December 2019 Moms
Options

QUESTION Thread

Re: QUESTION Thread

• Options
    @Stac928 Thanks! Did you deliver vaginally then? Also, did you have any bed rest and / or bleeding? Do you remember where your placenta was located? After posting I read 28 or 29 in a study of women with anterior placenta (where mine is) moved by 30 weeks. 
  • Options
    @ashorkey I had an anterior placenta. I did not deliver vaginally but having nothing to do with that (DS’s cord was around his neck). I had no bleeding and no bedrest but I did have pelvic rest for a long time (maybe week 25? on). The pelvic rest sucked. We also had a plan in place if I went into labor. No laboring at home because of risk of bleeding. Any signs of labor I went to the hospital. But this never happened. I never even had Braxton Hicks contractions until after it resolved. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So this might be a silly question, but FTM here, so I have lots of silly questions...what is the difference between a recieving blanket and a swaddle blanket? I'm registered for a pack of swaddle blankets, and my hospital is telling me to bring recieving blankets, and I have no idea if they're the same thing or not, or if it really matters.
  • Options
    Also a FTM but I think swaddles would be fine? 
     Receiving blankets are smaller and often used for burp cloths and stuff, and aren't stretchy. Swaddling blankets are larger, also multipurpose, and are a bit stretchy. 

Receiving blankets used to be what newborns were first wrapped in after they were born.
  • Options
    So the "why my pregnant self is crying" board made me think of this, but is anyone feeling less emotional than usual? 

I was definitely moody (tending toward angry before teary) in the first trimester. Ive really only had one big emotional cry since then. The other day I did randomly get teary to people sort of speaking one word responses to an art talk I was at, but other than that I have felt very steady.

I looked up "emotional states during pregnancy" and one of them was just "blissfully happy" and then I was like oh..maybe I am just really happy.

Is anyone else here not on as much of a rollercoaster as they expected? 
  • Options
    @jandawg I'm definitely not feeling more emotional right now. I'm maybe a bit more impatient than normal, but otherwise I feel absolutely normal. I don't think I'm blissfully happy... but I'm not crying or angry either. Just sort of even keeled. You're not alone! 
  • Options
    ninrmsninrms member
    @jandawg Yes!! Considering how absolutely emotional I was prepreganncy, pretty darn often, over lots of stuff, I expected pregnant-me to be an absolute emotional mess. I feel like, if anything, I've been more stable than before! I'm still only 17w, so who knows what's yet to come, but so far, overall, I've been pretty even.

@ale9687 @ktmaesim @cpk3535 Thanks for the skin advice! I'm hoping this is just pregnancy related and that this mole hasn't suddenly turned cancerous or something.  :#
  • Options
    @jandawg I haven't been as emotional since hitting the second trimester either. I remember with my first I didn't get roller coaster emotions until the third trimester though so I'm bracing for it lol!
  • Options
    @jandawg I haven’t been like crying emotional, I’ve been short tempered/ragey though. Which I’m also choosing to blame on this foul east cost heatwave. Heat index is set to hit 110 today and tomorrow in Baltimore. 
  • Options
    jandawgjandawg member
    edited July 2019
    @brrrrrrrrie @ahshorkey @ninrms @anniemarie887 thank you, nice to know I'm not alone!

*Edit - tag
  • Options
    g_gabs71016g_gabs71016 member
    edited July 2019
    @blueskychicago12Yes! I am in Chicago and when my daughter was born we used public transportation because we didn't have a car. We would use it to take her to daycare and back, all the way to downtown from Lakeview. A couple thoughts: if you are going in rush hour traffic, consider using a carrier. It is just easier. I would also invest in a small scale stroller that is easy to fold with one hand that you can put easily under your seat or on the space on the bus up front, with the railings. In the winter, when it was really cold, we did Uber or taxis, and for that we bought the Nuna Pipa, which is really light and you can use without the base. If you take the train and have a bigger stroller, just confirm that the stations you are using have handicap access, because not all of them do. Finally, I would probably avoid taking public transit until your little one has all his / her shots but maybe you can get your pediatrician's advice on that. Ours said that for flights, so we applied the same logic to other contained spaces with lots of people.
  • Options
    Has anyone had moments of light headedness? I've been staying cool, drinking water, and eating throughout the day, but have had a couple of moments while I was sitting down where my head felt light and I got a little dizzy. Thoughts?
  • Options
    @g_gabs71016 thanks!  Good advice.  Sounds like a carrier is the way to go. 
  • Options
    @brrrrrrrrie I’ve had several moments throughout the pregnancy. Sometimes I think it may be blood sugar related. We do have increased blood volume though which can cause dizziness as well. Bring it up with your doctor if you’re worried but I think it’s par for the course.
  • Options
    @k_mama91 thanks. I think it must have been low blood sugar. It was a little unnerving - I've never had anything like that happen before. 
  • Options
    @brrrrrrrrie It happens to me even when not pregnant, I’m not sure why 🤷🏼‍♀️ I crammed a bunch of cookies in my mouth and it passed after a few minutes. If I hadn’t experienced it pre pregnancy I would’ve been freaked out too. 
  • Options
    Sorry for TMI, but I'm having diarrhea.  I checked my doctor's list of safe/unsafe OTC medications, but there is no info on there about anti-diarrhea meds.  Does anyone's doctor packet list info about them?
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 hope you feel better.

• Options
    @holly321 thanks so much!  I checked Google, but wanted to confirm that someone's doctor said it was ok!
  • Options
    bookworm492bookworm492 member
    edited July 2019
    So,  I quit my job back in April and started a new one immediately.  My old insurance was supposed to cut off April 19 but my incompetent former employer didn't figure that out until may 31. So all my medical bills,  including all the blood work testing,  went on that insurance instead of my new insurance (both BCBS). Had it properly gone on my new insurance, as I was under the assumption it would, it would have been covered less the deductible, but at this point I may be out of pocket about $2k. Yes,  I plan to legally pursue my former employer. 

My question though: this is yet another example of getting burned by the medical or insurance field-- this happens every time I see a doctor so my usual MO is to just avoid healthcare.  I have an ultrasound coming up August 2 which I now want to consider skipping as I've decided here on out I'm only doing the minimum medically necessary. I'm reading conflicting advice about if the 20 wk ultrasound is necessary.  Any advice?

ETA: I had the DNA test done that tests for down syndrome and that came back negative so the u/s wouldn't be looking for that. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 wait, call me crazy... but it just needs to be resubmitted under your correct plan. Also, if you provided your new insurance card to your OB they should’ve submitted it the correct ID/group number. I don’t think you should be of pocket anything more than the norm 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 FTM, so I'm not an expert, but from my understanding, the 20 week ultrasound isn't just to check gender...it's to check for growth, development, and any potential abnormalities that can't be picked up by a blood test. For us, it was a non-negotiable, but I can see where that would be difficult to decide given financial concerns. For instance, we found out baby boy is measuring small--still normal, but the small side of normal. I'm honestly not sure what steps would have been taken if he had measured out of the normal range, but they really do try to keep track of growth and development so they can help figure out how the pregnancy needs to proceed--whether that means diet, medication, or some other form of treatment to ensure a healthy mom and baby. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @bookworm492 wait, call me crazy... but it just needs to be resubmitted under your correct plan. Also, if you provided your new insurance card to your OB they should’ve submitted it the correct ID/group number. I don’t think you should be of pocket anything more than the norm 
    They did submit it correctly. Bcbs uses the older plan as the primary insurance and the newer plan as the secondary regardless of how  it was submitted.  Only recourse is for the former employer to try to work it out with BCBS. I don't trust their HR dept (because when I worked there I knew more about payroll and benefits than the HR director did and he always came to me to oversee it) so I went straight to their broker,  I have his cell phone # from my days working there. 

My point is more, I already went into this with a very low trust of insurance and MD's and to keep my stress low I'd like to only do what I really have to do. I'm skipping a lot of the other testing options. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 FTM, so I'm not an expert, but from my understanding, the 20 week ultrasound isn't just to check gender...it's to check for growth, development, and any potential abnormalities that can't be picked up by a blood test. For us, it was a non-negotiable, but I can see where that would be difficult to decide given financial concerns. For instance, we found out baby boy is measuring small--still normal, but the small side of normal. I'm honestly not sure what steps would have been taken if he had measured out of the normal range, but they really do try to keep track of growth and development so they can help figure out how the pregnancy needs to proceed--whether that means diet, medication, or some other form of treatment to ensure a healthy mom and baby. 
    I'm only getting a level 1 ultrasound,  so I'm not sure if they look at size during this.  Most women nowadays get a level 2 at the 20 week marker I *think* but my practice is super hands off.
  • Options
    @bookworm492 first I'd check with your insurance to see what you'll be charged for the ultrasound.  Mine are covered at 100% (although I will end up paying the out of pocket maximum for the delivery and hospital stay).
    Like @rjgmcmanus said, the anatomy scan (whether level I or II) involves checking all of the baby's organs (brain, heart, kidneys, etc.) in detail to look for any abnormalities.  It's a personal choice for you to make with your OB's input, but to me, I want to find out if everything is ok, mainly so that if something is wrong, it could be treated as promptly as possible.
  • Options
    @bookworm492 I work for medical billing, I would think it would still need to be resubmitted as the new insurance as primary, but maybe I am misunderstanding?

also, IMO that ultrasound is necessary.  My nephew had complete kidney failure and SIL had to be induced early, etc.  had that not been caught at the 20 week ultrasound, he would have most likely died.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @holly321 asked that,  the answer is since I had 2 insurance policies with bcbs, the older, original one overrides.
  • Options
    @bookworm492 but once your old employer fixes it, you only have one plan, correct?  Therefore once he old plan is retroactively cancelled, all the claims need to be resubmitted.
  • Options
    @holly321 theoretically,  I'll believe it when I see it.  I already have a major distrust of medical care here,  and now it's like one more data point to not trust the system for me.
  • Options
    @bookworm492 I get what you are saying, and I have issues with insurance and stuff too, but I would not hold this against the medical insurance, I would think you previous employer is the only party at fault.

*side note, in defense of the doctors office, they have to submit to what is considered primary insurance, otherwise the other insurance would deny the claims.
  • Options
    holly321 said:
    @bookworm492 I get what you are saying, and I have issues with insurance and stuff too, but I would not hold this against the medical insurance, I would think you previous employer is the only party at fault.

*side note, in defense of the doctors office, they have to submit to what is considered primary insurance, otherwise the other insurance would deny the claims.
    Someone's pretty clearly bullshitting me,  I'm not sure how they could have billed my old insurance because I never gave it to them. 

I agree my old employer is at fault. 

Every time I get medical care,  some sort of nonsense happens,  it's something different every time.  So I avoid medical care as a general course,  once the baby's born ill bring it in for it's medical care but I personally don't get check ups/physicals etc. Or seek medical care. I just don't trust it for myself after a list of various bad experiences.
  • Options
    @bookworm492 when they tried to submit to the new insurance, blue cross probably applied it first to the old, since from their point of view, that insurance is primary.  
  • Options
    @bookworm492 Is it possible you're part of a medical group, and that's how they have your old insurance? For instance, all my doctors fall under the same parent medical organization. I chose it to be this way because the all share the same electronic medical records, and thus I don't have to transfer records between offices. So my OB/GYN can see my info from my PCP, who can see when I've been to the UC, etc. It's a bit big brotheresque, but pretty common nowadays, and it's much more convenient. But that might explain the insurance thing. If you're part of a group, it was already on file. Though I do think it's strange they wouldn't have verified it at your appointments.
  • Options
    @holly321 that's exactly what they did. I asked the bcbs rep "so I'm the one up shit creek because of this?" And she said "yes"
  • Options
    @rjgmcmanus no clue.  I only get medical care now because I'm pregnant.  I don't go to any drs otherwise say for preventative care after too many experiences where I felt totally disrespected or that I was being charged for unnecessary services, so I shouldn't have current files on record.
  • Options
    McKBabyMcKBaby member
    edited July 2019
    @bookworm492 That certainly sucks and yes, sounds like your old employer fucked up, but this can definitely be fixed. It will take some man hours on your part to ensure 1.) Your old employer cancels the policy retroactively 2.) All medical claims submitted need to be resubmitted under the correct, single policy, but it’s a fight worth fighting to save yourself the money. Insurance companies are legally bound to their contracts with the employers/organizations.

Since BCBS knows that the claims were submitted in a timely manner in accordance with your new employers policy, they have to pay them once the error is fixed. I had a similar issue years back that was going to potentially leave me on the hook for at $25,000 hospital stay and it worked out (also with BCBS).

Also as far as the 20-week scan, yes I’d consider it a 100% necessity and would not skip.

Good Luck! 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options
    I will go to the 20 week scan.  I will admit this has really taken the wind out of my sails and I have no desire to go to it/ get images,  but will to be responsible. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 it sounds like with you talking about responsible up to deductible you aren't paying copays at each visit? my advice is to not pay any of your portion at the moment and wait for them to sort this out and rebill. you legally have a solid 6 months to pay on a medical bill before it's turned over to collections and i would imagine you'll have this sorted by then.
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 it's not the copay I'm currently on the hook for but the entire bill for the testing they did due to advanced maternal age.   My new insurance,  a ppo,  would cover the portion after my deductible,  but my old insurance,  an HMO, won't because it's out of that network.  

Unrelated question: how bad is it really if I have a 2nd coffee today? Had a cup at about 7am this morning (3.5 hours ago) but my neighbors shooting off fireworks till midnight last night has me completely exhausted. 
  • Options
    @bookworm887 based on the research I’ve done, a regular home-brewed coffee has around 60-100 mg of caffeine depending on type of beans, how strong you like it, size of cup, etc. Starbucks has the highest content so I’d steer away from that as much as you can. You can have up to 200 mg of caffeine so to me, that accounts to 2 cups if you need them. I usually have one in the morning and then a black tea later if I need a boost. Tea has caffeine but not as much (around 30-60 mg).