January 2020 Moms

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• @ang3lbb I'm sorry your feeling crappy too! Have you found anything that helps?
  • Anyone else experiencing severe lightheadedness and dizziness?  I've gotten it occasionally but it's really bad today even when I'm just sitting down.
  • Loading the player...
  • @valerie4786 Yes, big time. Sometimes I just have to stop and sit down wherever I am until it goes away. I try to drink a lot of water when I feel that way just in case it’s dehydration. 
  • @valerie4786 totally. If I get up to fast it’s bad. 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • I’ve been dizzy a lot of the time—find its worse when I realize I haven’t had enough protein during the day! I also find that blue Gatorade is my savior!
  • @kem2020 I've also been craving Gatorade recent. I should have bought more while I was at the store.
  • @valerie4786 - I've had a few bouts of dizziness, to the point of seeing spots. I find it's when I'm low on my water intake and my blood sugar has tanked.
  • @valelrie4786 I've had dizziness when I get up too fast this whole pregnancy. My MW said it was normal and told me to drink more water. Dude, I'm already drinking SO MUCH WATER. But oh well.
  • For STM+, any thoughts on choosing a hospital? With my OB practice, I can pick one of three in my area but need to do so soon. All are roughly equidistant from my house. They seem largely the same but with some differences.

For instance, one offers nitrous oxide, which seems like a great way to delay (or maybe even avoid??) an epidural. But does that even help much? Also, one has no window in the labor/delivery room but is nicer overall. What’s more important, a window to the outside world or a more soothing inside space?

What are things you all really liked/disliked about your previous delivery hospital?
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself I never used nitrous oxide, so I can’t help there, but I honestly doubt you’ll care if there’s a window or not when you’re in labor. I can’t even remember much about my room lol However, having the window would really depend on how much you care about having natural lighting. I know some people who feel depressed in a room without natural light. Personally, I cared more about the room interior than the window.

I picked my hospital because it had the most amenities that were important to me, but that also had great staff. I loved how great and on top of things the nurses were, how big my delivery room was, and just how clean/nice everything felt. It was pretty much state of the art for my general area. The only thing I really hated was everyone trying to tell me how to breast feed and the awful social worker that kept coming in acting as if my husband abused me just because he was laying in bed with me. She also kept harassing me with questions and I finally had to kick her out and refused to speak with any social workers. I am planning on using the same hospital again even though there is another one closer to me now. The staff is much better there!

Anyways, good luck with your choice and go with the one that feels right!
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself definitely go with what feels right.

for me I picked the hospital that wasn’t the closest to me but the OB I had was the head of the department there, the hospital is brand new and they had a 24hour visitor policy which was important for me. I didn’t want my husband being sent home if visiting hours were done. Also I delivered at 2am so I believe there was a window but I didn’t notice
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself I’d consider looking into their NICU, you never know if you will need it. One of the hospitals near us doesn’t have a nicu and another only has a lower rated nicu so if needed, baby would be sent elsewhere. I’d also look into csection rates. Some have higher than others and if you’re looking to stay away from one (if possible) then being at a hospital with a lower rate would be better. 
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself I agree with what @kbrown2385 said. Base your decision on the quality of healthcare and level of NICU. If the baby needs advanced care you don’t want to end up separated if baby is transferred out and you are stuck still recovering at the hospital you delivered at. 
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself - Definitely agree with @kbrown2385 on a NICU. I had a 41 weeker, so NICU wasn't even in my head, but she had to be in the NICU for 3 days because of meconium aspiration. I don't know when I would have seen her had she been transferred to a different hospital.
    Other than that, I also chose my hospital because it had labor tubs. 
    I didn't use nitrous oxide, but I did use some IV meds that took the edge off and I avoided an epidural. 
  • @knotsurewhattocallmyself i agree with the other ladies on their points. For me, one hospital only had a midwife led unit and if you went there and had complications, you would have to be blue lighted to the other hospital which is 10 mins away in no traffic & i simply wasnt comfortable with that. Have you taken a tour of the hospitals? and have you a gut feeling about any one in particular?
    Also, i took all the drugs including nitrous oxide, diamorphine, epidural & spinal. With the nitrous oxide at first when i wasnt in pain it made me feel a little woozy & not in control but when things got going, i was eating the tube and it wasnt doing much for me. it also made me throw up even water! but everyone can have a different experience with it. 

• @knotsurewhattocallmyself I agree with the other ladies that NICU quality is a major factor. I picked the hospital with the level IV NICU even though I didn’t end up needing it. It also offered nitrous, which I used during labor. I found that it took the edge off of excruciating back labor for me, though I did still end up needing an epidural eventually.  
  • Ok two random questions here:

1: Would you say it's ok to play golf ? I am not a golfer but we have our annual company tournament on Friday and not sure if my over swing will just cause me to pull or stretch something. Worst comes to worse I'll just drive around on the golf cart

2. I was told I have an anterior placenta, I know it's not a cause for concern, just wondering of other people's stories or experience? I already do feel movements more deeper inside but later on will I get to see the kicks or they will remain more internal? 
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k - Not sure if golf is "safe" but I stopped disc golfing because I didn't like to feel the twangs when I twisted. 
    I had an anterior placenta with DD (not sure what it is this time), and I was able to feel movements at 17 weeks and DH could feel movements at 19 weeks. I definitely saw kicks and somersaults and all of that!
  • jacerujaceru member
    @knotsurewhattocallmyself
    Things that were important to me were single room/support person (husband) allowed to stay overnight, NICU level and staff, and not too far from home. This time, I also preferred somewhere that has a nursery to use if wanted for baby overnight. 

• @marebear15 good to hear that you could still see the kicks etc, I was hoping for that so DD can get even more involved as things progress.

• I'm sorry if I missed this on another thread..... but it's about that time- can anyone recommend a maternity/nursing bra they liked?! 
  • @amb0924 I really like Kindred Bravely bras!
  • On the topic of where we’re all going to birth, any other home birthers? This will hopefully be my third 😊
  • Is it weird to just send a mass email to my office suite workmates that I'm pregnant? I just feel awkward going to them one by one and a couple of people are out of the office today. My boss already knows. I just feel like this will be the fastest way to tell everyone. LOL.
  • @stashattack that's exactly how I did it and don't regret it at all. 
  • @stashattack I don’t think it’s weird to send out a mass email to everyone. It’s so much easier that way!
  • @stashattack - I think that's fine. Maybe even attach a cute announcement picture?
  • @stashattack maybe I'm the weird one, but I don't bother to tell people officially unless you're on my team or I work very closely with you. But I just hate sharing personal info
  • Thanks guys! I'll do that this weekend :) 
  • @persnickity I was with you. I just kinda let the “gossip” spread  and never had to announce anything. Granted I was also pregnant, which my boss knew, when I started my job 🤷🏻‍♀️ (Pregnancy w DS. Now DS is my boss and he doesn’t care as long as I can microwave chicken nuggets)
  • With my work, the 2 female members of me team caught me throwing up in the toilets at 8ish weeks so i had to tell my line manager after that. Then i was in such shock when i found out it was twins just before 10 weeks that my way of dealing with things is to talk about it & I just blurted it out to the rest of my team & one of the guys is a mouthy gossip (completely harmless and means well but such a woman) & he kinda told everyone for me.
  • @mrsbuddd I’m a homebirth “fan.” I don’t want to do it myself but love hearing about them! Glad they’ve worked out well for you!
  • Since the product spotlight is about breast pumps I have a question:

I gave my SIL my pump since I only used it 3 times. She used it quite a bit now (4-5 months). If I just order the replacement parts is this something I can still use again or not really?
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k it depends on the pump. Some are open system (like the medala) meaning milk can get inside and contaminate it. There are closed systems like the spectra that can be used by different people, you’d just need to replace the tubing and such. 
  • @kbrown2385 i have the medela! ugh i guess that applies to all medela pumps. 
  • I am only 14 weeks but am now 100% convinced I have been feeling movement for the past week or so.  At first I only noticed it at night when I was laying in bed, but now I am having these sensations like my stomach is dropping or a "whoosh" in my lower abdomen multiple times a day.  It seems so early to feel anything so I am doubting myself, but these aren't things I normally feel LOL.  Anyone else?
  • schreibabyschreibaby member
    edited July 2019
    @DalexRN I am 14 weeks 5 days, and I think I have been feeling some movement as well. It's like a poke or flutter that seems to come from the inside out. Different from anything I've felt so far. 
  • @DalexRN I’m 14 weeks tomorrow but I’ve been pretty sure I’m feeling movement for the last week or so. Very randomly and not very often. But it’s always a little wiggle in the same general spot. 

Anyone else having crazy skin? My finger under my wedding ring is dry, red and almost cracked so I’ve had to take that off. My scalp is also so dry. 
  • @MrsJessS My skin has been the opposite, but in a bad way! It’s been super oily/greasy feeling, especially in my face when I wake up. It’s causing me to get some pimples too! However, my scalp has been dry though as well.