November 2018 Moms

Questions -- Month of September

I don't think we've had one of these in a while. I went ahead and did it for the month, but can change it back to a weekly format if that works better.

*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Questions -- Month of September

• Do any of you moms that run have a jogging stroller you swear by?
  • Started this thread selfishly to ask--should we have newborn diapers on hand or just size 1? I honestly can't remember. DD was a big baby (8lb. 5oz.) so I expect this one to be big too, but I guess you never know. I know we'll get diapers from the hospital, but I want to make sure I have enough at home too so we don't have to go to the store right away. Thoughts? 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Loading the player...
  • cpow18 said:
    Do any of you moms that run have a jogging stroller you swear by?
    We got a BOB jogging stroller before we had DD and it's a great stroller; however, we didn't keep up with our running habit. :( Not because of the stroller though, just because of life. It's a great stroller and rides really smoothly, but it still was not awesome for me to push it around because it's pretty tiring. 
    I was just browsing a facebook money-saving group and found this sale on a Baby Trend jogging stroller. I really don't know anything about it, but I'm putting the link for you here because it looks like an awesome sale, and I thought you might want to at least look into the stroller. Link here
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Started this thread selfishly to ask--should we have newborn diapers on hand or just size 1? I honestly can't remember. DD was a big baby (8lb. 5oz.) so I expect this one to be big too, but I guess you never know. I know we'll get diapers from the hospital, but I want to make sure I have enough at home too so we don't have to go to the store right away. Thoughts? 
    I got one small thing of newborn diapers just in case. My son was 9 and a half lbs and my daughter was almost 9 so neither fit into newborn diapers but you never know. It makes me feel better to have some on hand just in case. 
  • I, on the other hand, have 3 big boxes of NB diapers lol. But DD was only 4lbs at birth and started in premie diapers. So we were in NB for awhile. I made sure to get them all at my target so I can easily exchange unopened boxes for a bigger size if need be. 
  • @offtoneverland thanks for the link! Some of the reviews are kinda sketchy on the baby trend though. Like a couple people said the front wheel broke off while using
  • @cpow18 Figures. It seemed too good to be true! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @cpow18 - we love our BOB. It's SO easy to push and it folds easily and fits in the trunk of my tiny ford focus. DS will be 4 in November and we still use it for zoo trips (he walks 50ish% of the time and rides the rest) and as our main stroller (like around the giant furniture store we went to yesterday). We have the revolution flex version. To be fair we aren't runners, but we've went on tons of walks with it. You have the option to lock the front wheel for running, but I can't comment on that since we never do. It seriously is so effortless to push and steer and totally worth the splurge!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @cpow18 I love our Bobs. I wish I had a mileage counter so I knew how many miles I had on that thing. The single bob has been our main stroller for both kids. I also have a double that I’ve used consistently since having DS. Both glides super easy, but the double is a beast. I take my single everywhere. Easy to fold, fits in cars and suvs and has a good size storage spot underneath for shopping.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @cpow18 I also love the bob. It’s so great on so many types of terrain. It is really big though so if you have a small car I would not recommend it. If you’re looking for a day to day that you’re gonna be hauling in and out of the trunk for errands etc the baby jogger citi mini is better. 

@offtoneverland why not buy a box or two of Nb at the grocery store you frequent most often and tape the receipt to it. If you don’t need them, you’ll be sure to go back anyway and can return.

• Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the input!
  • @cpow18 A BOB is seriously the BEST for running! It pushes so smoothly and easily. 

@offtoneverland We used NB sized diapers for quite a while (like a couple or few big boxes of them) for both of my girls - 7lbs 4 oz and 7 lbs 5 oz. We cloth diaper, but needed those before they even fit into NB-sizes cloth diapers. I plan to buy a big box of NB diapers again. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited September 2018
    @cpow18 I got a baby trend expedition. One of my best friends has one so I was about to play around with it and push her daughter around. I love how easy it is to fold and open. She's had it for about 6 months no issues. Link in spoiler.

Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller, Phantom, 50 Pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZP3E8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_drFJBbB9DPJYB

• @cpow18 I have a Schwinn jogging stroller.  I love it. I did my half marathon, with a 30lb toddler in it. 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• @cpow18 We have the baby trend and haven't had any issues with it - although I'm not a serious runner, just jogs here and there because my DS never was occupied enough to sit in there long enough. 
    @offtoneverland We had a small pack of NB size. Don't forget to nab all the diapers given in the delivery room. The nurses said to me once the pack is opened they have to be thrown out because they are no longer sterile, so don't feel bad swiping them! 
    *Signature TW*

TTC#1 October 2014

BFP: November 2014, DS born via c-section July 2015 

TTC#2 December 2016

BFP: 12/23/16- No heartbeat at 8 weeks, D&C 01/30/17 

BFP: 03/11/17- Chemical 03/15/2017

BFP: 04/17/17- Chemical 04/22/2017 

05-10/2017 - RPL Testing/Septum Resection Surgery

11/2017-03/2018 3 Natural cycles / 2 TIC w/ trigger shot 

BFP: 03/29/18, Rainbow Baby Boy Due late November/ early December 2018  <3

• @offtoneverland maybe buy one pack but don't open it so you can return it if baby is bigger than anticipated! I'm sort of doing the same with NB clothes- so scared I will have a 10 lb baby like my husband was!
  • @offtoneverland - DS was predicted to be big so we only bought size 1 diapers and he was 9lb 14oz so I'm glad. Honestly if DD was big I wouldn't buy any NB diapers. If this girl ends up being smaller you can use what the hospital gives you and you can always fold down size 1s so they fit better especially if you'll only be in NB for a super short amount of time. Now if she comes out 6lbs I'd just send DH to the store to get some NBs.
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• How long before due date are you ladies planning on finishing work? Or STMs when did you finish work last time and what did you like/ not like about when you finished?

I'm back to work (school) this week and kind of want to have a tentative end date for planning purposes. This whole time I was planning on making my last day 12 days before due date, but now I'm thinking I would like to maybe work another week. I get a year of mat leave so I'm not too too worried about having less time with babe after it's born. I'm more worried about being home bored and freaking out about giving birth, especially if baby comes late! I know nothing is ever set in stone but I just wanted to some opinions :) 
  • @mrsdrez With DD, I worked up until the day my water broke, when I was 3 days overdue. I have a desk job though so it's not very demanding. I'm not a teacher so I can't speak to the specific demands of teaching, but I don't think it's a bad idea for you to stay at work until closer to the due date. I agree with you that I'd probably go crazy sitting at home thinking about going into labor, so personally, I'd rather stay busy and distracted at work! It probably all depends on how you're feeling physically and whether the demands of planning and being on your feet teaching might get really hard for you.
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @mrsdrez I will work until I go into labor. That’s what I’ve done with my previous two pregnancies. Time spent with my newborn is more important to me than planning a quit day. I’ll try to have everything buttoned up by 34 weeks though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited September 2018
    @mrsdrez I worked up until both my kids were born - I worked until Friday, and DD1 was born on Sunday, and worked til Saturday and DD2 was born on Monday (I used to work retail). I plan to work until this one is born, too - with such limited time off, I want ALL that time with my baby, not sitting at home waiting. If I couldn’t physically work anymore, I would be sad that I had to “waste” that time off without baby. I think with a long maternity leave like you, I would just be worried about time crawling by, but I would definitely seriously consider taking off before! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I also work until I go into labor. We don’t have maternity leave, so if I were to check out early, I would have less time with baby later. If I had the option to leave a week early, I would love too for last minute prep. Honestly I think anything more than a week would make the anticipation way too much for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD was 8lb 7oz when she was born but she still easily fit into NB diapers for the first week or so. It’s better to have them on hand and not need them than the alternative. Buy a pack but keep the receipt in case you end up not using them. One less thing to worry about :)
  • MojieJoMojieJo member
    edited September 2018
    My milk never came in (not even colostrum) with my twins so I'm in the dark here, but I have a question.

Yesterday when I took my bra off, I noticed I had a steak of dried flaky...stuff down the sides of both boobs leading from the nipples, down and out towards my armpits.  It looked off-white.  There was nothing on my bra other than the usual greasy looking nipple-shaped stains on the cops that have been there at the end of the day for months.

Then when I squeezed my nipples and my boobs around the areolae, a couple very small drops of clear liquid appeared to come out of my nipples (I could wipe it off with my finger so I definitely wasn't imagining it, though I thought it might have been a trick of the light at first).

Is that colostrum?  I'm assuming so since I don't know what else it could be.

Also, (TMI) has anyone else noticed a build-up of white, greasy gunk under the bottom curve of their nipples?  It looks almost like the "ear cheese" you get when you have stretched earlobes, but not as thick or as smelly.  I do have nipple piercings, but this isn't around them (and I keep them religiously clean), only at the base of the underside of the nipples themselves.

Not sure if it's just dead skin and sweat from my now-larger nipples being smashed by my bra or what.

ETA: I think I answered my own question about the colostrum.  I'm definitely leaking.  I just tried pressing my entire boob on both sides and enough leaked out to drip!  It's a milky clear color now that there's enough of it to actually see.

I'm not planning on breastfeeding (my medications aren't breastfeeding-friendly and I can't just not take them), but it's so exciting to have it happen anyway. :blush:
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• emjohn517emjohn517 member
    edited September 2018
    @MojieJo I’ve been leaking for a few months now. Not super bad, but if I squeeze a Nip there’s def colostrum. Though my colostrum is a dark yellow color, I’m sure it’s possible to start out clear looking. 
  • Any suggestions of questions/things to ask potential pediatricians? I have to start doing that ( I was supposed to about two weeks ago.. oops!) 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Random questions plaguing me this month-- do you burp a newborn after they feed? Common sense I'm sure, but I'm a FTM and wondering if you start that immediately or when they are a few weeks/bigger?

Also, maybe TMI but today I had a scare with bright red blood that landed me in the hospital for monitoring. All turned out ok, but I'm wondering if the blood is ACTUALLY from a potential hemorrhoid? No pain back there, but I definitely think that's the area where the blood is coming from.. anyone with experience with these? 
  • @eahayes very possible it’s a hemorrhoid. They can come and go. 

As far as burping goes, after feeding I would hold her up, like on my chest and kinda rub her back. If she needed to burp she’d ususlly do it on her own. But this all depends on if you’re nursing, or if you’re using anti gas bottles. It’s possible for them to be more gassy from breastfeeding depending on what you’re actually eating. I was always worried to do hard back pats bc she’d spew everywhere lol. Our problems were the other end, if she was gassy I’d lay her on her tummy and pump her legs to get the toots out. 
  • @eahayes - no help on the bleeding, but I'm glad everything looks ok. Yes, you offer them burps after each feeding from the get go. Some babies suck in more air than others. Breastfed babies usually burp less initially (but you still offer them a burp) because they are getting so much less volume until milk comes in.
    *TW*
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses

• @eahayes glad everything ended up ok with the bleeding. I know that must have been scary! Yes, I burp after every feeding. If I remember correctly, I think I burp in between each boob when nursing. Both of my kids have always eaten from both boobs at every nursing session, so I would try to burp in between. My kids weren't spitty, but they almost always burped. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @emjohn517-- any insight with these? Would you perhaps limit activity? Wondering if I should do a workout today or rest (have to take the rest of the week/weekend off anyway so was hoping for one good workout today!)
  • @eahayes I burped after every feed from the start. DS was difficult to get burps out of and never seemed uncomfortable or terribly gassy, but it was extra snuggle time so I never passed up the opportunity.

@mrsdrez I would talk with your OB about their predictions for how early/late you might go before making a decision. I worked until my due date then soent my entire first week waiting. It sucked. I was induced at 41 weeks and it took 2 days for D's to come. I always regret not working longer and the wasted week. If I were still working, I'd put my notice in specifying my tentative date of (when I'm 41 weeks) or until labor.

@offtoneverland DS was 8lbs 2oz at birth and spent about a month in NB diapers. I'm planning on buying a box (if I can find them, no where seems to have more than a 20 count pack!) next month but also subscribed for a box of size 1 to begin delivery through Amazon starting Oct 1st.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• @eahayes, I don’t necessarily think you have to skip a workout, just maybe modify. Cardio and leg day squats can put pressure down there. Don’t do anything bearing down for a few days. Maybe use today as upper body or yoga, or light cardio. 
  • @eahayes it could definitely be a hemmoroid or a small tear if you’ve been having trouble Pooping lately. I usually tried to burp DD after feedings but she was not a big burper. She spit up a lot though! So don’t worry if they don’t get a big burp out. 

• Anyone have any good sound soother recs under $30? We’ve been using the MyBaby SoundSpa from the beginning and it’s finally crapped out. I don’t think I’d repurchase because from the beginning we had some wiring issues with going off unless we wiggled the knob, the speaker sounding overmodulated on certain sound themes, etc.

• @MouseMama817 I was going to recommend ours but we have the MyBaby SoundSpa too. We've never had any issues with it though and we've had it for 4 years! How interesting. Hopefully you can find a good one. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @mousemama817 we used sleep sheep (cloud b white noise sound machine) for a while (I don’t know where it is now, gotta find it). Now we have a Homedics sound machine for nap time. 

• So I registered for a thermometer, just picking one of top sellers on Amazon and figured that’d be good. Someone bought it and I looked at the packaging the other day and it clearly says, do not use on newborns. Okay, so is there such a thing as a specific thermometer for newborns? Did I just pick a bad one...recommendations? Thanks!