imagine being that tech sitting there listening to all that while delivering that news. 

@bluguitarhannah I can't handle the organization of other apps. It's just like drive by after drive by. Then people will say "omg I love you ladies and feel so close to you" and I'm just like....how do you even know them when there are like 80000 threads and half of them are about the same things? It makes me really appreciate the organization of TB. 
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah same! I only went to bed before 10 last night b/c DH was tired. I totally could have stayed up later! Glad you're experiencing some renewed energy too!
  • Options
    @b_1029
    I LOVE the organization of the bump.  I'm super Type A haha.  My SIL suggested another site she used and it took me approximately 1 day to realize that was NOT going to work for me.  I'm glad I stumbled upon this place.