March 2019 Moms
Options

Movement Thread...kicks, punches, rolling, etc

Re: Movement Thread...kicks, punches, rolling, etc

• Options
    @mihaelams1 She totally could be breech - I have a growth us coming up in a frenzy weeks so I’lo definitely ask then. DD was head down very early on and stayed that way so I guess that could explain the totally different movements and sensations this time around 
    @mayoduck That was my initial assumption for sure - that I’m feeling hands and feet at the same time. It’s definitely odd and a bit uncomfortable. 
    Lately this little girl has decided to have a crazy dance party every night right when I lie down to go to sleep! Hope she doesn’t do this on the outside as well :smile: My belly honestly shakes back and forth for at least 20 mins each night at bed time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First pregnancy here and I've been feeling flutters since about 23 weeks, they turned to actual jabs or kicks but what is this weird feeling?  I can't even described it other than I think she's rolling or doing somersaults.  It sometimes stops me in my tracks.  I have vertigo and it makes me feel very off balance.  It's almost like someone is stirring the contents of my stomach for a minute or two.  Is this what rolling feels like?
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    First pregnancy here and I've been feeling flutters since about 23 weeks, they turned to actual jabs or kicks but what is this weird feeling?  I can't even described it other than I think she's rolling or doing somersaults.  It sometimes stops me in my tracks.  I have vertigo and it makes me feel very off balance.  It's almost like someone is stirring the contents of my stomach for a minute or two.  Is this what rolling feels like?
    I think so. My girl primarily rolls or stretches. She's not a big kicker, thank goodness because when she does kick it hurts. I'll take the few moments of nausea over constant stomach pain from being kicked too hard. I'm grateful she hasn't gotten a rib yet, because from what I have heard from a few friends is they've had theirs bruised and broken before from strong kickers.  

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been feeling kicks, jabs, and what I think is rolling or just the kid shifting positions but I've also been feeling another odd sensation lately. It's a very strong fluttering, almost like there's a little puppy inside of me scratching itself. It's very rapid and short-lived and I can't figure out what's going on in there!

@violetmarie61516 does this sound similar to the fluttering you're feeling? 
  • Options
    @bug_hunter could it be hiccups?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme I thought that, but it feels so strong, fast-paced, and short-lived that it doesn't seem like hiccups I'm familiar with... My only other thought is that he's changing positions very rapidly and I'm getting hit with all limbs at once! 
  • Options
    I think LO was barrel rolling last night while i was trying to sleep if this is the feeling you guys are saying. its definitely not kicking, but its more of a wave type motion. She may have been changing positions completely bc normally she moves here and there or kicks a few times, but the movement was constant for about at least 10 minutes straight. 
  • Options
    @zionsmama85 I got the same type of movement yesterday morning before I got out of bed. I actually checked to make sure it just wasn't the top of my pants rolling down. She moved enough it made me jump lol
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    I can't tell based on feeling how the baby is. In theory, the most movements are where the feet are. I get most of the movement lower and on the left side. But my midwives have consistently said at multiple appointments in a row that they think the baby is transverse - head down and to the left and feet up and to the right. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing Most of  the movements I'm feeling are really low, but she said it must be the hands. I also felt some hiccups low, so that's assuring. And the strong jab into my left side is supposed to be a foot, which would make total sense (and I think this guy will become a soccer player judging by his kicks!)
  • Options
    I know it's been mentioned already, but just a reminder since most of us are past or near 28 weeks - start doing kick counts! I found a good app for tracking called Kick Counter (blue logo) and am going to try and track twice a day. 

This baby is a little less active than my first, so I get nervous sometimes and find the kick counts really reassuring. With DS it usually took less than five minutes to count ten movements. This one is more like 20-30 minutes for ten movements.
  • Options
    Just echoing @lindseyb918 I brought up kick counts at my 24 week appt, knowing I wouldn't see anyone until I was almost 29 weeks. The ob kinda brushed it off, but the more research I do, I realized how important it is to do those kick counts.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Options
    I downloaded Count the Kicks app about a week ago. However, my OB told me yesterday to just make sure he is moving daily and not to worry about a specific number. I may still do the kick counts for my reassurance.
  • Options
    DS2 feels even more active than DS1. I'm rather trying to count the minutes in the day he's NOT moving :smiley: Does this kid even nap at all??? 
    But yes, if he were not so hyperactive I would be totally counting them, I read a very good article about it and it can save the baby. Even if you have a doppler at home (I do), the heartbeat takes 3 days longer to reflect the issue compared to the movements.
  • Options
    Kenneylynn3Kenneylynn3 member
    edited December 2018
    @purpleteacher82 that was kind of what my ob said, but the more I read it was stating that your lo may move 10 kicks in thirty min usually, so it's good to know if it takes almost an hour one day. That would be decreased movement for your lo is my understanding. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Options
    @govanalyst86 also anterior placenta, and I get the pressure shifts too. But I actually remember those from DS too. And sometimes along with those shifts, I can actually feel a hard spot where she’s pushing against me. 
  • Options
    Like @zionsmama85 ; the wave movement is more of what I feel that's very odd to me.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    @lelkcot yes! I randomly get the hard spot on mainly my right side. It’s like all of a sudden “oh hey baby butt”. It’s like she’s pushing off my internal organs trying to press her back against my belly skin.
  • Options
    Personal preference I suppose (and also the recommendations of your providers), but I never did kick counts with my first and likely won't with this baby. I feel movements frequently, and if I don't for a bit or something happens, like when I had a mild fall a few weeks ago, I just sit still for a bit and really pay attention until I feel the baby move a bit. My midwives encourage paying attention and making sure you're feeling movement regularly but not kick counting. 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing The way you talk about your care providers and their recommendations and attitudes makes me wish I lived in your area! I live close to a major, top-rated hospital so I know I'm in skilled and experienced hands but I have always had a hard time trusting doctors to do what's actually in the best interest of the patient and all the providers here are so... I'm not sure, uptight and by the book? Not sure exactly what it is but your care team sounds like a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone doesn’t feel their baby startle? My daughter startled all the time, but this baby I haven’t felt startle at all. I have a posterior placenta and there should be times he should startle (like today when I went up shooting) but he doesn’t. Is that something to worry about? He is super active and moves all the time. I barely feel hiccups but sometimes if I pay attention I feel them. Just worrisome I guess. Hoping he can hear. He seems to move when his sister sings to him but idk if he is just active or what. 
  • Options
    @mamakeeg I don’t think I ever felt a startle with my DD1. I haven’t felt hiccups with this one yet (28wks). I do get the occasional drum solo though.
  • Options
    @meggyme I’m 28 weeks tomorrow so I was curious. I had my daughter at 29+4 with an anterior placenta (and she was tiny) so it kinda worried me. I felt hiccups with her too. But I’m wondering if I’m not as attentive with this baby since I’m busy with her all day. He moves a ton so I wonder if I just notice that more? 
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited December 2018
    mayoduck said:
    @lovesclimbing The way you talk about your care providers and their recommendations and attitudes makes me wish I lived in your area! I live close to a major, top-rated hospital so I know I'm in skilled and experienced hands but I have always had a hard time trusting doctors to do what's actually in the best interest of the patient and all the providers here are so... I'm not sure, uptight and by the book? Not sure exactly what it is but your care team sounds like a breath of fresh air.
    Aw, thanks! We had a great experience with them with D, and I'm looking forward to using them again. 

I think most of it is probably just the nature and philosophy of out-of-hospital and midwifery care. Midwifery tends to see childbirth as a normal and natural process that occasionally can have things go wrong while the OB/hospital side of things tends to see it more medically. It tends to be more hands-off, low intervention, holistic, etc. And it can be because you have to be low risk in order to deliver OOH. And many things simply aren't an option outside the hospital like an epidural, a c-section, inductions, etc. If you need or want those, you'd have to transfer. 

I know you can find OBs with a more holistic approach, but I think it's more difficult. 

@mamakeeg, I don't think I've ever felt a startle with either pregnancy. Maybe they did, and I just didn't notice that's what it was? But I have never had a noticeable connection between a sound or something and the baby's movement, and my daughter is a healthy 18-month-old. 
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I'm not counting kicks. I'm definitely mindful of baby's movements, but I'm not bothering with counting, at least not yet. Baby is soooooooo active, counting seems silly because I feel like a decrease in movement would be obvious to me right now. Maybe going forward that won't necessarily true, but for now, I'm trying to just enjoy connecting with baby through those little kicks.  :)

@govanalyst86 every time I feel baby give me a strong kick or jab after they've been quiet for awhile, I always talk to them a little too.  <3 Love this little peanut so much already! 
  • Options
    @mamakeeg to echo what @lovesclimbing said, I also never noticed DS1 getting startled at loud sounds or anything like that. And he's 3 now and has perfect hearing (plus he's singing in tune as well! - both me and DH were in our college choir). They say the womb is very loud by itself, with all the blood flow and stuff, so I guess most sounds from the outside don't even reach them. 
  • Options
    Thanks you guys! That makes me feel a lot better :) 
  • Options
    I caught my son’s stomach bug and have thrown up more this morning than I did my entire first trimester. Why am I posting that here? Well, of all mornings little miss decides this morning mom needs a dance party and a little added feeling of motion sickness. It’s definitely not helping make my stomach feel better but it has definitely helped my anxiety about her, so I suppose I will have to suck it up and take it. 

• Options
    @bdesterhouse I’m so sorry you’re sick! The stomach bug is the worst! I hope you can stay hydrated and feel better soon!
  • Options
    Thank you, Maggie. My husband went and got me sprite that I am rotating with water. If this stays down I’m gonna try and eat.

• Options
    @bdesterhouse Ugh, so sorry to hear you’re sick! That sounds miserable and I always find being sick while pregnant so much worse / more worrisome. I hope you feel
    better soon!

• Options
    Thank you, @laur84ns. Baby has been super active today and not helping with the stomach pain, but I’d rather deal with that then her go still and have been worried something is wrong. Zofran did nothing to help :(

• Options
    @bdesterhouse I hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    Today, my stomach made an audible high-pitched sound and LO flailed in response. It was the cutest thing! I hadn't noticed him startle yet before! Glad to know that reflex is working.
  • Options
    @kristimh80 i think my baby is the same way. if i sit there with my phone or a book or anything on my stomach, she starts kicking where it is. and at my doc appt tuesday when the doc was using the doppler she definitely kicked right around where he was pushing. It cracks me up. She is feisty already lol. 
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited January 2019
    Lately I’ve been getting what feels like a foot or leg being dragged across my stomach. Sometimes it’s almost so defined I feel like I could grab her little foot.

It also does not feel good and sometimes even hurts...