November 2018 Moms
Options

Questions -- Month of September

Re: Questions -- Month of September

• Options
    @mockingjay1 DD was 3 days early. DS was 39 weeks. I'm sure I will have time, but it's all such an unknown to me. Hoping I'm overthinking it all and baby just turns so I can proceed on with what I know.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @iheartbooks I thought it was something to do with it losing its effectiveness eventually, so you won’t be protected as long in the Spring? I got my flu shot today - my OB said they recommended doing them now for anyone due in Oct, and my due date is Nov 1st. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited September 2018
    re: flu shot @iheartbooks i had the same question a couple weeks ago, timing-wise. i ended up getting it a week ago to be on the safe side because i wanted to make sure there was enough time for the babies to also develop immunity while they were in-utero.

the rest is mostly speculation on my part, so nobody take this for advice. i had heard about the waning immunity (hence the hesitation to get it so early), but then read something official that said that the flu shot doesn’t actually lose it’s effectiveness and you will have lifetime immunity to each flu strain that the shot covers. the problem is that each flu strain eventually mutates into something slightly different, and the flu shot that is designed and produced months previously for the anticipated season can’t be as potent against the eventual mutation by the springtime, and therefore is just not as effective by then. this is suppose to explain why it’s recommended to get a new flu shot every year. now, if you want to believe this theory, it thus doesn’t make sense to wait to get your flu shot; your flu shot will cover exactly what it was designed then developed to combat no matter when you get it. you don’t get a different flu shot if you wait a month. 

if anyone wants to say that is a load of crap, i won’t argue. it’s not my theory.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for all the info on the flu shot! I think I will get it now instead of trying to wait a few more weeks... hopefully I won’t get the flu in spring but honestly I can’t imagine having the flu while pregnant so probably better to protect myself now, eek! 
  • Options
    Thoughts on early induction due to size? I was induced a week late with my son and he was absolutely gigantic (10 lbs 12 oz).  I was a mess afterwards.  I needed pelvic floor physical therapy and my back pain was excruciating apparently due to the pelvic floor muscles being so damaged. The doctor at last appointment mentioned inducing a week early to hopefully avoid having such a little tank this time. I get another US next week to check on size but with my son they only estimated a 9 pounder.   I told the Dr. my gut says this one won't be as big.  She seemed to think that was wishful thinking.....

Has anyone done this? I always felt weird forcing out a not ready baby but it seems like it probably doesn't make much difference?
  • Options
    @Eveinshock wow that’s a really interesting story! I’m sorry you had to go through all that postpartum. I have heard a lot of “opposite” stories - mom is told she’s having a giant and pressured into an early induction or scheduled c-sec and then the baby ends up being a lot smaller than predicted. But I guess yours shows that u/s can be inaccurate either way! 

Maybe ask about inducing closer to your due date, or if you can evaluate how dilated/effaced you are and what station baby is in at 39w before you decide on an induction? Or insist on having multiple opinions on baby’s size? If you’re already close it might go easier either way. Sorry I’m not much help having never had an induction! 

• Options
    @Eveinshock I can’t speak for myself, but my cousin had a similar situation. She’s very small statured, 4’9 (idk if that truly matters) her first son was over 10lbs. She had a 4th degree tear, needed surgery to fix and physical therapy. It was long recovery. Her next son, she was given the option of a c-sec and decided to go with it. And honestly with her it was a good decision bc that baby was also over 10lbs as well. 
  • Options
    emjohn517 said:
    @Eveinshock I can’t speak for myself, but my cousin had a similar situation. She’s very small statured, 4’9 (idk if that truly matters) her first son was over 10lbs. She had a 4th degree tear, needed surgery to fix and physical therapy. It was long recovery. Her next son, she was given the option of a c-sec and decided to go with it. And honestly with her it was a good decision bc that baby was also over 10lbs as well. 
    I have taken care of a few patients with such bad 4th degrees and rehab that they elected to have a c-section with the next baby too. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    emjohn517 said:
    I can't even imagine a 4th degree tear. I think mine was only 2nd degree and it was painful. Fortunately I'm bigger and my son was super long (22.5 inches) and had a nice normal size head.  The pelvic muscle damage was the worst though.  Took almost a year to feel relief. I thought I had a UTI, thats what it feels like. Urgency, stinging, constanlty having to pee but only a tiny bit....exactly like a UTI.  Couldn't believe it wasn't that. 

My sister and sister in law both had C-sections a few months before I gave birth and both had much easier recoveries. No comparison actually.  They did offer that as an option also for this time.... 

While off, the ultrasound wasn't super extreme in how off it was.  They predicted 9 lbs at 39 weeks. He was born at 41 so up another lb during those 2 weeks would be normal. He was 10'12 so they were off but by less than a lb I guess.  I have one in a few days for sizing and then I will have to grill the dr's a bit more on it.....
  • Options
    @Eveinshock WOW that’s a massive baby!! Hats off, seriously. 

• Options
    @Eveinshock that is a big baby! I really like going into labor naturally, but in your situation, I would absolutely consider it especially if your doctor thinks size will be similar. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Anyone else feeling so unprepared for LO's arrival? I know my sisters want to throw a sprinkle but I doubt I will get much so it is all on us to get everything. I just feel there is so much I am forgetting to get that I will really need. Today the things I remembered that I don't have yet are nursing tops, bras, breast feeding supplies, the pump, baby monitor, and a diaper pail. 

Oh, also don't have a bag packed yet or crib or bassinet set up yet, more stuff for the list :(
  • Options
    Anyone else feeling so unprepared for LO's arrival? I know my sisters want to throw a sprinkle but I doubt I will get much so it is all on us to get everything. I just feel there is so much I am forgetting to get that I will really need. Today the things I remembered that I don't have yet are nursing tops, bras, breast feeding supplies, the pump, baby monitor, and a diaper pail. 

Oh, also don't have a bag packed yet or crib or bassinet set up yet, more stuff for the list :(
    Yes! Although I just ordered so much stuff (goodbye $$$$$) so I’ll feel better once it gets here and is sorted. I’m 33 weeks so it’s very likely I’ll have a baby in 6 weeks and I know that time is going to fly. 
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• Options
    @bfpafter4years @mockingjay1 same!!!!! I told myself all summer I would have so much time to get everything done when DD went back to preschool and i would even have time to spare for “me time” LMAO! But I spend so much time just keeping up with the day to day around here and am so exhausted I barely have time for anything else. I am due in 5.5weeks how is that possible??????

• Options
    Haha I feel super unprepared too. Got a few things crossed off my list yesterday thankfully but still have a TON to get

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited September 2018
    I feel like I haven't started getting ready but not stressed about it yet. We just started the nursery last weekend(new window and floor trim, new closet and hallway door and trim) to get the old wood look out and white in. Starting to paint but today is our 1 year anniversary so I want to spend some fun time not on baby stuff while we still can.

The weirdest feeling hit me the other day that I'm going to be a mom. Obviously this is what we wanted, and I've known this fact since getting pregnant but the reality just hit me. I am going to have a baby boy.  <3
  • Options
    +1 For feeling unprepared. Our nursery is basically storage right now and I'm waiting for my shower next week to start figuring out what we still need and start putting stuff together. My to do list is so long just looking at it makes me (more) exhausted! 
  • Options
    @ftm_jen happy 1 year anniversary!!!
  • Options
    Haha, I actually feel pretty prepared (product wise, at least) since we're reusing the nursery and all our baby girl stuff. I felt weird that I didn't need to buy too much. I'm not feeling ready to bring a new baby home yet though! It sounds so scary to have 2 kids to keep alive. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @offtoneverland same! I’m physically prepared, House is ready. Mentally, not so much. 
  • Options
    +3 for physically being ready and having all the stuff ready... but, mentally? Yeah, not so much. 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    0 preparation  :# I did order a breast pump and that’s about it. We have almost everything though bc it’s my second. I just need to get around to going through everything/washing. 
  • Options
    I feel a false sense of prepared? I ordered all the random stuff we need off amazon, and it came this week, and we just need to grab the swing, rock n play, and arms reach cosleeper from under the stairs. Going from one to two/dealing with 2U2 was SUPER rough for me, so I feel like it can’t get any worse than that was going from two to three...but I’ve also heard 3 is the hardest number of kids, so I really just don’t know what to expect! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Count me in as unprepared! We got so much closer to the nursery being done, which is great but I still have no clue when my shower is (although I think it's going to be the weekend of October 6th since my parents are getting home from their trip this coming weekend.) Honestly though, if it's not that weekend, I might just have a breakdown. I just want to clean and organize and buy what I don't get, but I can't when I don't know when my shower is.  :#
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    I'm with all you mamas on not feeling prepared. We have our nursery together (which I know the babes won't really use for a few months) and have the Baby Trend Twin Nursery Center set up in the bedroom with the twin bassinets. Plus, we've received a TON of diapers/wipes and have a small stash of NB and 0-3 month onesies. So, I feel like we're ready product wise, but I keep coming back to the fact that we're going to be solely responsible for 2 little human lives soon. I mean, obviously, I know I'm pregnant - I've seen the scans every two weeks and definitely FEEL pregnant, but I don't think it's fully registered yet that we're going to be parents to 2 babies in about 5.5 weeks (God willing they stay in that long). And, while I hope breastfeeding works out (because DAMN, formula is expensive), I'm completely intimidated by the fact that my sole purpose in life is going to be eating enough to produce enough milk - and feeding them round the clock.   
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    linz36linz36 member
    edited September 2018
    @smulrich16 we are in the same boat. I’m so excited to be a mom and I know I’m having twins but every once in a while it’s like I realize that there’s going to be two of them and I freak out momentarily lol. I’ve come to accept that I’m going to be a human milk machine with either a baby or pump attached to my breasts pretty much around the clock lol.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Options
    @linz36 Thank you for making me feel a little less crazy! I keep asking my husband if he's freaking out at all about the fact that we're going to have two infants in a matter of weeks and his response is always, "Not really...definitely not as much as you are." I know I'm the worrier/planner of the duo, so his response shouldn't surprise me, but I really felt like he might be silently freaking out, too.

Also, during the baby boot camp class we went to, a nutritionist was speaking and she said that when you're breastfeeding twins you need to consume about 1000 extra calories a day to keep up with milk production. Everyone looked at me like, "Aren't you lucky!" and all I could think of was, "Now on top of always having a baby or pump attached to me, I ALSO have to find a way to consume an extra 1000 calories?!?! Come on!!"

I'm sure we'll figure it out, but it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m jumping on to the feeling oddly unprepared train! Physically, I’m there.. like let’s do this! We have our nursery set up and have everything I could imagine we need and everything is assembled, washed, organized, and ready to go. But mentally.. OMG I’m a ball of feelings and emotions.  i
    Idk if it’s FTM jitters or if it will always feel like this towards the end. It’s almsot overwhelming sometimes to realize that in just two months we’ll have a tiny human to care for 24/7. DH looks chill about it and says he’s exited, but I wonder if he’s nervous and just putting on a brave face for me haha
    Power to you twin mamas! If I’m like this with just 1 coming, I’m in awe of you with 2 on the way!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not feeling ready to bring a new baby home yet though! It sounds so scary to have 2 kids to keep alive. 
    This.  I have a 19 month old so I know I technically have everything I need....somewhere. I haven't done or prepped one thing for this baby though and it's making it so hard to actually imagine that a baby is coming.  Like......really soon.....
  • Options
    We took our baby care boot camp class earlier this week and now I’m mildly terrified to bring this baby home! My biggest fear/FTM anxiety is the sleeping issue. They spent so much time talking about how baby can’t sleep anywhere but a bassinet, crib or pack and play because it can cut off their airway. But, I’ve seen so many people who use swings, rock and plays, etc. to get their baby to sleep. Can I use these or do I need to be careful with them? Can baby nap in their car seat? I’m so confused! 
  • Options
    Agree with @lifesabeach85, best scenario is a flat surface with nothing in it but the baby. Hopefully you’re lucky and that works from the get-go. Our pediatrician said at the two week Check up, even he had one of his babies sleeping a car seat for awhile because it’s the only place he would sleep. And a parent that is getting no sleep can be more dangerous than a baby sleeping in a rock and play or a swing.  Trust your instincts, they will kick in once the baby is here! 
  • Options
    Thank you! i know myself and would be the person that gets no sleep because I’m constantly checking to make sure baby is breathing and know that’ll make me crazy. Hearing some other experiences is helpful! 
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited September 2018
    @firsttimespartanmom that’s a really difficult question. Im also aware of the very strict guidelines for baby sleep, but the reality is for many babies they will not sleep according to the guidelines. Then what do you do? As mentioned above sleep deprivation is dangerous too. My son would not sleep in his crib as a newborn and for the first 2 weeks or so,  I can’t tell you how many times my husband or I fell asleep holding my son in the glider or in bed while we propped ourselves upright. Personally I feel like that’s more dangerous then using a rock and play or swing, and this time around I will use one of those if needed over holding her all night or bedsharing. 
  • Options
    @firsttimespartanmom We have a little cosleeper that goes in the bed. Ds would not sleep anywhere else, and I realized early on that if I didn't get at least 2 hours of sleep at a time, then I was more likely to hurt him. So, we used that. He slept much better and even stretched out his night feeds to every 3 hours, which was awesome, and I didnt feel like I was a danger to him. Like PPs mentioned, newborns rarely if ever follow the "rules" of sleep. Some babies are super special unicorns who sleep wherever and don't care, and some, like ds, could only sleep if you did a rain dance and the moon was at the right angle, etc. The point is, eventually, you need to figure out what works for you AND your baby. Remember, as with everything else, one size does NOT fit all. Newborns are individuals that come into the world with their own personalities, it's your job to make a cohesive partnership between safety and sanity. It seems overwhelming, but I promise, some primal part takes over and you will know how to make it work. 
  • Options
    @firsttimespartanmom - I agree with PPs. Sure, best thing is to follow the safe sleep guidelines, but it doesn't always happen in real life. We tried the PNP (the big part and the bassinet part) with DS and he would not sleep. We tried the swing and he didn't do great in that so we got a RNP and he finally started sleeping. For this baby we did get a chicco bassinet hoping that baby will sleep in it, but if not then we'll likely use the RNP again. Sometimes you do what you have to to survive. 
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• Options
    So, so grateful for this group and these responses. Thank you for making me feel like I’m not a crazy person! 
  • Options
    It is very stressful, especially the first time around. We have all the things to help baby sleep (dock-a-tot, snoo, rock n play, swing, etc) because I was so scarred by DD. She wouldn't sleep anywhere but on one of our chests. It was terrible and I felt so much guilt because my baby screamed bloody murder if I left her on a flat surface like her crib. Those screams still give me nightmares. Praise the Lord, DS was not like this at all and slept like a dream in his dock-a-tot. Now it's apparently unsafe to have them sleep in that, but I personally think it is a better option than sleeping on my husband's chest when he is already exhausted. Just here to say you will find what works for your family.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    So I have an embarrassing question, but hey.... pregnancy does things to your body. 

I've been doing my kegels for exercising the pelvic floor muscles, but lately I've been having issues when I sneeze. The other day I peed my pants, and now I'm terrified of going in public and doing it then... lol.  

Are there other pelvic floor exercises someone would recommend? Or just anyone going through the same thing? I've been wearing pads just in case... but I know this is going to continue to be an issue after the baby too :neutral:
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes